BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-18-2023, 04:19 PM   #23
BrendanZ0402
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 GTP 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKong View Post
Thank you for posting this, I've been trying to find out what weight oil they have been running in their S58 motors. I have 5W-40 Xcess Gen2 I'll be changing to next oil change (Hopefully today). I think this is a great oil for the S58, especially if tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Where is the source to show that they ran 15w50?
If you look at one of their posts on instagram you can see them pouring that oil!
It’s actually 10W60 LOL my bad.
My guess is that they are trying to combat ethanol dilution, but not sure what fuel they are running in their cars. It’s so funny when I see people upgrading their intake manifold to prevent it from cracking when these bros are running a nearly bone stock engine at four digit power levels with no problems.
Here’s the post link:
Appreciate 2
SE7EN335330.00
M4Tejas788.00
      12-21-2023, 08:23 PM   #24
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanZ0402 View Post
If you look at one of their posts on instagram you can see them pouring that oil!
It’s actually 10W60 LOL my bad.
My guess is that they are trying to combat ethanol dilution, but not sure what fuel they are running in their cars. It’s so funny when I see people upgrading their intake manifold to prevent it from cracking when these bros are running a nearly bone stock engine at four digit power levels with no problems.
Here’s the post link:
10W60 was used on older M car engines and this oil cames up a bit. That specific Motul 300V is great for race engines that have to deal with extreme heat so it was designed not to shear down when it's used in those extremes. However, it cannot deal with things like idling, ethanol, or street driving so it would have to be frequently replaced. It also isn't great for sitting around in an engine after it's been beaten up so you'll see race teams replacing it frequently.
      12-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #25
BrendanZ0402
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 GTP 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
10W60 was used on older M car engines and this oil cames up a bit. That specific Motul 300V is great for race engines that have to deal with extreme heat so it was designed not to shear down when it's used in those extremes. However, it cannot deal with things like idling, ethanol, or street driving so it would have to be frequently replaced. It also isn't great for sitting around in an engine after it's been beaten up so you'll see race teams replacing it frequently.
Great info! Yeah I’ve heard mixed things about using 300V on the street. I got the Motul 5w40 sport oil for a dual purpose car from edycol and that guy is dialed in on his oil knowledge haha. I wouldn’t run 300V on the street either
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:48 AM   #26
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Strange that i have fuel in the oil after 4000 miles but you have none after 10000 miles. Was this with bmw's tpt 0w30 oil? Whats your daily driving like, long/short trips?
Mine are mostly short trips.
That’s your problem right there. You need to find time to drive the car more and have the engine oil up to temp for longer periods of time. Constant on/off with auto start/stop bs is even worse if you’re doing short trips. Turn that shit off and go for a long drive to enjoy the car and have a healthy engine long term. And redline the damn thing on a regular basis from time to time. It’s actually good for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 08:29 AM   #27
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

I did say mostly short trips, don't worry i do beat on the car, and auto start/stop is off. We'll see what the new oil analysis says with the motul oil in april.
Appreciate 0