BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
Jalopnik Op-Ed on G8x Design

enjoy the read..

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-is-determin...elf-1845156323
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

About sums it up.
Appreciate 1
oduli81337.00
      09-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I mean they're not wrong...
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

The car does not strike a love affair with design. It’s just a bunch of shit stuck on to a grill followed by some after thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

And I quote....."Sorry, I’m grumpy today. I just ran out of coffee, so I had to microwave a cup that’s been sitting on my desk all morning. But I mean, come on. What the actual fuck is this shit:"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Well, considering the mods on the G8x end are banning people everywhere for criticizing the car, I hope the mods realize that banning them from criticizing does not make it any less wrong.
      09-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'm happy and excited there's a new M car out there.
Appreciate 3
chenry2357.50
Avaley731.00
M2Crew220.50
      09-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm happy and excited there's a new M car out there.
I don’t think anyone was not excited to see the next generation of M cars, but once the leaks started to happen, most people were just shocked at the design. Especially for us die hard M enthusiasts.

When I first saw it, i knew it would be polarizing and I’m happy there are true M enthusiasts like you that like it. I’m on the opposite camp but hey, progress is progress.

I’m curious if you’re going to get one as I know you track your M cars. I wonder how this would fair compared to the older Ms.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      09-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I don’t think anyone was not excited to see the next generation of M cars, but once the leaks started to happen, most people were just shocked at the design. Especially for us die hard M enthusiasts.

When I first saw it, i knew it would be polarizing and I’m happy there are true M enthusiasts like you that like it. I’m on the opposite camp but hey, progress is progress.

I’m curious if you’re going to get one as I know you track your M cars. I wonder how this would fair compared to the older Ms.
I am also shocked by the design, but M has been pragmatic in the past, offering all kinds of strange things. From a 4 banger to a couple inline 6s, then a V8, then a turbo 6.

I find it more heretical that they are offering AWD. Thank God it's a separate model, but still, AWD fanboys usually went to Audi and that was a wonderful thing.

About tracking: I'm only going to track M cars as long as I live. I have glacial levels of interest in tracking anything else. As a PCA instructor I try lots of cars and nothing tickles my fancy like M cars.
The G80 weight is a big problem. The S58 can make stupid power but with so much weight it will be waging war on brakes and tires.
-Tires: if we can fit a 11.5" square setup under the fenders then the tire thing works itself out
-Brakes: this is purely a matter of cost. Going through one 25 or 28mm pad in one day is extremely expensive, but I've done it before and I'll do it again.

I don't know what the next step is. Currently with the E90 stroker and the F80 CS I have a good combo, but when it's time for more or one of them dies, do I get a G80 and continue the road warrior path or buy a used M4 GT4 and take the battle straight to the 991 Cup cars? But then where's the fun in that, I'm already giving them good scares with a full weight street driven M3 and street legal tires. With swaybars installed backwards.

The F8X generation has relatively low weight and with a stage 1 tune is more than almost anyone can handle power-wise despite what they make think, so is there really a point in getting a G80 and taking it to 600whp on the track?

Weight is always a factor, but it's not as big as people think. Lots of GT4s that weigh 3000lb think they should be faster than the 3640lb F80 CS and unfortunately for them, they are not. People are quick to dismiss these events because 'the other people aren't racing' or 'they are just bad drivers' but it has been many years and many hundreds of track days.
The last time I was laughing that a GT4 driver was literally taking off his helmet and sitting down whenever I'd see him walking to his car and then start putting my helmet on, my 991 GT3 RS buddy that has more mods in his car than my 401k got really upset. I wasn't laughing at his car so I don't know why he took it personally, but anyway. Later that weekend I let him drive the M3. He did a few laps, came in and said 'You were right. The GT4 is not even close'. Coming from a Porsche fanboy. It was quite entertaining.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 09-23-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
clutchdj1877.00
Kilabyte3948.00
Avaley731.00
      09-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #10
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Please bro.... please just listen it's got canards, side strakes, it's what a m car should be. The G8x is coming for p cars bro, bmw knew what they were doing.

* Heard in high school gyms everywhere 🤣😂🤣
*that are allowing in person classes
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:43 PM   #11
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I am also shocked by the design, but M has been pragmatic in the past, offering all kinds of strange things. From a 4 banger to a couple inline 6s, then a V8, then a turbo 6.

I find it more heretical that they are offering AWD. Thank God it's a separate model, but still, AWD fanboys usually went to Audi and that was a wonderful thing.

About tracking: I'm only going to track M cars as long as I live. I have glacial levels of interest in tracking anything else. As a PCA instructor I try lots of cars and nothing tickles my fancy like M cars.
The G80 weight is a big problem. The S58 can make stupid power but with so much weight it will be waging war on brakes and tires.
-Tires: if we can fit a 11.5" square setup under the fenders then the tire thing works itself out
-Brakes: this is purely a matter of cost. Going through one 25 or 28mm pad in one day is extremely expensive, but I've done it before and I'll do it again.

I don't know what the next step is. Currently with the E90 stroker and the F80 CS I have a good combo, but when it's time for more or one of them dies, do I get a G80 and continue the road warrior path or buy a used M4 GT4 and take the battle straight to the 991 Cup cars? But then where's the fun in that, I'm already giving them good scares with a full weight street driven M3 and street legal tires. With swaybars installed backwards.

The F8X generation has relatively low weight and with a stage 1 tune is more than almost anyone can handle power-wise despite what they make think, so is there really a point in getting a G80 and taking it to 600whp on the track?

Weight is always a factor, but it's not as big as people think. Lots of GT4s that weigh 3000lb think they should be faster than the 3640lb F80 CS and unfortunately for them, they are not. People are quick to dismiss these events because 'the other people aren't racing' or 'they are just bad drivers' but it has been many years and many hundreds of track days.
The last time I was laughing that a GT4 driver was literally taking off his helmet and sitting down whenever I'd see him walking to his car and then start putting my helmet on, my 991 GT3 RS buddy that has more mods in his car than my 401k got really upset. I wasn't laughing at his car so I don't know why he took it personally, but anyway. Later that weekend I let him drive the M3. He did a few laps, came in and said 'You were right. The GT4 is not even close'. Coming from a Porsche fanboy. It was quite entertaining.
Very well said and I appreciate the feedback!

I’ll be honest though, seeing Kubica mob the M4 (with only some light mods) on the NBR made me appreciate the F8x chassis that much more! (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759769)

That video took a bit of the sting out of watching our expensive F8x cars be relegated as an “older” model. Forza F8x gen!

But I digress. I just saw the Top Gear version of the G8x review and they said that the British will only be getting the automatic at first. Sucks for the early adopters!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      09-24-2020, 12:04 AM   #12
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

That front end is butt ugly... Wow what was the engineers thinking,, I could see it if we had a overheating problem,, But seriously.. I’m really glad I got my 2020 comp, and didn’t wait for the new BBQ grill.

Oh I think they’ll sell some ,, but I bet the numbers will be down from the last Gen,,, I talk to my salesman that I worked with he said he’s got one order, normally he said he would have people lined up to buy the next generation M car.

After my lease is up,, I’ll have to do some serious thinking for my next car..

Sometimes I think engineers are trying to runoff the enthusiast..

AMG : decided to put a granny shifter on the column and get rid of the stick on the consul.. that’s why I moved to BMW M cars about 4 yrs ago. And now with this hideous looking grill probably moving on to a Porsche.

Just my 2cents..

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0