BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-27-2023, 10:06 AM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanhfx View Post
That's just not true. There are a few videos going over this service where BMW service techs state do not go over by 100's of miles, and requires BMW Corporate approval for continued warranty. Going 2000 or 3000 miles would certainly result in losing warranty. It's a 1200 mile service, not 2000 or 3000.
It's very true. There are people on BP that have gone 3-4k+ miles and still gotten BMW to honor the warranty. As long as you're not taking it on the track or pushing it too hard they don't care.

I personally got approval from BMW directly that even past 3k miles (during the diff fluid shortage) I wouldn't have any issues with warranty. Luckily I got it done at a normal time (1300 miles) but it's entirely possible to have zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #24
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
It's very true. There are people on BP that have gone 3-4k+ miles and still gotten BMW to honor the warranty. As long as you're not taking it on the track or pushing it too hard they don't care.

I personally got approval from BMW directly that even past 3k miles (during the diff fluid shortage) I wouldn't have any issues with warranty. Luckily I got it done at a normal time (1300 miles) but it's entirely possible to have zero issues.
While what you are saying maybe true in specific circumstances. It’s not 100%. Not even related to OP original question. U had a specific situation with fluid shortage. I don’t know why anyone would go for 3k miles. That’s absurd.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #25
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

Quote:

Yeah Ok....I'll take a BMW service tech on video stating facts over what you said. 4000+ mile break in service with full warranty? Not likely.
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #26
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah Ok....I'll take a BMW service tech on video stating facts over what you said. 4000+ mile break in service with full warranty? Not likely.
"BMW Service Techs" are also on record saying they "unlock full power" during break-in service. They're not corporate and they're not engineers. There's no "timer" of how long you have to go over 1200 before big-bad BMW comes in and voids your warranty. It's *absolutely* not "100s of miles"

If you have extenuating circumstances, and you let the dealer know about why you may not be able to get the service done in time, you'll have zero issues. If you track the car out of 0 miles and bring it in at 5k without telling anyone? Sure you'll have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
While what you are saying maybe true in specific circumstances. It’s not 100%. Not even related to OP original question. U had a specific situation with fluid shortage. I don’t know why anyone would go for 3k miles. That’s absurd.
My point was, this isn't uncommon. There's plenty of reasons why people might not be able to make it in by 1200 miles. 2-3k miles is not anywhere close to the amount you'd need for BMW to throw a fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 01:43 AM   #27
Seanhfx
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY23 M3 Comp Edition 50 Jahre

Quote:
"BMW Service Techs" are also on record saying they "unlock full power" during break-in service. They're not corporate and they're not engineers. There's no "timer" of how long you have to go over 1200 before big-bad BMW comes in and voids your warranty. It's *absolutely* not "100s of miles"

If you have extenuating circumstances, and you let the dealer know about why you may not be able to get the service done in time, you'll have zero issues. If you track the car out of 0 miles and bring it in at 5k without telling anyone? Sure you'll have problems.

My point was, this isn't uncommon. There's plenty of reasons why people might not be able to make it in by 1200 miles. 2-3k miles is not anywhere close to the amount you'd need for BMW to throw a fit.
You do you bud. Spewing BS that a 3000-4000 mile break in service that is due at 1200 won't cause any issues, nor void warranty. LMFAO.

I wouldn't want to buy any of your used cars!
2017 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #28
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You do you bud. Spewing BS that a 3000-4000 mile break in service that is due at 1200 won't cause any issues, nor void warranty. LMFAO.

I wouldn't want to buy any of your used cars!
Not BS at all. Call your dealer if you don't believe me. Don't believe everything you read from everyone on the internet.
Appreciate 0