BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Manual transmission is limited production in Canada?

I received an email from BMW of Canada about the M3/M4 unveiling on September 23. This email also claims that manuals are going to be “limited production” here.

Anyone heard anything more about this? How and why is it limited? Or is this just another dumb BMW sales pitch?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

That could be the case for your particular market. What were the manual take rates on the F8X in Canada?
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      09-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

With all the investments and cool new technology in the MT, I think they will sell as many units they can. If supply is limited, the MT crowd isn’t just going to switch to an AT instead. They will simple buy something else.
Appreciate 4
seis-speed2426.00
dmk087315.00
xlover2191.00
      09-17-2020, 12:25 AM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Can we get a copy and paste of the email?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post

Thanks.
Hello,

Adrenaline levels are rising as we near the unmasking of the all‑new BMW M3 and M4. On September 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM EST, you’ll have the first look at BMW’s Live from Ultimate Drive unveiling. Pre‑order opportunities will follow the reveal, and as a true BMW M enthusiast, we want you to be the first to submit an order to secure a limited production manual transmission BMW M3 or M4 vehicle.

With their newly developed inline 6‑cylinder engines and superior performance, the M3 and M4 are everything you’ve been waiting for.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      09-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Hello,

Adrenaline levels are rising as we near the unmasking of the all‑new BMW M3 and M4. On September 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM EST, you’ll have the first look at BMW’s Live from Ultimate Drive unveiling. Pre‑order opportunities will follow the reveal, and as a true BMW M enthusiast, we want you to be the first to submit an order to secure a limited production manual transmission BMW M3 or M4 vehicle.

With their newly developed inline 6‑cylinder engines and superior performance, the M3 and M4 are everything you’ve been waiting for.
My guess is that what they mean is not a limited run of x number units but that the G8X production line at full capacity will produce something like 1 MT for every 4 AT. So depending on demand there could initially be a waiting period to get one.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
My guess is that what they mean is not a limited run of x number units but that the G8X production line at full capacity will produce something like 1 MT for every 4 AT. So depending on demand there could initially be a waiting period to get one.
Well I surely hope so cuz I am not planning to run like a crazy person tripping things over just to be the first to put a deposit on a car that wasn’t properly reviewed and tested. Either way, it would be nice to get european delivery sometime during the summer this time! Hopefully Canada will not back out of it like the US did...
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      09-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post

Thanks.
They sent me the same e mail on Wednesday.I’m sure it’s just BMW Canada marketing at work.BMW wouldn’t make the manual limited in Canada.

The BMW M3 and M4 are the new future emerging from bold history.
Read online

Reserve Your Seat

+ Add pre-order to your calendar

BEHIND THE PULSATING DRIVE

Shaping the icon

See the first official driving shots and exclusive insights into the development of the new BMW M3 as it takes on the world’s most challenging track.

› Watch Now

Technical details

Watch as Dirk Haecker, Head of Development, drives the track and talks about the performance and technical details of the new BMW M3 and M4.

› Watch Now

Follow us:
Youtube Twitter Facebook Instagram

View email in web browser.

BMW.ca | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any documents accompanying it contain information from BMW Canada Inc. which is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named on the transmission. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e‑mail and attachments are strictly prohibited. In this regard, if you have received this e‑ mail and any accompanying documents in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

This communication was sent by BMW Canada Inc., 50 Ultimate Drive, Richmond Hill ON L4S 0C8, customer.service@bmw.ca and 1‑800‑567‑2691. Learn more at www.bmw.ca and our Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time from promotional communications using the links in the emails provided or using the contact information above. You will continue to receive electronic communications concerning your account if you choose to unsubscribe from promotional communications.

© 2020 BMW Canada Inc. “BMW”, the BMW logo, BMW model designations and all other BMW related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and/or trademarks of BMW AG, used under license. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.

https://bmwlive.ca/?dl=upcoming-stre...03-20200916-.-
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
I received an email from BMW of Canada about the M3/M4 unveiling on September 23. This email also claims that manuals are going to be “limited production” here.

Anyone heard anything more about this? How and why is it limited? Or is this just another dumb BMW sales pitch?
Well at least they mentioned it. I got a, much more generic, email from BMW UK (as I'm based in the UK) and they didn't even mention the manual.

The content's are posted in another thread I started, so I won't repeat here, but in essence it explicitly talked about the M3 & M4 Coupe Competition no mention at all of any other variant. As we all know by now the Competition is the 510hp version which will be available in RWD (and later AWD) but with 8AT only.

Assuming they haven't intentionally left off the 'base' version from the email this means the UK won't get the manual at all. So at least you'll get the manual option, even if it is "limited production" (whatever that actually means)!

It's worth pointing out for context that the UK market only gets Comp versions of the M5, X3/4M, X5M, M8 (obviously the 'base' M2 was withdrawn, along with the 'base' F80/F82). So there is precedent for this in the current UK product line.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Well at least they mentioned it. I got a, much more generic, email from BMW UK (as I'm based in the UK) and they didn't even mention the manual.

The content's are posted in another thread I started, so I won't repeat here, but in essence it explicitly talked about the M3 & M4 Coupe Competition no mention at all of any other variant. As we all know by now the Competition is the 510hp version which will be available in RWD (and later AWD) but with 8AT only.

Assuming they haven't intentionally left off the 'base' version from the email this means the UK won't get the manual at all. So at least you'll get the manual option, even if it is "limited production" (whatever that actually means)!

It's worth pointing out for context that the UK market only gets Comp versions of the M5, X3/4M, X5M, M8 (obviously the 'base' M2 was withdrawn, along with the 'base' F80/F82). So there is precedent for this in the current UK product line.
Yea, also same complaint from my Russian friends in the motherland, no regular M5...In Canada from 2021 LCI M5, we are also getting just the competition version of the M5. To be honest, I am completely disappointed with how BMW Canada keeps getting rid of some of the models. Like, what about all the normal people that want a normal M5? Why am I supposed to be forced into buying an M550 when I want a classic M5! I don’t want the dumb blackout trims and a suspension which knocks out your teeth in a process! Why am i supposed pay 7000-8000 extra for some ricer sh*t and a retarded “competition” badge??? Our Canadian roads are really bad, and if anything we should just get a regular M5! How hard is it to let us choose the options we want!? Same thing goes for the M8’s, no more regular models! And now I suspect they will also get rid of the regular M3/M4! What the hell? Arggg...those bloody clueless executive BMW Canada Fockers!!! 🤦*♂️🤷*♂️

Ok, My rant is finished... 😅😅😅
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Interesting they would bring a manual to Canada but not the UK.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Motorwerkz View Post
Interesting they would bring a manual to Canada but not the UK.
Canada can just piggy-back onto the NHTSA type approval for the manual G80 for the US -- not a lot of additional cost to offer it there. A UK manual G80 means developing a RHD variant and there might not be enough of a market in RHD countries for a manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #13
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
Canada can just piggy-back onto the NHTSA type approval for the manual G80 for the US -- not a lot of additional cost to offer it there. A UK manual G80 means developing a RHD variant and there might not be enough of a market in RHD countries for a manual.
The Aussies are getting a manual, so there's going to be RHD manuals. Some day. Probably.
      09-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
The Aussies are getting a manual, so there's going to be RHD manuals. Some day. Probably.
Yeah, now I've caught up on the multitude of videos posted on YT, there's one from good old Mat at Carwow which mentions that BMW UK decided it wasn't worth the effort/cost of marketing the manual when a tiny percentage of F80/F82s were specced.

On the plus side it was confirmed that as standard the UK market G80/G82 gets the carbon shift paddles, dash and steering wheel trim as standard - which I'm quite happy about.

I was actually looking at the UK configurator this morning and to be honest there isn't much I'd need to add as options. Although with my current F82 lease I'm probably going to end up with a nearly new one anyway - so maybe I'll get lucky with a fully loaded ex-demo unit and let someone else pick up the tab on the depreciation
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

It's a marketing tactics, basic human psychology, people want what they can't have or is limited supply.
      09-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
It's a marketing tactics, basic human psychology, people want what they can't have or is limited supply.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #17
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Marketing or not, those retards removed all base models from M8’s and M5’s for 2021 and we are only left with expensive competition models... the M5 base was $113000 msrp, now it starts north of $121000. That’s when a fully loaded M3/M4 base is around $110000. Call me paranoid, but I will not be surprised if the G80 manual will be available in Canada only for the model year 2021.
Appreciate 0