BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

09-21-2023, 11:48 PM   #1
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

eSim -- Getting It but Don't Really "Get" It.

I've ordered my i7 WITH the 6FR "BMW Theater Screen" option. The car evidently comes with a 5G eSim. I have a 4G LTE iPhone 11 with unlimited data plan, including the ability to use it as a hotspot.

Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure exactly what an eSim DOES or what it can do for me -- and I can find out later -- but my specific questions are this:

1. Based on the above info (esp. re my 4G LTE T-Mobile phone w/unlimited data and hotspot), do I actually NEED to use the eSim to watch Netflix or Hulu, etc. on my screen, or will my iPhone suffice (I could also purchase a Roku USB if that helps)?

2. If I DO utilize the BMW 5G eSim, would I need to pay any EXTRA monthly fees to T-Mobile (I've heard about something called 'BMW Magenta' for $20/mo.)? It's just that I HATE the monthly recurring fees scam!!!

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out if my $4,750 theater screen will be an unusable brick that I am better off cancelling, or if my iPhone can save the day (IF it helps I guess I can trade up to an iPhone 12 or better which comes with 5G). Thx. - Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 01:51 AM   #2
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I've ordered my i7 WITH the 6FR "BMW Theater Screen" option. The car evidently comes with a 5G eSim. I have a 4G LTE iPhone 11 with unlimited data plan, including the ability to use it as a hotspot.

Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure exactly what an eSim DOES or what it can do for me -- and I can find out later -- but my specific questions are this:

1. Based on the above info (esp. re my 4G LTE T-Mobile phone w/unlimited data and hotspot), do I actually NEED to use the eSim to watch Netflix or Hulu, etc. on my screen, or will my iPhone suffice (I could also purchase a Roku USB if that helps)?

2. If I DO utilize the BMW 5G eSim, would I need to pay any EXTRA monthly fees to T-Mobile (I've heard about something called 'BMW Magenta' for $20/mo.)? It's just that I HATE the monthly recurring fees scam!!!

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out if my $4,750 theater screen will be an unusable brick that I am better off cancelling, or if my iPhone can save the day (IF it helps I guess I can trade up to an iPhone 12 or better which comes with 5G). Thx. - Mike
1: i didn't find any wifi settings on the screen. so this means: yes, you need the eSIM for it to work! roku, chromecast or some android box from ali will work

2: ha, here they steal only 10/mo for this (and i've got data sim's included in my plan! nooo, cars and mobilities it's called...)
BUT: there is a solution: there is the eSIM reader from BMW

it's a BT low energy device, you put in the SIM and it gives the car the SIM-profile (https://www.bmw.de/de/shop/ls/dp/physical-goods/901324 - needs translation). maybe your plan has an additional SIM?
BUT: as i have stability issues with my 8.5 regarding BT connections this has become a real problem. and... the last time when it was at the shop, the battery of the reader got depleted... (no, not funny anymore as in-car telephones are key for me)

hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post

Yes there is a fee for esim. It is available from the three major US carriers, and I think all charge $20/month. TMobile is the "Magenta" thing. I have it via ATT. I do not have the theatre screen so I can't comment on that. It supposedly improves reception, and my radar detector connects to the wifi to update itself. Connectivity issues were vastly improved by ID 8.5 and your car should have that when you finally get it. Is it worth $20 a month (plus taxes amd fees)? Not so sure about that but I will keep it for a while for trips into weak cell signal areas.

Nickel and dime monthly fees? If you keep your car for 5 years your theatre screen works out to about $80 a month. As does my high end sound system. We're all crazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

eSIM is merely a smart component which can be configured to emulate a PHYSICAL SIM card. It can be configured via software or by copying the configuration of an existing SIM.

Its basically just a SIM card. ...and you need a SIM card if you want to have remote services (data and/or voice) available directly to your vehicle. (Not as a passthrough from an existing phone).

A valid configuration of the eSIM basically embeds GSM cellular service directly into your vehicle. With the onboard eSIM properly configured and actiuvated, you won't need a phone to send/receive phone calls, setup an onboard hotspot, or stream data from the internet (inc your theater).

Its just an electronically (re)configurable SIM card built into your Nav system. It must be configured prior to use...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

The eSIM on my T-Mobile account with my Theater screen seems to provide SLOWER data speeds than the Theater Screen HDMI port-conencted Roku 4K Stick paired to my T-Mobile iPhone's Mobile Hotspot.

I get better streaming via the Roku versus the embedded Amazon Fire TV via eSIM on the same network.

I would say with all the issues everyone on the i7 and iX forums are having with eSIM, just add a HDMI streaming stick and pair to your cellphone hotspot. It will perform better, include a physical remote and save you $20 a month in nonsense data fees. Planning to likely drop my BWM eSIM as I rarely use it. (myself excluded - eSIM works perfectly in my iX and i7 & quick speeds for connected macbook, ipads, etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 11:58 PM   #6
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Thanks for that additional clarifying information, Cabo.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 12:30 AM   #7
BMWerboy
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760

what do y’all do with the plug for the Roku? just let it hang?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:44 AM   #8
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

unfortunately, yes...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
...I would say with all the issues everyone on the i7 and iX forums are having with eSIM, just add a HDMI streaming stick and pair to your cellphone hotspot. It will perform better, include a physical remote and save you $20 a month in nonsense data fees....
Google Fi will give you FREE data SIMs paired to your primary account. The FREE SIMs will simply share the unlimited data with your primary phone number. It doesn't cost anything extra with Fi...

I purchased the BMW SIM Reader ($50) so I can simply have the ICCID number off one of my unused Google Fi SIM cards read directly into the vehicle. I believe the BMW SIM reader lets you do this even if the carrier is technically "unsupported" as it doesn't require any back-end (internet) coordination with the carrier.

However, I won't know for sure until my car arrives (currently at 112 with a PW of 43)...
Appreciate 1
CaboM41376.50
      10-09-2023, 08:34 PM   #10
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Good to know ... unfortunately I will not be switching to GoogleFi. Let us know how it goes when your G70 arrives
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:43 AM   #11
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I believe the BMW SIM reader lets you do this even if the carrier is technically "unsupported" as it doesn't require any back-end (internet) coordination with the carrier.
correct - it's exactly for that. the reader exports the SIM-profile to the car that then uses it as a virtual eSIM
Appreciate 0