G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

08-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Brooklyn Gray G82 BASE build

Hi All -

So my purchase story is an interesting one... I was at a local dealer getting some maintenance done on my f80 for a track day, and they happened to have a G82 in the showroom awaiting delivery. Apparently the buyer backed out (due to the grilles ) and the salesman asked me if I would like to take it for a test drive. I would have likely spec'd a similar car but with carbon roof, but after driving the car (and them pulling out every car in the show room to allow me to test drive) I was sold.

The car is a base model 6mt Brooklyn Gray with a sunroof, Fiona Red Leather, Exec and Driver Assistance package. I actually started ordering parts as I was signing paperwork.

First round of mods are purely cosmetic. I started with:
IND Black Grille Emblem (these are the same emblems on the side markers to I got 3)
OEM M4 Comp badge
IND Painted Sidemarkers
Future Classic Wheel Spacers (15/12mm)
Gloss black roof wrap
Tint

Phase 2 will include:
Front Splitter - I am waiting for cost to come down on these, I am hoping in 6 mos to a year pricing gets more reasonable
Coil overs - Ideally I will go with JRZ, MCS or Ohlins for a street setup that I can track a few times a year
BBS FI-R (or similar) Wheels

The emblems were an easy swap. The car is new and the adhesive mostly came off with the emblem which was nice. I am no poser, so I removed the competition portion of the emblems.

After badges, I decided that with everything black, the roof needed to be wrapped to match some of the black accents. In my opinion this made the top of the car "flow" better.

I installed my spacers, but didn't take many pictures. The difference is much more noticeable in person. While I had the wheels off for spacers, I installed the IND painted reflectors. Install was easy, but I am not 100% happy with how I installed these. After prying on the bumper to get the orange markers out, I feel like the plastic slightly flexed, so these didn't have PERFECT fitment. They still look great though. I took a few different angles so you all could see what I am talking about.

Notice the back edge of the actual bumper is not perfect from me prying, you can only notice this at certain angles, and yes I removed all of the adhesive on the back with a plastic razor blade.

I will take some additional pictures of the car this weekend. I typically go for the OEM+ styling, so am excited for more parts to be released. I am going to keep this updated as the car progresses.
Appreciate 5
JTO245276.00
JMU_BMW152.50
EXE462100.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
      08-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Congratulations. Looks great. And yet, another manual. I hope BMW and other car manufacturers take note at the stick shift sales. Don't see why we can't have a M3 Comp and upcoming CSL in manual either.

So what sold you on this when comparing the F80?

Can you post more pics of the Fiona Red interior?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep

Of course, it is a loud color, but I liked the combo with BG. I dont know why the photo quality isn't good on these. Darn iPhone.

My main reason from going away from my F80 was the refinement of this car. I also have an X5 as a daily, and a 97 E36 with an LS1 swap. My F80 was on SPL arms (everyone they make) and coilovers so it was a little more track dedicated. My plans are to let the wife take the X5 as her new daily, use the G82 as mine, and the E36 will become my dedicated track car. I will likely track the G82 as well, but more for "ride and drive" type events.

F80:

E36 (This car is still about 3-6 mos away from being complete)

Appreciate 3
JMU_BMW152.50
EXE462100.00
      08-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Congrats! I'm waiting on my G80 BG/Fiona. Seeing yours confirms my decision about going with the extended vs. full. I didn't want to pony up for the full and I feel like now, it may have actually been too much red.

I think BG/Fiona extended is a phenomenal look.

Congrats again!
      08-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you! I am enjoying it. I have gotten more compliments over the color than anything else. Now I need to get to driving so I can hit 1200 miles and take it to the track next month. I want to see how it compares to the F80.
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      08-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #6
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Congrats!
I'm guessing you bought the car from BMW of Dallas?
I've chatted with one of their sales associate about purchasing it from out of state, and they weren't selling to other states.
I was so eager to fly out there and buy it until I realized it had the sunroof and not the CF roof.

Glad you got the car! It's a very nice color combo w/ the right transmission!
Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Congrats!
I'm guessing you bought the car from BMW of Dallas?
I've chatted with one of their sales associate about purchasing it from out of state, and they weren't selling to other states.
I was so eager to fly out there and buy it until I realized it had the sunroof and not the CF roof.

Glad you got the car! It's a very nice color combo w/ the right transmission!
Enjoy!
I did get it from BoD! I too was disappointed about no carbon roof - hence wrapping it black. However I had a carbon roof on my f80 and it required me to be a little more cautious at times following trucks on the freeway etc. I was always scared to rock chip it and get clear coat failure.

I told myself I will keep this for a year or two then upgrade to a CSL in 2023... we will see!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
I did get it from BoD! I too was disappointed about no carbon roof - hence wrapping it black. However I had a carbon roof on my f80 and it required me to be a little more cautious at times following trucks on the freeway etc. I was always scared to rock chip it and get clear coat failure.

I told myself I will keep this for a year or two then upgrade to a CSL in 2023... we will see!
STEK black PPF would look really nice on that color combo!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Fiona Red interior is perhaps the best interior among all options. The car looks great! Congrats.
Appreciate 0