BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

09-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #23
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
On a side note, I always do a double take when I see your posts
LOL, i have thought the same thing many times before with you as well

so were the wheels these ones i guess then?

i greatly prefer the other ones i linked before. i hope the other ones come in all-black. this spy shot gives me hope (or is that just brake dust ??? )
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      09-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Because they probably were not supposed to take any photos at all?
Who knows what the situation was when they took the picture but if they happened on the car in the middle of the night with no one else around take a bunch of pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #25
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Who knows what the situation was when they took the picture but if they happened on the car in the middle of the night with no one else around take a bunch of pictures.
As I commented about that photo when it first came out, I find it quite hard to believe that somebody "accidentally" left a G82 without camo in a public place. To me this has the feel of a deliberate leak to soften up the rowdy audience.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #26
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
As I commented about that photo when it first came out, I find it quite hard to believe that somebody "accidentally" left a G82 without camo in a public place. To me this has the feel of a deliberate leak to soften up the rowdy audience.
If that was the intent it sure backfired and they should have chosen a picture that actuallly look like a car...that picture made all of us that like the G8X go
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      09-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
It just looks like someone walked by and snapped a pic "hip firing" when they were not supposed to take one.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
VDRZANE
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Cool Great summary from Snareman

I was also at the Indy M event yesterday and viewed the new M3 & M4. I'm not going to reiterate what's already been said but will add a few observations:

* Both cars had the M carbon fiber sport kits. It was explained to me that this will obviously be an add-on extra (no cost known) and could be done piecemeal. The parts adorned were the following: side mirrors (caps?), front splitter including brake cooling duct channels, rear valence, exhaust tip covers and trunk lip spoiler. Those are the pieces I noticed in the dim lighting. I'm not sure if the side gill covers were CF. Overall, and especially in conjunction with the CF roof (which has 2 "ribs" running down it - very cool) the CF looked amazing and I'm sure will be very costly.

* IOM green looks awesome! I think it was closest to a kelly green (although a quick google search gives a bunch of different kelly greens, so...) more like a forest green. The metallic really pops. I can see where some people say it was turquoise but only at certain angles of the spot lights - it is NOT a turquoise green overall.

* SM yellow is very yellow - what can I say? It is a bold release color, which is what they are going for. This color will not be for the masses, but I like to see BMW taking some chances. It looks cool in the yellow, even if it's not for your garage. The yellow as offset with all of the black trim and black CF made for a nice contrast.

* I thought the interior of the car looked great. The M3 had two-tone orangey colored leather with black inserts. The orange reminded me of cinnamon leather from the E46 M3. The fiber weave CF trim was very unique and quite interesting. I hope it doesn't collect dust/dirt easily. The M4 had the 'not-for-everyone' blue seats with yellow trim. These seats had CF on the back and were an optional upgrade of some sort. Very hard core track oriented and most likely NOT very good for daily driving. YMMV.

* Only one of the cars (I forget which one) had the big sensor in the driver's side grill. Maybe that's associated with a certain tech package for active cruise control etc? I wish they better integrated the sensor within the grill's horizontal slats because, even though both it and the slats are black, it really looks oddly placed.

* 20" 285 rears and 19" 275 front tires (not sure if this has been reported)

* The roof definitely had rail attachments on the side of the CF insert for bike carriers etc. They are not IN the CF. I know someone was asking about this topic.

* The front and rear fender flares are not as pronounced as previous M cars, as has been discussed. I believe this car is wider to begin with, hence the less need of huge flares. They are still flared and do look tasteful.

* Massive brakes - I think they were both $8k carbon ceramic.

* Both cars had the BMW laser headlights with the blue piece inside.

* Based on the performance of the current M cars, I am less excited by the design (sadly), but more excited by the promise of the performance to come. Fingers crossed.

* I found it funny that the guy I was speaking with would not comment on the engine. I asked to open the hood and was declined.

* Overall impression is that the cars look great. Yes, you can pick and choose things that look good or not so good, but OVERALL it is a great looking car. I'm sure nobody who buys one will be sorry.

If I think of more, I'll add later.
Appreciate 4
Jcali861479.00
JTO245246.50
heavyD^23684.00
      09-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Velvet Blue...due to the purple hue. Matches the tri-color ///M stripes.
Laguna Seca Blue...a classic E46 M3 color.

I think BMW released some F80 M3s in the 3 tri-color ///M paints as part of the final year of production before the G8x generation M3/M4 cars...

My friend couldn't wait for the 2021 G8x M3/M4 with the wacked grill. Bought an X3M with the same S58 engine instead. He is a major fiend with mods so that build should be interesting. Mad Max style...

The new G8x M3/M4 will be the fastest LCI in history. I give it 6 months, before BMW gives in and redesigns the kidney grilles.

It is obvious BMW is just copying Audi and Lexus. No exotic design or functional design reasons for something that fugly. Imagine a US license plate on that thing. Then imagine how out of place a tow hook plate holder would look.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #30
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDRZANE View Post

* The roof definitely had rail attachments on the side of the CF insert for bike carriers etc. They are not IN the CF. I know someone was asking about this topic.
Good to know. If I end up with one, it's gotta be able to transport my kayak. The kayak will add downforce
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:27 PM   #31
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

If you scroll down and click show more think you can see the engine bay of the TR m3 schmee drove https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/new-z...mw-ix3-07/2020
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #32
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDRZANE View Post

That was me.

Did you actually see the attachment points (threaded insert)? On The F80, the plastic openings were present, but no attachment inserts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #33
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
That was me.

Did you actually see the attachment points (threaded insert)? On The F80, the plastic openings were present, but no attachment inserts.

Thanks!
I saw them on the G80, the product rep flipped up the covers when I asked.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      09-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #34
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I saw them on the G80, the product rep flipped up the covers when I asked.
That is great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:21 PM   #35
BoostedJunkie
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 | F82 M4CS | F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Overall the car is fine. Not super sexy and not hideously ugly. Definitely looks larger. side profile looks pretty nice.
Yes, definitely a big car for 3er standards. I've seen the G80 test mule driving around SoCal a few times.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread