BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: Like or Dislike the design of the G8X M3, M4
Like 121 30.71%
Love 61 15.48%
Dislike 74 18.78%
Strongly Dislike 138 35.03%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

11-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #45
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
300 votes ��
Despite many being banned and not able to vote, the results are still quite telling. With 52%-48% being unfavourable about the looks. The extreme votes are even more telling with 35%-16% of Strongly-Dislike vs Love.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #46
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

The real tell is that 48% of forum members like it to one degree or another and 52% of forum members don’t like it to one. Degree or another. But how many of either group are, or were, actual potential G8x customers.

Bottom line... will BMW attract enough new buyers worldwide to offset those current BMW owners / legitimate potential buyers who have decided to not purchase a G8x. I guess we’ll find out a year later when sales numbers are released.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #47
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
I'm moving to Porsche because of everything on the G8x. I don't want to waste any money on that abomination.
As if Porsche owners actually debate:

M or Porsche....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:32 PM   #48
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post

M or Porsche....
They never will! Why would they want to move several steps down?
      11-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #49
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

M or Porsche....
I've actually been debating between the two for quite some time. The overall practicality, track performance and price of the M3/4 has kept me in the M camp so far. No longer the case with with the G8X though and I have a deposit down on a 992.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-04-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 05:36 AM   #50
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

M or Porsche....
I've actually been debating between the two for quite some time. The overall practicality, performance and price of the M3/4 has kept me in the M camp so far. No longer the case with with the G8X though and I have a deposit down on a 992.
I actually picked up a 991.2 a few months ago and it's just on another level. The decision wasn't front end related however I had the opportunity to jump and get into a well equipped one for what it looks like will
M3 money.

Good decision!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      11-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #51
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
No it doesn't. It's a forum poll only and all members are free to vote. If a poster conducts themself in a manner that gets them banned then they are not a member and do not have a vote. There could be plenty of other banned posters that if present may vote the other direction so it is what it is. Some of you that are hoping for a landslide vote against the styling simply need to accept that not everyone shares your opinion and some people actually like the styling.
Sounds like a smart argument at first glance, but a definite no ... who are you on the pedestal or anyone for the matter to judge and claim that banned members are not as worthy as you as bmw supporters. BMWBLOG is clearly pro BMW, but they have repeatedly published grille-negative articles.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/10/13/g...ank-among-m3s/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/10/27/g...4-live-photos/

Are you or any fanboy justified in kicking BMWBLOG out of the BMW circle? Their most recent article, albeit on the G22 ... but re big grilles

"Prior to testing the new 4 Series, all of my colleagues that had already tested it before me told me that the new grille is better looking in person than it is in photos. To be honest, that’s true for most things. In person, you can see how light reflects off of different shapes better, you can see the three-dimensional aspect of different shapes and just get a better overall sense of a design. So I had a feeling the grille would look better in person and it does. But it’s still not good looking.

I like the people at BMW, they’re great people and I always have lovely conversations with them. So I felt a bit bad expressing my harsh but honest opinion. But that’s the job. It’s my job to cover and review the 4 Series and I can’t, in all honestly, say that the new 4 Series grille looks good in any way, shape or form. It looks like a beaver that’s fallen into a tub of radioactive miracle grow. The most unfortunate aspect of the irradiated grille is that the rest of the car is actually quite pretty."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/11/04/b...ve-test-drive/

Last edited by bm323; 11-04-2020 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: G22 and not G20
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #52
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I have no idea why we keep arguing about the controversial design and how many support the new design vs. how many don't... Why do those of us who like this car feel like we have to defend BMW's design decision, whereas those who don't keep b*tching & complaining about it?

There are so many different brands & models out there and there's a car for everyone. Just take it easy and enjoy ICE cars while they exist!

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #53
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Sounds like a smart argument at first glance, but a definite no ... who are you on the pedestal or anyone for the matter to judge and claim that banned members are not as worthy as you as bmw supporters. BMWBLOG is clearly pro BMW, but they have repeatedly published grille-negative articles.

Are you or any fanboy justified in kicking BMWBLOG out of the BMW circle? Their most recent article, albeit on the G20 ... but re big grilles

"Prior to testing the new 4 Series, all of my colleagues that had already tested it before me told me that the new grille is better looking in person than it is in photos. To be honest, that’s true for most things. In person, you can see how light reflects off of different shapes better, you can see the three-dimensional aspect of different shapes and just get a better overall sense of a design. So I had a feeling the grille would look better in person and it does. But it’s still not good looking.

I like the people at BMW, they’re great people and I always have lovely conversations with them. So I felt a bit bad expressing my harsh but honest opinion. But that’s the job. It’s my job to cover and review the 4 Series and I can’t, in all honestly, say that the new 4 Series grille looks good in any way, shape or form. It looks like a beaver that’s fallen into a tub of radioactive miracle grow. The most unfortunate aspect of the irradiated grille is that the rest of the car is actually quite pretty."

I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing about as you have gone off on a silly tangent here. This is a forum poll open to forum members only and you are arguing that it's skewed because non-forum members can't vote? Your opinion on the styling is noted and like I said before just accept that people have their own opinions that may or may not align with yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #54
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing about as you have gone off on a silly tangent here. This is a forum poll open to forum members only and you are arguing that it's skewed because non-forum members can't vote? Your opinion on the styling is noted and like I said before just accept that people have their own opinions that may or may not align with yours.
Guess you are missing the point, that the poll is skewed. The poll is "Like or dislike G8X M3/M4". Forum members who have been here longer than you or I have not been allowed to vote in this forum vs strangers who visit bimmerpost for the fun of it and choose not to be forum members and therefore, not entitled to vote. The issue is not, I repeat not "just accept that people have their own opinions that may or may not align with yours".

Last edited by bm323; 11-04-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #55
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm moving to Porsche because of everything on the G8x. I don't want to waste any money on that abomination.

M or Porsche....
The choice of porsche is less about if you have the extra 10-20k its about if you have a life that supports the impracticality of it. They are for singles or no-kids or empty nester people - more similar to Z4 than M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #56
yk36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

Are you or any fanboy justified in kicking BMWBLOG out of the BMW circle? Their most recent article, albeit on the G20 ... but re big grilles

You're not making any sense. Banned members not being able to vote still skews it, no matter how much you're trying to justify it doesn't.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      11-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #57
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Dislike but I could put up with the front end.

However I couldn't live with it's 4000 lbs of lard.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #58
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M or Porsche....
The choice of porsche is less about if you have the extra 10-20k its about if you have a life that supports the impracticality of it. They are for singles or no-kids or empty nester people - more similar to Z4 than M3/M4.
My kids are learning that they need to be flexible to look cool..
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321104.50
stein_325i25051.00
      11-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #59
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk36 View Post
You're not making any sense. Banned members not being able to vote still skews it, no matter how much you're trying to justify it doesn't.
LOL then I supposed every poll at this forum is skewed by your logic.

Quote:
The issue is not, I repeat not "just accept that people have their own opinions that may or may not align with yours".
Yes it is or you wouldn't be putting in so much effort to try and prove that this poll is skewed. You are badly trying to make a case that your opinion is the one that resonates most with BMW fans.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #60
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yes it is or you wouldn't be putting in so much effort to try and prove that this poll is skewed. You are badly trying to make a case that your opinion is the one that resonates most with BMW fans.
Not really. There was massive censorship (not necessarily intentional) through bans of older members who vocally disliked the G8X. There's a whole thread in the F8X section about it. It is not something I recall happening in the past. But regardless, despite the censorship, the poll results are still not stellar regarding the new design...

Appreciate 2
      11-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #61
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I’ve been cooling off a bit towards the G82 the last weeks. I love the long overdue change of design language but some of the dimensions are starting to bother me. I’ve never been attracted to a poorly packaged car and the G82 photos, dimensions and reports from those who have seen the car is starting to concern me. The overall length and the rear overhang doesn’t look tight enough and frankly seems sloppy.

I really need to see this car IRL soon and even more important proper driver reviews need to start showing up to get an idea of how much all of the current bickering of detail without context actually matters. Is it a standout to drive or another sterile characterless car like the F8X?
Appreciate 1
dmk087315.00
      11-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #62
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not really. There was massive censorship (not necessarily intentional) through bans of older members who vocally disliked the G8X. There's a whole thread in the F8X section about it. It is not something I recall happening in the past. But regardless, despite the censorship, the poll results are still not stellar regarding the new design...
If every poster got banned for vocally disliking the G8x then a hell of a lot more posters would have been banned. Those that were banned were the ones that took it to an extreme, trolling every thread on the car with their frothing at the mouth disdain for the styling. That's not censorship, that's the moderators enforcing the rules.

It's a polarizing style and I'm totally fine with anyone that hates it. Just don't go into every single topic about the car spouting the same thing over and over about how ugly you think it is. It's really not hard to bite your tongue about the styling in a thread discussing say the engine or transmission as there's even a thread devoted to the grille where you can discuss the styling further if you are fixated on it.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3327.00
      11-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #63
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If every poster got banned for vocally disliking the G8x then a hell of a lot more posters would have been banned. Those that were banned were the ones that took it to an extreme, trolling every thread on the car with their frothing at the mouth disdain for the styling. That's not censorship, that's the moderators enforcing the rules.

It's a polarizing style and I'm totally fine with anyone that hates it. Just don't go into every single topic about the car spouting the same thing over and over about how ugly you think it is. It's really not hard to bite your tongue about the styling in a thread discussing say the engine or transmission as there's even a thread devoted to the grille where you can discuss the styling further if you are fixated on it.
I am not saying that the bans were not justified in some cases, but it still excludes a rather significant portion of the forum community that dislike the G8X design from the poll; which skews the poll results. That is the point.

Appreciate 2
      11-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #64
yk36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk36 View Post

Quote:
The issue is not, I repeat not "just accept that people have their own opinions that may or may not align with yours".
So what you're saying is since those banned members won't negatively impact the results it's not skewing the results, ok that makes sense. /sarcasm
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321104.50
stein_325i25051.00
      11-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #65
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Despite many being banned and not able to vote, the results are still quite telling. With 52%-48% being unfavourable about the looks. The extreme votes are even more telling with 35%-16% of Strongly-Dislike vs Love.
I was one of those who for some unknown reason was banned from voting.

Contrary to what one earlier "expert" said, I was not in this category : " Those that were banned were the ones that took it to an extreme, trolling every thread on the car with their frothing at the mouth disdain for the styling." But apparently it's ok to froth at the mouth in support for the styling.

For the record, I would have voted "strongly dislike."

But sadly, I was banned.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321104.50
stein_325i25051.00
      11-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #66
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M or Porsche....
:

Multiple car families
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50