BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #1
Bxss
Minor General
Rep
Drives: G80

Need Opinions

Hey guys, Hope your all doing well. Picked my car from the PPF shop on Friday and the cars been great. I know in my previous post I was messing around about the break-in period but Im wondering if im pushing it excessively now. I did a lot of pulls up to 5-5.5K RPM on Friday and Saturday and one pull to 6.2K RPM since I couldn't help myself. Never put the car into Sport + or D3 but im wondering if im going to experience damage by doing that. Won't be doing pulls anymore but wondering if my eagerness got the best of me! Thanks guys

(are downpipes worth the risk?)

Last edited by Bxss; 01-07-2024 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:11 PM   #2
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

downpipes don’t void maintenance. they don’t even void all of your warranty. just powertrain if tuned. it’s debatable if untuned they’ll void your powertrain or not.

also, you’re fine as far as the break in. i follow the break in procedures, but plenty of people don’t and are still fine.

edit: you just edited it down pipes are worth it, and they are in combination with a tune if you’re okay with losing your warranty. a lot of power to be had with down pipes and a tune
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      01-07-2024, 08:13 PM   #3
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxss View Post
Hey guys, Hope your all doing well. Picked my car from the PPF shop on Friday and the cars been great. I know in my previous post I was messing around about the break-in period but Im wondering if im pushing it excessively now. I did a lot of pulls up to 5-5.5K RPM on Friday and Saturday and one pull to 6.2K RPM since I couldn't help myself. Never put the car into Sport + or D3 but im wondering if im going to experience damage by doing that. Won't be doing pulls anymore but wondering if my eagerness got the best of me! Thanks guys

What does "pulls to 5.5k" mean? Speak English. Does that mean full throttle?
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      01-07-2024, 08:15 PM   #4
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
What does "pulls to 5.5k" mean? Speak English. Does that mean full throttle?
Hahaha i would lean into the throttle and shift up when i reach 5500 RPM. no stepdowns
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:16 PM   #5
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy6ix0 View Post
downpipes don’t void maintenance. they don’t even void all of your warranty. just powertrain if tuned. it’s debatable if untuned they’ll void your powertrain or not.

also, you’re fine as far as the break in. i follow the break in procedures, but plenty of people don’t and are still fine.

edit: you just edited it down pipes are worth it, and they are in combination with a tune if you’re okay with losing your warranty. a lot of power to be had with down pipes and a tune
Thanks for the info! I just don’t want something bad to happen if i got a down pipe, Well i guess we all know the game hahaha! Wanted to also get a JB4 do you know warranty with that? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:20 PM   #6
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hahaha i would lean into the throttle and shift up when i reach 5500 RPM. no stepdowns
The break in procedure clearly states to avoid full throttle and kickdowns under all circumstances.

I would trust what the the manual states over what a bunch of posers on bimmerpost say on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:24 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you’re still in the break-in period then “getting on it” is a very bad idea since break in oil is meant to wash manufacturing particles out of your engine, and not to provide shear protection. You could be grinding tiny metal bits into your bearings (high load squishes the oil film thinner) instead of letting the oil wash through (light load has more clearance so less scrape).

I hope you don’t want to be that guy who hears from BMW that they’re glitter in your oil, but they say your drive recorder shows you’ve been Hooning, so the $30K engine swap is not covered by warranty.

Downpipes dont void warranty. Using a tune to turn off the O2 sensor CEL will void warranty. Some get spacers or mini-cats to work.
      01-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #8
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If you’re still in the break-in period then “getting on it” is a very bad idea since break in oil is meant to wash manufacturing particles out of your engine, and not to provide shear protection. You could be grinding tiny metal bits into your bearings (high load squishes the oil film thinner) instead of letting the oil wash through (light load has more clearance so less scrape).

I hope you don’t want to be that guy who hears from BMW that they’re glitter in your oil, but they say your drive recorder shows you’ve been Hooning, so the $30K engine swap is not covered by warranty.

Downpipes dont void warranty. Using a tune to turn off the O2 sensor CEL will void warranty. Some get spacers or mini-cats to work.
I wonder if they check the oil. I have my doubts personally. They probably just drain like any other change and move on.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      01-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #9
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:

no way... I didn't know that driving hard will void warranty.. I have drive recorder so maybe I should turn it off or clear it until break-in service is done. So do you think that Irreversible damage is done from the last 2 days?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:33 PM   #10
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no way... I didn't know that driving hard will void warranty.. I have drive recorder so maybe I should turn it off or clear it until break-in service is done. So do you think that Irreversible damage is done from the last 2 days?
How much did you pay for this car?
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      01-07-2024, 08:35 PM   #11
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
How much did you pay for this car?
I am not sure how this relates to the question. But i paid 6figures and includes extended warranty and wheel and tire package
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:40 PM   #12
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:

I'm sure BMW was just kidding about taking it easy on your new car during break-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:44 PM   #13
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not sure how this relates to the question. But i paid 6figures and includes extended warranty and wheel and tire package
So you spent 6 figures on this car and didn't bother to take 10 mins out of your schedule to sit down and read the owners manual. I mean it's pretty clear in there that you aren't supposed to go full throttle on it. All it takes is a bit of delayed gratification to ensure the thing is properly cared for during the break in. Your engine is not going to explode over it but I wouldn't touch your car on the used market.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      01-07-2024, 08:47 PM   #14
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
So you spent 6 figures on this car and didn't bother to take 10 mins out of your schedule to sit down and read the owners manual. I mean it's pretty clear in there that you aren't supposed to go full throttle on it. All it takes is a bit of delayed gratification to ensure the thing is properly cared for during the break in. Your engine is not going to explode over it but I wouldn't touch your car on the used market.
I did read the owners manual… Page 282 it explains what RPM i can’t exceed for what mileage. my question was whether i was going to experience irreversible damage over a couple of pulls
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:16 PM   #15
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did read the owners manual… Page 282 it explains what RPM i can’t exceed for what mileage. my question was whether i was going to experience irreversible damage over a couple of pulls
You said you did a lot of them. Not a couple. It's not something I would have been comfortable doing to my own 6 figure car, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:23 PM   #16
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
The answer is you may have done something internally but you won’t know and can’t tell without a tear down and detailed examination. No need for that at this point. BTW, the drive recorder I was talking about is the memory of the DME (car computer) which logs the running parameters and when certain values are exceeded (poor fuel used, too high RPM, too much boost, etc.). You can clear the video recorder but not the DME memory.

Until you finish the first 1300mi “by the book” please no more playing around. Let your car warm up for a full 2 minutes before any gas pedal or driving, and 5min min is better. Drive easy in Efficient mode with engine in D1 or S1 and keep the RPMs as indicated in the owners manual. Take a long drive daily to fully get the engine and drivetrain warmed up, and you’ll be done early break-in in a week or two.

After you get the break in service done, when they put BMW TPT oil in your engine and also swap out your diff oil, you still want to fully warm up the car daily and to drive below the indicated RPM for another 500-1000. After that, Hoon away!

The whole purpose of the break-in procedure is to bring the engine and drivetrain up to full running temperature so the metal flexes and stretches, to allow any metal particles or debris to be washed out by the oil. It’s not to seat the rings, because our engines have twin-wire coated cylinders, so rings seat in the factory during first running. The factory does not get the engines up to temperature during the first run, and that’s why the owners manual has the break-in process we follow.
      01-07-2024, 10:05 PM   #17
yolodaddy69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 BG Cx former: '15 F80

I treated my car the exact same during break in and it’s fine. Don’t worry too much. Maybe it will explode at 15k miles, who knows. I’ll
Let you know if that happens.
Appreciate 1
Bxss85.00
      01-07-2024, 10:54 PM   #18
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Meh, I'm sure the guys at the PPF shop drove it harder than you did. Just don't make it a habit.

Not sure why you think the drive recorder will make any difference, the car has like a black box of sorts and is pretty much in contact with BMW at all times.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 05:51 AM   #19
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

If the break-in process was so critical it would have been done at the factory or there would have been limits set into the computer. To start with you have no control over what happens to the car before you take delivery. There will always be miles on the car when you get it due to transportation from the factory to you. Next, you wii be driving the car on the road and not on a chassis dyno so all sort of situations could arise that requires you to break the break-in recommendations. I had a situation during my break-in where the shifter got bumped at a stop sign and I was in manual shift when I pulled out quickly and tried to merge into traffic. The RPMs climb quickly in 1st gear and I was at the redline before I realized the car wasn't going to shift on it's own and was able to shift gears myself. The break-in conditions in the manual are not absolutes but things you should try to do and not do. If you do a redline or have to go full throttle due to traffic conditions it doesn't mean you need to replace the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:11 AM   #20
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroricardo View Post
Meh, I'm sure the guys at the PPF shop drove it harder than you did. Just don't make it a habit.
What possible reason would the PPF place have for driving your car anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:35 AM   #21
Bxss
Minor General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolodaddy69 View Post
I treated my car the exact same during break in and it’s fine. Don’t worry too much. Maybe it will explode at 15k miles, who knows. I’ll
Let you know if that happens.
you'll get 5k miles if your lucky
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 06:37 AM   #22
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:

I think this depends on dealer…Some will flag the car during service if there are DP’s installed. They can also check for JB4/Racechip as well.

OP it’s best to assume that DP’s will get your car flagged and if you have a subsequent drivetrain issue (Engine, trans, diff) you’ve got a big fight on your hands. (And BMW has deep pockets)

As for break in if you’re not using the kickdown and not WOT shifting you should be ok. That said don’t be beating on the car, it’s only 1200 miles.