BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-25-2021, 03:10 AM   #1
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

RWD fun - similar experience with xDrive?

I promised myself id wait for the awd for my next car... until i did a test drive if the rwd 3 times and bought one. The rwd is immense, only trouble right now is cant test drive the awd for comparison because man was the rwd a lot of fun.

Now a question im not sure of.

Will the awd xdrive system and rwd option selected be as much fun as the rwd (or even the sport setting...70/30 mix)

I dont want to do donuts and not really worried about racing just the feeling the car gave me was amazing on twisty roads etc.

If i dont get a build date by 5th may for june (and when xdrive should go on the configurator from what ive heard) i may spec x drive if anyones has driven for example the m5 with feedback.

May even ask for an m5 test drive to get a feel for the awd system (can imagine they are fairly similar).

Whats you opinion will the x-drive have a similar feel to the RWD when X-drive options are selected?

I know a few of us in this situation, one day I want the RWD and get it sooner, the next AWD and happy to wait (I am expecting Very late in the year delivery).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
It's hard to say because the M5 2WD doesn't exist. Anyway, you can set the 2WD mode, but you can't eliminate the additional front weight.
I'd say the difference is minimal and barely noticeable, though present.
The most annoying thing is that you can only set the 2WD mode with DSC off, which is a shame because the MDM works really well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:52 AM   #3
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Rwd with the option of varying levels of traction is going to be a lot superior to the awd with 2wd Dsc entirely off in terms of RWD fun. The reason being that unless you're a really high level driver, you're going to want some sort of nannies to save you in case shit goes out of hand when you're slipping around.

Anyone who bought the m5 with awd probably only turns it into 2wd for burnouts and donuts, it's not really driveable in just 2wd with tc off often unless you're really capable.

Small slides/slips through corners and even in a straight line in MDM makes rwd so much fun in the F series M cars, because traction fully off with all that torque can get scary at times. I'd probably get the rwd unless I really needed awd For weather conditions.

AWD slides don't feel the same, not as snappy.

But it's hard to say until the awd is out.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1511.50
      04-25-2021, 04:25 AM   #4
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Rwd with the option of varying levels of traction is going to be a lot superior to the awd with 2wd Dsc entirely off in terms of RWD fun. The reason being that unless you're a really high level driver, you're going to want some sort of nannies to save you in case shit goes out of hand when you're slipping around.

Anyone who bought the m5 with awd probably only turns it into 2wd for burnouts and donuts, it's not really driveable in just 2wd with tc off often unless you're really capable.

Small slides/slips through corners and even in a straight line in MDM makes rwd so much fun in the F series M cars, because traction fully off with all that torque can get scary at times. I'd probably get the rwd unless I really needed awd For weather conditions.

AWD slides don't feel the same, not as snappy.

But it's hard to say until the awd is out.

Brilliant answer thanks for that. Been so torn between the two!

I was smiling all through the test drives and the grip in the RWD was pretty insane, but the nannies were on and the drive was pretty much perfect. I am not a highly skilled driver.

Im in the UK so it rains a lot but even with AWD I wont drive hard in the rain.

Also the unknown of when we will receive the AWD (coud be Nov) and the not knowing what the car will feel like (will be epic either way) makes me want to stick with the RWD (hopefully get it July).

The once test models come out can soon jump in one and change to AWD if needed around LCI time.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkeygolbin View Post
I promised myself id wait for the awd for my next car... until i did a test drive if the rwd 3 times and bought one. The rwd is immense, only trouble right now is cant test drive the awd for comparison because man was the rwd a lot of fun.

Will the awd xdrive system and rwd option selected be as much fun as the rwd (or even the sport setting...70/30 mix)

I dont want to do donuts and not really worried about racing just the feeling the car gave me was amazing on twisty roads etc.

If i dont get a build date by 5th may for june (and when xdrive should go on the configurator from what ive heard) i may spec x drive if anyones has driven for example the m5 with feedback.

May even ask for an m5 test drive to get a feel for the awd system (can imagine they are fairly similar).

Whats you opinion will the x-drive have a similar feel to the RWD when X-drive options are selected?

I know a few of us in this situation, one day I want the RWD and get it sooner, the next AWD and happy to wait (I am expecting Very late in the year delivery).
Your best option is to try m340 in rear wheel drive and x drive. It a brilliant car and is closest to m3 dynamics.
I would say - if you don’t track - get awd
If you track - rwd
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:13 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:

Your best option is to try m340 in rear wheel drive and x drive. It a brilliant car and is closest to m3 dynamics.
I would say - if you don't track - get awd
If you track - rwd
Great suggestion. When I first got my M340i xDrive I pulled a throttle on oversteer u-turn and couldn't believe how easy it was. You don't slide as much as RWD but you can spin up the rear for sure. TC off or MDM is very useful to let the rear step out.

BMW M cars and M-performance cars that are xDrive feel very much RWD until the weight transfer catches and then you're on the gas and just shooting in the direction you're steering. There is some slip and you can absolutely step out the back end if you want. Just be prepared that it could grab traction quickly and that opposite lock you're in needs to return to center in a flash. I even get my big X3M sideways a little here and there but it doesn't like to do it for very long.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #7
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys :-)

I have an order in for RWD, and when AWD comes out want to change it over. I love the RWD but with the rain in the UK makes more sense ot get AWD..

I fell in love with the RWD, just hoping the xdrive feels the same to an extent. Being in the UK its wet a lot of the time and getting 9 months etc useable traction its a win...

The 0-60 times are a bonus but not really why id buy it.

Trasnfer, sounds like its pretty much what I would want form the xdrive, the RWD feeling I think is what I love.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys :-)

I have an order in for RWD, and when AWD comes out want to change it over. I love the RWD but with the rain in the UK makes more sense ot get AWD..

I fell in love with the RWD, just hoping the xdrive feels the same to an extent. Being in the UK its wet a lot of the time and getting 9 months etc useable traction its a win...

The 0-60 times are a bonus but not really why id buy it.

Trasnfer, sounds like its pretty much what I would want form the xdrive, the RWD feeling I think is what I love.
Yeah this is my story with wet roads living in Seattle area as well.

What's great (or not great?) with my experience is you can still oversteer quite a bit if you start turning off the nannies, even going into a spin if you take it too far! The only downside to me is the steering does have some corruption from front wheels being driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

I've driven the M5C, but I don't think the experience would be the same as what they'll offer with the AWD M3...and that's a good thing. The M5 didn't feel fast. It's a great car, the ride is comfortable, it's super fast and feels planted, but it felt too grown up.
I'm hoping the AWD M3 would solve the traction issues that F80 has. Hopefully a better version of the RWD. 100lbs is nothing when you're looking at a car that weights almost 4000lbs. You could lose that much weight if you put the soda down
Appreciate 0