BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-15-2023, 06:32 PM   #1
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

So,

I’ve had my m3 a week now.
Haven’t uploaded any pics or done the big story or anything.

But I have spent some time with it, and granted I am still within breakin period and not really pushing the car.

But based on my feeling driving this car… this is not a sports car. I’m comparing this directly to a 718 which is also in my garage. It’s weight plays a large part in that. I can feel it. I actually like the heft that the car has, but in terms of sportiness is doesn’t hit the mark to me.

The m3 (to me) is not a sports car, and that’s ok. I love it still. I really like what it is. It’s much more comfortable than the 718, it’s definitely faster, and it’s got really nice tech inside which I’d love to see in the Porsche. It seats 5 comfortably!

I love iDrive8 btw, and I think it’s amazing. It looks great and it works wonderfully. I think you’d have to be a little nuts to purposefully avoid id8. It’s fantastic.

Still, I just want to say this and I know that many, maybe most will disagree… but this is not a sports car. It’s a tight, fast, luxury vehicle.

Personally, I am totally ok with that.
Different cars for different purposes.
None of my family want to ride with me in the 718, but they all do in the m3. It’s a wonderful BMW, I’m super glad I have it…. but (and I was one of these people not too long ago) - anyone shopping this car for a sports car as a discount Porsche - just stop.

I don’t think you are going to get what you are looking for, at least not in the g80 stock. The m3 does nothin for me when I want to drive for the sake of driving. It’s a totally different feeling driving the 718 and the m3 and I imagine that stands true for the 992 vs the m3.

As has been said, the comparisons make no sense. Speed in a straight line is only one factor and while the m3 is great at that…

I’d argue anyone looking for sport car vibes is better off in a number of other vehicles, many less expensive, if they can’t find a 718 or a 911 in the budget. I think older tuned civics give more of a sport car / track vibe than the g80 does stock.

Tuned, modified g80… idk. But that weight is a real issue. Stock this car is just pure luxury to my senses. It doesn’t tingle the sporty nerves the same way the 718 does, at all.

My family loves the car though (m3) and I do too. It’s fantastic for what it is, and I’m really glad to have it in the garage. These are obviously my own feelings based on my hands, feet, and nervous system. (I don’t know why we need to make declarations like that these days but it seems we do, so I did.)

I suppose the carbon fiber buckets might change a bit of the impression I have, but I think the entire setup of the car, the way that you sit, the driving angle, the view from the inside, the interior and of course the car itself… it just doesn’t feel like a car designed to race. It feels like a car designed to travel roads with luxury, refinement, and yes speed of course.

This is how I perceive the m3 after a week. Please don’t let these words inflame you. This is not an attack on you or the car or BMW. I love my new m3. I really do, but I was someone cross shopping a Porsche sports car (718/911) versus the m3 and I fully understand why people say it makes no sense.

I don’t think one or the other is better, but they are different in ways that you can’t really make up for. To be honest, I think if you can only have one car - get the Porsche. It’s luxurious enough and it’s a car that feels like it wants to race. It makes you feel like a race car driver in it. The BMW, to my senses at least, is not that and while I’m glad to have both… if I could only have one I’d want to have the Porsche because it better scratches that itch. I don’t see myself taking the m3 out for spirited drives too often because even though it is definitely fast... it just doesn’t hit me like that.

But, I do see myself actually driving it more often than the Porsche because of it’s utility, looks, comfort, ease of speed. For one thing, it’s nice to have a real trunk again. I mean that sincerely, it’s so nice.

Awesome to have both.
Just wanted to put this out there to people who are thinking the m3 is going to be this great sports car that will make you forget about a 911 and save you some cash while you are at it.

I don’t see that being the case.
At the same time, anything can be raced and will the g80 do well, I’m sure it will. This is just the difference in how this car feels to me. If I had to put the m3 in one category, sports car or luxury vehicle, it’s going in luxury vehicle.

If you think I’m wrong, please do reply but try to remember that I am not saying any of this to hurt anyone here. I like my m3. I’m keeping it. If you think I’m wrong I’d love to hear why. I’ll listen.
Appreciate 10
PipeM3196.00
Llarry15862.00
T0RM3NT3633.00
Allerum315.50
Needsdecaf6594.50
Nate.G82521.00
YamaLink425.00
m3wannab118.50
      03-15-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
e46e39g80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If, as you say, the comparisons make no sense, why compare them here?
Appreciate 4
Llarry15862.00
Jsndiesel325.50
      03-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
DisonKlaud
internal combustion engine maniac
Rep
Drives: E90 325i F82 M4ZCP G82 M4C

You can't expect the same driving experience with mid-rear-drive and front-rear-drive. But if I have to choose between 718 and G82, I will choose G82 without hesitation.
Appreciate 6
DO4441408.50
Skyscraper2196.00
Eris496219.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
Lakeside400.00
      03-15-2023, 06:55 PM   #4
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i, BMW M3

Things to make it more "sports car"
1coilover
2 trans tune
3 replace all rubber bushings with solid ones
4 race toe arm reinforced strut brace
5 lowered see#1
There is more but I dont know off the top of my head

Some people complained about the f80 that it was too harsh etc and look how bmw responded a softer car no dct to make it more daily driver friendly. Even on the G80 people are so scared of a harsh ride so to speak. People here some not all, want a sports car but don't want the traits that come with a sports car like transmission etc. For me I iam modding my car to make it more raw and not "luxury" I have done #1 already and iam currently working on #3. So you can mod your car to suit your needs
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Eris496219.50
      03-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e39g80 View Post
If, as you say, the comparisons make no sense, why compare them here?
Not sure I understand your question?
Is this rhetorical?

I think that this car is a car that is frequently shopped and compared with a Porsche sports car, and there has been some push back against that comparison here which I personally didn’t want to believe. But after driving multiple Porsche and now the g80 I do agree they feel quite different.

I don’t think this was always the case either.
I’ve driven an e30 and an e39 and both of those cars had a sporty quality to them which made sense to compare to Porsche at the time, especially the e39 (I really, really love that car).

I think nowadays the m3 has changed quite a bit. It’s incredibly competent, fast… and I’m not a professional journalist so it’s not easy for me to put this into words, but there is something… neutral about the g80. I don’t want to say boring, because I like it and I’m not trying to piss in anyone’s cornflakes.

But there has been a transition, I feel, from more sporty to less sporty. The luxury factor has been raised however.

I honestly don’t really know what you mean by why compare them here. It’s pretty much what everyone does. If you are offended by something I wrote then I’m sorry. I’m just a nerd talking about subjective experience of cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itson451 View Post
Things to make it more "sports car"
1coilover
2 trans tune
3 replace all rubber bushings with solid ones
4 race toe arm reinforced strut brace
5 lowered see#1
There is more but I dont know off the top of my head

Some people complained about the f80 that it was too harsh etc and look how bmw responded a softer car no dct to make it more daily driver friendly. Even on the G80 people are so scared of a harsh ride so to speak. People here some not all, want a sports car but don't want the traits that come with a sports car like transmission etc. For me I iam modding my car to make it more raw and not "luxury" I have done #1 already and iam currently working on #3. So you can mod your car to suit your needs
Thank you for that!
Do you have a thread where you are keeping track of your mods?

I’d love to follow it!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:05 PM   #7
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Thank you for that!
Do you have a thread where you are keeping track of your mods?

I’d love to follow it!
No not yet bro. I have kwv4s on my and iam replacing all the bushings in the back of the car currently I have the FALLINE g80 monoball in the front of the car
Once iam done with the feel of the car I will work on the transmission
When iam done I will make a thread on the journey. I will make a racecar so to speak
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-15-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
You didn't have to actually buy the car to figure out it's not a 718 and is in fact a 4 door sedan largely based on a 3 series.

Joking aside, i'm glad you're enjoying the car.
Appreciate 4
DO4441408.50
BigRedG80127.00
JTO245274.50
      03-15-2023, 07:07 PM   #9
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itson451 View Post
No not yet bro. I have kwv4s on my and iam replacing all the bushings in the back of the car currently I have the FALLINE g80 monoball in the front of the car
Once iam done with the feel of the car I will work on the transmission
When iam done I will make a thread on the journey. I will make a racecar so to speak
Can’t wait to see it.
I followed you so I’ll catch when you eventually post it.

First step is trying to find a ppf/tint shop for a reasonable cost, but everyone here is around $8k which seems a bit much.

I think I will follow you down the mod rabbit hole sooner rather than later ha ha!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:09 PM   #10
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can’t wait to see it.
I followed you so I’ll catch when you eventually post it.

First step is trying to find a ppf/tint shop for a reasonable cost, but everyone here is around $8k which seems a bit much.

I think I will follow you down the mod rabbit hole sooner rather than later ha ha!
Glad to hear there are some others that want to go down this journey but are not posting recently we will see
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-15-2023, 07:12 PM   #11
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
You didn't have to actually buy the car to figure out it's not a 718 and is in fact a 4 door sedan largely based on a 3 series.

Joking aside, i'm glad you're enjoying the car.
You’re right about that!
But, I needed a 5 seater anyway. I was set to buy it no matter what.

I love the car.
I love the way it looks and it’s a very easy car to be in. The only reason I made this post is for the people (and you know who you are) who, like myself, thought they could get a largely similar experience to a 911/718 at a bit less cost.

I don’t think you can do that with the m3. There may actually be cheaper (and slower) cars out there that feel more sporty, but I haven’t driven everything. I was surprised when some automags didn’t even list the m3 in their top ten sports cars and after driving one I can kinda see their point.

I imagine this platform has incredible untapped potential in the aftermarket though, and I haven’t even begun to learn about what that would entail. It’s an awesome car. I just wanted to share my thoughts on that, especially the Porsche comparisons because I was one of those guys going back and forth on the spreadsheet looking at all the stats and…. the numbers on paper don’t tell the whole story!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:12 PM   #12
e46e39g80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Not sure I understand your question?
Is this rhetorical?

I think that this car is a car that is frequently shopped and compared with a Porsche sports car, and there has been some push back against that comparison here which I personally didn’t want to believe. But after driving multiple Porsche and now the g80 I do agree they feel quite different.

I don’t think this was always the case either.
I’ve driven an e30 and an e39 and both of those cars had a sporty quality to them which made sense to compare to Porsche at the time, especially the e39 (I really, really love that car).

I think nowadays the m3 has changed quite a bit. It’s incredibly competent, fast… and I’m not a professional journalist so it’s not easy for me to put this into words, but there is something… neutral about the g80. I don’t want to say boring, because I like it and I’m not trying to piss in anyone’s cornflakes.

But there has been a transition, I feel, from more sporty to less sporty. The luxury factor has been raised however.

I honestly don’t really know what you mean by why compare them here. It’s pretty much what everyone does. If you are offended by something I wrote then I’m sorry. I’m just a nerd talking about subjective experience of cars.
Yes, rhetorical they are complementary imo
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      03-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #13
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
It’s a sports car. It has earned the title and with a few tweaks the CSL smokes the 718 on track.
You’re just feeling the 500lb+ weight difference and smaller brakes.
If you owned a base 911 it would feel closer to the M3. Some of the new 911s ,especially AWD, weigh as much or more.
I would agree the M8 is just a fast luxury car. It’s a pig.
Appreciate 5
m.dreamin1610.00
      03-15-2023, 07:49 PM   #14
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

It's not a sports car. It is a great luxury cruiser. It has great potential and range--much more than what a 718, or even a 911 can provide. If one would want a 4 door car when they can't drive their Porsche, the M3 is a helluva car.
When I got bored with a Macan Turbo...I bought a newer Macan Turbo.
Then I let me wife DD it and ordered a M3 for my DD. The m3 is a lot of car. But it's no gt3.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Llarry15862.00
      03-15-2023, 07:58 PM   #15
jummo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX 2023 x1

I suppose it depends on your definition of sports car. It has been sporty enough for me so far.
Personally, I like " More fun to drive than anything more practical, and more practical than anything more fun to drive".
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
      03-15-2023, 08:01 PM   #16
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

@op. Just curious which transmissions do you have on the M3 and 718?
Appreciate 1
suffer101.50
      03-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #17
user12464
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, G80 M3C Xdrive

I think it all comes down to definition of a sports car and what kind of experience you are after. I sold my 981 Cayman and replaced it with M3CX so I've also compared the two directly.

No doubt the Cayman is a purpose built sports car and feels like it. But it's also much more of a single purpose vehicle. I loved the Cayman on back roads and on the track, but honestly it was a pain to drive anywhere else especially in traffic. It felt like driving a go kart on the freeway. Consequently I didn't drive it much.

M3 on the other hand is more of a dual purpose vehicle. It can be practical and easy to drive when you want it to be. But also fast, lively and fun on back roads and track. Personally I'd consider it a "sports car" in that it's fast and fun to drive, but perhaps in a different way than a Cayman. But if you don't like to drive the M3 for the sake of driving, you're doing something wrong.

Your comparison to old, tuned civics is interesting. The current Cayman is a 10 year old platform so in many ways probably closer to and older civic in feel just because it's design is dated. That doesn't make it a bad car, but more modern platforms have more versatility. A 992 911 feels more modern and isolating with a dual personality that is sporty when you want it to be, much like the M3.
Appreciate 4
DO4441408.50
M49er24.00
JTO245274.50
      03-15-2023, 08:08 PM   #18
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
@op. Just curious which transmissions do you have on the M3 and 718?
I have a cx so it is the zf.
I would have optioned the 6sp if I could have.

The 718 is mt.
I am sure that plays a part, but even still I think the overall package leans towards luxury and not sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #19
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12464 View Post
I think it all comes down to definition of a sports car and what kind of experience you are after. I sold my 981 Cayman and replaced it with M3CX so I've also compared the two directly.

No doubt the Cayman is a purpose built sports car and feels like it. But it's also much more of a single purpose vehicle. I loved the Cayman on back roads and on the track, but honestly it was a pain to drive anywhere else especially in traffic. It felt like driving a go kart on the freeway. Consequently I didn't drive it much.

M3 on the other hand is more of a dual purpose vehicle. It can be practical and easy to drive when you want it to be. But also fast, lively and fun on back roads and track. Personally I'd consider it a "sports car" in that it's fast and fun to drive, but perhaps in a different way than a Cayman. But if you don't like to drive the M3 for the sake of driving, you're doing something wrong.

Your comparison to old, tuned civics is interesting. The current Cayman is a 10 year old platform so in many ways probably closer to and older civic in feel just because it's design is dated. That doesn't make it a bad car, but more modern platforms have more versatility. A 992 911 feels more modern and isolating with a dual personality that is sporty when you want it to be, much like the M3.
Yea, I see your point and I appreciated reading your post!

I agree with a lot in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #20
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Have you driven a new M3 in anger post break in on a closed public road or racetrack?

It is 100% a sports car.
Sedan_Clan25085.00
maelfyn156.50
JDUNITNOW3504.00
m.dreamin1610.00
      03-15-2023, 08:16 PM   #21
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
Have you driven a new M3 in anger post break in on a closed public road or racetrack?

It is 100% a sports car.
No lol
Maybe I just need to give it more time and let the hounds loose lol.

I’ve only had it to 100, and not really done that much in it. I am talking subjectively here on how it feels to be in moving around, but you are correct… I have not explored the vehicle’s limits in any direction.

What I am experiencing may be what the writers say is a lack of engagement due to how refined the ride is at this point. It might be that “sports car” = drama to me.

I have no doubt that the actual ability of the car is mind boggling. I hope what I said makes sense. I don’t think anyone would argue that the m3 is more capable than the 718. It certainly feels very capable, but it lacks… drama.

Maybe that’s really what I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

The current M3 is a four door sedan. My grandma has a sedan.

If you want a sports car get an M4.

Sorry. I can’t help myself.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 8
DO4441408.50
M4ord787.00
Malloy982.00
MannyS357.00
BuckysBMW171.50
slow_g82202.00