BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-03-2023, 07:25 AM   #1
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Xdrive

Vibration under braking (oem brake pads were the problem)

Hi!

2000 Miles in the 2023 M3 Xdrive. It started to develop a brake problem when you come to a stop and brake; the last seconds before the car full stops, there is a hard vibration you feel in the steering and pedal like the pad is not flat pushing the rotor. If you brake hard several times, it improves or disappears, but a couple of minutes after regular driving it comes back...
I think it is not a rotor problem because it will happen always; maybe the pads? I did the bedding etc. I was thinking of changing them to others with less dust like ISweep 1500, but before spending money I want to figure out what is the problem.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bill76; 05-21-2023 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im having the same problem; it turned out to be the rotors. Getting the EBC rotors very soon

As you mentioned it could also be the pads, you will need to check it to know for sure.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill76 View Post
Hi!

2000 Miles in the 2023 M3 Xdrive. It started to develop a brake problem when you come to a stop and brake; the last seconds before the car full stops, there is a hard vibration you feel in the steering and pedal like the pad is not flat pushing the rotor. If you brake hard several times, it improves or disappears, but a couple of minutes after regular driving it comes back...
I think it is not a rotor problem because it will happen always; maybe the pads? I did the bedding etc. I was thinking of changing them to others with less dust like ISweep 1500, but before spending money I want to figure out what is the problem.

Thank you!
If you have 2000 miles on the car take to the dealership as it's covered under warranty.

Likely they will replace whatever is wrong new.

Then switch it out like you plan but you have everything correct with new parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
If you have 2000 miles on the car take to the dealership as it's covered under warranty.

Likely they will replace whatever is wrong new.

Then switch it out like you plan but you have everything correct with new parts.
Yes, I'll do that. I read some users are having same proble in another post, i hope they find the solution to. Thks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 07:22 PM   #5
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im having the same problem; it turned out to be the rotors. Getting the EBC rotors very soon

As you mentioned it could also be the pads, you will need to check it to know for sure.
Let us know if it fix the problem!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Let us know if it fix the problem!
Will do

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:12 PM   #7
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

So my 2023 xDrive is doing something similar. I don't really get it in the wheel, but definitely in the pedal under light pressure and noticeable coming to stop gently on downhill incline. Almost feels like a slow motion ABS engagement. Hate to have to go right back to dealer after break in, but sounds like that's what might be needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #8
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Any feedback on what this is yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy View Post
Any feedback on what this is yet?
My car is at the detailer for a week while I'm in Sweden doing BMW's Ice Driving. If it keeps doing it, I'll eventually get it back to dealer. It's not doing it at an easily replicable rate...yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 05:08 PM   #10
chujk1985
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 X Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
So my 2023 xDrive is doing something similar. I don't really get it in the wheel, but definitely in the pedal under light pressure and noticeable coming to stop gently on downhill incline. Almost feels like a slow motion ABS engagement. Hate to have to go right back to dealer after break in, but sounds like that's what might be needed.
Did you ever figure this out? I am experiencing the same thing. PM'ed ya!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:47 PM   #11
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I am experiencing the same thing. PM'ed ya!
Haven't...it went away, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #12
chujk1985
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
Haven't...it went away, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment.
Have you found anything that works/doesn’t work? Like washing the pads/rotors? Or did yours just go away on its own?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #13
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujk1985 View Post
Have you found anything that works/doesn’t work? Like washing the pads/rotors? Or did yours just go away on its own?
Probably just broken in…but the heavy iron remover in Sonax might have done it as well.
Appreciate 1
chujk1985542.50
      05-21-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep

3000 miles on Isweep 1500 no more vibration, and really low dust. The pedal does not feel so agressove but when you call them, they do the job like oem ones.
Appreciate 1
262Hou49.00
      05-21-2023, 09:43 PM   #15
chujk1985
Major
Rep

Quote:
3000 miles on Isweep 1500 no more vibration, are really low dust. The pedal does not feel so agressove but when you call it they do the job like oem ones.
So the pads fixed the problem?
Did you replace all four?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #16
blackdm
Enlisted Member
China
Rep
Drives: F82/G80

I have the same problem, looking forward to a solution
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #17
chujk1985
Major
Rep

I had the same issue, a new pads fixed my issue. I have had bad pads and warped rotors on other cars, but I felt like my steering column was broken at times. It was weird.

When I took the stock pads off, the rears have chunk missing from them. Only 2700 miles SMH.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 06:51 PM   #18
Scotts429
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp X drive

Angry Same issues with a 23 M3 comp xdrive

Car has 3800 miles on it and we are having this same issue. A google search of "BMW G80 M3 Brake Issues & Problems" led me right to this thread.

2nd trip to dealer , 1st trip they said they could not duplicate it now they are basically saying it's normal and standing behind a service bulletin SIB 34 10 19 you can easily also google and find you just can't play the audio file mentioned. They played the audio at the dealership and sure it sounds similar but in this bulletin the stated cause is essentially saying build up from racing! Specifically referring to example A4 on the bulletin.

We do not race this car and it's not our first M either. After a week there this time they agree they only found it after "hard" braking and heating them up and swear it is normal per the bulletin and per the regional service contact with BMW they won't do anything about it. Our only option is to take it up with customer service at BMW

Their idea of hard braking was on I4 in a 2 mile stretch, we specifically stated it's at the last seconds of braking before you reach a complete stop

After plenty of debate, noting on the service receipt that we do not agree at all, showing them video of it doing it on cold to med temps without hard braking we left with them assuring us they could do nothing more at dealer level as BMW is very strict in regards to M brakes and that the car is perfectly safe to drive we headed home with it.

Now I don't drive it daily , my wife does so ( and barely ,the car was new in Nov 22) I personally had not experienced the issue until on the way home tonight from the dealer. We are 9 miles away and took non interstate roads home with a max of 45 mph speed limit in congested Friday afternoon Orlando traffic with not a single hard braking event and it finally does it to me.

Total BS that it's related to "excessive load e.g. after driving on a race track" per the bulletin. If these things have issues on normal driving city roads the last damn place I would dare take it is a track.

They say they took the pads off and inspected and checked the rotors, I can see the hand prints in the brake dust on the fronts ( Frozen black and don't let them wash after service ), Rears were not touched.

At our wits end with it. We had a F80 prior for 40K miles that had carbon ceramics no issues, We went to PDC in Feb and did new owners and 1 day M school absolutely hammering the dog crap out of their brakes on 8 different M cars and never a issue, all were CC brakes. No idea if this issue is specific to the standard M compound brakes we have now or not. Interesting the bulletin mentions 4 different noise concerns specific to them and on one specific to the CC's.

What ever version of the brakes they are we clearly have a issue that does not align with what they say and we can't get any help. Pathetic, the dealer who we have been buying cars from for over 20 years ( 7 total ) won't stand up to BMW knowing how frustrated we are, Supposedly this is being brought to the GM's attention Monday so we will see if it goes any where.

Sorry for the long story , typing out of anger. In short has any one cured this issue?

A few things to note. Service advisor states he's never heard this, it scared him when it did it to him, He feels the car is safe but clearly agrees with us somethin is not right, At one point through the week of waiting we were told it maybe a ABS issue but then it's not and another advisor told us they were putting new brakes on it just to then be told no they are not. BMW Regional rep standing firm behind the bulletin that it's normal for M brakes so dealer service says their hands are tied.

This car is bone stock and is driven within the limits of Central Florida roads which is getting next to impossible to drive hard at all with our congestion

Absolutely disgusted with BMW at the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:34 PM   #19
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts429 View Post
Car has 3800 miles on it and we are having this same issue. A google search of "BMW G80 M3 Brake Issues & Problems" led me right to this thread.

2nd trip to dealer , 1st trip they said they could not duplicate it now they are basically saying it's normal and standing behind a service bulletin SIB 34 10 19 you can easily also google and find you just can't play the audio file mentioned. They played the audio at the dealership and sure it sounds similar but in this bulletin the stated cause is essentially saying build up from racing! Specifically referring to example A4 on the bulletin.

We do not race this car and it's not our first M either. After a week there this time they agree they only found it after "hard" braking and heating them up and swear it is normal per the bulletin and per the regional service contact with BMW they won't do anything about it. Our only option is to take it up with customer service at BMW

Their idea of hard braking was on I4 in a 2 mile stretch, we specifically stated it's at the last seconds of braking before you reach a complete stop

After plenty of debate, noting on the service receipt that we do not agree at all, showing them video of it doing it on cold to med temps without hard braking we left with them assuring us they could do nothing more at dealer level as BMW is very strict in regards to M brakes and that the car is perfectly safe to drive we headed home with it.

Now I don't drive it daily , my wife does so ( and barely ,the car was new in Nov 22) I personally had not experienced the issue until on the way home tonight from the dealer. We are 9 miles away and took non interstate roads home with a max of 45 mph speed limit in congested Friday afternoon Orlando traffic with not a single hard braking event and it finally does it to me.

Total BS that it's related to "excessive load e.g. after driving on a race track" per the bulletin. If these things have issues on normal driving city roads the last damn place I would dare take it is a track.

They say they took the pads off and inspected and checked the rotors, I can see the hand prints in the brake dust on the fronts ( Frozen black and don't let them wash after service ), Rears were not touched.

At our wits end with it. We had a F80 prior for 40K miles that had carbon ceramics no issues, We went to PDC in Feb and did new owners and 1 day M school absolutely hammering the dog crap out of their brakes on 8 different M cars and never a issue, all were CC brakes. No idea if this issue is specific to the standard M compound brakes we have now or not. Interesting the bulletin mentions 4 different noise concerns specific to them and on one specific to the CC's.

What ever version of the brakes they are we clearly have a issue that does not align with what they say and we can't get any help. Pathetic, the dealer who we have been buying cars from for over 20 years ( 7 total ) won't stand up to BMW knowing how frustrated we are, Supposedly this is being brought to the GM's attention Monday so we will see if it goes any where.

Sorry for the long story , typing out of anger. In short has any one cured this issue?

A few things to note. Service advisor states he's never heard this, it scared him when it did it to him, He feels the car is safe but clearly agrees with us somethin is not right, At one point through the week of waiting we were told it maybe a ABS issue but then it's not and another advisor told us they were putting new brakes on it just to then be told no they are not. BMW Regional rep standing firm behind the bulletin that it's normal for M brakes so dealer service says their hands are tied.

This car is bone stock and is driven within the limits of Central Florida roads which is getting next to impossible to drive hard at all with our congestion

Don't waste your time. I created this post and changed the pads for Isweep1500 at around 2,700 miles, and no more vobration and stupid dust. This is my daily and nowadays I have around 5,300 miles, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:26 AM   #20
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

What can happen especially in humid areas that get a lot of rain, is that when your car is parked, the brake pad will lightly rust onto the rotors. The more moisture and time, the bigger the rust transfer. I'd check the face of all four to see if there are in marks on the rotors. The other side of the rotors are a lot more difficult to check because the dust/heat shield is in the way. Taking off the rotor set screws is challenging if you don't have hex impact bits and replacement TTY nuts for the calipers.

The other potential issues are damaged brake pads or pads with debris in them. The less likely options are suspension issues and unbalanced or damaged wheels.

If you're not able to do that yourself, you should find a reputable independent shop to do an inspection of all those things listed. You can tell them it's a tech inspection for a track day and you're wondering if you have a pad transfer issue or something else. That should keep the cost of the inspection to around or below $50. If you need shop recommendations for a tech inspection, (join and) ask your local BMW CCA chapter - many of them have Facebook groups.
      07-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #21
L33t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 F80

Quote:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2027124

Read this thread. BMW stealerships are pretty much same everywhere, always a disappointment.
Appreciate 0