Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #45
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post
Wow that’s fantastic. Thanks for taking the plunge and sharing the results with everyone. I think this controller has the possibility to be the new bimmer post forum valve controller of choice and replace the vsc2.

I’m really digging all the different modes you can choose from and the ease of installation. Definitely make a review post when you think you had enough time playing with all the modes.
The 50% open mode is pretty interesting. It is most of the time about 95% the same as full open. Hard to tell the difference really. But in some scenarios it seems to remove a bit of the drone that occurs especially in the mid-rpm range under load. Kind of liking it.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2575.50
      06-24-2023, 11:00 AM   #46
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Just picked this up too. Seems like the right fit and price.

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:29 AM   #47
DenexM4
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Breazy View Post
Wow that’s fantastic. Thanks for taking the plunge and sharing the results with everyone. I think this controller has the possibility to be the new bimmer post forum valve controller of choice and replace the vsc2.

I’m really digging all the different modes you can choose from and the ease of installation. Definitely make a review post when you think you had enough time playing with all the modes.
Surely not better than the AWRON valve controller? It configures to fully open or close the valves from the OEM exhaust button in the middle console. Through the software you can also remove the exhaust sounds played through the speakers as well as disable the auto stop/start feature. Seems like a no brainer
Appreciate 1
PipeM3200.50
      06-26-2023, 08:15 AM   #48
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenexM4 View Post
Surely not better than the AWRON valve controller? It configures to fully open or close the valves from the OEM exhaust button in the middle console. Through the software you can also remove the exhaust sounds played through the speakers as well as disable the auto stop/start feature. Seems like a no brainer
Awron is definitely in a different league, but the install is a pita and it's around double the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #49
PipeM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS 500, 2024 M3 comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenexM4 View Post
Hi, Question? you can do that BimmerCode right?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #50
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Just got it. initial impressions are really good, it does everything it claims to do perfectly:

4 modes of operation always available from the remote -
Always Open
Always Closed
OEM
50% open (really interested actually in trying this because sometimes my car with DP/MP is loud AF but i don't really want the valves closed all the way either)

Memory - remembers last mode on startup

has option to configure default startup mode from any of the 4 options instead of using memory.

has some kind of error reporting capability to the ECU which i'm not sure about yet.

The build quality seems excellent (made in germany) although obviously longevity remains to be seen as i've had it for 10 minutes at this point

Still need to try programming the homelink buttons but as there are 4 modes and i only have 2 available homelink slots, i'm not sure yet which configurations i want to put there.

overall at less than $300 shipped this seems like a great option.

Nice setup!
I was wondering if you ended up running the car in 50% open most of the time now with your setup? It feels like a good compromise of sound but without the obnoxious volume? How's the drone?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:53 AM   #51
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Division View Post
Nice setup!
I was wondering if you ended up running the car in 50% open most of the time now with your setup? It feels like a good compromise of sound but without the obnoxious volume? How's the drone?
I do actually use 50% open setting most of the time however it really does not cause much reduction in volume. I’m not a fluid dynamics engineer but I believe it’s simply that a 50% opening is still much less restrictive than the alternative which is going through the muffler system, and the majority of the exhaust flow follows the path of least resistance. What the 50% setting does do is take out a little of the drone that occurs with the valves open at partial throttle and low/mid rpm. So to summarize it’s a nice setting but don’t expect anywhere near a 50% volume reduction.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #52
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
I do actually use 50% open setting most of the time however it really does not cause much reduction in volume. I’m not a fluid dynamics engineer but I believe it’s simply that a 50% opening is still much less restrictive than the alternative which is going through the muffler system, and the majority of the exhaust flow follows the path of least resistance. What the 50% setting does do is take out a little of the drone that occurs with the valves open at partial throttle and low/mid rpm. So to summarize it’s a nice setting but don’t expect anywhere near a 50% volume reduction.
Rpm and engine horsepower definitely will come into play here. You are absolutely correct though. If 50% closure doesn't cause any restriction, then there is no reason for the flow to pass through the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #53
M Division
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes that makes perfect sense, good to know you have an option to at very least curtail some of the drone. And a few dbs in noise reduction makes a fiarly big difference to the outside world, how far noise travels etc, eg there's a big difference between 90db and 110db so even a small reduction at source is probably having a decent impact more broadly.

All the same, a good option and nice setup!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 06:17 AM   #54
M Division
Captain
Rep

Anyone here know what's happened to the SST website?

It seems it's no longer accessible, I'm wondering if there exhaust flap controller is still available...

https://www.sst-spezialsteuergeraete...ml?language=en
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 06:22 AM   #55
M Division
Captain
Rep

Also opinions on a set of 300cell catted downpipes and a single mid-pipe?

I'm after a moderate volume/db increase over stock (doesn't need to rattle windows) and minimal drone.

Deeper tone is a bonus. Not bothered about more pops and bangs either way.. but I know I will be getting more particularly with the 300cel cats..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #56
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

I'm after a moderate volume/db increase over stock (doesn't need to rattle windows) and minimal drone.

Deeper tone is a bonus. Not bothered about more pops and bangs either way.. but I know I will be getting more particularly with the 300cel cats..
if the check engine light is not an issue, get the MAD downpipes
If the CEL is a concern, get the active autowerke

MAD and Active both offer a single midpipe, either option will work as they sound and fit the same.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 03:32 AM   #57
M Division
Captain
Rep

I fit Mode front pipes today, no cel so far, sounds great!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 02:09 PM   #58
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:

Between 200 and 300 cell won't make a massive difference in sound however going with a resonated midpipe will surely help achieve your goal.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #59
M Division
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Between 200 and 300 cell won't make a massive difference in sound however going with a resonated midpipe will surely help achieve your goal.
After fitting the 300cell DPs I'd estimate 10-15% increase in volume (noticeable but not massive as you say)

BUT the DP did deliver a 40-50% increase in pops, bangs and crackles which sounds pretty good.

Mid-pipe well go on next
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #60
emthreepa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

I am going with ARM Motorsports catted downpipes, Big Daddies Garage Mini ats, Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid Pipe, and VCS Valve Controller with stock Axle Back/Rear Box.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #61
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

100% go with the mid pipe and honestly that’s all you really need. It gives it a nice deep burble and in efficient mode, it’s super quiet. Really wakes the exhaust up. And in my opinion, you don’t even need the valve controller. I have it and I think it’s too loud with the valves full open.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #62
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
100% go with the mid pipe and honestly that’s all you really need. It gives it a nice deep burble and in efficient mode, it’s super quiet. Really wakes the exhaust up. And in my opinion, you don’t even need the valve controller. I have it and I think it’s too loud with the valves full open.
Which mid? And res or non res?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #63
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoaddict View Post
Agreed! For most this will be the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #64
chris3g
Major
Rep

i do think you need a valve controller though. if you are running without having fully disabled ASD, a lot of what you are hearing in sport+ is fake. probably much more than you think.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:54 AM   #65
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
i do think you need a valve controller though. if you are running without having fully disabled ASD, a lot of what you are hearing in sport+ is fake. probably much more than you think.
The sound inside the car can certainly be deceiving

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:51 PM   #66
Autoaddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Sportwagon, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The sound inside the car can certainly be deceiving
I can’t imagine the level of noise in the car WITH ASD plus a mid pipe and valve controller. The ASD alone is loud and creates a drone. (Plus it’s just annoying) Removing ASD would be the very first thing I would do.
Appreciate 0