11-03-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 RWD 6SP

Experience with upgraded Toe and Trailing arms

Hi all,
I'll try to keep this short. I am on a quest to improve this car's driving engagement/feedback. Planning to do the Monoball upgrade next. There seem to be plenty of positive feedback/reviews on these, however there isn't much on the Toe & Trailing arm upgrade. One member has experienced noticeable NVH upon upgrading the Toe Arms. There're a few manufactures making these (Dinan, CarBahn, SPL, GKTech) with the idea that replacing rubber bushings will eliminate deflection in the rear resulting in a more predictable and hopefully a more connected driving experience.

Goal:
Not looking to build a track car. Simply want to bring more engagement/connectedness to the driving experience without ruining the ride. Mostly driven on street, canyon roads and occasional track day.

Ask:
Those who have upgraded these arms, what has been your experience? Is the improvement worth the cost & added NVH?

Last edited by OzDrives; 03-21-2024 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
I did toe arms but did it as the same time that I upgraded / added Caster Plates and Mono balls on the front as well so hard to iso if the links singularly added much. Def more direct steering feel. Not a track car either for me.
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8216.50
      11-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWyker View Post
I did toe arms but did it as the same time that I upgraded / added Caster Plates and Mono balls on the front as well so hard to iso if the links singularly added much. Def more direct steering feel. Not a track car either for me.
Thanks for sharing. Do you happen have a link for the "Caster Plates"? Also, did you notice any added NVH?

Last edited by OzDrives; 11-03-2023 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you are not tracking the car, the front tension rod monoball is all you really need for better feedback and to increase responsiveness of the steering and suspension. You will get a slight NVH, but mostly in a good way with this upgrade.

We carry the SPL brand. Let us know if we can help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:38 AM   #5
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDrives View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do you happen have a link for the "Caster Plates"? Also, did you notice any added NVH?
https://europeanautosource.com/produ...w-g8x-m2-m3-m4

They solved some rubbing issues I had in the front (20" Squared with 12mm spacers) by letting me get like 3 degrees of camber. No negatives at all. No real positives for them alone. The monoballs had the most actual feedback change.
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8216.50
      11-05-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They solved some rubbing issues I had in the front (20" Squared with 12mm spacers) by letting me get like 3 degrees of camber. No negatives at all. No real positives for them alone. The monoballs had the most actual feedback change.
Got it, thanks for clarifying!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you are not tracking the car, the front tension rod monoball is all you really need for better feedback and to increase responsiveness of the steering and suspension. You will get a slight NVH, but mostly in a good way with this upgrade.

We carry the SPL brand. Let us know if we can help.
Thanks! I feel like the rear end is a bit "soft and disconnected". I find it hard to tell what the rear tires are doing a lot of the times which does not inspire confidence. Was hoping there is away to address that. Maybe I am just too picky

Last edited by OzDrives; 11-05-2023 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 09:53 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Thanks! I feel like the rear end is a bit "soft and disconnected". I find it hard to tell what the rear tires are doing a lot of the times which does not inspire confidence. Was hoping there is away to address that. Maybe I am just too picky
Which coilovers are you on and how is your alignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 11:28 PM   #9
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which coilovers are you on and how is your alignment?
No coilovers, just Eibach front only spring kit and CSL shock coding.

Here is the alignment:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No coilovers, just Eibach front only spring kit and CSL shock coding.

Here is the alignment:
You might just need better damping to keep the rear under control. In most cases the stock damper, even the electronic version, lacks the rebound damping to keep the stock springs in check. Sport springs have higher rates and need even more damping.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 05:19 PM   #11
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

Would have to agree on the Millway monoballs, this is one of the few areas that can really see an drastic improvement with little effort.

We always have the camber plates and monoballs in stock.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you will find most if not all, G8X plates to be camber adjustable only.

Adjustable caster bushings are excellent way to get more caster and better feedback from the vehicle.

https://www.hpashop.com/products/spl...d61505f3&_ss=r
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 11:25 PM   #13
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might just need better damping to keep the rear under control. In most cases the stock damper, even the electronic version, lacks the rebound damping to keep the stock springs in check. Sport springs have higher rates and need even more damping.
Thanks for your feedback. The rear springs are stock but I am sure it would benefit from a proper set of coilovers. For now, I'll proceed with swapping out the toe&trailing arms along with the monoballs. Hoping that will inject some soul into this car...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 12:12 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. The rear springs are stock but I am sure it would benefit from a proper set of coilovers. For now, I'll proceed with swapping out the toe&trailing arms along with the monoballs. Hoping that will inject some soul into this car...
If you don't already have them, PM for quotes on SPL parts.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 04:34 PM   #15
M3CeeSaw
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Quote:
Did you end up doing the rear toe and trailings arms? If so whats your take on them? I'm in the same boat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:43 PM   #16
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Not yet. I've done the front monoball conversion and got another alignment done. That paired with CS steering software made the car feel more "connected". However, it still lacks feel IMO. I plan to put a set of Goodyear Supercar 3 tires next in hopes that it will further "wake it up".

As far as the rear arms, I have not found compelling enough feedback to prioritize swapping them (at least for my driving needs). I will eventually swap them out if I end up keeping the car for along time.

Would be good to hear if anyone else has had these done and can share their thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CeeSaw View Post
Did you end up doing the rear toe and trailings arms? If so whats your take on them? I'm in the same boat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:34 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Not yet. I've done the front monoball conversion and got another alignment done. That paired with CS steering software made the car feel more "connected". However, it still lacks feel IMO. I plan to put a set of Goodyear Supercar 3 tires next in hopes that it will further "wake it up".

As far as the rear arms, I have not found compelling enough feedback to prioritize swapping them (at least for my driving needs). I will eventually swap them out if I end up keeping the car for along time.

Would be good to hear if anyone else has had these done and can share their thoughts...
We have a full SPL rear install coming up next week, I'm sure m4ml will be able to give 1st hand feedback when completed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
m4ml1834.00
      03-21-2024, 02:39 PM   #18
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We have a full SPL rear install coming up next week, I'm sure m4ml will be able to give 1st hand feedback when completed.
Install at EAS and alignment at Chewerks on Thursday, track day at Chuckwalla on Saturday, and two track days the following Saturday and Sunday at Buttonwillow.

That should be enough to give some good feedback.
Appreciate 3
tom @ eas8216.50
AhsanU3829.50
      03-21-2024, 09:23 PM   #19
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
Install at EAS and alignment at Chewerks on Thursday, track day at Chuckwalla on Saturday, and two track days the following Saturday and Sunday at Buttonwillow.

Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 1
m4ml1834.00
      03-22-2024, 08:44 AM   #20
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post

Could you share which parts are going on exactly? I’ve only done the monoball but am looking at more suspension parts to upgrade since I’m done with engine/speed parts.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
m4ml1834.00
      03-22-2024, 10:56 AM   #21
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

I will also like to know.
      03-22-2024, 06:07 PM   #22
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Could you share which parts are going on exactly? I’ve only done the monoball but am looking at more suspension parts to upgrade since I’m done with engine/speed parts.
I currently have the KW V4 coil-overs and Fall-Line monoballs. Next Thursday EAS will be installing the SPL rear camber arms, rear toe links, and rear traction links.
Appreciate 3
tom @ eas8216.50
AhsanU3829.50