BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-18-2024, 06:46 PM   #45
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
Can this be used to activate an 'App' or 'Shortcut'
Kind of, it can launch the first widget(and i guess the first app all apps/infotainment/vehicle apps) in idrive8 for now, they haven't figured out how to rotate the controller yet.

Last edited by forcefed; 04-18-2024 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
turbojg341.50
      04-18-2024, 07:20 PM   #46
canDO_Stef
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Kind of, it can launch the first widget(and i guess the first app all apps/infotainment/vehicle apps) in idrive8 for now, they haven't figured out how to rotate the controller yet.
We haven't added support for iDrive controller rotation, engineering is working on it, it's currently well-understood, and is a question of finalizing the code and QA.

As for launching shortcuts, unless there is a way to do so without using the touchscreen, we'll have to do some deeper investigating. Or folks can use the workaround you suggest in the meantime!
Appreciate 1
turbojg341.50
      04-18-2024, 07:41 PM   #47
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canDO_Stef View Post
As for launching shortcuts, unless there is a way to do so without using the touchscreen, we'll have to do some deeper investigating. Or folks can use the workaround you suggest in the meantime!
Shortcuts can be accessed with the controller up function, but then you need to rotate the controller to access the other 7 shortcuts.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2024, 10:35 PM   #48
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Mdm and then dsc off makes no sense, just set it to dsc off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
if you're trying to launch in 4WD sport instead of 4WD, you can do that but you need to do it the other way around - DSC off first, then 4WD sport. Setting MDM mode will automatically switch to 4WD sport but then setting DSC OFF will revert the xdrive setting back to 4WD. Cando hasn't added the direct xdrive settings yet ( i believe they will be adding them in a future update) but for now you can create a custom action as follows -

M xDrive 4WD Sport - 383#FFFF0900000000C0

Then change your TEL touch trigger to first set DSC OFF, then set 4WD Sport using the custom action.
Alright I'll change that. I thought since DSC and 4WD/4WD Sport/2WD were different options that I needed to do both. Thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:06 PM   #49
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
So this will be supported very soon!

Engineering shared this today (see red outlines)

Triggers:

Actions:

They also ask whether you think an "On Boot" trigger would be useful?

Please let me know!

Stephanie
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:59 PM   #50
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So this will be supported very soon!

Engineering shared this today (see red outlines)

Triggers:

Actions:

They also ask whether you think an "On Boot" trigger would be useful?

Please let me know!

Stephanie
Awesome very nice

On boot as in press the start button without starting the car? In that case that would be good to get rid of the "press ok" nag screen with a controller press action, definitely include it. I have it set on engine start now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 05:59 PM   #51
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
Awesome very nice

On boot as in press the start button without starting the car? In that case that would be good to get rid of the "press ok" nag screen with a controller press action, definitely include it. I have it set on engine start now.
This came back as "on device boot, but maybe we can look into driver door open as a trigger as well, which is just about when this stuff happens".

My take is: this'll be looked into for sure!
Appreciate 1
forcefed2567.00
      04-25-2024, 08:14 AM   #52
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

This may end up being a 'dumb' question but it's obvious what a "Long Press" is as is a "Press" but what distinguishes a "Touch" from a "Press"? I wasn't aware that there was anything built into buttons to sense a "Touch" of the button rather than it being "Pressed".
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:19 AM   #53
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
This may end up being a 'dumb' question but it's obvious what a "Long Press" is as is a "Press" but what distinguishes a "Touch" from a "Press"? I wasn't aware that there was anything built into buttons to sense a "Touch" of the button rather than it being "Pressed".
the buttons are touch sensitive, touch is putting your finger on the button without pressing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:58 AM   #54
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the buttons are touch sensitive, touch is putting your finger on the button without pressing it.
Oh WOW! I didn't realize that. Is that for all of them or just certain ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:15 AM   #55
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh WOW! I didn't realize that. Is that for all of them or just certain ones?
All of them on the center control module, not all of them are currently available in cando but i believe they will add the rest eventually. From a usability perspective though it is tricky to find good uses for these, since you obviously can't press a button without also touching it and the button still needs to perform its original function as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:25 AM   #56
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
All of them on the center control module, not all of them are currently available in cando but i believe they will add the rest eventually. From a usability perspective though it is tricky to find good uses for these, since you obviously can't press a button without also touching it and the button still needs to perform its original function as well.
First, huge shoutout to you Chris. You've been awesome at feeding us some excellent findings using the CAN debugging tools of canDO+. You are no stranger to these future improvements!

On the second point, I think an earlier version might have had a problem with the Touch events being triggered on Press, but that has been resolved some time ago. A touch is effectively triggered only when the finger is lifted off from the button. If there is a press in between, the initial touch does not fire.

Effectively, a touch is a touch, and a press is a press.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #57
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
First, huge shoutout to you Chris. You've been awesome at feeding us some excellent findings using the CAN debugging tools of canDO+. You are no stranger to these future improvements!

On the second point, I think an earlier version might have had a problem with the Touch events being triggered on Press, but that has been resolved some time ago. A touch is effectively triggered only when the finger is lifted off from the button. If there is a press in between, the initial touch does not fire.

Effectively, a touch is a touch, and a press is a press.
thanks

oh interesting on the touch function, i just tried it and you're right, except for the DSC Touch. That one triggers on the initial touch and not the release, and it's the one i had tested this on and i just assumed they all worked the same way.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #58
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
thanks

oh interesting on the touch function, i just tried it and you're right, except for the DSC Touch. That one triggers on the initial touch and not the release, and it's the one i had tested this on and i just assumed they all worked the same way.
DSC touch is very different from the others. While iDrive buttons fire a single "touch on / touch off", DSC continually fires a touch event. Not sure how that can be used in a good manner, but you guys are so creative!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 03:49 PM   #59
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well that was short-lived! Was playing around associating some different buttons and the app froze. Checked my WIFI connection and CANDO no longer shows up in my available WIFI connections list. Tried another device and it doesn't show up there either. Restarted the car several times and played around for about an hour and nothing.

Put an email into CANDO support but was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar.

Update: Talked to Stef and he was a tremendous help. Had to press and hold the 'Option' button on the shift console for 5 seconds to turn on the WIFI again. I believe I may have messed something up when I was trying to associate the option button.

Last edited by turbojg; 04-25-2024 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 06:32 PM   #60
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
Well that was short-lived! Was playing around associating some different buttons and the app froze. Checked my WIFI connection and CANDO no longer shows up in my available WIFI connections list. Tried another device and it doesn't show up there either. Restarted the car several times and played around for about an hour and nothing.

Put an email into CANDO support but was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar.

Update: Talked to Stef and he was a tremendous help. Had to press and hold the 'Option' button on the shift console for 5 seconds to turn on the WIFI again. I believe I may have messed something up when I was trying to associate the option button.
I'm a she, but you couldn't know that :-)

Glad we sorted it out! OPTION Long Press is reserved for WiFi toggle.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:22 PM   #61
big_ed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I would love this way more if only the M2 button turned on M mode. I prefer the M1 button stay on the normal screen. Anyway to get this like that?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 04:58 AM   #62
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed View Post
I would love this way more if only the M2 button turned on M mode. I prefer the M1 button stay on the normal screen. Anyway to get this like that?
Hi!

Currently no, but we are working on that. The device keeps improving with firmware updates as more research is done and the user base expands.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:19 AM   #63
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a she, but you couldn't know that :-)
A thousand apologies! A poor assumption on my part. Doesn't change the fact that you were a tremendous help. I wish all companies were as responsive when it comes to after sales support.

Forgot to mention... but if it hasn't been asked for yet, (in configuring the car for various performance levels) having access to the (3) transmission levels would be great. I would also be one interested in accessing the M1 and M2 buttons separately as triggers.

Last edited by turbojg; 04-26-2024 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:06 AM   #64
canDO_Stef
Rep

Quote:
A thousand apologies! A poor assumption on my part. Doesn't change the fact that you were a tremendous help. I wish all companies were as responsive when it comes to after sales support.

Forgot to mention... but if it hasn't been asked for yet, (in configuring the car for various performance levels) having access to the (3) transmission levels would be great. I would also be one interested in accessing the M1 and M2 buttons separately as triggers.
No worries!

At this point, we think the Drivelogic stuff is not accessible. We can only see its settings, but not change them. This may change in time as more is discovered.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 12:40 PM   #65
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi CanDO-Stef, How is the next update coming? I would love to have the Controller CW and CCW for an association I would like to create. I would like to get to the center screen bar graphs in the sport mode. Unless someone has a better way to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 01:46 PM   #66
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi CanDO-Stef, How is the next update coming? I would love to have the Controller CW and CCW for an association I would like to create. I would like to get to the center screen bar graphs in the sport mode. Unless someone has a better way to do that.
You have to make that the first widget, then use controller right and controller press to start it if you don't have cw/ccw controls yet.
Appreciate 0