BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

10-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
mrmjb1989
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

M3 Touring vs X5/X6 M60i - Can the M lites give you a similar buzz?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
New to the whole BMW M & M lite. So my financial situation has now allowed me to move up a bit in the world. After some careful research I’m pretty torn between a full fat M in the form of an M3 touring. Or either the X5 or X6 m60i LCI. I’m really looking for anyone who’s had experience of both M performance and full M models to see their opinions.

There are obviously pros and cons to both, I get that. Being my first opportunity in this financial position to essentially go out and get whichever I please I’m wondering if I will be left wanting if I went for the x5 or x6 over a proper M car. I know anyone who reads this might think ‘so get the x5/6M’ however I don’t honestly believe the £40-50k premium would be worth the money.

I essentially will be using whichever car I pick as my daily. Having two young children means that space isn’t a huge factor right now. I know both offer sufficient space and obviously the X having more than ample room to accommodate the family. From a driving perspective I’d say there’s likely around a 70/30 split between how much I daily and how much I’d use the car to take for a spirited drive. Which I get can be a factor.

I just want to gauge people’s thoughts on whether the M performance models can stack up to the proper M cars in terms of being fun to live with when they’re needed to be.

I’m not into heavy modifications or into car meets or track days or anything of that nature. It’s simply a case of being about 90% set on the M3 up until about a week back, when I saw the new X5 in the dealership and had a good look round it, sat in it and felt the premium of its cabin and space. That’s not to say the M3 feels cheap in anyway. I’ve just always had a bit of soft sport for performance SUVs and their presence on the road.

So anyone whose made the transition from M lite to M or visa versa I’d appreciate some feedback
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2023, 10:51 PM   #2
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
You're opening a dangerous can of worms here.

Generally the M cars are a bigger jump than you think. It's much more than just an engine, the total package of engineering is completely different. That said, an SUV is still an SUV and I'm not convinced the difference between them is as stark as the cars. Best thing is to see if you can drive both and determine for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Do yourself a favor and subscribe to The Intercooler app for a month and read their article comparing the three, three tourings: M340i, Alpina B3 and M3. The results are...interesting.

Suspect that maybe the M340i might be the best option for you?

I am not a fan of the M SUV's at all. Every one I've driven has been far too stiff to control the mass.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I’ve owned both the X5 M50 & my current M3 Comp xDrive.

X5 was so smooth and luxurious. It had a great engine (that V8 sounds amazing) and handled well for a big SUV. You felt like you were in an M car up until you really tried to push it into corners.

The M3 is a different beast completely. It is so direct and fast that it’s almost boring to drive around at the speed limit. I don’t find it too stiff for daily use, but I also optioned the carbon buckets so take that into account. It really comes alive the harder you push it. For me, it’s the perfect daily with plenty of space for my family (3 kids).

When it comes to spirited driving, the M3 will put a smile on your face while the X5 will really let you down. When it comes to luxury and a great sounding engine, the M3 can’t really beat the X5, but it does come pretty close.

Overall, I wanted to be able to have a drivers car over a softer luxury experience and I think the M3 delivers that. Looking at the entire BMW lineup, I don’t think there are really any options with 4 doors that compare to our current gen M3s.

My wife does still miss the X5’s V8 when she takes her new Defender out to do the school run. This has required me to let her take out my M3, and she comes back with a huge smile and forgets about the X5 completely
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #5
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmjb1989 View Post
New to the whole BMW M & M lite. So my financial situation has now allowed me to move up a bit in the world. After some careful research I’m pretty torn between a full fat M in the form of an M3 touring. Or either the X5 or X6 m60i LCI. I’m really looking for anyone who’s had experience of both M performance and full M models to see their opinions.

There are obviously pros and cons to both, I get that. Being my first opportunity in this financial position to essentially go out and get whichever I please I’m wondering if I will be left wanting if I went for the x5 or x6 over a proper M car. I know anyone who reads this might think ‘so get the x5/6M’ however I don’t honestly believe the £40-50k premium would be worth the money.

I essentially will be using whichever car I pick as my daily. Having two young children means that space isn’t a huge factor right now. I know both offer sufficient space and obviously the X having more than ample room to accommodate the family. From a driving perspective I’d say there’s likely around a 70/30 split between how much I daily and how much I’d use the car to take for a spirited drive. Which I get can be a factor.

I just want to gauge people’s thoughts on whether the M performance models can stack up to the proper M cars in terms of being fun to live with when they’re needed to be.

I’m not into heavy modifications or into car meets or track days or anything of that nature. It’s simply a case of being about 90% set on the M3 up until about a week back, when I saw the new X5 in the dealership and had a good look round it, sat in it and felt the premium of its cabin and space. That’s not to say the M3 feels cheap in anyway. I’ve just always had a bit of soft sport for performance SUVs and their presence on the road.

So anyone whose made the transition from M lite to M or visa versa I’d appreciate some feedback
I had an X5 M50i (pre-LCI) and went to an M4.

It's an entirely different beast. When they say M lite, they really mean *light*. The suspension, while not necessarily "soft and supple" on the X5 was way more forgiving than the M4 is. Not to say the M4 is "uncomfortable" but you really feel all the bumps and are more "one" with the road than on the X5. An X5M would be a similar jump I imagine.

If you like and appreciate the premium interior of the X5, I think you'll be a little disappointed by the M3. The X5/X6 LCI is updated now for '24, has iDrive 8.5, and offers more comfortable seats, things like massage, optional air suspension, soft close doors, a *much* nicer sound system, etc.

If you really want the better *driving experience*, the M3 is going to be a lot nicer, though that's not to say the X5/X6 M60i won't drive poorly by any means, and it's quite fast.

But whatever you do, please don't get an X6 :P
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2023, 12:21 AM   #6
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

So you’re talking SUV vs M3, and hope to get some sort of a buzz 🐝.

I had a F90 M5 Competition and the buzz I was getting was nowhere near the buzz I get from my M4.

Let me tell you that the G8x is the best car in the current BMW offering , from a buzz perspective
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0