BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

11-21-2021, 03:39 AM   #23
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

His reviews are largely positive because he keeps reviewing BMW’s best cars.

Also, BMW generally makes great cars. I’m not aware of any “bad” BMWs that got an undeserved positive review from Joe Achilles.

Here’s an example of a less than glowing review, if you need to see negativity to establish impartiality.

Appreciate 1
manuelf347.50
      11-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #24
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Hagerty's been knocking it out of the park with their videos. Informative, entertaining, and makes you love being a car enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #25
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I wouldn't believe a word he says given he is basically a BMW mouthpiece
Most reviews are favorable. Are they all "BMW mouthpieces"?
Are there any unfavorable reviews at all? I couldn't find any, and I went looking for negative reviews specifically too.
He hated the X3M. Basically.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      11-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Most reviews are favorable. Are they all "BMW mouthpieces"?
Are there any unfavorable reviews at all? I couldn't find any, and I went looking for negative reviews specifically too.
I don't know of any negative reviews specifically, but I didn't want to state definitively that all were positive.
The negativity wasn't related to performance (glowing) but aimed at aesthetics (some harsh,some less so).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #27
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
I don't know of any negative reviews specifically, but I didn't want to state definitively that all were positive.
I remember he was not really impressed with the X3M at all: torque threshold and suspension not ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #28
W288SH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: 2016 X5; 2020 M340i /

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Does anyone know what those black plastic looking things are sticking out from the rear fenders?
2020 M340i - Sold
2021 M3 6MT
2023 X5 xDrive 40i
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #29
MineralM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Did you think this comment accomplished something?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      11-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #30
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post

To me he appeared to be 'selling' it more than anything else.
And that's being a sellout basically.
Ikester19 & evoi19

My point precisely.

I acknowledge the car manufacturer and sponsorship situation, but that equally applies to each and every other one of them too.

Some reviewers are entertaining, some are informative, some are boring, and some are pure rubbish; I acknowledge that everyone has their own niche when doing a review.

But not many of them, if any, try to *sell it* - this is like the media taking sides with different political agenda.

It's just not reporting, more like advertising.

Similarly, JA could be a little more subtle with the sales pitch, and level up a bit more with fun and factual stuff. Then things would not only be a lot more in tune with reality, I'll bet, he'd have a lot more likes and bundles more subscribers.

When you tell the truth, there's no need to sell the truth - that spells integrity to me

This is what I consider a great example of an entertaining and balanced review

So your comparing a high budget shoot with a crew to Joe out there with his mate and a camera. Camisa is a great reviewer but you are not comparing apples to apples.

You are off the mark regarding bias, he criticises BMW all the time for steering, fake engine noise, styling etc. just like plenty of other reviewers do. Consider he is also comparing a car he bought with his own money, it's not two press cars. If you really want to see reviewers who won't criticise anything with some 'humour' added in go watch the Straight Pipes. Joe is not even close to that.
Appreciate 3
      11-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #31
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
I'm not "big time" enough to get cars from manufacturers, so I borrow them from owners. But that allows me to be objective I suppose, even if it's my own car.

BMWs are great, but they screw up too.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/
stefan2349.50
      11-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #32
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by W288SH View Post
Does anyone know what those black plastic looking things are sticking out from the rear fenders?
All European cars have these. US cars do not. It has something to do with EU regulations regarding how wide a wheel can be outside the bodywork. M5 also have them.

Fully agree on the critics regarding Joe Achilles. This is not a serious reviewer but a fanboy....
Do not take his opinions too serious please. A lot of nonsense is coming from his mouth....
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #33
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
They're part of the wheel arch, if only a portion of the top rim: a bizarre design choice, if they solely exist to 'increase' the perception of width in the car's rear stance. Clearly, they must offer some extra protection too from stones being flicked up from those enormous back tires. (Frank70 mentions EU regs, but they can't apply to all wide-rear cars with bulging arches, unless it's a new stipulation, since I've not noticed anything comparable on recent Audis or Mercs--though I may not be looking hard enough!) Anyway, I never noticed them until Harry Metcalfe pointed them out, perplexed and rather unconvinced, in a walk-around as part of his own G80 review. Now I can't quite overlook them!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #34
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They're part of the wheel arch, if only a portion of the top rim: a bizarre design choice, if they solely exist to 'increase' the perception of width in the car's rear stance. Clearly, they must offer some extra protection too from stones being flicked up from those enormous back tires. (Frank70 mentions EU regs, but they can't apply to all wide-rear cars with bulging arches, unless it's a new stipulation, since I've not noticed anything comparable on recent Audis or Mercs--though I may not be looking hard enough!) Anyway, I never noticed them until Harry Metcalfe pointed them out, perplexed and rather unconvinced, in a walk-around as part of his own G80 review. Now I can't quite overlook them!
M2c's have them. They allegedly reduce tire noise pollution.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      11-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #35
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
M2c's have them. They allegedly reduce tire noise pollution.
Good grief: no wonder our exhaust notes here are suffering if they're already having to come up with interventions to mitigate (mere) tire noise!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #36
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Let me clarify regarding the plastic parts in the rear-wheel arches : i said all European cars have these but meant ofcourse all European G80 M3 have it. I did not mean that all European cars have it but only the M3 (and also some other models such as M5). It has something to do with the rear-wheels being too wide outside the body of the car which is not allowed in EU law.

US cars do not have the part because for US law it is apparantly not needed.
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      11-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #37
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

JA always refer himself as a BMW fanboy so that's no secret. Regardless everyone can use it's own judgment and at least hear the arguments he brings forward and see if that make sense or not... Not all influencer / reviewers take time to explain their arguments as well as he does even if he's not perfect, you can't blame him for trying to be objective at least. Even if he had a discount on his G80 (most likely), it's still his money for the most part.

He doesn't like all BMWs either... he never liked the F80/82 except the M3 CS, he hated the X3M and on the non advertorial 1 series review he didn't had a glowing opinion either... More recently he was just saying to avoid the 440i GC. I don't think he has lost all objjectivity to be honest and i'm sure some people have similar point of views while also being regular BMW customers... like most of this forum is most likely
Appreciate 5
02M3ForMe4257.00
TargaM22489.00
manuelf347.50
mathys198.00
      11-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #38
Usef_Afande
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I just find it interesting that the main positive point that all reviewers of the xDrive m3 make is that you can come out of corners fast.. I mean we know that about AWD cars, it's nothing new
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ663.00
stefan2349.50
      11-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #39
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralM View Post
Quote:
Did you think this comment accomplished something?
I wasn't looking for anyone's approval including yours my friend
3RDSECTOR486.50
      11-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #40
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
I'm not "big time" enough to get cars from manufacturers, so I borrow them from owners. But that allows me to be objective I suppose, even if it's my own car.

BMWs are great, but they screw up too.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2021/1...s-the-best-m3/
Nice work friend
      11-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #41
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usef_Afande View Post
I just find it interesting that the main positive point that all reviewers of the xDrive m3 make is that you can come out of corners fast.. I mean we know that about AWD cars, it's nothing new
Indeed. And the main takeaway of the recent Pistonhead review of the M4x is that you can basically hammer it all year round in a damp climate, like the one we in the UK annually enjoy. Clearly, it's self-evident that the xdrive will be more reassuring in inclement situations; but what if you're not concerned about hoofing the accelerator two thirds of the way through a corner. What's more, it's surely telling that JA (no criticism, just an observation) for the most part, had the traction control off (which you have to do anyway to enable the full RWD orientation in the xdrive model, right?) so as to achieve the level of extra engagement, slip degree, and alertness he preferred. Isn't he therefore disabling a lot of what the system supplies in order to make the handling come alive? If so, would you feel compelled to do that in the pure RWD car, I wonder?

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #42
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usef_Afande View Post
and "you totally can't feel the weight!" which is like the new "it feels naturally aspirated!"
      11-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #43
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Someone should drop an S 58 into an F 80. Beauty and beast.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #44
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Has anyone come up with an aftermarket grill that fixes the front of these yet?