BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

Has anyone that has bought a g8*x and has come from a SUV regretted buying it for a DD? I'm so used to driving X5 and X3's for that reason I'm nervous to be going down to a car! I think I might hold on to it for like 6months because it's built and on its way here. maybe since the market is so hot for these right now I can flip it for something more expensive and bigger! Maybe go back up to a Porsche, Audi or maybe even a RR (with warranty lol). I live in upstate NY, so that's another reason with the different weather I'm hesitant with a car and I only have one space for a vehicle so I'm going to trade the x5 in!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Went from an X3 M40i to my M3C. Zero regrets.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

My wife used to have an X5 and we now have a G80 that we share although she hasn't driven it yet (we live in NYC)

I would say ground clearance is a bit of an issue in the snow. Recently with the snow the front of the car is acting like a bit of a plough in areas and when you try and park where snow is piled up it's not good so I have avoided it mostly. X5 has no issue as you know

The other thing is the trunk space. We have two kids so two car seats in the back. The trunk in the X5 is so much bigger for strollers and suit cases etc

Overall I love the G80 but the X5 is going to be more practical in winter for sure and more suitable if you have kids / dogs / luggage
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
My wife used to have an X5 and we now have a G80 that we share although she hasn't driven it yet (we live in NYC)

I would say ground clearance is a bit of an issue in the snow. Recently with the snow the front of the car is acting like a bit of a plough in areas and when you try and park where snow is piled up it's not good so I have avoided it mostly. X5 has no issue as you know

The other thing is the trunk space. We have two kids so two car seats in the back. The trunk in the X5 is so much bigger for strollers and suit cases etc

Overall I love the G80 but the X5 is going to be more practical in winter for sure and more suitable if you have kids / dogs / luggage
I have no kids… and the only thing I really put in my trunk are a few grocery bags. I put my 70lb dog in my backseat and everywhere I park 99% of the time is in parking spaces far away from everybody so I don't think that will be a issue!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
Quote:

I have no kids… and the only thing I really put in my trunk are a few grocery bags. I put my 70lb dog in my backseat and everywhere I park 99% of the time is in parking spaces far away from everybody so I don't think that will be a issue!
You should be good then! If there is two foot of snow outside your going to just have to wait for the roads to be ploughed a bit
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You should be good then! If there is two foot of snow outside your going to just have to wait for the roads to be ploughed a bit
OK gives me an excuse to use some of my sick days lol! Guess when I have to go in at 5:30 in the morning to work I'll have to have shovel my driveway instead of using the snowblower so I don't piss off the neighbors even more when I drive fast on my street sometime!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Has anyone that has bought a g8*x and has come from a SUV regretted buying it for a DD? I'm so used to driving X5 and X3's for that reason I'm nervous to be going down to a car! I think I might hold on to it for like 6months because it's built and on its way here. maybe since the market is so hot for these right now I can flip it for something more expensive and bigger! Maybe go back up to a Porsche, Audi or maybe even a RR (with warranty lol). I live in upstate NY, so that's another reason with the different weather I'm hesitant with a car and I only have one space for a vehicle so I'm going to trade the x5 in!
Calling AndroidRobot !

I'll let you know if I ever get my car, I love the X5 for a DD.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Quote:
Calling AndroidRobot !

I'll let you know if I ever get my car, I love the X5 for a DD.
I came from the X5 to an M2 then my G80 M3. I love having a car vs SUV. I actually ordered a Cayman GTS to replace my G80 next year as well. You lose a tiny bit of luxury from a loaded X5 to a loaded M3 but the experience is worthwhile.

Feel free to ask any questions
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
edofloat453.00
      02-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #9
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I went from an X3 xDrive35 to an M235 xDrive to a G05 X5 xDrive40 to an M4 Comp xDrive .. so does that make me automotively bipolar?!? We're a 2-vehicle household, and there's always one SUV in the mix (because dogs). I prefer to drive a car, but I've driven plenty of BMW SAVs since the first shipment of X5s landed.

The transition from a loaded X5 to our well-specced M4 has been painless. Ingress/egress and the view among a sea of pickup trucks and SUVs is what it is. The flip side is driver involvement and sense of occasion; few if any SUVs under $100,000 will come close. The M4 has aced 'heavy-shopping Saturday' and winter weather.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #10
prozzi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Went from an X3 M40i to my M3C. Zero regrets.
I will be doing the same just patiently waiting for the M3c to arrive
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      02-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
Voodoo_G80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G

Your plan on taking the car and potentially trying to flip is not ideal. The used car market is already adjusting. I’m in car sales and a lot of cars are losing value now. Cars had a ton of equity in it but now it has come to the point where it has calmed down. Auction value has dropped tremendously on all used cars. So I would take that thought out your head. If you like the car take delivery. If not don’t.
Appreciate 4
chicagofan0019146.00
barryc3651956.00
Ilyam5894.50
      02-04-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_G80 View Post
Auction value has dropped tremendously on all used cars.
Only on certain things, still many are bringing stupid money, at least all the ones on my lists. Numerous manufacturers are cutting allocations back and curtailing build slots. If this continues used prices will remain high.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 11:30 PM   #13
playswcars
///M-Thusiast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 M50i

Garage List
I went from a G05 to a G80. No regrets at all, while the G05 is an amazingly versatile luxurious car, nothing compares to the G80 IMO.

The whole time I was in the G05 I kept longing for an M car.

Past: G80 M3x, G80 M3, G05 X5, F82 M4, F87 M2C, F20 M140i
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2022, 02:40 AM   #14
Voodoo_G80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G

Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Only on certain things, still many are bringing stupid money, at least all the ones on my lists. Numerous manufacturers are cutting allocations back and curtailing build slots. If this continues used prices will remain high.
Certain things as in?? Everything has slowly adjusted. G wagons with 100k over on auction have took a hit as well. Now that they are back in production along with the v8s, tell me something sitting on a ton of equity. This “flip my car” mentality has faded. It wasn’t going to last forever. Unfortunately new car prices are still where they are ):
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #15
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_G80 View Post
Your plan on taking the car and potentially trying to flip is not ideal. The used car market is already adjusting. I'm in car sales and a lot of cars are losing value now. Cars had a ton of equity in it but now it has come to the point where it has calmed down. Auction value has dropped tremendously on all used cars. So I would take that thought out your head. If you like the car take delivery. If not don't.
That's an interesting insight from some one on the ground. We all knew this couldn't last, it was a supply shock. The cure for higher prices, is high prices. Supply always catches up eventually
Appreciate 0