///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by prompt View Post
I've got a washing machine too mate
Washing machine and does that?! lol
If that's a washing machine what's yours?!

Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      12-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #24
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Where's the sound though
I didn't hear it because I was too fast ultrasonically , but heard something farting so hard in my tail called McLaren with an ever fading sweet exhaust sound lol, messing with you!
I actually Love McLaren, what a machine!

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:27 AM   #25
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

I grant it’s very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I’d like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that’s perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don’t get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it’s no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it’s the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don’t mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:28 AM   #26
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Haters gonna hate - out of jealousy or ignorance (or low funds lol) Enjoy that rocket ship to the fullest !
Appreciate 2
soooma1376.50
Sedoy680.00
      12-05-2021, 02:36 AM   #27
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i'd love to test one out. i'm sure the acceleration is other worldy

but i know i'd get bored of it in a couple weeks.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:55 AM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
I grant it's very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I'd like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that's perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don't get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it's no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it's the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don't mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Only 2 4 door sedans of any kind have been faster around the Nurburgring according to Motor Trend. Not sure if the other two were unmodified like the Tesla.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...elon-musk/amp/

In modified form it is even more impressive

Anyway, all that matters is what the owner thinks of the experience. In this case we have the OP that owns an M8 and a 911. Probably would know of it has bad brakes etc.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 03:28 AM   #29
MrMick
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Nice Tesla!
I’ve an electric Renault that I use for work and I love it, electric is so smooth & very cheep to run.
I also have an X3 which I want to turn into an off roader.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #30
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Only 2 4 door sedans of any kind have been faster around the Nurburgring according to Motor Trend. Not sure if the other two were unmodified like the Tesla.

Anyway, all that matters is what the owner thinks of the experience. In this case we have the OP that owns an M8 and a 911. Probably would know of it has bad brakes etc.
Flat out wrong. I just picked one, the Alfa, and immediately found an official video from Alfa Romeo documenting the lap at 7:32 (Tesla did 7:35):

https://youtu.be/5gEdJmIVqLY

Tesla is such a showman. He posts two times on his Twitter (7:30 and 7:35) with absolutely no explanation. Many articles (including that one you posted which had to include a correction at the top) thought the 7:30 was the lap record because you know, lower number, but turns out the 7:30 was not a full lap (it eliminates a section of the track so is shorter). Another article analyzing this more dispassionately:

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/is-teslas-new-lap-record-legitimate/

I quote from that article:

“OBSERVATION 3: 7m35s on a Nordschleife that is unarguably faster than ever before isn’t particularly amazing for a 1000-hp car. It’s just ahead of the 2.0-litre hatchbacks and 2-ton SUVs, but significantly behind the 600hp 4-door saloons and a country-mile behind the ‘proper’ sportscars.”

Stock cars that are only 600HP ish (like the Alfa) easily beat the Tesla for half the price.

Again, the Tesla is amazingly fast in a straight line if you want to stop once, but it’s a party trick. I almost put a deposit down for the Tesla Roadster hoping it would be a real performance car but knew he would never deliver it on time (he hasn’t). Speaking of which, when the plaid set that time, Elon promised a track mode within a few weeks. And of course that was nearly 3 months ago and he has again failed to deliver on time.

He also suggested that tuners make it better (like adding carbon ceramics and aero) to make it actually fast on the ‘Ring - classic Elon Musk.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3566.00
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #31
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Haters gonna hate - out of jealousy or ignorance (or low funds lol) Enjoy that rocket ship to the fullest !
Considering you posted that 1 minute after my analysis, not sure if you were aiming that at me? If so, I thought I proved I did my research (“ignorance”), and also already own cars already that are significantly more expensive than the Plaid (addressing low funds/jealousy).

Tesla has a very loyal fan base that do not question them, and whenever a weakness is shown, the person is branded a “jealous hater”. The artificial halo they try to create is crazy. They don’t let you test drive a plaid. Or get near one. The last car I test drove (me driving, myself, about 2 months ago) was a McLaren Elva - that’s $1.7 million starting. Before that, a Ferrari F8 Tributo ($400K), the latter which they gave me the keys and I drove for a couple hours without them. Tesla? I have a whole text conversation with them saying how they never test drive them and want you to just buy it. The rep at the dealership said that he recommended I buy it then sell it if I don’t like it. They had a new Model S at the dealer - literally only employees were allowed near it - the salesperson took me around the forecourt to get as close as possible to see it. The salesperson himself had only been in a plaid because one of his customers let him! Insane.

Oh, and they had about 12 plaids in stock ready to pick up right now. In a shortage. Hmmm.

I am going to rent one though. Near me Turo have 4 available for rent right now. So maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but I have some regular stomping grounds around here that should put it through it’s paces, so I’ll give it a fair go.

Either way, I sincerely hope the OP is happy with it!

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 07:33 AM   #32
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Flat out wrong. I just picked one, the Alfa, and immediately found an official video from Alfa Romeo documenting the lap at 7:32 (Tesla did 7:35):

Tesla is such a showman. He posts two times on his Twitter (7:30 and 7:35) with absolutely no explanation. Many articles (including that one you posted which had to include a correction at the top) thought the 7:30 was the lap record because you know, lower number, but turns out the 7:30 was not a full lap (it eliminates a section of the track so is shorter). Another article analyzing this more dispassionately:

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/is-te...rd-legitimate/

I quote from that article:

"OBSERVATION 3: 7m35s on a Nordschleife that is unarguably faster than ever before isn't particularly amazing for a 1000-hp car. It's just ahead of the 2.0-litre hatchbacks and 2-ton SUVs, but significantly behind the 600hp 4-door saloons and a country-mile behind the 'proper' sportscars."

Stock cars that are only 600HP ish (like the Alfa) easily beat the Tesla for half the price.

Again, the Tesla is amazingly fast in a straight line if you want to stop once, but it's a party trick. I almost put a deposit down for the Tesla Roadster hoping it would be a real performance car but knew he would never deliver it on time (he hasn't). Speaking of which, when the plaid set that time, Elon promised a track mode within a few weeks. And of course that was nearly 3 months ago and he has again failed to deliver on time.

He also suggested that tuners make it better (like adding carbon ceramics and aero) to make it actually fast on the 'Ring - classic Elon Musk.

Thanks!

S.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times

The Alfa is indeed impressive. Not only is is ahead of the Tesla Plaid, but it is also ahead of the M5 Competition. The Plaid is ahead of the M5 as well.

With new ceramic brakes and the upcoming track mode on the Plaid, I am assuming it would get even faster. Plus you can add more track ready tires in there.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #33
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Considering you posted that 1 minute after my analysis, not sure if you were aiming that at me? If so, I thought I proved I did my research (“ignorance”), and also already own cars already that are significantly more expensive than the Plaid (addressing low funds/jealousy).

Tesla has a very loyal fan base that do not question them, and whenever a weakness is shown, the person is branded a “jealous hater”. The artificial halo they try to create is crazy. They don’t let you test drive a plaid. Or get near one. The last car I test drove (me driving, myself, about 2 months ago) was a McLaren Elva - that’s $1.7 million starting. Before that, a Ferrari F8 Tributo ($400K), the latter which they gave me the keys and I drove for a couple hours without them. Tesla? I have a whole text conversation with them saying how they never test drive them and want you to just buy it. The rep at the dealership said that he recommended I buy it then sell it if I don’t like it. They had a new Model S at the dealer - literally only employees were allowed near it - the salesperson took me around the forecourt to get as close as possible to see it. The salesperson himself had only been in a plaid because one of his customers let him! Insane.

Oh, and they had about 12 plaids in stock ready to pick up right now. In a shortage. Hmmm.

I am going to rent one though. Near me Turo have 4 available for rent right now. So maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but I have some regular stomping grounds around here that should put it through it’s paces, so I’ll give it a fair go.

Either way, I sincerely hope the OP is happy with it!

Thanks!

S.
I suppose Tesla is just making up their sales numbers or demand for their cars. Or they could be better at managing their supply chain…

https://www.barrons.com/amp/articles...ge-51633353718

As they say, haters gonna be haters. Even rich ones. LOL.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #34
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not so fast (excuse the pun) - before you accuse Tesla of obfuscating.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/am...ing-explainer/

Also, I would take Motor Trend's position that the Tesla was the third fastest 4 door sedan over your assumption of which number to use.

But my main point was that the OP was the one who was appreciating his Plaid after owning other cars as well. It looks like you are hell bent on saying why his experience is not real.

Also, I posted the Pike's Peak video since at some point the Tesla can be modified as well. Plus, we should see track mode on the Plaid soon and Tesla just announced ceramic brakes for the Plaid, which will further shave time off.

You are coming off as being disappointed that people like the Plaid. LOL. No need to pull others down…
Um, this is a forum for discussion. And I want to like the Plaid. I said I have spoken to Tesla about getting one more than once. But I’m not going to blindly buy one. Also, not sure what you mean by third? There are a bunch of official times that are quicker in 4-door sedans - I only gave one example with evidence. It’s not an opinion Motortrend have published inaccuracies (proven in the article you posted with their own “update”), so I would suggest some research beyond Motortrend

I’m not hell bent on bringing down the OP’s appreciation of his new car - I’ve agreed 100% that the car is fast in a straight line. Faster than most cars on the planet, and probably a lot of fun. I’m just adding a balanced view that the Plaid isn’t the fastest on a track - and since both roads and tracks tend to have corners, we should evaluate both. A lot of people have commented tongue in cheek on this thread about the plaid.

As for obfuscating, yeah, they did - and he does it all the time. If not we wouldn’t need an explainer article Also not saying Tesla obfuscated - I’m saying their commander in chief did, and he goes off the reservation all the time.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #35
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I suppose Tesla is just making up their sales numbers or demand for their cars. Or they could be better at managing their supply chain…

I’m saying Tesla have a lot of Plaid’s in stock. That’s all. I didn’t say they lied about numbers. I didn’t say they aren’t selling (because I haven’t researched their production/sales numbers). I just was shocked that they were not sold out - and I’m assuming Tesla are pretty surprised too.

It’s hard to have a discussion when ad hominem arguments are made. So that being said I will leave this discussion here. Again, congrats on the purchase to the OP!

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I grant it’s very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I’d like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that’s perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don’t get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it’s no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it’s the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don’t mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Not sure if you were here, but we proved on this page that carbon ceramic brakes are worthless.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #37
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm saying Tesla have a lot of Plaid's in stock. That's all. I didn't say they lied about numbers. I didn't say they aren't selling (because I haven't researched their production/sales numbers). I just was shocked that they were not sold out - and I'm assuming Tesla are pretty surprised too.

It's hard to have a discussion when ad hominem arguments are made. So that being said I will leave this discussion here. Again, congrats on the purchase to the OP!

Thanks!

S.
What exactly is your point? That Tesla didn't make a perfect car? That demand is low for the Plaid? Low compared to what other car did you have in mind?

Can you list the 4 door sedans that are ranked above the Plaid? Would be good to know…

You do know Tesla now has better brakes and with a software update should have max speed increased to 200MPH.

It's like you are attacking the OP for saying he thinks the Plaid is great! Also, all Elon did was to post his ticket and I posted why there are 2 numbers. Also, I don't agree with a lot of stuff Elon Musk says…

Looks like you have an axe to grind against the Plaid. Why can't you just appreciate that the OP likes his Plaid?

Their website shows no Plaids in Inventory. As far as I know Tesla doesn't have regular dealers with stock on their lots. Where are you seeing this inventory? You can order one and get it in Dec vs waiting for mid 2022 for other models/versions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedoy680.00
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #38
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Not so fast (excuse the pun) - before you accuse Tesla of obfuscating.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/am...ing-explainer/

Also, I would take Motor Trend's position that the Tesla was the third fastest 4 door sedan over your assumption of which number to use.

But my main point was that the OP was the one who was appreciating his Plaid after owning other cars as well. It looks like you are hell bent on saying why his experience is not real.

Also, I posted the Pike's Peak video since at some point the Tesla can be modified as well. Plus, we should see track mode on the Plaid soon and Tesla just announced ceramic brakes for the Plaid, which will further shave time off.

You are coming off as being disappointed that people like the Plaid. LOL. No need to pull others down…
Um, this is a forum for discussion. And I want to like the Plaid. I said I have spoken to Tesla about getting one more than once. But I’m not going to blindly buy one. Also, not sure what you mean by third? There are a bunch of official times that are quicker in 4-door sedans - I only gave one example with evidence. It’s not an opinion Motortrend have published inaccuracies (proven in the article you posted with their own “update”), so I would suggest some research beyond Motortrend

I’m not hell bent on bringing down the OP’s appreciation of his new car - I’ve agreed 100% that the car is fast in a straight line. Faster than most cars on the planet, and probably a lot of fun. I’m just adding a balanced view that the Plaid isn’t the fastest on a track - and since both roads and tracks tend to have corners, we should evaluate both. A lot of people have commented tongue in cheek on this thread about the plaid.

As for obfuscating, yeah, they did - and he does it all the time. If not we wouldn’t need an explainer article Also not saying Tesla obfuscated - I’m saying their commander in chief did, and he goes off the reservation all the time.
I fucking love Eli!!! Just keep that stock going up and I couldn't give 2 shits what he says/does or anything else. Been killing it with Tesla stock.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #39
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Not sure if you were here, but we proved on this page that carbon ceramic brakes are worthless.
Wait, in general or on the Plaid? Because I have CCB on some cars and steel on others and I can guarantee you that CCB is better in every circumstance. On track it has the ultimate fade resistance - CCB’s don’t shorten stopping distance on one stop vs one stop on steel, but it definitely does on endurance (lap after lap).

As for street, it has virtually zero wear and zero brake dust. So you essentially never have to change your brakes if you don’t track.

Also, not sure if you’ve picked up a CCB rotor but it’s so lightweight it feels like it’s fake! So the unsprung weight is significantly reduced. Consider that the average weight saving would be about 40-50 lbs in total unsprung weight. That equates to losing 80-100 lbs of “sprung” weight from a handling perspective! That’s huge, and good for both street and track use. In fact not sure why Tesla didn’t fit CCB standard on the Plaid for the weight savings alone (an important factor in an electric car).

The only downside is cost for a track car (as replacement rotors are expensive and they will wear with track duty), but on a street car, over its lifetime, it’s pretty good for cost as they have minimal wear on the pads and none on the rotors (typically lasting 100,000+ miles).

Also, I’ve heard the whole “Porsche Cup race cars use steel so steel must be better” argument - but that’s not true either. The reason amateur race series require steel brakes is to equalize the teams. If not the “rich” teams would all run CCB’s and dominate the series because they just don’t care what it costs, which would disadvantage the financially challenged teams.

Lastly, Elon Musk himself mentioned CCB’s as being required for a fast Ring lap. This is because the driver who drove the Plaid had to back off on some straights, which has been presumed to give the inadequate brakes time to cool down. The brakes work perfectly on the street, but the Plaid was not designed for the track and hence would need CCB’s to not fade.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #40
garyfried
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

Congratulations on a beautiful purchase. When we had a house in Surprise Arizona with solar power I thought a Tesla would be a perfect car for us. I love the variety of comments from people on the forum especially the negative ones from people who are clearly biased about cars in general and do not have an ideal of what is being produced today that will affect what is available in the future. The electric car is not for everyone and is not a good choice in some environments such as where I am today. At minus 20.5 C or minus 1 F currently I doubt the range would be that good. Have fun with the new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #41
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Hahaha
Apparently sound isn't that lol
It's the acceleration.

It's a girl that likes to screw all the time but can't carry on a conversation. Best part about the Tesla is that you don't have to marry it, so screw it for a while, then find the right one to marry....and I'll bet she'll sound good...

Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #42
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What exactly is your point? That Tesla didn't make a perfect car? That demand is low for the Plaid? Low compared to what other car did you have in mind?

Can you list the 4 door sedans that are ranked above the Plaid? Would be good to know…

You do know Tesla now has better brakes and with a software update should have max speed increased to 200MPH.

It's like you are attacking the OP for saying he thinks the Plaid is great! Also, all Elon did was to post his ticket and I posted why there are 2 numbers. Also, I don't agree with a lot of stuff Elon Musk says…

Looks like you have an axe to grind against the Plaid. Why can't you just appreciate that the OP likes his Plaid?

Their website shows no Plaids in Inventory. As far as I know Tesla doesn't have regular dealers with stock on their lots. Where are you seeing this inventory? You can order one and get it in Dec vs waiting for mid 2022 for other models/versions.
I walked in to the dealer in Sunnyvale, CA 4 days ago and asked them. They said the website does not show inventory by Tesla mandate and they pulled up their actual inventory and showed me the list. They have them all in a local warehouse. I’m not going to say this is Tesla trickery to make it look like they are sold out, but think about the date.. they literally have them for December delivery and there is no way they are building them in a day, so they have them. That’s why if you choose a color they don’t have the date pushes out to mid next year, but they have a lot of stock. Just call one of their dealers and say you want to buy one - depending on where you live you could get it same day.

List of cars faster than the Plaid? Here’s a quick list:

Alfa Giulia QV (7:32)
Porsche Panamera Turbo (7:29)
Merc AMG GT63S (7:23)
BMW M5 Comp (7:35 - technically tied and the plaid was a fraction quicker, but within statistical error)
Jaguar XE SV P8 (7:23)

Note also that all the articles pull from the Nurburgring.de official site which has a very small number of cars on it (ie only official runs generally sanctioned by manufacturers). The fastest-lap website shows many many more, though I concede I don’t know if they are modified - however if a Panamera Turbo S stock car can do it in 7:29, I think there are many unofficial stock times that are believably quicker than the Panamera.

Lastly, I am not attacking the op so stop saying that. I am happy for him, and I wish him the best - but this is a discussion forum not a billboard so posting here should have an expectation of *discussion*.

Thanks,

S.
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #43
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
people in online forums never cease to amaze me. Personal opinions of Tesla aside, congrats to the OP, glad you're enjoying your car!

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      12-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #44
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I grant it's very fast in a straight line, but it has terrible brakes, steering, endurance and handling:

Its fast lap times are made entirely from its straight line speed corner to corner. Maybe Tesla will improve the brakes and steering through software and hardware updates, but for me the extreme mass of it just turns me off. My M4 is about as heavy as I'd like it to be. I normally track my McLaren and it beats the plaid hands down for pure driving nirvana on a race circuit. Carbon ceramic brakes stop me from 150-160 to 40 down the straight lap after lap (with about 1500lbs less weight to bring to a stop), and the steering precision & reaction time is perfect and confidence inspiring.

Of course you may not want to drive your Plaid on track and that's perfectly fine as everyone enjoys different things, but I really don't get the supercar/hypercar bashing in a straight line - the plaid was fitted with rocket boosters and designed to go straight, the supercars were not.

Also, it's no where near the fastest production car on a circuit. Around the Nurburgring even the humble Audi RS3 was quicker. A 2012 GTR was quicker. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S SUV even was quicker! Then there are others like the Panamera, Alfa Giulia, and of course the BMW M4 GTS. Not to mention virtually all modern super/hyper cars. Yes, it's the quickest electric production sedan around that circuit - but the Nio and Rimac are both faster electric cars too

I don't mean to put down your purchase - the Plaid is an incredible feat and very very fast, but Elon Musk cut corners to make it, and made it just to claim the record against the Taycan Turbo S by using pure brute force. I do feel justified in my commentary though as this thread has bashed my beloved McLaren brand, so just had to set the record straight

Thanks!

S.
Thanks for an excellent post!
Brakes are better than those in AMG with a stopping distance 104 feet from 60-0 mph! That's a decent number, but I'll give you they are no where near confidence inspiring as any ///M car I have ever owned (Heck I rented an Audi Q3 abs I loved the brakes way more than my Tesla because of reassurance despite me knowing numbers won't be as good!!)!! He did cut corners on that, again "Plaid" with numbers to be ahead of many other cars! Very few cars are below 100 foot! By the way that video you have referenced claimed bad track numbers, but there's a ton of other videos showing it did beat ///M5 and the Cadillac Blackwing monster on the track!! And those are track cars!! But hey! It's not meant for the track and the proof is the steering "wheel" or lack of one thereof ?!

Again thank you for your post!
I actually like it

Don't y'all forget we will all own a Tesla and we have to be "Lucid" about it because otherwise we might be "eTroned" lol

Everyone is joining the band wagon!

I do agree that Tesla plaid is either Porsche's answer or Elon's sort of comeuppance unto them because they dared dream for a few months they got him!!! talk vengeance! And once you drive or glide in the PLAID, you'll be greeted by a very vengeful car no doubt! Hahahaha

soooma
Appreciate 0