BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-30-2021, 01:48 AM   #1
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Struggling to get comfortable in the m3

Odd Question to be sure .. just curious what seating position you guys use for daily driving ? For most of my life I've had the seat all the way back and the back portion reclined gangster style . In this car it just doesn't feel right , I struggle to find the most comfortable position . Anyone with feedback ?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #2
mlc50
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 (6MT)

I guess the easier question to ask would be what do you find uncomfortable about the seating position? And then go from there.
      08-30-2021, 03:13 AM   #3
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Is this post serious? Who drives a M car with the seat all reclined
Appreciate 25
      08-30-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

did you try changing seat height?
      08-30-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
lol cut me a break I'm coming from a Hellcat charger . Much more acceptable practice in dodge land . I'm TRYING to be more refined .. 🧐🧐
Appreciate 7
M3exDeo188.50
gtotheq54.00
heavyD^23684.00
Salespunk1741.00
      08-30-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Do you wear a seatbelt? If you are driving aggressively and the seat is reclined, the car will try to throw you into the backseat. You recline the seat all the way back in an Impala or a Monte Carlo, not an M3. This is hilarious.
      08-30-2021, 04:33 AM   #7
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Ok, OP, try this (but be forewarned, I’m 6’6”, so my options may be more limited than yours). Adjust the seat fore/aft until your legs are still slightly bent when you fully press the pedals. Adjust the front of the seat cushion upward, if desired, to provide more thigh support. Adjust the back cushion, such that you have two fingers’ width between your head and the roof AND you can reach the top of the steering wheel with the palm of your hand and still have your arm slightly bent. Move your seat forward if necessary to help reach the steering wheel, then adjust the tilt of the seat cushion to restore a degree of legroom. You will also want to adjust the steering wheel reach and rake so that you can see the gauges and reach a comfortable balance of reach (with your arms) and room (with your legs and head).

All the above aims to achieve a SAFE driving position (I’m also a former HPDE instructor), but you will likely find it comfortable as well. Then you can adjust lumbar support and backrest width to suit.
Appreciate 14
akkando5860.00
Llarry14494.00
Tag17929.50
SpinalTap109.50
Mamba279.00
      08-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #8
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I think you answered your own question. You are trying to drive a sports car "gangster style"…
Appreciate 6
themnmd1687.00
Encanto1161.00
kiw1617.00
      08-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #9
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Ok, OP, try this (but be forewarned, I'm 6'6", so my options may be more limited than yours). Adjust the seat fore/aft until your legs are still slightly bent when you fully press the pedals. Adjust the front of the seat cushion upward, if desired, to provide more thigh support. Adjust the back cushion, such that you have two fingers' width between your head and the roof AND you can reach the top of the steering wheel with the palm of your hand and still have your arm slightly bent. Move your seat forward if necessary to help reach the steering wheel, then adjust the tilt of the seat cushion to restore a degree of legroom. You will also want to adjust the steering wheel reach and rake so that you can see the gauges and reach a comfortable balance of reach (with your arms) and room (with your legs and head).

All the above aims to achieve a SAFE driving position (I'm also a former HPDE instructor), but you will likely find it comfortable as well. Then you can adjust lumbar support and backrest width to suit.

Solid.

This is the kind of seating position I go for. It's a sports car, so even though I DD it, I always set up my driving position for optimum sport driving + control w/two hands on the wheel and visibility of the cluster. That results in the kind of seat height and slight bends in the arms and legs described here, although for sure a bit lower since I'm not this tall. Allows for the optimum amount of pressure "feel" when using the pedals, turning the wheel, and using negative pressure from both to feel planted in the seat. That's also why I got the driver assistance packages; on long road trips or stop and go traffic having the various cruise control features really helps to give my limbs a rest.

You may not be used to that kind of positioning yet OP with the driving positions you used to use, but I'll bet you get used to it over time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #10
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Ok, OP, try this (but be forewarned, I'm 6'6", so my options may be more limited than yours). Adjust the seat fore/aft until your legs are still slightly bent when you fully press the pedals. Adjust the front of the seat cushion upward, if desired, to provide more thigh support. Adjust the back cushion, such that you have two fingers' width between your head and the roof AND you can reach the top of the steering wheel with the palm of your hand and still have your arm slightly bent. Move your seat forward if necessary to help reach the steering wheel, then adjust the tilt of the seat cushion to restore a degree of legroom. You will also want to adjust the steering wheel reach and rake so that you can see the gauges and reach a comfortable balance of reach (with your arms) and room (with your legs and head).

All the above aims to achieve a SAFE driving position (I'm also a former HPDE instructor), but you will likely find it comfortable as well. Then you can adjust lumbar support and backrest width to suit.
Sounds pretty darn text book . How close to 90 should the seat back be? I feel the closer t0
90 the better control of the car , but the less comfortable I am .
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
M3exDeo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M, 2011 E90 M3

Garage List
2022 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
2022 F97 X3M  [0.00]
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeanM5 View Post
Sounds pretty darn text book . How close to 90 should the seat back be? I feel the closer t0
I love these unique threads.

I'd start with leg distance from pedals, then lower seat tilt. Seat height next for best visibility. Last, adjust seat back so arms are bent, not stiff arm.

90° seat is uncomfortable. I lean mine back enough for comfort but arms still bent to the steering wheel
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #12
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3exDeo View Post
Quote:
I love these unique threads.

I'd start with leg distance from pedals, then lower seat tilt. Seat height next for best visibility. Last, adjust seat back so arms are bent, not stiff arm.

90° seat is uncomfortable. I lean mine back enough for comfort but arms still bent to the steering wheel
" unique " I've been called far far worse
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

35 degree angle with the seating position sloped like 70% up. I like to be directly in front of the wheel but not too close.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Dont forget you can also (manually) adjust the steering column too.

I must admit Ive been trying for a month to find the most comfortable position in the carbon buckets. Its my legs that I have the issue with. To be most comfortable, I need to have my legs straight. slight upward bend (as mentioned earlier) otherwise the side bolster digs in to my thigh. However, I cant quite get by palms on the top of the wheel so I need to move closer....then its uncomfortable, then I try raising the seat...its a vicious circle...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow View Post
Quote:
Dont forget you can also (manually) adjust the steering column too.

I must admit Ive been trying for a month to find the most comfortable position in the carbon buckets. Its my legs that I have the issue with. To be most comfortable, I need to have my legs straight. slight upward bend (as mentioned earlier) otherwise the side bolster digs in to my thigh. However, I cant quite get by palms on the top of the wheel so I need to move closer....then its uncomfortable, then I try raising the seat...its a vicious circle...
Finally !!! Someone has the same ocd as I do !!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #16
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
lol cut me a break I'm coming from a Hellcat charger . Much more acceptable practice in dodge land . I'm TRYING to be more refined .. 🧐🧐
Do a few track days (serious advice). You'll find your seating position in much faster and understand why reclining is very...impractical to be kind haha.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

First off to the OP, welcome to the other side. Appreciate that you are trying to figure things out. My process is to find a starting point then store it in Memory 1. From there I make small adjustments and then store them in Memory 2. If I make another adjustment then it gets stored in Memory 1. This allows me to toggle between my last known good position and the new updated position.

That being said I never got along with the old luxury seats that came in the 7 and 5 series cars. Sharing this because sometimes seats may not fit your body type. On those cars I could not get the seat back flat enough. There was always too much lumbar in them which aggravated my lower back. Good luck and hope you are enjoying the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #18
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Odd Question to be sure .. just curious what seating position you guys use for daily driving ? For most of my life I've had the seat all the way back and the back portion reclined gangster style . In this car it just doesn't feel right , I struggle to find the most comfortable position . Anyone with feedback ?
OP,
Watch Adjusting your driving position demonstrated in an M6. One Day M School which has basic coverage on the seating position and 360 visibility. Unlearning old/bad habits is hard, but "gangster style" reclining can be crippling or fatal if/when sh1t hits the fan. Besides, your ///M peeps won't think you're a noob when they see you following correct protocol and the Porche guys will think twice before messing with you!

Last edited by Yeru; 08-30-2021 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
SpinalTap109.50
      09-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

One final point to add to the OCD....have you even noticed that you get int he car in the morning and when you look in the rearview is seems tilted slightly down? Then you move it....

Then in the evening it somehow seems to be tilted a little high so you have to sit up in your seat a little, or move the mirror again. Then the vicious circle begins.

I googled it - apparently we are, on average, around 1cm taller in the morning.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #20
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
A Chevy Camaro of the 80's? IROC Z !
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #21
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I never got along with the old luxury seats that came in the 7 and 5 series cars. Sharing this because sometimes seats may not fit your body type. On those cars I could not get the seat back flat enough. There was always too much lumbar in them which aggravated my lower back. Good luck and hope you are enjoying the car.
I currently have those seats in my G05 X5, and I find them very comfortable. I almost always set my seat with no lumbar.

I drive a dozen or more BMWs during a typical week. Sometimes, like you, I find a seat where I cannot dial out the lumbar support completely. On those occasions, I’ll leverage my legs against the floorboard to apply extra pressure against the seatback as I’m holding the lumbar adjustment. After 10-15 seconds of this, I usually have found satisfaction.
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1741.00
      09-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #22
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It’s textbook for good reason — balances safety with comfort. I’m too tall to ever sit bolt upright in a vehicle, so I can’t speak with experience. In large SUVs and pickups I’ve driven, I like some tilt to my seatback (I never measured precise degrees from vertical.). Just be sure you can reach the pedals when fully depressed, can reach the top of the steering (the furthest point from your seat), and can see all of the instruments.

As suggested elsewhere, use your seat memory to ‘dial in’ the setting that ultimately works best for you. I find myself slightly adjusting my seat from time to time, even after driving it nearly 3 years.
Appreciate 0