BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

03-20-2021, 03:47 AM   #23
Global6000
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I ordered the EOS mounting kit for the 4 series since the bumper is similar. I did a quick sizing test when the box came in and I should be able to make it work. It might need an extra washer for a a little bit more spacing. Car is getting PPF right now but I can update once I install the mount .
Appreciate 1
Bahamut709.50
      03-20-2021, 04:27 AM   #24
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
Ordered my 2021 M4 Competition. Unfortunately, NY requires both front and rear plates. I'm told that upon delivery the dealer will ask for my final input on fastening the front plates.

Thoughts?
I have a Sto n Sho mount on my F82, which allows the plate to be popped on and off in 5 seconds or so. I'm sure they will come up with an application eventually. I don't like to drive w/o a plate because it gives a reason to get pulled over (which I have been in the past); also, City of Portland parking Nazis have been taught to slap an $85 ticket on any car parked without a front plate.
I have the sto and sho for my F90 and very happy with it: screws go underneath so no holes to see when license plate is taken off which takes 1 second.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695642

Not my car by representative of how it looks when installed. Having said that, not sure how sho and sto will be able to make an application for the new M3/4 because of the large grills; perhaps on the bottom left or right of the grilles.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #25
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
I have the sto and sho for my F90 and very happy with it: screws go underneath so no holes to see when license plate is taken off which takes 1 second.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695642

Not my car by representative of how it looks when installed. Having said that, not sure how sho and sto will be able to make an application for the new M3/4 because of the large grills; perhaps on the bottom left or right of the grilles.
I called them and they said they haven’t been able to fit the car yet quoted me something like 3 weeks before they could see the car.

Patiently waiting lol.
Appreciate 1
flanast148.50
      03-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #26
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

For those that have the car already and thinking tow hook mount, can you confirm if doing so messes with the parking sensors ?
      03-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #27
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
For those that have the car already and thinking tow hook mount, can you confirm if doing so messes with the parking sensors ?
Hey bud so i sized where the tow hook plate would go. It will not but you may need one of those frames with multiple holes because center would stick it right in front of the grill and it would look atrocious (M4).

Edit: of course since i haven’t been able to actually order and install one yet, this goes as a warning that there may be some interference, but as far as I can tell it would not directly block any sensors, per what the manual shows as where each sensor is located. Unfortunately there’s no way to tell without actually testing it.

Last edited by Kansr; 03-22-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey bud so i sized where the tow hook plate would go. It will not but you may need one of those frames with multiple holes because center would stick it right in front of the grill and it would look atrocious (M4).

Edit: of course since i haven’t been able to actually order and install one yet, this goes as a warning that there may be some interference, but as far as I can tell it would not directly block any sensors, per what the manual shows as where each sensor is located. Unfortunately there’s no way to tell without actually testing it.
tyvm ... yea i eyeballed it when i went to see the car, if theres a hole on the right hand side of the bracket then it should go nicely in the area between the tow hook and the next PDC sensor to the left

i will report back when i try this week, or whenever delivery is
      03-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #29
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
tyvm ... yea i eyeballed it when i went to see the car, if theres a hole on the right hand side of the bracket then it should go nicely in the area between the tow hook and the next PDC sensor to the left

i will report back when i try this week, or whenever delivery is
Do you have the previous gen bracket and tow bar? If so let me know if the threads depth etc fit?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #30
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the previous gen bracket and tow bar? If so let me know if the threads depth etc fit?
nope didnt take the cover off to see... im thinking something like this for the time being until US millwork releases the G8X design, if doesnt fit return to amazon and just zip tie it for time being lol

https://www.amazon.ca/iJDMTOY-Tow-Ad...e%2C152&sr=1-5
      03-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #31
Global6000
Rep

Alright Bros and Brodettes,

I MacGyvered the G22 4 series mount from EOS to fit my G80 M3.

Somehow I had a longer bolt and enough washers laying around to extend it the extra 1/2 inch .

No issues with PDC sensors with the positioning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      03-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #32
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global6000 View Post
Alright Bros and Brodettes,

I MacGyvered the G22 4 series mount from EOS to fit my G80 M3.

Somehow I had a longer bolt and enough washers laying around to extend it the extra 1/2 inch .

No issues with PDC sensors with the positioning.
Hallelujah man, if I could buy you a coffee I would, the extra bolt came from the kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:03 AM   #33
Global6000
Rep

Haha I could use a coffee right about now...

Yes I put the shorter bolt from the actual kit next to it for reference.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #34
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you! Already purchased, I know I have some washers somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #35
Global6000
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! Already purchased, I know I have some washers somewhere.
Nice! And just to clarify you will also have to procure your own “longer” bolt , I imagine most hardware stores should have a match.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #36
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

...in the trunk. Mine will be front plate free. Will risk the violations.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5254.00
      03-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #37
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
...in the trunk. Mine will be front plate free. Will risk the violations.
Going for dark tints... in an all black car with no front plate is just asking for it on my way to and from work... the troopers here, have nothing better to do.

To be quite fair it’s almost impossible to do the speed limit in this car (55 sometimes 50 mph).

Getting a radar asap.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Going for dark tints... in an all black car with no front plate is just asking for it on my way to and from work... the troopers here, have nothing better to do.

To be quite fair it’s almost impossible to do the speed limit in this car (55 sometimes 50 mph).

Getting a radar asap.
Understood.

And, yes, almost ALL of us will need radar detectors in the G8Xs.

I want to get the Silverstone interior, and it looks so pretty that I don't want to conceal it with a dark tint. For the first time ever I may go with no tint, or a really light tint (like 45-50%). I want to see those Silverstone seats when I walk up to the car each time, and smile.

Last edited by KevinGS; 03-24-2021 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kansr163.00
      03-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #39
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global6000 View Post
Nice! And just to clarify you will also have to procure your own “longer” bolt , I imagine most hardware stores should have a match.
After following your directions, I was unable to find the correct combination of washers and or bolt to provide clearance and still feel safe this thing was not going to rotate on me on the highway and destroy my bumper, so I spoke with EOS, and we’re going to try something else.

I noticed you have something metallic looking where they said to use the rubber washer(during installation) in your picture. Right after the sandwiched plastic bits that help angle the plate... is that a lock washer?

No matter how I tightened this thing the was still a bit of rotational give.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #40
Global6000
Rep

Quote:
After following your directions, I was unable to find the correct combination of washers and or bolt to provide clearance and still feel safe this thing was not going to rotate on me on the highway and destroy my bumper, so I spoke with EOS, and we’re going to try something else.

I noticed you have something metallic looking where they said to use the rubber washer(during installation) in your picture. Right after the sandwiched plastic bits that help angle the plate... is that a lock washer?

No matter how I tightened this thing the was still a bit of rotational give.

Yeah It’s a grooved metal washer that was provided with the EOS kit it wasn’t actually rubber haha ... maybe they made a mistake but I’m Not sure it actually amounts to much...

I mean if I push on my plate from top or bottom hard enough I too could cause rotation but as you’re driving the relative wind against the flat of the plate really shouldn’t cause a rotational force in the same manner. I’m able to get mine quite tight though and have had several highway excursions with no issue .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #41
Global6000
Rep

I’ll add, If your bolt is too long you’ll bottom out and won’t be able to adequately tighten . Maybe adding that external toothed lock washer will make the difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:44 PM   #42
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Took delivery this weekend. I got our friends to build a kit for us. We made it to be very slim and tight. I think this looks way better than the factory placement. Contact Rho-Plate if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Kansr163.00
Bahamut709.50
      03-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #43
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
Took delivery this weekend. I got our friends to build a kit for us. We made it to be very slim and tight. I think this looks way better than the factory placement. Contact Rho-Plate if interested.
Waiting on EOS but looks like this will be the backup.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #44
Carbonio
Rep
Drives: M2

Carbonio just released their front license plate mount for the 2021+ (G80) M3 and (G82) M4. Full details in the link but the good news is that it mounts the plate in the middle of the bumper (4 height options), makes no holes, and is easily removable. Works on license plate sizes from anywhere in the world and does not interfere with the front camera or parking sensors. Here is the product link:

https://carbonio.com/collections/bmw...se-plate-mount
Attached Images

Appreciate 0