BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-24-2023, 11:11 PM   #133
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I think getting PPF on the front bumper and hood is not terribly outrageous and it will help keep the car looking good longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:25 PM   #134
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I think it’s a waste of money and I’m currently doing full car.
Appreciate 5
DO4441410.50
bri10426060.00
gnx759.50
      04-30-2023, 10:18 PM   #135
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
I think it’s a waste of money and I’m currently doing full car.
Lol.
Ok, I’ll bite.
Why are you bothering to do it if it’s a waste of money.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #136
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Lol.
Ok, I’ll bite.
Why are you bothering to do it if it’s a waste of money.
Cuz I like wasting money.
I’m also doing stealth cuz I decided after I bought it that I wanted frozen black instead of regular black lol.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-30-2023, 10:21 PM   #137
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
Cuz I like wasting money.
I’m also doing stealth cuz I decided after I bought it that I wanted frozen black instead of regular black lol.
Fair enough.
I guess we all like wasting $ to a certain extent.
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1046.50
      04-30-2023, 10:27 PM   #138
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Fair enough.
I guess we all like wasting $ to a certain extent.
If I had all of the money I have wasted on cars (and bikes), I could buy more cars…. Said previously somewhere on the interwebs
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      04-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #139
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
If I had all of the money I have wasted on cars (and bikes), I could buy more cars…. Said previously somewhere on the interwebs
For real.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #140
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
If you’re planning on keeping the car a long time I would definitely do PPF and ceramic. For our two cars I just did key areas and not the entire car. (Front, mirrors, fender flare area)

Where we daily drive our cars year round and don’t show them at car shows etc. I didn’t PPF the entire car. I also try to pick colours that are lower maintenance overall. (M3 is skyscraper grey, our X7 is Aspen White)

Cars with difficult to maintain colours or costly individual paint (like frozen) I would 100% PPF and ceramic the entire car.
      05-01-2023, 07:22 AM   #141
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

No offense to anyone who keeps saying that but the "PPF *and* ceramic" , but this s just a product of being brainwashed by detailers who want to sell you an extra product.

Modern PPFs are water repellent and UV resistant.

Slapping expensive ceramic coating on top is simply nonsense. Any decent PPF maintenance product like Gyeon after every few car washes is more than enough to keep it in great shape and protect if you really want to have that extra longevity.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #142
m3wannab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Macan GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
I’m not planning on PPF’ing my upcoming M3Cx. It’s going to be my daily driver so I’m expecting rock chips, dings, etc.

I’ve only had ppf on one car and it didn’t bring extra value at trade in. If you want peace of mind, want your car as pristine as possible, or keep your car for a long time then I see the value. I’d rather spend the 1k+ on something else. By the way you can get some amazing results with a ding/paint repair service. They can even match the paint.
Appreciate 2
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #143
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3wannab View Post
I’m not planning on PPF’ing my upcoming M3Cx. It’s going to be my daily driver so I’m expecting rock chips, dings, etc.

I’ve only had ppf on one car and it didn’t bring extra value at trade in. If you want peace of mind, want your car as pristine as possible, or keep your car for a long time then I see the value. I’d rather spend the 1k+ on something else. By the way you can get some amazing results with a ding/paint repair service. They can even match the paint.
Seriously? No value? When I traded in my 7 series to BMW it got valued at 4k higher than what they initially quoted precisely because of its pristine condition, warranted by full PPF.
It's less than what I paid for PPF itself, but stretched over 5 years of use, it's more than justified.

Let alone private sale, where it's most definitely bringing in extra value.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #144
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

It's funny how people will say it is not Porsche or Ferrari. Anyone that pays 80k plus for a car is not buying the car as a means to get back and forth to work and if you did, props to you. You buy a Camry for that but he'll they are 30k now and if so.eone wanted to ppf it, I wouldn't be mad. You can't discount someone from wanting to protect their investment whether it is a G80 or Porsche. Even if money was no object, I wouldn't throw off on someone else.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 2
m3wannab118.50
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #145
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson11 View Post
I live in a rural area with well maintained roads that are lightly traveled. There was no way I was going to spend 2K for a full front with Epel locally. I had a 2021 M2C that I traded in with 13k and there were 2 really small paint chips on the bumper. Granted it was Hockenheim Silver Metallic that hid them well. Flash forward 2 days after delivery of my G82 and I have a small chips one on the hood and one on the A Pillar. Have an appointment booked locally for a full front wrap with Expel. Much to my dismay Dravit Grey is not a good camouflage for rock chips.
Lol... similar story and I had less than 1k on my Dravit Grey and after a small chip, I scheduled a appointment.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 10:46 AM   #146
m3wannab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Macan GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
Seriously? No value? When I traded in my 7 series to BMW it got valued at 4k higher than what they initially quoted precisely because of its pristine condition, warranted by full PPF.
It's less than what I paid for PPF itself, but stretched over 5 years of use, it's more than justified.

Let alone private sale, where it's most definitely bringing in extra value.
How much was the full PPF?

That’s correct, no value on a partial front PPF with a Macan GTS. I got PPF done because I lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time and went camping the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #147
G80XLV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 M3 Comp xDrive  [0.00]
Only doing the front end/maybe cf roof for $2k (XPEL). Cost/benefit of $7k for the entire car not worth it to me. For others, it might be though. But you're definitely not crazy for not justifying the price.
Appreciate 1
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #148
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3wannab View Post
How much was the full PPF?

That’s correct, no value on a partial front PPF with a Macan GTS. I got PPF done because I lived in the Pacific Northwest at the time and went camping the car.
at that time I got a full XPEL done for about 6k.

I guess it's a matter of whether the dealer appreciates the condition of the car (meaning faster sale they will make) etc.
Appreciate 2
m3wannab118.50
DO4441410.50
      05-01-2023, 08:12 PM   #149
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
If you’re planning on keeping the car a long time I would definitely do PPF and ceramic. For our two cars I just did key areas and not the entire car. (Front, mirrors, fender flare area)

Where we daily drive our cars year round and don’t show them at car shows etc. I didn’t PPF the entire car. I also try to pick colours that are lower maintenance overall. (M3 is skyscraper grey, our X7 is Aspen White)

Cars with difficult to maintain colours or costly individual paint (like frozen) I would 100% PPF and ceramic the entire car.
Quote:
No offense to anyone who keeps saying that but the "PPF *and* ceramic" , but this s just a product of being brainwashed by detailers who want to sell you an extra product.

Modern PPFs are water repellent and UV resistant.

Slapping expensive ceramic coating on top is simply nonsense. Any decent PPF maintenance product like Gyeon after every few car washes is more than enough to keep it in great shape and protect if you really want to have that extra longevity.
It doesn’t hardly even cost anything, the ceramic, if you ppf the whole car.

Ceramic for me was like $500 with a five year guarantee on shine. It will also be reapplied every year for five years. I find that to be a great bargain to have a shiny car for five years.

Ppf and ceramic IS expensive.
But I like it.

I don’t enjoy the fact I paid $15k for two cars to have perfect paint and shine, but to say that it is worthless is - completely wrong.

It’s worth whatever you think it is, but for me, having paint jobs that aren’t easy to match, Atlantis Metallic and Aventurine Green… I’m so happy I did it.

I love my shiny cars and they are super easy to clean now. Just spray em really and you’re good. A damp soft cloth takes most things off.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3579.00
      05-02-2023, 03:57 AM   #150
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It doesn’t hardly even cost anything, the ceramic, if you ppf the whole car.

Ceramic for me was like $500 with a five year guarantee on shine. It will also be reapplied every year for five years. I find that to be a great bargain to have a shiny car for five years.

Ppf and ceramic IS expensive.
But I like it.

I don’t enjoy the fact I paid $15k for two cars to have perfect paint and shine, but to say that it is worthless is - completely wrong.

It’s worth whatever you think it is, but for me, having paint jobs that aren’t easy to match, Atlantis Metallic and Aventurine Green… I’m so happy I did it.

I love my shiny cars and they are super easy to clean now. Just spray em really and you’re good. A damp soft cloth takes most things off.
Hate to break it to you, but the car would be just as shiny and easy to clean with just the PPF.
Whatever it is, 500 or not, it's just a bonus for the detailer. He paid 50 bucks for that bottle of ceramic coat and didn't even use full bottle on your car.
But hey, we love wasting money on cars anyway, so why not
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 04:35 AM   #151
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but the car would be just as shiny and easy to clean with just the PPF.
Whatever it is, 500 or not, it's just a bonus for the detailer. He paid 50 bucks for that bottle of ceramic coat and didn't even use full bottle on your car.
But hey, we love wasting money on cars anyway, so why not
Hate to break it to you but you’re completely wrong (again).

I’ve seen ppf with and without ceramic and it’s not the same. You don’t seem to understand the difference between the products. I don’t even care that much about this crap but you’re persistently wrong. Recently there are ppf products with some ceramic properties built into the ppf, it’s still not the same as a ceramic coating on top of the ppf. Not all ppf has ceramic in it also.

Ceramic has it’s own properties.
A bottle of halo is $100, and then materials and labor, and a shop has overhead too which you clearly would find worthless lol.

In addition, some shops give the ceramic completely free with ppf and it’s a great deal. You’d be stupid to not take it. It’s all up to the buyer to negotiate. If these things were worthless no one would buy them at all and the military wouldn’t have invented them (that’s where they came from btw, kinda cool imo).

I guess you just don’t value a shiny car with nice paint as much as another and we could have left it there but instead…

You come off as an aggressive and ignorant skinflint. I don’t know what you’re complaining about $100/yr for. I spend a few hundred dollars every time I leave the house and many times without even leaving the house while I’m still in my underwear shopping lol. I buy three of the same sweaters, sneakers, jeans, whatever…sometimes because I feel like it.

Crypto currency?
Oh yea.

Organic food,
The only way

Ppf while not nothing to me, is not really that big of a deal and I enjoy the product. The cost of ceramic is practically nothing. I like the ppf. It is keeping my paint fresh. Construction is everywhere around here. I like the ceramic. It’s worth it. I hardly wash my car ever and it shines like a mofo.

A car wash membership is over $200/yr. Ceramic is way better.

I’ve had plenty of cars without ppf, and cars with ppf + ceramic and cars with ppf without ceramic. I would always choose to go with the ceramic on top now.

It’s just an added layer of protection and/or shine, which again I find worth it, hate to break it to you. Very worth it.

few things are actual wastes of money, there’s some value in everything. When someone talks about a waste of money, many times that is a sign their finances couldn’t absorb the cost of said “waste”.

Ppf / ceramic is a product. If it makes you feel better to slate it, whether due to your finances or otherwise, then feel free… but you sound cheap or poor complaining about $500 over 5 years for a guaranteed no effort shine.

It is a product with a value and while I certainly wouldn’t mind paying less (for everything), the value is apparent to myself and others.

Perhaps you’re just, like, blind, man.

Did you really complain about them not using the whole bottle?

Wow, so you demand the restaurant show you the bottle they poured your drink from?
How dare they charge you for a drink and not give you all of the contents of the entire bottle.

Are they supposed to bring you the empty bags of food to prove you got every penny’s worth in your meal lol?

When you pay for a haircut do you take the scissors, shampoo, and pomade with you?
Why should they get to use those items with someone else since you paid Supercuts $25 whole dollars.

You are either cheap or poor.
It stinks.

They didn’t use the whole bottle of ceramic thus they are cheap and it’s worthless.
That’s not how things work el cheapo.

Ha ha, it is funny because that really says a lot about you.
And it’s all Yuckie.

I had an uncle who you remind me of a little.
He’d rinse out the ketchup bottle to make sure he got every drop and use watered down ketchup for a week. He did that with everything and it wasn’t because he couldn’t afford to just get more. He’s just fuckin cheap as hell.

I don’t really understand why you spent dumb money on an m3 only to complain about a $100/yr ceramic job but hey, people do weird things.

Get a job man, then you won’t worry so much. Get a better job. Sell drugs or something. Live in a liberal state, they don’t care. Gotta hussle if you want the nice stuff.

Ceramic is def not the problem here.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 06:29 AM   #152
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
12yo rant
You seem generally unhappy with your life. Put that energy you spend typing all that nonsense into something productive, maybe you will get educated...eventually..unlikely though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #153
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You seem generally unhappy with your life. Put that energy you spend typing all that nonsense into something productive, maybe you will get educated...eventually..unlikely though.
Appreciate 0