home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

05-26-2022, 03:07 PM   #133
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

My car should be here soon. Still haven't figured out what to do with the plate:
      05-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #134
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashour View Post
My car should be here soon. Still haven't figured out what to do with the plate:
Leave it in the trunk.
Appreciate 4
Mashour754.50
Bostro530.00
Seedster2279.00
      06-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #135
Team Tonka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 xDrive Comp.

Another potential quick release version....

http://usmillworks.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #136
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Does anybody have the carbonio front plate? Would like to see how it's taken off and put on for the g80 specifically.
      06-05-2022, 09:08 PM   #137
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Quote:
Does anybody have the carbonio front plate? Would like to see how it's taken off and put on for the g80 specifically.
I have it. It's very easy to put on and take off, and you can basically mount it just about anywhere on the grill you want.

The plate has two clips that rotate to secure it, and those clips need to be screwed onto the plate prior to mounting. I've found it difficult to tighten those screws because of some awkward angling, so I need to remove it and retighten those screws from time to time. Besides that, it's very easy and looks pretty good.
Appreciate 1
T0RM3NT3642.00
      06-05-2022, 09:12 PM   #138
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMT View Post
Quote:
I have it. It's very easy to put on and take off, and you can basically mount it just about anywhere on the grill you want.

The plate has two clips that rotate to secure it, and those clips need to be screwed onto the plate prior to mounting. I've found it difficult to tighten those screws because of some awkward angling, so I need to remove it and retighten those screws from time to time. Besides that, it's very easy and looks pretty good.
Would appreciate it if you could maybe post a video of it on and off or some pics! This is definitely the one I'm considering
      06-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #139
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would appreciate it if you could maybe post a video of it on and off or some pics! This is definitely the one I'm considering
I don't have any videos, but here are some real world pics from a few different angles.

This is the positioning that I like best. It could be installed differently based on your preferences.

Note that in the parking lot pic, it appears as though the angle of the plate is a little bit off. I think it was tilting forward slightly and probably needed to be tightened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mashour754.50
T0RM3NT3642.00
      06-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #140
Mashour
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have any videos, but here are some real world pics from a few different angles.

This is the positioning that I like best. It could be installed differently based on your preferences.

Note that in the parking lot pic, it appears as though the angle of the plate is a little bit off. I think it was tilting forward slightly and probably needed to be tightened.
I'm sold!
      06-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #141
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Silly question, the dealer installed plate mounts that require drilling, they don't block the ACC sensor do they?

To me it looks like cars with the Carbonio mounts are very close to where the "OEM" mounts would go, and the Carbonio mounts block ACC.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #142
Dundas
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 xDrive BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR17 View Post
Silly question, the dealer installed plate mounts that require drilling, they don't block the ACC sensor do they?

To me it looks like cars with the Carbonio mounts are very close to where the "OEM" mounts would go, and the Carbonio mounts block ACC.
From Carbonio's website:
* Does not fit cars fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Cars with ACC have a VERY large oval shaped sensor interrupting the bottom half of the right side (when viewed from the front) kidney grille
'08 E92 M3 BSM - sold
'02 E46 M3 CB - sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 04:14 PM   #143
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Ugh, just got pulled over, but he gave me a warning for not having a front plate. He wrote it up though, so it's in their system now. The next time I get pulled over, they will probably ticket me for it if I don't put one on. I was doing so well for 6 months or so. Then I drove by a cop accelerating (but not speeding), and caught his attention.

Going back over this thread, I think I like the center mounted option best, but I have ACC and all the parking assistance package, etc. Has anyone successfully mounted a plate in the front center that has those options? It looks like it's going to interfere with it....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:51 PM   #144
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwoodCC View Post
Ugh, just got pulled over, but he gave me a warning for not having a front plate. He wrote it up though, so it's in their system now. The next time I get pulled over, they will probably ticket me for it if I don't put one on. I was doing so well for 6 months or so. Then I drove by a cop accelerating (but not speeding), and caught his attention.

Going back over this thread, I think I like the center mounted option best, but I have ACC and all the parking assistance package, etc. Has anyone successfully mounted a plate in the front center that has those options? It looks like it's going to interfere with it....
OEM holder is the only option for center mount with acc that I'm aware of.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #145
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Bushwood,

I couldn't get over how awkward the US plate shape looked when mounted on the nose with the Carbonio mount. The Euro plates work much better on our cars' noses.

I have a dislike of asymmetrical details on cars so always avoided the tow-hook mounts. However, I've had the RHO plate mount for quite a while now and I'm pretty happy with it. Our cars and Alfa Romeos are probably just stuck with the asymmetry.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #146
579x116
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

For those who need a front license plate you might want to consider what I did on our M4. I took a couple of toggle bolts using a 2.5 inch bolt put in "backwards". The toggle then grips nicely from behind the grille and the plate fits perfectly. I also put a thin adhesive rubber pad on the back of the plate to avoid scratches. We think it looks OK, took 5 minutes and cost less than $10.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rux643.50
      07-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #147
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
Ordered my 2021 M4 Competition. Unfortunately, NY requires both front and rear plates. I'm told that upon delivery the dealer will ask for my final input on fastening the front plates.

Thoughts?
2016 M4 GTS.

TX requires front plate, enforcement is rare but unfortunately I was pulled over by an evidently very bored statey, no fine but ruined my drive and my whole day truth be told.

So I put on a tow hook mount from US Millworks.

Very easy to do, no drilling and easily completely reversed to stock in a few minutes if desired.

I understand those who just say f**k it but I am a bit apprehensive and prefer to not worry when I go out for a drive.
I live in Texas also. Leave it in my glove box and if I get pulled over I just grab it and toss it on the dash. So far no cop has even asked me about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #148
Beast_Mode_Wagon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

So I ordered the EOS tow hook plate and mounted it to my G82 yesterday. I live in NY state (enough said).

https://eosplates.com/products/2021-...40152000987285

Everything went smoothly at first using the YouTube video below as a guide. However, I started driving around and every time I came to a stop the PDC would activate thinking I am trying to park and of course the section of my car flashing yellow was where I had the tow hook plate mounted. It was driving me nuts constantly chiming every time I stop at a traffic light or stop sign so I finally turned off the PDC automatic setting. Even then whenever I put the car in reverse the PDC would come on again going nuts with that annoying beep and the tow hook mount section of my car flashing on the display (it became annoying lol).

So last night I went online looking for a solution and found this thread. Thank goodness. After reading some of the options, I went trouble shooting at 4 AM in the morning and after a hour I solved the problem. What did I do:

1) I turned on my car so I could monitor if and when the PDC was activated

2) I took the plate off and started to remount it and see if there was certain angles that worked better to not trip up the sensor.

3) I read where folks mentioned that they didn’t have this issue with the Rho plate. From what I observed it seemed the Rho plate mounted closer to the car body than the EOS bracket. EOS sends you two small aluminum type spacer washers that you put between the plate and the tow hook connection.

I was using both of these aluminum spacer washers and I decided to get rid of one of these small spacers so the plate mounted closer to the car

4) I moved the plate around and found that I needed to move the Mounting location as far away from the center and to your left as possible (when facing the car). You are actually moving it in the direction of the PDC sensor. Seems counter intuitive, but that is what worked in my case. You can move it an inch towards the center grill and it would trip off the PDC so a minor movement can make a big difference

5) After mounting, I put some pressure on the outer portion of the plate mount to bend the plate even closer to the car body.

Conclusion, the EOS plate will work, but you have to get rid of one of the spacers so it mounts closer to the car body. Also mount it as far left (when facing the car) away from the center grill as possible. Apply some pressure if needed to the outer end to bend it in closer the car body. Don’t worry there will still be a good amount of space between the mount and the car.

Hopefully this helps someone. Thank you for all the great input because I would have never solved this without your feedback. Now, I can finally get some sleep LOL.

For reference this video shows the aluminum spacer thingy I referenced. They use 2 of these aluminum spacer washers in this video between the tow hook and the plate. I eliminated one of these.

Last edited by Beast_Mode_Wagon; 08-07-2022 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
TurboAL471030.00
      08-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #149
Sleepy_M3C
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 competition xdrive

I'm taking delivery soon and just picked up the RHO plate v2. Does anyone know exactly how the tow hook cover is removed?

Last edited by Sleepy_M3C; 08-28-2022 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Clarifying
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #150
Dundas
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 xDrive BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_M3C View Post
I'm taking delivery soon and just picked up the RHO plate v2. Does anyone know exactly how the tow hook cover is removed?
Just push the top in then wiggle it to pull out the retaining bit.
Use the furthest right holes (facing it) on the Rho Plate. Looks better IMO than the suggested position. Does not interfere with cameras or sensors.
'08 E92 M3 BSM - sold
'02 E46 M3 CB - sold

Last edited by Dundas; 08-28-2022 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #151
Sleepy_M3C
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 competition xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
Just push the top in then wiggle it to pull out the retaining bit.
Use the furthest right holes (facing it) on the Rho Plate. Looks better IMO than the suggested position. Does not interfere with cameras or sensors.
Thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #152
Chris_DUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Does anyone of you have a picture of the Rho plate on a blue car? I am so torn where to place the front plate. Without seems to be not the best, cost like $200 if police pulls you over in BC, Canada
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #153
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DUS View Post
Does anyone of you have a picture of the Rho plate on a blue car? I am so torn where to place the front plate. Without seems to be not the best, cost like $200 if police pulls you over in BC, Canada
Just put it on.
Attached Images

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 07:17 PM   #154
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Anyone confirm if the Carbonio fits with a CSL grill? Also does the sto n go work with an m performance lip?
Appreciate 0