BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #463
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
I love all the negativity on price and features about BMW special edition cars. Its a bimmerpost tradition.

There should be a place on BP to memorialize all the negative internet posts about the e46 M3 CSL, M2 CS, M5 CS, and this car. Keep em coming.
Having an opinion that you might not agree with is not "hating."

I actually like the seats and grill but for something that suppose to be a "street legal racecar" when all they did is decontented an M4, double the price and make some bespoke cosmetic changes, doesn't pass the smell test, at least for me.

But hey, no beef, if that's your cup of tea, more M power to you. 👍🏻
Are you suggesting the CSL will be nothing more than an M4 with a de-contented interior and unique graphics? They're spending an awful lot of time to test those changes.
Appreciate 1
ScullyD5165.50
      01-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #464
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:

I actually like the seats and grill but for something that suppose to be a "street legal racecar" when all they did is decontented an M4, double the price and make some bespoke cosmetic changes, doesn't pass the smell test, at least for me.

But hey, no beef, if that's your cup of tea, more M power to you. ����
What you described was the last M3 CSL as well, if you want to bring it down to just things you can see or read on a spec sheet. They raised power from a base m3 by about 4.7% (17hp), reduced weight by 110kg, raised price by 25%, added visual upgrades.

You are acting like you wanted an entirely new body style, new engine, but thats never been the case in any special edition BMW, so why would that start now? BMW special editions are always characteristized by the money spent on the stuff that can't easily be quantified (the way it feels on a road, the way it steers). As Johnny Liebermann said, the money is spent on really expensive german engineers spending hours and hours honing the car.

Last edited by ScullyD; 01-21-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
      01-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #465
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Where were the pictures taken? Looks like Denmark or Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #466
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I love all the negativity on price and features about BMW special edition cars. Its a bimmerpost tradition.

There should be a place on BP to memorialize all the negative internet posts about the e46 M3 CSL, M2 CS, M5 CS, and this car. Keep em coming.

Are you suggesting the CSL will be nothing more than an M4 with a de-contented interior and unique graphics? They're spending an awful lot of time to test those changes.

They are completing the same field testing they would do on an 430i, as they would on this CSL. I've only seen this with every single upcoming BMW that have leaked..

But maybe I'm just ignorant. Seriously, please enlighten me on what am I missing here, beside them turning up the boost on the same S58 motor in the M4 and running it on the street..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #467
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They are completing the same field testing they would do on an 430i, as they would on this CSL. I've only seen this with every single upcoming BMW that have leaked..

But maybe I'm just ignorant. Seriously, please enlighten me on what am I missing here, beside them turning up the boost on the same S58 motor in the M4 and running it on the street..
I think the changes made to create the M4 GTS can be used as a general point of reference. It will be a heavily compromised car that sacrifices livability on the street for performance on the track. It certainly won't be for everyone but we should be happy that BMW is offering something in this niche at this price point (neither Audi or Mercedes do).

I hope they also implement lightweight side and rear windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #468
PARTS@STBMW
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

So excited for this model!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #469
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

But hey, no beef, if that's your cup of tea, more M power to you. ����
What you described was the last M3 CSL as well, if you want to bring it down to just things you can see or read on a spec sheet. They raised power from a base m3 by about 4.7% (17hp), reduced weight by 110kg, raised price by 25%, added visual upgrades.

You are acting like you wanted an entirely new body style, new engine, but thats never been the case in any special edition BMW, so why would that start now? BMW special editions are always characteristized by the money spent on the stuff that can't easily be quantified (the way it feels on a road, the way it steers). As Johnny Liebermann said, the money is spent on really expensive german engineers spending hours and hours honing the car.
I don't want anything bro, it was just a matter of opinion. It's not my money and I would not even consider one, if I was in the market for a street racecar.

I feel like this car is way too large and not unique enough to wear the coveted CSL badge. I can see in the mule testing video the driver needing a wide berth in order to whip this thing around a track. Not something that I would consider desirable trait in a supposed track focus vehicle. The assumed 160k price tag could be better spend on more capable machine, for this particular task.

This vehicle to me appears to be more of a cash-grab, riding on the coattails of the CSL moniker, with an onslaught of costly and pretty cosmetic changes, supported by the hype that the older E46 CSL generated.

I try to keep an open-mind but I have to call it like I see it. At the same time, I honestly don't want to make anyone whom actually feel like this vehicle would satisfy their every need to feel any kind of way, just based on my perspective. So let's just amicably agree to disagree on our varying opinion.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      01-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #470
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
I think the changes made to create the M4 GTS can be used as a general point of reference. It will be a heavily compromised car that sacrifices livability on the street for performance on the track. It certainly won't be for everyone but we should be happy that BMW is offering something in this niche at this price point (neither Audi or Mercedes do).

I hope they also implement lightweight side and rear windows.
I think its going to end being more like a lightweight CS. You might get a different suspension with passive dampers, but they've had alot of success with the adaptive dampers so i doubt they change them at this point. I think the money will be spent on lightweighting (CFRP Hood and Trunk lid, maybe some CFRP body panels) and chassis tuning. Maybe a remapped ECU to make the engine a bit more linear. Forged alloy wheels. Carbon interior panels. At announcement, it will feel underwhelming even compared to the M4 GTS of the prior generation.

Stuff that seems like its not worth the money, but the stuff you can't see will be what the money was about. Will probably be 120k USD to 135k USD. Won't cost more than an M5 CS. A loaded M4C with all the performance options only is $100k USD (Carbon pack, CCBs, Seats, M driver's package, lights, but not the safety, exec package, or any of this). 25% more probably will be the benchmark.

Last edited by ScullyD; 01-21-2022 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      01-21-2022, 02:07 PM   #471
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Damn that's a beautiful carbon seat for the CSL.
Appreciate 3
spikes111287.50
Chicane_1050.00
      01-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #472
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
In anticipation of the inevitable "Can I DD my CSL in winter?"...

Yes:
You can DD every car, you just have to do it, that's what they have been made for
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Chicane_1050.00
      01-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #473
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Cool to see m3 wagon in the rear!

Here is comparison, what would you chose:

M4 csl or m3 wagon?

I would go for the wagon

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 3
ks74.50
AGAV13805.50
duky1316.50
      01-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #474
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

This front lip is going to be incredible but the new vorsteiner grille is much better than the CSL. I may pair the two.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #475
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
This front lip is going to be incredible but the new vorsteiner grille is much better than the CSL. I may pair the two.
I prefer the Vorsteiner grille over the CSL grille too.
Appreciate 2
Dr.Deep1827.00
      01-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #476
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe @poochie, maybe

But let me tell you a story that might make it easier for you to understand why I would gladly buy one at a drop of a hat:

In 2006, I paid $7500 for a single 20¢ coin that was minted in the same year.

Why, I hear you ask my canine friend. I purchased the coin because it was minted in error and there were only 25 of them in the entire world.

I don't care if the only difference between the M4 and M4 CSL is the badge, if I'm one of only a thousand people on the plant, full of 8 billion people, I'd buy two of them if I could.

That should make it clear for you and remove the need to badger BMW about how good or badass the car is, how much or how little change there is; it's perception baby, it perception.

Live with it or, get out of the way of those who are willing to live with it

Now that I've lit the fuse, I'll stand back and watch the fireworks from the distance 😜
F87EVO4033.00
Chicane_1050.00
JustChris17487.50
      01-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #477
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I wonder is that active aero on the front lip that's not covered in camouflage…hmm

To all those crying about the price, don't let yourself lose any sleep. Chances are you won't have the opportunity to buy one even if you wanted it.

This is going to be awesome
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #478
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Hating is typical of forums. Seems to be rampant for the "limited" models here. Usually from people who aren't even in the market for one.

And then they just tell you "I CALLS IT AS I SEES IT. KEEP DRINKIN THE KOOLAID, HAHA Sheep! I HAD THE FIRST CSL and THIS AINT IT"

Can't even let strangers be happy without giving your bitchy-moany two cents about something that's got nothing to do with you. We aren't spending your money.

Hopefully, the dealer I threw my deposit at can get a second allocation since there's someone ahead of myself.
AlexFL7837.00
khanyam4801.50
      01-21-2022, 05:12 PM   #479
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Hating is typical of forums. Seems to be rampant for the "limited" models here. Usually from people who aren't even in the market for one.

And then they just tell you "I CALLS IT AS I SEES IT. KEEP DRINKIN THE KOOLAID, HAHA Sheep! I HAD THE FIRST CSL and THIS AINT IT"

Can't even let strangers be happy without giving your bitchy-moany two cents about something that's got nothing to do with you. We aren't spending your money.

Hopefully, the dealer I threw my deposit at can get a second allocation since there's someone ahead of myself.
He is voicing his opinion like everybody else. Why do you have a problem with him? Either disprove his opinion or keep yours to yourself, don't try to silence or mock him. That is disrespectful.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:22 PM   #480
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post

He is voicing his opinion like everybody else. Why do you have a problem with him? Either disprove his opinion or keep yours to yourself, don't try to silence or mock him. That is disrespectful.
🤣🤣🤣

You just did to him what you advised him not to do to others
      01-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #481
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Based on the recent CS models, it is very likely that this car will be epic. Stoked to see the M Division get back into the groove.

For those questioning price, this isn't the car for you. This is not a value based model where you can look at the content changes and think you will save money vs building it yourself. It is about buying the most extreme version of a car that M will offer to the general public for road use.
Appreciate 4
Chicane_1050.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
khanyam4801.50
      01-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #482
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Duckbill returns!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:55 PM   #483
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Hopefully this comes with active aero and cf side skirts, which are both standard on the Giulia QV
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #484
M3EATERS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 Sdrive35i/M6 F13

This needs to symbolize 50 years of M and there should be an expectation of pioneering features as well as rare m anniversary badging and not just the unique built numbers and fancy gold plaques. I can see the csl plaque may be in the rear cabin but this needs to make a statement. My deposit money is down. Here's Hoping. Born in 1972 M Year!
Appreciate 0