BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-18-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
FrenchyfromFL
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, G80 M3X

Dealer schedule and MODs

My car is due for 2nd service (10k).

I have been holding up on doing a few MODs like mid-pipe and valves controller, until service is done.

I do have a couplie of MODs that I wouldn't think matter really (spacers, drop-in filters).

Would anyone say it would be better to just remove them before taking the car in for service? or really the dealer wouldn't care much? or it depends on the dealer?

I have always done the service myself on my cars, except or the 1st service. But since on this car, it is included, I prefer to let the dealer take care of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Don’t bother. Filters are filters and if drop in, it’s fine… just make sure of the service was to call for filter change to tell them not to, but most techs with half a brain will get it once they look inside the boxes. Spacers… wildest thing you could run into is if you to go in with wheel hub or bearing issues… they might point fingers as the spacers and blame those and not warranty the work, even if a legitimate failure of their stock hub or bearing was to blame. That’s how that game works.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:41 PM   #3
FrenchyfromFL
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Don’t bother. Filters are filters and if drop in, it’s fine… just make sure of the service was to call for filter change to tell them not to, but most techs with half a brain will get it once they look inside the boxes. Spacers… wildest thing you could run into is if you to go in with wheel hub or bearing issues… they might point fingers as the spacers and blame those and not warranty the work, even if a legitimate failure of their stock hub or bearing was to blame. That’s how that game works.
good point on the spacers.... don't think I have any issue, but I have not been under the car to see if anything is leaking either.
I might take the time to remove the spaces before I take it in.
Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:25 PM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

You most likely won’t find any issues in 10K, I’m just saying that I’ve seen some stupid ass dealers in my time. For example, blaming spacers for an alignment being off and not wanting to do it for free because it’s the mod and not the factory releasing a misaligned car. I said, OK, print off the out of spect sheet and then take the spacers out and put it back on the rack and show me the before printout again. If I’m wrong, I’ll pay for it all or I’ll just pull the spacers out in your own lot myself and we can do the same song and dance after that and you’ll owe me money. Guess what? Spacers didn’t do shit to throw off the alignment by the amounts on the printout. Everyone from GM to lead shop tech learned a valuable lesson that day at that Audi dealership. No more superficial stupid blame games after that. Lol

Good luck though… you’ll be fine however. Those are minor mods really. Even your mid and valve controller will be.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 09:47 PM   #5
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

More than likely you will be fine but there have been a few reports of dealers going ape over spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:23 AM   #6
FrenchyfromFL
Private
Rep

I am sure I will be fine, just trying to avoid any issue. I usually don't trust the dealers on anything. Also, why I have been waiting to install a mid pipe.

Although, I think I read somewhere someone had his mid pipe installed by his dealer. So I am planning on asking them about it.
I know I can do it myself, but it's better if the dealer does it and I don't have to remove it next time i go in for service.
Appreciate 0