BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #45
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Why are people getting mad that they did a collab I don't get it. If they can market more then great. If you don't like the kith version car then don't buy it and move on.
Appreciate 4
      10-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #46
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
I guess we would need to define who is the core BMW customer. If we think that the core is made up of enthusiasts, we are the ones who are short-sighted. The core BMW owner is not an enthusiast. Most M car and BMW owners don't go to a race track with their car or have an interest in racing. Most of the people buying BMW's Mercedes Ferrari's or Apple phones are buying into a lifestyle.
Every brand needs enthusiasts, by definition. And enthusiasts can be "lifestyle" enthusiasts. A brand without enthusiasts is a brand without intrinsic value. You may still have customers, but they will have zero reason to pay a premium and will never buy out of loyalty.

BMW is investing in its brand in an attempt to create new enthusiasts. And, for my part, I don't think they have forgotten the current enthusiasts that built the brand. The E46 brought me to the brand and the M2 is the new, and better, E46 (aside from the steering, LOL).
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #47
hittheapex
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

This happened with Porsche putting a Taycan in a Billie Eilish performance. Everyone lost their heads and got mad, saying they lost all respect for the brand.

Being 17 and having a 328i, I don't understand the gate behind the collab. Personally I didn't buy anything cause it's overpriced, but I don't get what's so bad with it. It's just another marketing tactic, and I feel like they still delivered a car that meets our expectations of an M car. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 4
      10-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #48
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I don't get this this. Why target them, this was never done or needed for other generations. We saw adults driving bimmers as kids or having ridden in them as kids. Or having auto magazines or saw races with them and knew when we grew up we will one day get one.

These youngsters don't care about cars like the generations before them did. So I doubt this strategy will help them in the future. Well maybe it will when they start building the electric appliances at which point they'll lose me. Perhaps that's the idea that those of us who buy these cars today won't patronize them when they go full electric appliances. At which point, will most likely appeal to this demographic then.
I'm a millennial (unfortunately) and one of my fellow millennials told me one night "dude, you're like the last millennial that even cares about cars I don't get it" and I couldn't help but agree. Obviously I have a few friends that are car enthusiasts too but that makes up probably 2% of my friends at best. We are a dying breed unfortunately as more and more kids don't care about driving dynamics let alone actually want to get their hands dirty and try to work on a car.

People think I'm some kind of damn space wizard because I can drive a manual transmission car

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
VetteGuy845.50
      10-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #49
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
The harsh truth is that kids don't want to drive a boomer brand. When I talk to my nieces, nephews and my friends' kids, none of them show any interest in driving. The only cars they want to talk about are Teslas.
+1. 20-year olds in silicon valley making $300k a year are all about model 3/ model s. elon is savior and ICE is the devil.
Appreciate 2
JunkStory160.00
clee1982796.00
      10-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

There are a lot of reasonable and well articulated responses here. Maturity prevails. Refreshing!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #51
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

I think with what's happening in the world (covid), having a personal car is becoming a trendy again.

I think BMW needs to up their EV game by adding a pickup truck and a halo car. And have a good range, 400+ miles. Also, having another season of short films could turn many people into future buyers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #52
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

I couldn't imagine being so outraged by co-branding with a company that hasn't committed any atrocities against humanity (that we're aware of) that I would absolutely abandon a brand. BMW has historically stepped out of their customers comfort zone and done "controversial" marketing with things like art cars or other art installments. BMW is investing in current and future customers just as they always have. BMW has never been shy about being an aspirational lifestyle brand by doing things like adding new vehicles to the cover of videogames, co-branding with Puma and sponsoring esports teams. They also keep the grumpy old men happy by maintaining a longtime sponsorship of the PGA, the Olympics and Louis Vuitton. Individual demographics change regularly and BMW is investing in that life cycle.

There's plenty of other reasons to go spend your money somewhere else but BMW doing some marketing with a company that sells over priced t shirts and shoes isn't one of them.
95 325is *sold*
93 nissan 240sx KA-T *sold*
Appreciate 5
      10-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #53
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Many have tried to target the youth and failed. In fact, this marketing trick resulted in some of the worst cars in existence, like Scion.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M34908.50
      10-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #54
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

None of this will matter when Elon releases a 500 mile range, full charge in 5 minutes, 500 hp, 0-60 in 3 sec for $30k monster. None of it. I am not a Tesla fanboy, but Tesla will surely get there. If they do it before the big legacy brands are ready, those brands are toast.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
None of this will matter when Elon releases a 500 mile range, full charge in 5 minutes, 500 hp, 0-60 in 3 sec for $30k monster. None of it. I am not a Tesla fanboy, but Tesla will surely get there. If they do it before the big legacy brands are ready, those brands are toast.
I still wouldn't buy one.
Appreciate 4
      10-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #56
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I think this will hinge on regulatory considerations (i.e. mandates to phase out fossil fuels within a certain time period). While I think the mass adoption of battery powered vehicles is inevitable, I think the demand for the intangibles (e.g. engine note etc) of gas powered vehicles will remain for some time. With that said, BMW will have to up their EV game because it seems they are behind in that race.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #57
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Seems unbelievably foolish to abandon your current customer base and brand image to focus on a different one that hasn't proved beneficial. There's an axiom in sales... The most likely place to find sales is from those who've bought from you before.

BMW sure is making it attractive to give some other company my business. ����
You make it sound like BMW is cheating on you! Did you really think you had an exclusive relationship? Is your personal image affected by BMW's?

How does them targeting other markets affect any of us? They make a lot and sell a lot of SAVs now, but still have some very exciting cars for others. And they are not the only manufacturer that does, lots of choices out there.

People getting upset because they made 150 KITH branded cars is by far the silliest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Be thankful if that's the only thing you have to be bummed out about in life! Many have some real serious issues to worry about.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #58
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad he is around to keep the competitive nature alive. The choices going forward are going to be very exciting from many manufactures!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #59
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
You make it sound like BMW is cheating on you! Did you really think you had an exclusive relationship? Is your personal image affected by BMW's?

How does them targeting other markets affect any of us? They make a lot and sell a lot of SAVs now, but still have some very exciting cars for others. And they are not the only manufacturer that does, lots of choices out there.

People getting upset because they made 150 KITH branded cars is by far the silliest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Be thankful if that's the only thing you have to be bummed out about in life! Many have some real serious issues to worry about.
100% agree. How many damn SAVs does BMW make? X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6 and the list goes on, let alone all the M versions of these vehicles they make, totally watering down the specialness of the M badge. And this doesn't dissuade anyone from buying an M3 or an M8.

BMW wants a few more of their cars to show up in some hip-hop or pop videos, and as a business, they'd be silly not to go after this growing market...because videos drive purchase decisions, just like thin women walking down catwalks wearing crazy outfits drives women's purchasing decisions (no matter how ugly and audacious the clothes look).

BMW's a business, and they're going after every slice of the market they can get, because their Stakeholders demand it (mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! - Capitalism at its finest). They can't afford to do purity tests simply to please the BMW traditionalists.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #60
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

My first thought when reading the title was, how can hoodie wearing teens afford BMW's. My next thought was parents.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #61
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Trying to build brand awareness and hopefully loyalty down the line, a consistent stream of revenue. Starting early is wise. They make it sound like rocket science, it really isn't.

That said, wonder what the research said and why Kith was the final call.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      10-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #62
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
This. It's exactly what happened to Harley Davidson and to some degree, Cadillac, but they have rounded the corner with the Escalade. Blackberry is another prime example when you don't "evolve"...

I can see what BMW is doing and it makes sense. You don't have to like it but know it's a smart move on their part. We, are all growing older, are older, or just don't care about the same things. We tend to look at things from OUR perspective - as car enthusiasts. We are but a small sliver in their car sales. Move the needle we no longer do anymore.

KITH is a very well known sought after designer brand. Might not be your cup of tea but again, if you thought BMW is marketing to you, then you are sorely mistaken. Even their collabs make money. Kith x Jordan sneakers go for thousands of dollars. Hell, the BMW / Kith license plate frame (looks just like the usual BMW license plate frame but says "KITH" instead of "BMW" goes for $185 and no it's not carbon fiber.

Porsche is doing the same thing, as are other brands and I'm not just talking about automotive industry. This happens ever so often, slowly and methodically. Y'all just don't remember things changing way back when, probably because it's been awhile and it happens gradually. You are becoming your parents / grandparents. Remembering growing up hearing some family member saying - "the music/tv/athletes/et all in your generation is crap..." If you have found yourself saying something similar, congratulations, you are no longer the sought after demographic, lol... Gotta lock in the generation that is just learning to drive, because they're going to be around a lot longer than we are...
If BMW is not marketing to me, they are mistaken. I may not be a kid but I own three of them and I have the cash to buy them NOW, not just twenty years from now. As others have said, you need to be able to do both and I think BMW is trying.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #63
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I get you gotta move forward and I love aggression an aggressive design but not ugly design. "Hoodie wearing Teenagers" cannot afford these ever increasing ridiculously expensive vehicles unless their mommy and daddy are buying/leasing it for them.

Regarding the design partnership, I'm down with it, it's not horrendous I've seen way worse, at least they got the exterior paint colors right. But I would've done a much better sleeker and classier job. BMW M should've contacted me. I've given them enough free advice over the years that they have profited from!

Truthfully BMW & BMW M should be worrying about fixing the whole front bumper and grill!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #64
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
This. It's exactly what happened to Harley Davidson and to some degree, Cadillac, but they have rounded the corner with the Escalade. Blackberry is another prime example when you don't "evolve"...

I can see what BMW is doing and it makes sense. You don't have to like it but know it's a smart move on their part. We, are all growing older, are older, or just don't care about the same things. We tend to look at things from OUR perspective - as car enthusiasts. We are but a small sliver in their car sales. Move the needle we no longer do anymore.

KITH is a very well known sought after designer brand. Might not be your cup of tea but again, if you thought BMW is marketing to you, then you are sorely mistaken. Even their collabs make money. Kith x Jordan sneakers go for thousands of dollars. Hell, the BMW / Kith license plate frame (looks just like the usual BMW license plate frame but says "KITH" instead of "BMW" goes for $185 and no it's not carbon fiber.

Porsche is doing the same thing, as are other brands and I'm not just talking about automotive industry. This happens ever so often, slowly and methodically. Y'all just don't remember things changing way back when, probably because it's been awhile and it happens gradually. You are becoming your parents / grandparents. Remembering growing up hearing some family member saying - "the music/tv/athletes/et all in your generation is crap..." If you have found yourself saying something similar, congratulations, you are no longer the sought after demographic, lol... Gotta lock in the generation that is just learning to drive, because they're going to be around a lot longer than we are...
If BMW is not marketing to me, they are mistaken. I may not be a kid but I own three of them and I have the cash to buy them NOW, not just twenty years from now. As others have said, you need to be able to do both and I think BMW is trying.
Of course they are marketing to both / all. Still have commercials of the nice suburban Caucasian family with the BMW's, don't they? It's not like they're making KITH x BMW for martha Stewart's crowd.

A lot of people seem to take this personal, like BMW / Porsche et all woke up and said - "fuck Scoale... we're only going after the preteens and those that can't afford it yet... You already answered why they're marketing to all... You said - "I have three bmw's and I can afford it now not 20 years from now..." Exactly... 20 years from now, THEY will be the majority market. They need to entice them from 20 years of age and onwards. They are the future / about to be present market. Chances are, some of us won't be around in 20 years, lol...

Cadillac. It's all I have to say. They are working feverishly to avoid that, as are most brands... This is 100% business and not personal. Some of y'all act like BMW just cheated on you... Think we got bigger concerns in the world currently besides who a vehicle manufacturing is catering their marketing too...
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #65
whitepony22
Rep
Drives: ‘16 340i, ‘05 STi, ‘91 S13

I'm not sure why anyone would really be upset by this if it allows BMW to still make the cars we want. Quite frankly, I could care less how many obnoxious co-branded concepts, ads, or suvs they made as long as they made profits to keep also making enthusiast driven cars.

And that's the only thing I hate about where BMW (and well all car brands really at this point) are headed. I get it, it's a business, manuals no longer sell, profits! etc etc etc. So sell more mass consumer garbage like a fwd 2 series, make a pickup truck, a van, whatever they need to do. But the whole we're "lucky" to have manual options for the next M3/M4 and I'd assume M2 and that's it sucks for a brand with such heritage and the "ultimate driving machine" as their slogan. I truly think they're missing a market that could make money especially in the next say 10 years when no one is really making a competent manual car that isn't a base model piece of junk with 30hp and roll up windows. I'd gladly pay extra at this point to get a new M340i with a manual, but it's not an option. I've always wanted a BMW growing up, but now that my 340i was totaled I don't know quite know where to go option wise for a car and that's sad. Because any M car isn't great to be beat to death as a daily driver with real annual mileage and the 3 series have always been some of my favorite cars for that reason. Practical yet fun. Maybe they'll follow Aston Martin in years to come when no manuals are really left, but for today I wish I could just roll back the clock 10 years not because of their branding, but just their overall offering.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #66
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Trying to build brand awareness and hopefully loyalty down the line, a consistent stream of revenue. Starting early is wise. They make it sound like rocket science, it really isn't.

That said, wonder what the research said and why Kith was the final call.
I wonder if he approached BMW to fix up the older M3 and through the restoration process a collaboration occurred, or, if the restoration was all part of the collaboration from the start.

The new KITH M4 is not for me but I am intrigued about the collaboration etc.

From a marketing standpoint both brands appear to getting a lot coverage from it all.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 10-28-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0