BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

09-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
yuKon22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

We need some positivity - here’s mine

Nice to see some positive comments on the G8X.

I like change and evolution, fresh design included, and whilst I don't necessarily love all aspects, and can understand why many on here feel this is targeting an audience other than them, I was confident the new Ms would be an amazing overall package, and I think they are. I was excited and pretty stocked as I trawled the content last night.

I can live with the front, I can live with the rear diffuser, and hopefully swap them out with some killer aftermarket bolts ons. Sure, I won't be ricing up with the decals, but those 21 inch M Performance wheels in gold are a thing of rare beauty! The carbon package is great as well, but should that be standard!

Bring on the AWD next year, that thing is going to move, and allow for a breadth of capability I'm pretty sure will get my money. I'll take my AWD G80 Comp in green, with the gold wheels and carbon thanks. Might even sneak in the seats and Yas interior, sans the yellow flash please BMW?🔥🔥🔥
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      09-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuKon22 View Post
Nice to see some positive comments on the G8X.

I like change and evolution, fresh design included, and whilst I don't necessarily love all aspects, and can understand why many on here feel this is targeting an audience other than them, I was confident the new Ms would be an amazing overall package, and I think they are. I was excited and pretty stocked as I trawled the content last night.

I can live with the front, I can live with the rear diffuser, and hopefully swap them out with some killer aftermarket bolts ons. Sure, I won't be ricing up with the decals, but those 21 inch M Performance wheels in gold are a thing of rare beauty! The carbon package is great as well, but should that be standard!

Bring on the AWD next year, that thing is going to move, and allow for a breadth of capability I'm pretty sure will get my money. I'll take my AWD G80 Comp in green, with the gold wheels and carbon thanks. Might even sneak in the seats and Yas interior, sans the yellow flash please BMW?🔥🔥🔥
Imagine spending 100k and “having to live with it”. Crazy how bmw is brainwashing people with their brand kinda like Apple.

Cars should evoke immediate emotion on first glance- anything else is making compromises and convincing yourself
Appreciate 15
      09-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Imagine spending 100k and “having to live with it”. Crazy how bmw is brainwashing people with their brand kinda like Apple.

Cars should evoke immediate emotion on first glance- anything else is making compromises and convincing yourself
My sentiments exactly. When I first saw the f80 it was emotional, exciting. Couldn't get enough pix of it.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post
My sentiments exactly. When I first saw the f80 it was emotional, exciting. Couldn't get enough pix of it.
same here. this thing - no matter how long i look at it, from whatever angle just makes me want to hurl.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 1
Mikster56.50
      09-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
same here. this thing - no matter how long i look at it, from whatever angle just makes me want to hurl.
Agreed when the f80 came out I was already looking to start an order and get out of my E90. Seeing this thing does not have me rushing to do the same. I keep on thinking it will grow on me but if we going to spend close to 100k it should be love at first sight not this BS.
Appreciate 5
Mikster56.50
RowanBuds1707.00
SCS55291.00
seis-speed2426.00
      09-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:

That's a bit harsh. Apple stuff almost always looks good without unnecessary trinkets
Appreciate 4
///M TOWN13142.00
dime.m365.50
Swappy531.50
khailuan110.50
      09-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #7
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

If it’s not your cup of tea that’s ok, but nobody is getting brainwashed here. Some of us like it without convincing or compromise, like for real
chenry2346.00
Jimjamz4538.00
EthanEJC196.50
Dinh335711.00
BMWRL596.00
babaikram511.50
      09-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
If it’s not your cup of tea that’s ok, but nobody is getting brainwashed here. Some of us like it without convincing or compromise, like for real
+1
If ppl don't like this gen then they're free to move to another brand. Maybe they'll prefer MB's upcoming C63 4 pot lol..
Appreciate 5
Swappy531.50
chenry2346.00
JDUNITNOW3453.00
BMWRL596.00
JCZ51482.50
      09-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #9
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Wow..

How anyone with a love and knowledge of BMWs say they "LOVE IT" or "THEY'LL GROW INTO IT" is beyond me.

A bunch of posers looking for their prestige item. Just to show off.
All those people saying how much the new car stands out, you are all missing the point of the M cars.

You are all a bunch of instagram POSERS. Fight me. Money can't buy taste. Or I guess credit haha.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 3
Igor_M52129.00
GRUESOM31092.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      09-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Wow..

How anyone with a love and knowledge of BMWs say they "LOVE IT" or "THEY'LL GROW INTO IT" is beyond me.

All those people saying how much the new car stands out, you are all missing the point of the M cars.

You are all a bunch of instagram POSERS. Fight me. Money can't buy taste. Or I guess credit haha.
Yea lots of people will buy this car just for Instagram followers, no doubt
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Wow..

ou are all a bunch of instagram POSERS. Fight me. Money can't buy taste. Or I guess credit haha.
The irony in posts like this is as thick as it gets.

It's one of the very last high performance sport sedans with a manual transmission. Or it's the first M3 with AWD for those who've been waiting for that.

Yes folks, it's a car. You get in, you sit behind the wheel, and you drive it. You don't hover above the road on a precious magic carpet and watch the front end as it rounds the bend, reveling at how fetching you look with your perfectly proportioned grills.

The folks who have a positive outlook on this car aren't posers. They are enthusiasts who want to drive an exciting vehicle. Remember that? Driving? Or you can get all wrapped up in a single objectionable styling element, forget what being a car enthusiast is, and spend your time fist bumping it with your BFF's who also cannot believe that Becky wore that color of green today.

How about you go back to not playing the poser card out of turn, and the people who just want to talk about this performance machine go back to discussing that without being persecuted for it? Can we do that?
Appreciate 5
codestar180.50
yousefnjr6115.00
Jcali861479.00
BMWRL596.00
seis-speed2426.00
      09-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

It's one of the very last high performance sport sedans with a manual transmission. Or it's the first M3 with AWD for those who've been waiting for that.

Yes folks, it's a car. You get in, you sit behind the wheel, and you drive it. You don't hover above the road on a precious magic carpet and watch the front end as it rounds the bend, reveling at how fetching you look with your perfectly proportioned grills.

The folks who have a positive outlook on this car aren't posers. They are enthusiasts who want to drive an exciting vehicle. Remember that? Driving? Or you can get all wrapped up in a single objectionable styling element, forget what being a car enthusiast is, and spend your time fist bumping it with your BFF's who also cannot believe that Becky wore that color of green today.

How about you go back to not playing the poser card out of turn, and the people who just want to talk about this performance machine go back to discussing that without being persecuted for it? Can we do that?
Well put. I drove my fair share of shitbox 15-20yr old honda's throughout highschool and university, and while not much to look at, I relished the chance to get out and DRIVE. They weren't fast, they had rust, they were pretty much the polar opposite of luxury, but putting on some tunes and finding some nice mountain roads are what made me love cars today.

These M cars are fast, don't have rust, are luxury, and will play tunes and tear up a mountain road orders of magnitude better than the cars that made me love driving. Design quirks aside, I'm looking forward to picking up probably the last 6MT I'll ever own (maybe a 7MT after that if they still exist from another brand )

The only thing I'm hoping for is that BMW will give us a treat and give the 6MT spec a torque bump in a couple years. Or a true AWD 6MT to replace my f32 xdrive 6MT now
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6115.00
      09-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

This is exactly right for me, I hope the car looks good in person because I really want to buy or lease one and I'd prefer being able to enjoy the way it looks but that's not the most important thing to me. I've had a few cars that I thought were ugly but I liked the way they drove my 2007 E90 base model on tiny 16" is an example of an ugly car from every angle but I had it for 55,000 miles and liked it.

Aside from the front that looks ugly in photos and less ugly in videos, the sides, rear, and interior of the G80 look great to me and the fact that I can get a manual RWD or M xDrive (with auto, meh) car with carbon buckets, the S58 engine that's powering lightly modified X3Ms to Bugatti Veyron rivaling 1/4 mile times, M3 level handling, etc. is still pretty exciting to me.

Some of us don't buy an M3 so other people think we're cool, believe it or not.
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6115.00
      09-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #14
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

AWD, 4k+ lbs and enthusiast driving M cars?? Lol....

Lets get real, if you want pure driving experience you dont need this pig with turbos...

People complain cause we cant get another E46M or E9X M with a proper high revving powerplant. Its 2020 and Ford has it nailed with their GT350/R so before anyone jumps on and says it cant be done, it can. Everyone that liked what the M brand used to be now is basically is getting shafted because we have to 100k on a car that need another 20k in mods to get it what the majority thinks looks good.

For reference, tell me the G8x will look timeless in 20 years.
A6bullet336.00
      09-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post

Lets get real, if you want pure driving experience you dont need this pig with turbos...
Your'e trolling. None of the other German counterparts are any any better in this class. And sure, let's ignore the fact that there have been 4000lb+ M5s, E63s, and RS6/7s for generations. And that's not even getting into all of the the M, AMG, and Audi Sport RS SUVs.

So your beef is nothing new and it certainly isn't limited to just BMW - it's the entire high performance luxury vehicle market. If you don't believe anyone driving these vehicles can be an enthusiast, then there's really nothing for you to see or discuss here other than to disparage or admonish others and carry on in a childlike manner. Instead, you should absolutely go buy the Mustang and be happy you found your people. Just be careful leaving C&C
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
Puuhapete145.00
      09-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post

People complain cause we cant get another E46M or E9X M with a proper high revving powerplant. Its 2020 and Ford has it nailed with their GT350/R so before anyone jumps on and says it cant be done, it can. Everyone that liked what the M brand used to be now is basically is getting shafted because we have to 100k on a car that need another 20k in mods to get it what the majority thinks looks good.

For reference, tell me the G8x will look timeless in 20 years.
Hmmm... This is timeless...

Come back in 20 years to this thread and ask if the new G8X is timeless...
Attached Images

09-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
Spectremotorsports
Consultant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC, '23 X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Is it really THAT insane of a concept that people spending $70k+ dollars on something might want it to drive/handle well AND look good?

It's far more than a single objectionable styling element. Obviously the grille is drawing focus because it's the most garish. But you also have the other aero elements that are reminiscent of pep-boys stick on parts, the fender flares on the rear that look like a JDM body kit. And even more noticeably for me... the rear door crease on the M3 that looks like someone attempted to crowbar the door open.

I get that style is subjective and I've got no issue with people who actually like the new M3/4, but I do find it incredibly bizarre that people cannot understand the disappointment in a car that mechanically performs well(presumably, as we've not driven it) but looks like a frankenstein's monster out of a Need for Speed game.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremotorsports View Post
Is it really THAT insane of a concept that people spending $70k+ dollars on something might want it to drive/handle well AND look good?
Nope. That's why I didn't say that.

What I commented on was tagging people who just want a performance car as "posers" because they don't care about the grill which as you are well aware has nothing to do with performance. Is *that* behavior insane? Maybe not, but it definitely is blatantly hypocritical - enough so that it deserves being called out. Every time.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #19
Spectremotorsports
Consultant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC, '23 X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Nope. That's why I didn't say that.

What I commented on was tagging people who just want a performance car as "posers" because they don't care about the grill which as you are well aware has nothing to do with performance. Is *that* behavior insane? Maybe not, but it definitely is blatantly hypocritical - enough so that it deserves being called out. Every time.

Cheers.
Fair enough, I suppose I misunderstood your sentiment then.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread