BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

View Poll Results: My choice for a G8X M3/M4 alternative will be a:
Mercedes 56 9.82%
Porsche 267 46.84%
Audi 42 7.37%
Tesla 40 7.02%
Chevrolet Corvette C8 53 9.30%
Other 91 15.96%
A different BMW 21 3.68%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

12-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #111
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

My wife took the Cayenne for oil service last week and I told her to ask if she could take a 992 C4 out for a short drive while waiting...oh my, let’s just say at this moment it feels like we stepped way past the point of no return but let’s see, I plan to try to keep the G82 door open for a bit longer
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #112
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
My wife took the Cayenne for oil service last week and I told her to ask if she could take a 992 C4 out for a short drive while waiting...oh my, let’s just say at this moment it feels like we stepped way past the point of no return but let’s see, I plan to try to keep the G82 door open for a bit longer
Care to describe your 992 test drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #113
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Care to describe your 992 test drive?
It was my wife, this will be her car. She loved it best car she ever driven she said. Felt like a real sports car sitting low to the ground “close to the road”, fast easy to whip around town, felt special, expensive etc. She is a very good/fast driver but no gearhead as you can tell
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #114
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I've honestly been thinking about getting a 992C2S vert when the manual comes out. I don't have much Porsche experience other than a Boxster and little test drives here and there, but for years I've been wanting a 911 forever so I'm thinking I'll do it after they fix the bugs with the current gen.

Either that or maybe I'll get a used 981 Boxster with the flat-6 and have another car for a daily.
My wife has a milestone b-day this year and she deserves something special. When we got our first kid we sold her Acura RSX type-S 6MT which she ran to 8000rpm before shifting whenever traffic allowed and put her in an SUV for 15 years ( the last seven in a Cayenne but still ). The new M4 has been the plan but the timing is starting to feel a bit anti climactic with availability almost a year after the big occasion.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #115
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
A GT car is fast, but more insulated from road noise, engine noise, road feedback, tends to be heavier, etc.

The Cayman/Boxster have taken up the sports car end of the spectrum (except for the GT cars) compared to the 911 for Porsche. Lighter weight, more focused, more feedback are just a few of things you notice driving the cars back to back. Porsche also artificially limits the performance of the 718 platform by not putting their top motors in them to ensure the new 911 remains the tip of the performance pyramid for them.

All of this is subjective obviously and performance is becoming less important since almost every cars has super car numbers now relative to 30 years ago. In 1989 a 911 Turbo did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds now a Toyota Camry does it in 5.3 seconds. Does a 4.0 vs a 3.5 0-60 really make a difference other than bragging rights? Personally I still want a 911 over a Cayman just because that was my dream growing up although I would probably enjoy the driving dynamics of the Cayman more. Again just personal bias and opinion.
GT aka. Gran Turismo. A car for long trips were you, the lord or Duke is behind the wheel. Obviously this has to be a two door since all 4 doors as your Rolls, Bentley etc. can only be enjoyed from the rear seat , driving one would make you a chauffeur not a driver. The GT car has to be comfortable and quite but fast and muscular to signal your vigor and skills. It also need to be exquisitely beautiful and stylish to match your female companion, your wardrobe and Mediterranean estate.

Examples are cars with big front engines preferably V12s as most Aston Martins and Ferrari Front engined cars.

Stiff and vulgar mid-engine cars need not to apply. Sports cars belong on the track during your young, irresponsible, single and wild days
Appreciate 1
pbar1380.50
      12-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #116
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I hope it's nice and expensive, then with some luck we can get rid of all the 'for XXX I'd buy a Porsche' comments from the forum

That would be pretty awesome!!!
If they can truly afford a nice porsche they wouldn't be here. So they'll still be here. Heck if I can afford a porsche I wouldn't be here believe that.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #117
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
If they can truly afford a nice porsche they wouldn't be here. So they'll still be here. Heck if I can afford a porsche I wouldn't be here believe that.
Not true. There is no 4-seater Porsche that I'd want to drive on a daily basis, or take around a track. (Perhaps Taycan will change that)

Money isn't everything. When you only have parking space for one car, other factors are more important. M cars used to have a unique value proposition. Now you're often paying for a label that says "I bought the most expensive model".
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      12-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #118
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Not true. There is no 4-seater Porsche that I'd want to drive on a daily basis, or take around a track. (Perhaps Taycan will change that)

Money isn't everything. When you only have parking space for one car, other factors are more important. M cars used to have a unique value proposition. Now you're often paying for a label that says "I bought the most expensive model".
I guess I'll agree to disagree with you. Say what you want to say or feel about money but money make things happen. Money make people's lip move a certain way.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #119
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Well stated.

As long as the M3/M4 is “appealing enough” Porsche is not an obvious step up when you have the coin.

The Panamera is huge and the Macan an SUV and none of them offer better driving dynamics. The 911 can only carry two and minimal luggage. It is also near twice as pricey and as with anything you buy there is a limit how much you spend to get the better product. Once you find what you like well enough you usually don’t pay twice, that’s just not good value. And owning one P-car already I can tell you it’s a frustrating experience every time you pay for anything from the initial negotiation to any spare parts and services. Everything is a rip-off vs. BMW and leave a bad taste. Wonderful cars but not an obvious choice over M cars.
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      12-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #120
solstice
Major General
Rep

The one thing in terms of ordering I like very much with Porsche is their extensive a la carte options. You can find and order everything you want and nothing you don’t. It doesn’t mean you get away cheap though.

My wife and I has just built a 992 C4 which we are seriously considering over the G82 due to better timing. We found just the exterior and interior colors she wants among the standard choices and then the few extras as separates.

GT silver over red/black leather interior.
Sports seats+
PDLS+
Bose sound system

Msrp $114,700

On a new model this lightly optioned we will likely get zero discount other than a symbolic sum as returning customers.

My F80 was one of the first four allocations at my dealer and I paid $66k including upgraded wheels, full leather, upgraded audio and the executive package and automatic rear sun shades. So yeah, it’s not apples to apples...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #121
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:

While they are small, technically all 911 except GT's are 4 seaters.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #122
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
While they are small, technically all 911 except GT's are 4 seaters.
I believe the technical term is 2+2 which practically is a 2 seater. The rear “seats” don’t have head restraints making them useless from a safety point of view.
Appreciate 1
Nj142046.50
      12-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #123
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
I believe the technical term is 2+2 which practically is a 2 seater. The rear “seats” don’t have head restraints making them useless from a safety point of view.
Since we mainly use the rear seats of the M4 for 2 cat carriers right now, I've been thinking that could actually be a workable option for me.

I've been dropping some hints to my wife since I have an imminent 'mid-life crisis' in 2020
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      12-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #124
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Exactly. The performance speaks volumes. But Have you all owned or driven the GTR? The more I drove this car the more I was in awe. It has the obvious acceleration, crazy performance, hysterical admiration from fellow drivers, etc but the GTR has so much more character than most any other car I've own or driven. Love the i8, GT3, M5 but ordering another GTR....
Driven, yes. Owned, no. I have no interest in owning a sports car that is not a manual.
I respect your preference. However, I will not be going back to a manual at this point. My first E46 M3 ZCP was manual, and the second one was SMG. The last manual car I owned was a Nismo Z. After experiencing proper Dual Clutch transmissions in the E92 I had and the two GTRs I've owned, manuals are just a antiquated at this point.

I think people forget why manuals USED to be so highly coveted in motor sports/racing... it's because they were the fastest option available for lap times/auto-cross, circuit, etc, compared to traditional auto/torque converter trans. Guess what? Those days are long gone and now Dual Clutch and ZF autos are the fastest options available for the aforementioned activities. Do you give up a bit of engagement/work/effort... sure. The gain, however, more than makes up for what you lose in engagement/work. You get to extract every ounce of power and performance from a vehicle now because you get a super fast shifting transmissions that yields the same results, every time.

There's only two cars I'm interested in owning where my only choice is manual: GT350-R or R34 GTR. Aside from those, give me a dual clutch or ZF every time.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 1
BBoyM367.00
      12-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #125
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaVauros View Post
I respect your preference. However, I will not be going back to a manual at this point. My first E46 M3 ZCP was manual, and the second one was SMG. The last manual car I owned was a Nismo Z. After experiencing proper Dual Clutch transmissions in the E92 I had and the two GTRs I've owned, manuals are just a antiquated at this point.

I think people forget why manuals USED to be so highly coveted in motor sports/racing... it's because they were the fastest option available for lap times/auto-cross, circuit, etc, compared to traditional auto/torque converter trans. Guess what? Those days are long gone and now Dual Clutch and ZF autos are the fastest options available for the aforementioned activities. Do you give up a bit of engagement/work/effort... sure. The gain, however, more than makes up for what you lose in engagement/work. You get to extract every ounce of power and performance from a vehicle now because you get a super fast shifting transmissions that yields the same results, every time.

There's only two cars I'm interested in owning where my only choice is manual: GT350-R or R34 GTR. Aside from those, give me a dual clutch or ZF every time.
I think this comment need to go into another thread or this is going to be an endless philosophical MT vs Auto thread...I’m lucky enough to be able to enjoy both so I’m not trying to shutdown one or the other side but this thread is mainly about what car people who will not get a G8X are eyeing not a transmission discussion.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24829.00
pbar1380.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #126
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaVauros View Post

I think this comment need to go into another thread or this is going to be an endless philosophical MT vs Auto thread...I'm lucky enough to be able to enjoy both so I'm not trying to shutdown one or the other side but this thread is mainly about what car people who will not get a G8X are eyeing not a transmission discussion.
You're right. I digressed a bit, lol. I'll only consider the G8X M if the grille is not hideous. Performance is one thing, but if I can't get past the front grille then I'll consider alternatives from Porsche or MB.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #127
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

By the time M3 comes out I will give a birth. Lol

Besides I don't like the long wait and huge grill

Getting M2C next week and X6M in few months
Sedan_Clan24829.00
M3 MT67.50
      01-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #128
M3 MT
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
By the time M3 comes out I will give a birth. Lol

Besides I don't like the long wait and huge grill

Getting M2C next week and X6M in few months
Wow...M2C plus X6M. I would love to own a Family M car.
Not enough $$
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      01-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #129
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have owned three M3's as daily drivers. A 2008, 2016 and a 2017 competition package.

I just purchased a 2020 M340i. Why? Because after taking one home for a weekend long test drive and putting close to 300 miles on the car, I can honestly say it is a better car than my 2017 M car in just about every way.

It is more comfortable, it sounds WAY better, it is smoother, it is FASTER, it handles as well or better, the steering gives more feedback and weights up nicely.... it is a VERY nice car.

You have to spec it properly, adaptive suspension, larger wheels/tires with summer performance NON runlet tires.

I can afford what I want.... but the end of year deals were just silly. I have a car optioned up to $64,XXX, 12K mile lease, no money down except up front costs, multiple security deposits (a must do in my opinion). Dealer gave approx 15% discount BEFORE BMW rebates which added another $4000 off. With a lease money factor of .00128, My monthly payment is $468.

You will not find a better daily sedan for anything close to that price.

That leaves me plenty of Money to pour into my air cooled Porsche, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #130
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I can afford what I want.... but the end of year deals were just silly. I have a car optioned up to $64,XXX, 12K mile lease, no money down except up front costs, multiple security deposits (a must do in my opinion). Dealer gave approx 15% discount BEFORE BMW rebates which added another $4000 off. With a lease money factor of .00128, My monthly payment is $468.

You will not find a better daily sedan for anything close to that price.

That leaves me plenty of Money to pour into my air cooled Porsche, lol.
That is a fantastic deal! Was it a dealer loaner or brand new out of the showroom car?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #131
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
I guess I'll agree to disagree with you. Say what you want to say or feel about money but money make things happen. Money make people's lip move a certain way.
Funny thing, but a lot of people with money actually value it and weigh a purchase’s value. Something that costs more but doesn’t offer equivalently more is a bad deal..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #132
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I know it's traditional for any up coming M3 to be slagged off to high heaven before anyone has seen it, driven it etc...but you guys are jumping the shark on this.

When the H80 M3 is announced I look forward to exactly the same bitching and moaning at the death of the much revered G80.....

When C & D release their instrumented test with a sub 3 sec 60 run and 100mph under 7 seconds, ya'll be jumpin in...
SYT_Shadow11421.00
JTO245246.50