BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #23
lsbm3one
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 ss/so

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
It was a fun day for sure.
You’re probably the only one on this forum that has actually rode in the CSL. Glad to hear the experience didn’t let you down. Anything else you can share about it? I’ve been waiting for the reviews come out but looks like I may take delivery before that happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 07:30 PM   #24
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Realistic means it's a representation of reality. I'll take reality.

EVs like a Taycan are fine for driving to work and plugging in at home which is what most people do with their car. They are (currently) far from suitable for track days or weekends in the hills, they are a LONG way from that. The weight and the range being the primary issues. Quick spurts on the on ramp, sure, you can feel a moment of acceleration.

The CSL is extremely special car, super limited, one year, heavy badged BMW made as a streetable track day car, perfect for track days or the weekends in the hills I mentioned. It is the anti-EV. The M4 is just a daily driver, a nice and fun daily driver. Love mine for sure.
I've owned some fast cars in my day including a ZO6, so I wouldn't classify the M4 that I have on order as just a fun daily, but I can live with that analogy or whatever else translates to a fun driving experience.
My definition of a fast car is definitely different than yours.
I wouldn't consider a z06 a fast car and yes I've ran against them on the track and off the track.
They are lite and geared well but I wouldn't take a z06 over my e36 m3.
Every time someone mentions a z06, all I remember is a z06 putting a rod through the block on the track and it's a mess.
But I'll take an m3/4 over any American car any day.
You might disagree but I appreciate the German engineering over the American one.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #25
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbm3one View Post
Quote:
It was a fun day for sure.
You're probably the only one on this forum that has actually rode in the CSL. Glad to hear the experience didn't let you down. Anything else you can share about it? I've been waiting for the reviews come out but looks like I may take delivery before that happens.
I've driven a few G8x m3/4 from bone stock to modded ones.
The csl is quite impressive. Felt very nimble and flat through corners. Steering is very direct.
It felt more than just 40hp over the comp. Had plenty of power through the rpm without disturbing the rear end. Also sounds different than the comp.
Shits are very crisp, almost feels and sounds as a dct transmission.
Compression and rebound in comfort felt great.
Bmw definitely did a great job dialing in the steering and dampers tuning.
Appreciate 1
F82G82AND149.50
      07-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #26
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I've driven a few G8x m3/4 from bone stock to modded ones.
The csl is quite impressive. Felt very nimble and flat through corners. Steering is very direct.
It felt more than a just a 40hp over the comp. Had plenty of power through the rpm without disturbing the rear end. Also sounds different than the comp.
Shits are very crisp, almost feels and sounds as a dct transmission.
Compression and rebound in comfort felt great.
Bmw definitely did a great job dialing in the steering and dampers tuning.
I have an '11 BMW 335is with a DCT. I really don't understand why BMW chose not to use a DCT in the GBx?
      07-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #27
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
My definition of a fast car is definitely different than yours.
I wouldn't consider a z06 a fast car and yes I've ran against them on the track and off the track.
They are lite and geared well but I wouldn't take a z06 over my e36 m3.
Every time someone mentions a z06, all I remember is a z06 putting a rod through the block on the track and it's a mess.
But I'll take an m3/4 over any American car any day.
You might disagree but I appreciate the German engineering over the American one.
I had a C6 ZO6 and a C7 ZO6. I don't think you were walking past the C7 ZO6, unless you were a much, much, much better driver and/or you had some other engine in the BMW! Seriously?

Actually, I think my stock '11 BMW 335is would take your e36!

I agree with you on German engineering as this will be my 7th BMW since buying my first new one, a 320i in 1979, and my wife and I have had 4 Mercedes including an S600 that was our Learjet on wheels. We have also had 2 Audis and 2 VWs.

Last edited by beden1; 07-30-2022 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #28
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I personally have zero interest in EVs. They could be twice and fast and a quarter the pride and I'd still rather have a CSL.
I would have agreed with you until I rode as a passenger in, and then drove the Porsche Taycan GTS a friend of mine bought. We went out to pick up take-out dinner one night, and I actually felt like I was in the Starship Enterprise. Streetlights were literally flashing by like the speed of light, and what I was most impressed with, was how Porsche also created a seat-of-the-pants vibration experience as well as cockpit sound that was very realistic. Having personally owned a performance Porsche, I'm sure it also handles like it's on rails. That car was $160,000. I almost creamed in my pants. The '23 BMW M4 xDrive Competition that is supposed to be delivered for me to the dealer at the end of next week, also made me feel "satisfied" enough to pay for more, but I am financially realistic with cars. That car, all-in is under $100,000.

I have also driven in a friends Tesla Plaid. OK, super-fast as you would expect, but totally lacking what Porsche created with the physical and audible experience. It was very rough riding, and the seating and leg room was totally uncomfortable. The owner was actually apologizing for the lack of comfort to me and my wife while we were driving to dinner.

I guess I'm clueless, but what are you paying up for with the CSL over the M4 competition xDrive coupe, when other cars with similar prices, just tromp the CSL from a performance to financial standpoint?
I think realistically, cash in cash out, the regular M cars will see pretty decent deprecation once things normalize as they historically do. Xdrive cars will hold their value better than rear drive cars, the CSL and forthcoming xdrive CS will cost more and hold their value to MSRP and higher compared to the comp cars. So you aren't really spending more money in the long run from a depreciation standpoint.

As far as performance, the only better performance for the Xdrive comp vs the CSL is 0-60 times and stoplight racing. So if that's the metric that someone is judging cars by, then yes an xdrive M3C is a better value for money. I think most CSL buyers are more focused on track and backroads performance.
Appreciate 2
beden1511.00
      07-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #29
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I personally have zero interest in EVs. They could be twice and fast and a quarter the pride and I'd still rather have a CSL.
I would have agreed with you until I rode as a passenger in, and then drove the Porsche Taycan GTS a friend of mine bought. We went out to pick up take-out dinner one night, and I actually felt like I was in the Starship Enterprise. Streetlights were literally flashing by like the speed of light, and what I was most impressed with, was how Porsche also created a seat-of-the-pants vibration experience as well as cockpit sound that was very realistic. Having personally owned a performance Porsche, I'm sure it also handles like it's on rails. That car was $160,000. I almost creamed in my pants. The '23 BMW M4 xDrive Competition that is supposed to be delivered for me to the dealer at the end of next week, also made me feel "satisfied" enough to pay for more, but I am financially realistic with cars. That car, all-in is under $100,000.

I have also driven in a friends Tesla Plaid. OK, super-fast as you would expect, but totally lacking what Porsche created with the physical and audible experience. It was very rough riding, and the seating and leg room was totally uncomfortable. The owner was actually apologizing for the lack of comfort to me and my wife while we were driving to dinner.

I guess I'm clueless, but what are you paying up for with the CSL over the M4 competition xDrive coupe, when other cars with similar prices, just tromp the CSL from a performance to financial standpoint?
I have ICE cars and hybrids that will outperform the Taycan in a straight line so the CSL isn't entering my garage to satisfy that performance metric. It's a niche car that you either appreciate or you don't.
Appreciate 1
IMG1122.00
      07-31-2022, 07:12 AM   #30
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

She is built and waiting to be taken to the port. We will see if it enters my garage or not. The reviews better be stellar. I’m not just buying it to be a garage ornament. Gt4 RS is on order and I know that’s a winner.

At this point bmw can’t even put an M4 CSL in my bmw garage so we aren’t starting off on a good foot. Will this be another m4 GTS failure? I sure hope not.
      07-31-2022, 07:17 AM   #31
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
She is built and waiting to be taken to the port. We will see if it enters my garage or not. The reviews better be stellar. I’m not just buying it to be a garage ornament. Gt4 RS is on order and I know that’s a winner.

At this point bmw can’t even put an M4 CSL in my bmw garage so we aren’t starting off on a good foot. Will this be another m4 GTS failure? I sure hope not.
Holy shit you bought a csl and gt4rs? What do you do for a living? Can you help a poor soul out? 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 07:37 AM   #32
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
She is built and waiting to be taken to the port. We will see if it enters my garage or not. The reviews better be stellar. I'm not just buying it to be a garage ornament. Gt4 RS is on order and I know that's a winner.

At this point bmw can't even put an M4 CSL in my bmw garage so we aren't starting off on a good foot. Will this be another m4 GTS failure? I sure hope not.
Sweet. I'm sure you'll get to enjoy both on the track.
Sell me the E30 ☺️😉
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #33
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sell me the E30 ☺️��
I just sold 2 E30 M3 and selling the E30 m3 race car next.

The white one can be had for $150,000. You likely won't see a better one in your lifetime
      07-31-2022, 11:32 AM   #34
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sell me the E30 ☺️��
I just sold 2 E30 M3 and selling the E30 m3 race car next.

The white one can be had for $150,000. You likely won't see a better one in your lifetime
Is that the sport evo ? I'm assuming it's a street car not a track car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 11:57 AM   #35
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Having owned a Corvette ZO6 and continually reading about new cars and technologies producing more HP and quicker 1/4-mile times, how do you CSL owners feel when you see even BMW producing electric cars that may snatch you from the top perch? For me waiting for my '23 M4 Competition xDrive Coupe, I know I will have a great road handling car that has exceptional acceleration, but I paid $50K less than you did. I'm just asking for a friend and to start an interesting conversation.
Quote:

I think you pretty much answered your own question, here. "How do you feel about?" Answer: "and then drove the Porsche Taycan GTS a friend of mine bought. We went out to pick up take-out dinner one night, and I actually felt like I was in the Starship Enterprise."

The M4 CSL is their Starship Enterprise. That's how they feel in the car they selected, or they wouldn't be paying $140k for a car they can get for $100k.

I bought my G82 xDrive, because I've had really fast AWD cars, in the past. To me, I like that connected feeling of AWD. Its the perfect acceleration balance. all 4 wheels connected when you apply all of the power. The weight transfer feels completely different. The car just feels more solid to me.

The CSL is definitely nice, and it's going to be extremely rare, and it's going to attract a lot of attention, and be worth the money, in the long run. I have 7,400 miles on my G82, and I wouldn't last that long, in the CSL seats. It's just not going to be comfortable, for me. My car has every option, except carbon buckets, and I'm completely happy with it.

Appreciate 4
beden1511.00
IMG1122.00
colo3Kid154.50
Swappy531.50
      07-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #36
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what that one is but those are evo2 valve covers and airbox. They were all white. Mine is just a sport evo wanna be with most all the bmw factory parts.

They never made a sport evo in white. Actually they said they made one for an exec but no one can ever find it.

They made 500 sport evo or evo 3’s as they are sometimes called in red and jet black only.

I do have a e30 m3 race car but this particular one is a street car
IMG1122.00
      07-31-2022, 04:25 PM   #37
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
Holy shit you bought a csl and gt4rs? What do you do for a living? Can you help a poor soul out? 😂
I can tell you I spend way too much money on cars but that’s the plan to buy them both although at the moment I haven’t bought any. Allocations in hand and deposits have been made. I know I’m following through on the 4RS. Let’s see how this m4 CSL gets reviewed. Reviews better hurry as my car has been built and waiting to be shipped to the port.
IMG1122.00
      07-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #38
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what that one is but those are evo2 valve covers and airbox. They were all white. Mine is just a sport evo wanna be with most all the bmw factory parts.

They never made a sport evo in white. Actually they said they made one for an exec but no one can ever find it.

They made 500 sport evo or evo 3's as they are sometimes called in red and jet black only.

I do have a e30 m3 race car but this particular one is a street car
It's an Evo III
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 08:38 PM   #39
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
Behave yourself and have respect for yourself.
Appreciate 1
IMG1122.00
      08-18-2022, 09:49 PM   #40
F82G82AND
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Anyone else getting CSL soon?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 12:23 AM   #41
x5m50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50i

mine left the factory 3 days ago, i should receive it next week
Appreciate 2
IMG1122.00
F82G82AND149.50
      08-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #42
Gamerguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
1. IMG
2. Chicane_
3. KKSigs
4. Padrino
5. rebornkhj
6. Stevy_g
7. marv800
8. Higgs Boson
9. lsbm3one
10. ptgltw
gamerguy: FBG w/stripes and m buckets. Still at the port.
Appreciate 2
IMG1122.00
F82G82AND149.50
      08-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #43
IMG
United_States
Rep

Mine is getting built on the 42nd week which falls on my Birthday 🥳
Appreciate 1
F82G82AND149.50
      08-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #44