home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

LOUD brake noise (sounds like a train stopping)

Hi All,

I was driving today (600 mile g80 m3) and a few times intermittently heard what i can only describe what sounding like a train stopping when braking. This noise was accompanied by a noticeable reduction in braking power.

I know the brake squeal noise and this wasn't that, as I could literally feel the vibration/noise coming through on the brake pedal.

Anyone experienced this and/or know what it could be?

https://youtube.com/shorts/S7def69_IOk?feature=share
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00
      12-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2USIAST View Post
Hi All,

I was driving today (600 mile g80 m3) and a few times intermittently heard what i can only describe what sounding like a train stopping when braking. This noise was accompanied by a noticeable reduction in braking power.

I know the brake squeal noise and this wasn't that, as I could literally feel the vibration/noise coming through on the brake pedal.

The can is under warranty, correct? The only real way to know, is to take it in. That doesn't sound like the normal squealing of brakes. It almost sound like a bad, stuck caliper. Almost like one that's not disengaging. It sounds like a bad caliper piston, because if there was a dead one, it would flop around, inside the housing of the caliper. Then when you applied the brake, it would drag on the rotor, and what you're hearing is a high speed caliper piston vibration.

This is my guess. How many miles on the car? Im hearing people changing their rear pads out, in like 15K miles.

Appreciate 1
MAMBA_M3191.50
      12-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

The can is under warranty, correct? The only real way to know, is to take it in. That doesn't sound like the normal squealing of brakes. It almost sound like a bad, stuck caliper. Almost like one that's not disengaging. It sounds like a bad caliper piston, because if there was a dead one, it would flop around, inside the housing of the caliper. Then when you applied the brake, it would drag on the rotor, and what you're hearing is a high speed caliper piston vibration.

This is my guess. How many miles on the car? Im hearing people changing their rear pads out, in like 15K miles.
Thank you! 600 miles on the car lol, and the sound seems to be coming from the front brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! 600 miles on the car lol, and the sound seems to be coming from the front brakes
It sounds like something loose in the brakes. Because something making that kind of noise, has to be something thats mating with the rotor, and is just loose enough, that when it contacts a flat surface, is hitting it completely flat, and something loose, would make a noise like that. LIke a high frequency vibration.

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 12-17-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
og_e46
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46; G80 M3C FDG; X7 M50i

Thinking out loud here. I don't know your situation so I could be totally off base. Did you get your car washed recently? Any chance that tire shine fluid got on your rotors? Or any other type of contaminat on the rotors? What about a small pebble getting kicked up near or in between the rotor/pads/dust shield?

Whatever it is, if it's affecting your braking, that's a safety issue. Pull off the wheels and inspect the brakes, or even better get your dealer to cover the work under warranty.

Last edited by og_e46; 12-17-2021 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00
      02-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 X Dravit

Same thing I’m experiencing! Happens some days and doesn’t happen others.

Here’s my video https://youtube.com/shorts/VeEtwZ95JlU?feature=share

Did you find out what it was?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 11:48 PM   #7
GDBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4CX | '19 X7 5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulisraddd View Post
Same thing I’m experiencing! Happens some days and doesn’t happen others.

Here’s my video https://youtube.com/shorts/VeEtwZ95JlU?feature=share

Did you find out what it was?
I had a similar noise on mine. I can only reproduce it after driving for multiple hours and only under very light braking pressures. No noticeable reduction in braking power.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:56 AM   #8
SONIK15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC, 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBimmer View Post
I had a similar noise on mine. I can only reproduce it after driving for multiple hours and only under very light braking pressures. No noticeable reduction in braking power.
Hey, did you ever get that brake noise issue resolved? I just took delivery of my G80 last month and with only about 250mi on the car I have the exact same brake noise from the front brakes (extremely loud noise that sounds like a freight train coming to a stop). Only happens with light brake pressure in traffic once the car has been driven for about 20-30 min but does not happen when braking hard or on the highway (for example slowing down from 85mph to 75mph, 75mph to 65mph etc). And no apparent loss in braking pressure; so basically, when the brake pads have heated up enough obviously the expansion of the warm brake pads coming into contact with something but only at low speeds, because when the pads cool off the noise goes away completely...I posted about this issue on my local forum recently (with a couple of ideas from members but I haven't had a chance to try out yet); but nobody in the area seems to have had this particular issue.
Car has been at the dealer service shop for almost a week now and they've supposedly been in communication with BMW in Germany to try and find a resolution to the problem...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:45 PM   #9
GDBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M4CX | '19 X7 5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIK15 View Post
Quote:
Hey, did you ever get that brake noise issue resolved? I just took delivery of my G80 last month and with only about 250mi on the car I have the exact same brake noise from the front brakes (extremely loud noise that sounds like a freight train coming to a stop). Only happens with light brake pressure in traffic once the car has been driven for about 20-30 min but does not happen when braking hard or on the highway (for example slowing down from 85mph to 75mph, 75mph to 65mph etc). And no apparent loss in braking pressure; so basically, when the brake pads have heated up enough obviously the expansion of the warm brake pads coming into contact with something but only at low speeds, because when the pads cool off the noise goes away completely...I posted about this issue on my local forum recently (with a couple of ideas from members but I haven't had a chance to try out yet); but nobody in the area seems to have had this particular issue.
Car has been at the dealer service shop for almost a week now and they've supposedly been in communication with BMW in Germany to try and find a resolution to the problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIK15 View Post
Quote:
For me the problem went away on its own. I haven't noticed it since the break in service a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I have it too from time to time. A couple of hard brakes and it goes away.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #11
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I just noticed this the other day, light braking getting off highway, sounded like a freight train stopping. Enough to make me get out the car and check around it thinking something had happened.

It's happened about 2 times thus far, I'm 715 miles in. I'm thinking about bedding the brakes after break in service and see what happens. Worst case I'll raise it to the dealership and have them take a look. Kind of a relief to hear I'm not the only one lol.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00
      06-18-2022, 06:04 PM   #12
Former-Mopar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MBW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froz3n_M View Post
I just noticed this the other day, light braking getting off highway, sounded like a freight train stopping. Enough to make me get out the car and check around it thinking something had happened.

It's happened about 2 times thus far, I'm 715 miles in. I'm thinking about bedding the brakes after break in service and see what happens. Worst case I'll raise it to the dealership and have them take a look. Kind of a relief to hear I'm not the only one lol.
Bedding the brakes sounds like a good idea. You can do that before the break in service. Not like you have to punch it to get to speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #13
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Same here…and multiple talks with my dealer and BMW Germany with sound clips of the „train stopping" noise…

As long as there is no brake power loss, goes away under heavy braking and no visual damage on the rotors there won't be anything they can (will) do about it and u gonna hear the same as always:
It is normal that they make various kind of noise under light braking...

So if u don't want to have the car sitting at the dealership for days and multiple times with hearing the same at the end…only relief will be (most likely) switching to other pads or a complete different brake system…unfortunately

I have that since I have the car and now 17k miles and it is still the same…heavy braking keeps them quite for a while and then it starts again. Otherwise no issues at all with the brakes, so if there would be anything wrong it would have got worse and worse after 17k miles…so it seems this generation is just a louder and uglier noise than on the Fx cars…
Appreciate 1
Froz3n_M399.50
      06-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #14
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former-Mopar View Post
Quote:

Bedding the brakes sounds like a good idea. You can do that before the break in service. Not like you have to punch it to get to speed.
Agree, just don't want to put that load on the engine back to back during break in. Just me being soft until that service, after that, the car will hate me 😝
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2022, 03:43 AM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Iron remover and a pressure washer. You need to get the dust out of the rotor holes and out from between the pads and the rotor. The rotors get a glazing on them, from the hardness of the pads. That layer needs to be knocked off.

And it doesn't matter how fast you drive, during break-in. I went 167, after about 600 miles, but just stay away from that high RPM. Im extremely hard on the brakes. I have CCBs, but they will make noise, as well. I've heard the train screeching at least twice in the past 6,600 miles.

Appreciate 2
      06-20-2022, 09:31 PM   #16
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:

Iron remover and a pressure washer. You need to get the dust out of the rotor holes and out from between the pads and the rotor. The rotors get a glazing on them, from the hardness of the pads. That layer needs to be knocked off.

And it doesn't matter how fast you drive, during break-in. I went 167, after about 600 miles, but just stay away from that high RPM. Im extremely hard on the brakes. I have CCBs, but they will make noise, as well. I've heard the train screeching at least twice in the past 6,600 miles.
I have the same issue. Glad I'm not alone.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13463.00
      08-06-2022, 09:33 PM   #17
G80Adam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 + BMW 335i F30

Have you figured out the problem that’s happened to me like 3 times only 600 miles!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 09:34 PM   #18
G80Adam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 + BMW 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMBA_M3 View Post
Hi All,

Have you fixed the issue if so what was it I have the same issue!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #19
Froz3n_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Issue has gone away. Just go hard on the brakes for a few, it was happening during long slow stops where brake pressure was minimal but braking distance was extended. So, harder on the brakes and late braking seems to have e done it in finally. I tried the long off the highway ramp slow brake and it's no longer doing it. I'm about 1800 miles now FYI.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #20
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Can report the same issue happening to me twice and so far only have 600 miles on the car
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #21
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Seems like the only replies you are getting are confirmations. I will put one in the “no” column. I have plenty of squeak even after 2200 miles though. A question for the “yes” column, have you been gentle on the breaks during break in? I ask because the squeak from this car was so annoying that I ended up lightly riding the breaks for about 1000 feet a few times to get rid of it temporarily. It still shows up every drive but not as bad as before the first 1500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #22
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

Had same thing happen a few times... then heard something go PINGGGG as it hit metal. I assume a rock some how got pinched and then it was fine. Sounded like I was a train on train tracks... was obvious that something was stuck because as I would speed up it would get louder and slowing would get less...