BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

M Drive Professional?

Anyone know the details on the M Drive Professional option?

In a Car and Driver article, they said "When the optional M Drive Professional system is specified, axle slip can be adjusted on a range of a full 10 stages."

On BMWUSA.com it says "Developed specifically for track driving, the all-new M Drive Professional helps the driver maintain consistent progress in pursuit of the ideal line and the perfect lap. The M Drift Analyzer records the duration, distance covered, and line and angle of a drift with a rating shown on the Control Display. The M Laptimer helps further expand your performance by providing a comprehensive performance overview shown on your instrument cluster or optional Head-up Display. As well as checking their current lap time, the driver can also keep a constant eye on how much quicker or slower they are than their fastest lap of the current session."

Car and Driver's description seems worth $900 and suggests fine-tuning traction control. BMW's description seems like a few overpriced apps.

BMW would seem like the more reliable source, but anyone know what Car and Driver was referring to?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

As far as I know you wrote everything you get with it.
10 time Traction Control and Drift Analyzer.
In my opinion...who the hell needs that. Also on the MT I can't choose this option anyway...don't know if it is only available on the Comp.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
As far as I know you wrote everything you get with it.
10 time Traction Control and Drift Analyzer.
In my opinion...who the hell needs that. Also on the MT I can't choose this option anyway...don't know if it is only available on the Comp.
The number 10 referred to the number of stages you could adjust axle slip. When I read the article, I was pretty excited about this option. Then read the description on BMWUSA and was disappointed.

Here's the article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...3-m4-revealed/
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Found this snippet on BMW site ... This seems like a carbon copy of AMG Track Pace functionalities. The 10 stage traction control also ripped straight out C63S and GT R lol

M Drive Professional.
Whether track day or spontaneous drift
session - M Drive Professionals is the
perfect companion for trips with that
extra portion of adrenaline. The M
Laptimer and the M Drift Analyser help
you to hunt for best times and the
perfect drift angle, while the M TRACK
Mode and the ten-step M Traction
Contro I allow for tailor-made drivability.
#M Drive Professional is available for
BMW M4 Competition Coupe and
BMW M4 Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
Found this snippet on BMW site ... This seems like a carbon copy of AMG Track Pace functionalities. The 10 stage traction control also ripped straight out C63S and GT R lol

M Drive Professional.
Whether track day or spontaneous drift
session - M Drive Professionals is the
perfect companion for trips with that
extra portion of adrenaline. The M
Laptimer and the M Drift Analyser help
you to hunt for best times and the
perfect drift angle, while the M TRACK
Mode and the ten-step M Traction
Contro I allow for tailor-made drivability.
#M Drive Professional is available for
BMW M4 Competition Coupe and
BMW M4 Coupe.
Interesting. I wonder if the USA won't get the "ten-step M Traction Control", or did BMWUSA just screw up the description? Previous generations had Euro-MDM with more slip and us in the USA had a different MDM. I wonder if this is the same concept? That would be disappointing. We'll probably have to wait until cars start to be delivered in the USA to know.

Anyone have an order in the USA with this option?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Interesting. I wonder if the USA won't get the "ten-step M Traction Control", or did BMWUSA just screw up the description? Previous generations had Euro-MDM with more slip and us in the USA had a different MDM. I wonder if this is the same concept? That would be disappointing. We'll probably have to wait until cars start to be delivered in the USA to know.

Anyone have an order in the USA with this option?
Excerpt below from the BMW USA press release. It seems that the 10-stage traction control system will be made available in the USA:

Quote:
DSC with M Dynamic Mode and ten-stage traction control.

The DSC functions in the new BMW M3 and M4 work in tandem with the integrated braking system. Along with the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Cornering Brake Control (CBC), whose M-specific set-up helps to maximize precision, the integrated braking system also assists the stability control function in reducing oversteer or understeer, A full suite of supporting system including Automatic Differential Brake (ADB-X), Brake Assist, Dry Braking and Start-Off Assistant functions bring additional benefits to both performance and more casual driving situations.

The newly designed control systems allow for more precise stabilizing adjustments to the engine’s output. The integrated wheel slip limitation function brings about noticeably more sensitive acceleration control on wet, snow-covered or icy surfaces or on roads with varied levels of traction. The slip control function has been relocated from the DSC control unit to the engine management system. It therefore acts on the engine’s output up to 10 times quicker than before. This proactively avoids power-limiting inputs in response to excessively high revs. The car can therefore accelerate with more torque control on rough surfaces, for example.

The driver can also activate M Dynamic Mode in the new BMW M3 and M4 by using a button on the center console. This mode allows a greater degree of wheel slip, enabling a very dynamic driving while still preserving the functions of DCS if needed.

Selecting the optional M Drive Professional brings the new M Traction Control function. Making its debut in the new BMW M3 and M4, this new traction control allows the driver to set the intervention thresholds for wheel slip. The iDrive menu for this system displays ten stages of defined permitted wheel slip. The new traction control option gives the driver the ability to select the ideal balance of racing-car performance and directional stability for the situation, the road conditions and their personal preferences. This allows them to approach the limits on the track by reducing the extent of control system inputs in stages.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Excerpt below from the BMW USA press release. It seems that the 10-stage traction control system will be made available in the USA:
Thanks!!! Terrible description on the build your own on bmwusa then. Happy to pay the $900 now
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
I don't see any reason to exclude this function for the US customers, I suppose it's only a mistake of Bmwusa.com.
Anyway I think it's pretty useless the M Drift Analyzer and not essential the M laptimer, but i find terrific the 10 stages traction control! Finally you can manage the traction control separately from the stability control, it's a very professional feature (Porsche and Ferrari also have this function) and it allows you to control your drift with more precision compared to a "full off" or a MDM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
I don't see any reason to exclude this function for the US customers, I suppose it's only a mistake of Bmwusa.com.
Anyway I think it's pretty useless the M Drift Analyzer and not essential the M laptimer, but i find terrific the 10 stages traction control! Finally you can manage the traction control separately from the stability control, it's a very professional feature (Porsche and Ferrari also have this function) and it allows you to control your drift with more precision compared to a "full off" or a MDM.
Yes, me too. I'm getting a G83, so have to wait until July anyway. Hopefully some US members will have this option and be able to confirm/deny if the 10-stage traction control is included.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:00 AM   #10
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Given that this appears to be exclusively software, it’ll be interesting to learn whether we’ll be able to enable this post-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Given that this appears to be exclusively software, it’ll be interesting to learn whether we’ll be able to enable this post-delivery.
I'm sure that consumer coding is not unknown to BMW, so I suspect that this code is handily hidden and difficult to enable.

I say that with confidence because a friend of mine had a G20 M340i with the performance track package upgrade thing that presumably provided a higher speed limiter. The dealer could never get it to work, he was stuck at 135 MPH. That's obviously a software setting, but if the dealer and the regional BMW tech couldn't get to it, then they do have the ability to really lock things down.

Yes, my friend is a track rat and that limit is easily reached on some race tracks and it bugged him to tears. He now has a G80.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #12
LivinLrge
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M4 Comp  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Given that this appears to be exclusively software, it'll be interesting to learn whether we'll be able to enable this post-delivery.
I was just searching the forums for this exact thing this morning to confirm if this was all software or not.