Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Ready to Track my G80 RWD

Hey All,

Just purchased my new to me 2021 Brooklyn Gray G80. Bone stock with 23K on the odometer.

I've always wanted to track a car and this is my first serious performance car and I'm excited to delve into it. Looking for any tips/advice you'd be willing to offer a complete novice. I'm in South Florida so I intend to spend most of my track time at Homestead with perhaps the occasional trip up to Sebring.

As far as upgrades to the car, it's currently running downpipes, mid pipe and a E50/93oct custom tune(s). I only intend to use the 93oct tune for the track.

As far as suspension upgrades, I did decide to bite the financial bullet and pick up the KW V3 coilovers and Vorshlag Camber plates. After much angst and debating I decided this was the better (and proper) way to go about lowering the car and especially a good idea if I want to track the car semi-regularly. The idea of lowering springs (not necessarily knocking it I get it has it's use and place), which will likely prematurely wear out the struts and then have to be replaced anyway was hard to wrap my wallet around.

I also intend to upgrade the brake fluid before the first track day.

Any advice on what I should be looking for as far as my corner balancing and alignment. I'm thinking a setup that helps keep the car as neutral as possible until I have more experience and a better idea of dynamics and what the car is doing to then better understand what kind of mechanical inputs/changes I can make to dial it in for me.

Obviously the car is waaaay above my head relative to my skill set and I get that so I'm mostly hoping to grow into the car etc.

Any advice as far as the car or driving etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by jnslance; 02-20-2023 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
AWDSOME629.50
      02-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnslance View Post
Hey All,

Just purchased my new to me 2021 Brooklyn Gray G80. Bone stock with 23K on the odometer.

I've always wanted to track a car and this is my first serious performance car and I'm excited to delve into it. Looking for any tips/advice you'd be willing to offer a complete novice. I'm in South Florida so I intend to spend most of my track time at Homestead with perhaps the occasional trip up to Sebring.

As far as upgrades to the car, it's currently running downpipes, mid pipe and a E50/93oct custom tune(s). I only intend to use the 93oct tune for the track.

As far as suspension upgrades, I did decide to bite the financial bullet and pick up the KW V3 coilovers and Vorshlag Camber plates. After much angst and debating I decided this was the better (and proper) way to go about lowering the car and especially a good idea if I want to track the car semi-regularly. The idea of lowering springs (not necessarily knocking it I get it has it's use and place), which will likely prematurely wear out the struts and then have to be replaced anyway was hard to wrap my wallet around.

I also intend to upgrade the brake fluid before the first track day.

Any advice on what I should be looking for as far as my corner balancing and alignment. I'm thinking a setup that helps keep the car as neutral as possible until I have more experience and a better idea of dynamics and what the car is doing to then better understand what kind of mechanical inputs/changes I can make to dial it in for me.

Obviously the car is waaaay above my head relative to my skill set and I get that so I'm mostly hoping to grow into the car etc.

Any advice as far as the car or driving etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
First of all, congrats on the new car, and welcome to the club!

If you have no experience on track, then you're probably overthinking this. The car is quite capable stock, and you likely won't be able to appreciate the changes you've made/are considering until you have more experience.

Since you've already put on camber plates you might as well throw on some neg camber to preserve your tires. For brake fluid, consider SRF or Motul, but honestly the stock fluid is probably good enough for your first couple of days. You'll also have to switch out the stock brake pads for something that fades less eventually if you get more serious.

I wouldn't worry about corner balancing or adjusting toe etc. until you feel like you're nearing the limit of what the car can do, and have a better idea of what kind of handling characteristics suit your driving style. If you really want to maximize right now, then you could probably take it to a good performance shop and ask for a generic track alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:38 PM   #3
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
First of all, congrats on the new car, and welcome to the club!

If you have no experience on track, then you're probably overthinking this. The car is quite capable stock, and you likely won't be able to appreciate the changes you've made/are considering until you have more experience.

Since you've already put on camber plates you might as well throw on some neg camber to preserve your tires. For brake fluid, consider SRF or Motul, but honestly the stock fluid is probably good enough for your first couple of days. You'll also have to switch out the stock brake pads for something that fades less eventually if you get more serious.

I wouldn't worry about corner balancing or adjusting toe etc. until you feel like you're nearing the limit of what the car can do, and have a better idea of what kind of handling characteristics suit your driving style. If you really want to maximize right now, then you could probably take it to a good performance shop and ask for a generic track alignment.

Thank you very much for responding. The Coilovers and Camberplates are already purchased and due to be installed so that is going to done but I fully anticipate it will more than exceed my abilities for quite sometime (I know the stock would have as well). I purchased the Coilovers because I wanted the car lowered anyways and preferred to do it the right way rather than lowering springs and then inevitably having to replace the struts anyways (car has 24K miles on it as it is). The added track benefit will be a bonus as I hopefully get into tracking more seriously.

I'm going to have the car aligned at a local shop that handles most of the racing alignments for folks who track at Homestead Raceway. For now just going for some negative camber. I know cornerbalancing is when you're chasing 10ths of a second and I'm not there yet.

As far as brakes are concerned, I've been thinking to pick up some of the EBC Bluestuff for now (I get the sense that will last me more than a few track days since I won't be pushing the car nearly to it's limits yet) and I'd still like something that is relatively quiet and usable on the street for now. I plan to run the OEM pads until they're gone and then throw on the Bluestuff. Any other recommendations for brands in the same vein? I think track focused pads like Cobalt or G-loc aren't really necessary at this pint.

I've already picked up some Motul 660 just to be safe as well.

First track day will hopefully be in April so looking forward to it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Lowering springs are optional for these cars when driving on a track, but camber plates are a necessity. I drove my G82 for over a year with the stock suspension (but with camber plates) before the MP HAS kit came out, and it does just fine. I have now installed the kit on my new G82 but have not taken it on the track yet. I am really not expecting a life changing experience here, but what the Hell. Also, you should set the height somewhere in the area of the BMW recommend height listed for the MP HAS kit. No matter whose kit you are using this is the best height for the best track performance for these cars. Keep in mind that you are new to this and as such you will not be driving the car anywhere near it's limits for quite awhile. As your instructor will tell you... concentrate on driving smoothly and accurately. The speed will come. Camber plates will extend the useful life of your front tires. This is something you will appreciate when you begin to realize the expense involved in "consumables" when track driving.

Once your suspension is installed you will need an alignment. There is only one place to go for a proper track alignment here in the Miami area "Apex Alignment" in Kendall. Albert (AKA Yoda) is legendary and sought out by HPDE and race drivers from all over the area. He will talk to you for awhile and learn about you, and what you are looking for. Then he will set the car up specifically for you. As for corner balancing, and Albert will tell you this as well... fuggedaboutit. It is wildly expensive and time consuming, and will result in no benefit to you. It is only beneficial to cars and drivers at a very high level of competition.

High temp brake fluid is a must. Nothing will dampen your enthusiasm in the braking zone like a mushy brake pedal.

You will very quickly need to replace your brake pads. The OEM's are not suited to the track, and if you are going to continue you will need to switch to track pads. There is lots of discussion about this on the forum. Do your home work.

Have fun, and I will keep my eye out for you. You will be easy to spot. I don't see many of these cars on the Track.
      02-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Lowering springs are optional for these cars when driving on a track, but camber plates are a necessity. I drove my G82 for over a year with the stock suspension (but with camber plates) before the MP HAS kit came out, and it does just fine. I have now installed the kit on my new G82 but have not taken it on the track yet. I am really not expecting a life changing experience here, but what the Hell. Also, you should set the height somewhere in the area of the BMW recommend height listed for the MP HAS kit. No matter whose kit you are using this is the best height for the best track performance for these cars. Keep in mind that you are new to this and as such you will not be driving the car anywhere near it's limits for quite awhile. As your instructor will tell you... concentrate on driving smoothly and accurately. The speed will come. Camber plates will extend the useful life of your front tires. This is something you will appreciate when you begin to realize the expense involved in "consumables" when track driving.

Once your suspension is installed you will need an alignment. There is only one place to go for a proper track alignment here in the Miami area "Apex Alignment" in Kendall. Albert (AKA Yoda) is legendary and sought out by HPDE and race drivers from all over the area. He will talk to you for awhile and learn about you, and what you are looking for. Then he will set the car up specifically for you. As for corner balancing, and Albert will tell you this as well... fuggedaboutit. It is wildly expensive and time consuming, and will result in no benefit to you. It is only beneficial to cars and drivers at a very high level of competition.

High temp brake fluid is a must. Nothing will dampen your enthusiasm in the braking zone like a mushy brake pedal.

You will very quickly need to replace your brake pads. The OEM's are not suited to the track, and if you are going to continue you will need to switch to track pads. There is lots of discussion about this on the forum. Do your home work.

Have fun, and I will keep my eye out for you. You will be easy to spot. I don't see many of these cars on the Track.

Albert is at Apex is precisely who I have it lined up to take it to. Someone in another chat group I follow made the same recommendation to me so that's good.

I mentioned above that I planned to pick up some EBC Bluestuff pads for now. I've been doing a lot of research on the pads and Cobalt and G-Loc seem like overkill since I won't be pushing the car nearly hard enough for a while.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ride height. I was wondering what lowered height would be ideal for tracking the car. I already. have the Vorshlag plates on delivery now to be installed with the coilovers.

Last edited by jnslance; 02-21-2023 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #6
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

If you’ve never done track time, I’d strongly advise taking a proper course and getting instruction. The G80 is a monster, and more than capable in stock form. It will have limits far-higher than anything you should be exploring as a novice.

If you really want to learn things, go buy a beater Miata and learn from there. Do track days and autocross schools. You’ll learn more about dynamics, racing line, form, and a myriad of other things. For what you’re willing to invest in changes to the G80, you can purchase a great track toy and have a blast.

Just my opinion. I ended up in Formula Fords and 125cc shifter karts for years. Progressed to the point I was winning SKUSA regional races. Way-cheaper, and head-to-head racing is a blast, something I would never do in a stock G80.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 02:48 PM   #7
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
If you’ve never done track time, I’d strongly advise taking a proper course and getting instruction. The G80 is a monster, and more than capable in stock form. It will have limits far-higher than anything you should be exploring as a novice.

If you really want to learn things, go buy a beater Miata and learn from there. Do track days and autocross schools. You’ll learn more about dynamics, racing line, form, and a myriad of other things. For what you’re willing to invest in changes to the G80, you can purchase a great track toy and have a blast.

Just my opinion. I ended up in Formula Fords and 125cc shifter karts for years. Progressed to the point I was winning SKUSA regional races. Way-cheaper, and head-to-head racing is a blast, something I would never do in a stock G80.
My first track day in April is setup through a driving school. Thanks for the opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

PDG on the 7th by any chance?
      02-21-2023, 03:44 PM   #9
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
PDG on the 7th by any chance?
That's the one
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:36 PM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Excellent advice here. I'll second it and add a few more ideas:

Focus on the driver, not the car. The car is more than capable. Save the money on future "improvements" and use it instead on more HPDE. In-car instruction is mandatory. The quality and usefulness of instructors will vary (case in point: I used to instruct, so obviously the bar can be set quite low) but generally at the very least they will keep you out of trouble.

It may be a bit of a drive from MIA, but there's a great track in Savannah called Roebling Road, lots of clubs do events there and I've learned more there than most people have forgotten. No, wait, that's not right...

I started doing HPDE back in the 90s. A buddy of mine had an E36 M3 and we did a bunch of schools together. At one weekend that he already paid for at Roebling, his car was in the shop so he used a rental (nothing is faster than a rental car). In this case it was a Dodge Neon with the 3 speed automatic and probably over 100 horsepower. Probably. Later he said that he learned more that weekend than all the time spent in the M3.

Enjoy!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #11
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Excellent advice here. I'll second it and add a few more ideas:

Focus on the driver, not the car. The car is more than capable. Save the money on future "improvements" and use it instead on more HPDE. In-car instruction is mandatory. The quality and usefulness of instructors will vary (case in point: I used to instruct, so obviously the bar can be set quite low) but generally at the very least they will keep you out of trouble.

It may be a bit of a drive from MIA, but there's a great track in Savannah called Roebling Road, lots of clubs do events there and I've learned more there than most people have forgotten. No, wait, that's not right...

I started doing HPDE back in the 90s. A buddy of mine had an E36 M3 and we did a bunch of schools together. At one weekend that he already paid for at Roebling, his car was in the shop so he used a rental (nothing is faster than a rental car). In this case it was a Dodge Neon with the 3 speed automatic and probably over 100 horsepower. Probably. Later he said that he learned more that weekend than all the time spent in the M3.

Enjoy!
This was very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you! My first HPDE in April is with an instructor. Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #12
m2michael23
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition

Been tracking my G82 for two year. Did learned a few things over the years. I totally agree if this is your first time, you won’t need much upgrades for your vehicle. The stock setup is very capable for beginner. Focus on your skill, your lines and your pace.

Keep the nannies on until they limit your lap time.

Brakes: stock is very good. Only drawback it’s the fluid if you push it hard. SRF and goodridge SS line will last you a full year.

If you want some good street/track pads, try endless mx72. Minimal dust and great stopping power.

Suspension: KW and camber plate will probably bring you up to -3.1 for the front. Rear max from stock with Coilover it’s -2.3.
You will quickly find out those will be not enough when your skill improve. SPL arms will be your next purchase if you continue to this “dark road” lol.

I am runnning -3.9 front and -2.7 rear.

Tires: R compound are great for track days. Stay away from CUP2. They burn your $$$ quick.

Lastly, enjoy the car on the track. It’s fast and fun.
Attached Images

JDUNITNOW3513.00
zero213253.00
DRAGM334.50
ChrisM41626.00
RUNSOK237.00