BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #67
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

According to @lemetier, the 6MT is apparently a different unit now, a Magna 6MTI550 - shared with the Ford Bronco, for example. Gear ratios are identical to F80. It was also shared by him that there are now some more electronic nannies at play here, almost like a clutch-by-wire type of deal. Prevents money shifts, blips the throttle just a bit during hard braking to prevent locking up rear wheels even in rev match off mode. Curious.

Further, I just found out that the G80's 80-120 kph times in 4th and 5th gear are worse than of the F80 6MT. I would say that is due to the fact that the S58 has peak torque ca. 800 rpm higher.

I don't know. All this and the weight gain...
JTO245246.50
      10-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #68
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
According to @lemetier, the 6MT is apparently a different unit now, a Magna 6MTI550 - shared with the Ford Bronco, for example. Gear ratios are identical to F80. It was also shared by him that there are now some more electronic nannies at play here, almost like a clutch-by-wire type of deal. Prevents money shifts, blips the throttle just a bit during hard braking to prevent locking up rear wheels even in rev match off mode. Curious.

Further, I just found out that the G80's 80-120 kph times in 4th and 5th gear are worse than of the F80 6MT. I would say that is due to the fact that the S58 has peak torque ca. 800 rpm higher.

I don't know. All this and the weight gain...
If that’s true just stay in 3rd if you want hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #69
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
I would plan to lease, and I think if I pay for the care+ package it would cover the clutch as a wear item for the first 30,000 miles (right?), so that helps, but does rev matching, anti-stall, hill-holding, and all the other goodies make you guys feel okay enough to have someone less experienced drive the car?
Even if she's learning to drive stick I don't think it's possible to wear a M clutch in 30k miles.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #70
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

I'm looking forward to that confirmation... it would seem quite odd to move to a tranny shared with the Ford Bronco
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #71
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
I'm hoping for..
- Can turn off rev matching easily / quickly
- M5 type AWD that can be switched to RWD
- pure model has less aggressive styling
- space grey (a girl can dream)
- filthy deep straight six roar (ok now I'm really dreaming)

I don't care if it has less power than the other versions. They're already powerful enough.

Enough of the "iPhone marketing" with these cars. "But now it has 5% more power and special black/chrome something, so the previous one you have is junk".
Don't know if you're in Auckland but they aren't bringing the 6MT here at the moment. Hit up Ruwan at Auckland City telling him what you want to order. 021952064. I'm trying to convince him to convince Karol (MD of bmwnz) to let me get one
      10-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #72
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
This guy is complaining about gear ratios and ignoring the fact that it is a gift from god that they are even offering a manual.

However, driving in 3rd is really impractical. 4th gear was really my "go to" gear. It was good to cruise, it was good to accelerate, it didn't drone at 55 mph too badly.

I guarantee you it's not as bad as the gentleman above is making it out to be. This is going to be an amazing car to drive in 6MT and I can't wait!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24832.00
rak299597.50
      10-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #73
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
This guy is complaining about gear ratios and ignoring the fact that it is a gift from god that they are even offering a manual.

However, driving in 3rd is really impractical. 4th gear was really my "go to" gear. It was good to cruise, it was good to accelerate, it didn't drone at 55 mph too badly.

I guarantee you it's not as bad as the gentleman above is making it out to be. This is going to be an amazing car to drive in 6MT and I can't wait!
If people applaud the 718 GT4, despite having a very long 2nd gear, I'm sure BMW will be fine with their slightly longer 3rd gear.

Again, if you want to ultimate driving experience, the Miata has it all. Great gearing, great manual experience, affordable as a toy and hell of a lot of fun. Keep in mind, a lot of the fun results from absolutely getting on it, with the ability to rev out every single gear and still staying within the speed limits.
      10-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
If people applaud the 718 GT4, despite having a very long 2nd gear, I'm sure BMW will be fine with their slightly longer 3rd gear.

Again, if you want to ultimate driving experience, the Miata has it all. Great gearing, great manual experience, affordable as a toy and hell of a lot of fun. Keep in mind, a lot of the fun results from absolutely getting on it, with the ability to rev out every single gear and still staying within the speed limits.
The gearing of the GT4 is horrible. The only reason it gets a pass is because too many fanboys forget any reason when they see the Porsche badge.
You do not pair a NA engine with a 2nd gear that does 83mph in a performance car, it's just ridiculous.
Appreciate 3
karussell350.50
WWM3958.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      10-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #75
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

The gearing of the GT4 is horrible. The only reason it gets a pass is because too many fanboys forget any reason when they see the Porsche badge.
You do not pair a NA engine with a 2nd gear that does 83mph in a performance car, it's just ridiculous.
I know, talk about a double standard...I have a friend who had both a Cayman GTS and M2C. He sold the Porsche saying he personally liked the M2C more. I love people who can make their own decisions and appreciate a car for their specific use case. Don't get blindsided by the badge 😬
W///7435.50
      10-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #76
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I know, talk about a double standard...I have a friend who had both a Cayman GTS and M2C. He sold the Porsche saying he personally liked the M2C more. I love people who can make their own decisions and appreciate a car for their specific use case. Don't get blindsided by the badge 😬
Your friend sounds like a smart person
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #77
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I realized I wasn’t that clear, for cruising at that speed top gear is obvious to me but for hard acceleration in that range just stay in 3rd or drop down to third whichever is applicable. Don’t be afraid to use the gearbox, shifting is fun that’s why you have an MT For follow the traffic flow kind of acceleration top gear will do just fine and these stated max in gear acceleration numbers from low rpms are meaningless.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #78
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me guess - if he sold the M2C and kept the GTS you'd say he's just a fanboy and blinded by the badge?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #79
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me guess - if he sold the M2C and kept the GTS you'd say he's just a fanboy and blinded by the badge?
Nope, I have made my position clear that the cayman is a better sports car through and through. Porsche definitely deserves the accolades in this department because the 718 was designed as a sports car off the bat.

The M2C was designed as a passenger car first, thus its use case was completely different to start. However, it is also this formula that makes the M2C so appealing. It combines both practicality and performance, which is where the M brand truly shines.

People frequently debate BMW vs. Porsche, but they have completely different ethos to start with. Just depends what you want, no wrong answer whatsoever.
      10-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #80
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

how'd this turn into a bmw / porsche debate? i've driven both and to be fair the gearing just feels that much more firm and in tune than it does for bmw.

bmw just feels a bit loose but that's just my opinion. i enjoyed both
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #81
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
how'd this turn into a bmw / porsche debate? i've driven both and to be fair the gearing just feels that much more firm and in tune than it does for bmw.

bmw just feels a bit loose but that's just my opinion. i enjoyed both
Every thread devolves to this...every one.
Appreciate 1
h_bakken148.50
      10-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #82
kimchee411
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LBB 6MT| '06 911 C2 6MT

Quote:
Funny, you never see this on Rennlist.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #83
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post
Quote:
Funny, you never see this on Rennlist.
Nobody on Rennlist knows have to drive 6MT though
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #84
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You got to feel for them struggling with that silly extra gate. So much worse than just having to angle and push the wrist to the right, left or flat/neutral. That fourth gate ruins it. Stupid 7th gear.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #85
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You got to feel for them struggling with that silly extra gate. So much worse than just having to angle and push the wrist to the right, left or flat/neutral. That fourth gate ruins it. Stupid 7th gear.
You're damn right
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #86
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

Quote:
well frankly, because it's true.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #87
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
6MT

Quote:
I'm looking forward to that confirmation... it would seem quite odd to move to a tranny shared with the Ford Bronco
Sounds like a very flexible transmission: https://www.magna.com/products/power...-transmissions
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 10-19-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #88
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Sounds like a very flexible transmission: https://www.magna.com/products/power...-transmissions
My $5 still say it uses the F8X 6mt, not the Bronco
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00