BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #89
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Younger (34 now so not young!) DINKs like me who have more disposable income and want a fast sedan, and are looking at cars like the Audi, Alfa and AMG offerings, are now looking at the M3 as well, where as I would say the M3 was more for the purist who didn't mind a harsh ride as they tracked it, but it's a lot closer to an M5 now and it seems very intentional.
I do intend to track this in the future, so am glad it's kept a lot of that in its DNA, but I also want tech and comfort and my wife to be able to use it easily. I also love the new look, the Audi and Mercedes options are near impossible to tell apart on the road, and I can tell most cars apart easily; there is no issue with the M3 and people want that. I'm spending $90k on this, yeah I want it to be known it's an M3 and not an M340i with a body kit, or from even further away often any 3 series, which the F80 M3 suffers from (the M4 is a little easier to distinguish)
I get that was a large factor for people, the stealth/incognito appeal, but times have changed and people don't want subtle anymore. I couldn't care less about internet points (likes, upvotes etc) but for me I want an aggressive sedan, with comfort and tech and an option to enjoy on a track - nothing comes close to the G80!
I don't ever remember seeing your SN on the F8x forums so I just assume you never owned one? So I don't get where you are coming from, BMW provided a subtly aggressive, distinguishable and fully capable platform in the F8Xs. Time will tell if the G platform will deliver the same but with what we know so far they may have missed that mark. Also saying DINKs like you were looking at Audi, Alpha and AMG are now looking at M3s makes no sense either? These brands have always been competitors, the only difference is Audi and Merc did away with MTs and Alpha is a bust...again. But people who bought F8s for sure cross shopped all of those brands and then some. You then go on to say the M3 is harder to distinguish from a regular 3 series but an M4 is easier? Yet you can identify most cars on the road regardless? That statement along with your other ones leads me to believe you really don't have an informed opinion on any of this.

I will agree with you on one thing, you are the absolute targeted audience for this car. Someone who wants a 'look at me in my $90k car' and that's fine for you. But for the rest of us its just not what we expected BMW to deliver. Whether I move into one I don't know but it certainly won't be because I want a car that will let everyone know that I have made it in this life. Finally how do you know nothing comes close the G80? Because BMW and the paid youtuber shills told you so? You haven't driven one let alone sat in one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Actually, it is a suprise because bmw said they were separating the 3er and the 4er to be unique models, not merely a 2 door and 4 door model. They executed this strategy with the production lines and the 3er and 4er are different designs..But why OH why didnt they follow this for the M versions? That is the root issue.

They've created a frankenstein M3 that has no connection to the 3er and that makes no sense. Yes it made sense when they were all the same model just 2dr/4dr, but now that they created 2 new unique models, who made the rediculous decision for the M3 only to throw the nose of a completely different car on what is perhaps their most important halo model. Whoever made this call should be held to account.

Its unbelievable really, there is no M version of the 3er, just an M4 and frankenstein 4door version of the M4.

Need to go one rung lower get that old M-esque

The G80/82 M3/M4 are not for the 'oldies' who had the E36, E46...their kids are grown up by now, why would they need such a big car...no they downsize to an M2

If they somehow manage to fuck up the G87 M2 as well then bye bye
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Younger (34 now so not young!) DINKs like me who have more disposable income and want a fast sedan, and are looking at cars like the Audi, Alfa and AMG offerings, are now looking at the M3 as well, where as I would say the M3 was more for the purist who didn't mind a harsh ride as they tracked it, but it's a lot closer to an M5 now and it seems very intentional.
I do intend to track this in the future, so am glad it's kept a lot of that in its DNA, but I also want tech and comfort and my wife to be able to use it easily. I also love the new look, the Audi and Mercedes options are near impossible to tell apart on the road, and I can tell most cars apart easily; there is no issue with the M3 and people want that. I'm spending $90k on this, yeah I want it to be known it's an M3 and not an M340i with a body kit, or from even further away often any 3 series, which the F80 M3 suffers from (the M4 is a little easier to distinguish)
I get that was a large factor for people, the stealth/incognito appeal, but times have changed and people don't want subtle anymore. I couldn't care less about internet points (likes, upvotes etc) but for me I want an aggressive sedan, with comfort and tech and an option to enjoy on a track - nothing comes close to the G80!
I don't ever remember seeing your SN on the F8x forums so I just assume you never owned one? So I don't get where you are coming from, BMW provided a subtly aggressive, distinguishable and fully capable platform in the F8Xs. Time will tell if the G platform will deliver the same but with what we know so far they may have missed that mark. Also saying DINKs like you were looking at Audi, Alpha and AMG are now looking at M3s makes no sense either? These brands have always been competitors, the only difference is Audi and Merc did away with MTs and Alpha is a bust...again. But people who bought F8s for sure cross shopped all of those brands and then some. You then go on to say the M3 is harder to distinguish from a regular 3 series but an M4 is easier? Yet you can identify most cars on the road regardless? That statement along with your other ones leads me to believe you really don't have an informed opinion on any of this.

I will agree with you on one thing, you are the absolute targeted audience for this car. Someone who wants a 'look at me in my $90k car' and that's fine for you. But for the rest of us its just not what we expected BMW to deliver. Whether I move into one I don't know but it certainly won't be because I want a car that will let everyone know that I have made it in this life. Finally how do you know nothing comes close the G80? Because BMW and the paid youtuber shills told you so? You haven't driven one let alone sat in one.
Your last paragraph is spot on 👍