BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #67
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
The CS and CSL are just trying a little too hard from a styling perspective. Very similar to prior gen Civic type R, but even more-so with those hood stripes, red grill surrounds, etc.

If someone did this themselves to a normal M3, people would be , but since it's OEM, it's somehow acceptable.
But how else do you let everyone know you spent an extra $40k for a 75 lb weight reduction and 40 hp? Btw, I am pretty sure you can do better with less $. Just power-wise I was offered a tune through my dealer that would +100 hp for a small fraction of that. And I realize they change a whole bunch of things with the car… but I agree with you this feels rushed and more like a cash grab than a thoroughly thoughtful, honed CS. But the F80 felt almost the same way, sans weird hood colors. Not so the M5 CS.
Appreciate 1
DM5PAV375.00
      01-31-2023, 10:48 AM   #68
Rikardo_We
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i BSM

“Beauty in the flesh” and then we are shown photos. A tad ironic?
      01-31-2023, 11:05 AM   #69
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3macster View Post
But how else do you let everyone know you spent an extra $40k for a 75 lb weight reduction and 40 hp? Btw, I am pretty sure you can do better with less $. Just power-wise I was offered a tune through my dealer that would +100 hp for a small fraction of that. And I realize they change a whole bunch of things with the car… but I agree with you this feels rushed and more like a cash grab than a thoroughly thoughtful, honed CS. But the F80 felt almost the same way, sans weird hood colors. Not so the M5 CS.
The M5 CS got alot of development time, but it was barely a horsepower increase, received bucket seats from the already announced M3, and just got a carbon fiber hood and some bronze trim.

So it was no different from an announcement perspective, and you can find threads on here where everyone ripped it as a bunch of carbon bits and some gold trim. Only after test drivers was the software tuning of the dampers and transmission acknowledged as standout points.

The CS models have always been about software changes with minimal mechanical changes, M5 CS was no different than the M3 CS.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2023, 12:47 AM   #70
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
The M5 CS got alot of development time, but it was barely a horsepower increase, received bucket seats from the already announced M3, and just got a carbon fiber hood and some bronze trim.

So it was no different from an announcement perspective, and you can find threads on here where everyone ripped it as a bunch of carbon bits and some gold trim. Only after test drivers was the software tuning of the dampers and transmission acknowledged as standout points.

The CS models have always been about software changes with minimal mechanical changes, M5 CS was no different than the M3 CS.
I can't really agree with that. Going back and looking at the history of CS and CSL models starting with the 3.0 CS & CSL and I see BMW incorporated quite a bit of mechanical changes. Even the M2 CS you had came with a decent amount of mechanical bits not found on the M2 competition. Of course the adaptive suspension was pulled from the M3/M4 parts bin, but it was not something offered for the M2 Comp. Nor was the integrated CF roof, Merino leather, CF hood, exhaust, and carbon brakes.

The software changes are important, but it's the sum mechanical and software changes that have made good CS models. IMO, it's a mistake for BMW to make a CS model that is nothing but a software flashed Comp. There should be some mechanical changes that are not cost effective to manually add to a Comp. Even if not everyone cares about the mechanical changes, they should still be there.
Appreciate 1
Emtoo370.50
      02-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #71
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
I can't really agree with that. Going back and looking at the history of CS and CSL models starting with the 3.0 CS & CSL and I see BMW incorporated quite a bit of mechanical changes. Even the M2 CS you had came with a decent amount of mechanical bits not found on the M2 competition. Of course the adaptive suspension was pulled from the M3/M4 parts bin, but it was not something offered for the M2 Comp. Nor was the integrated CF roof, Merino leather, CF hood, exhaust, and carbon brakes.

The software changes are important, but it's the sum mechanical and software changes that have made good CS models. IMO, it's a mistake for BMW to make a CS model that is nothing but a software flashed Comp. There should be some mechanical changes that are not cost effective to manually add to a Comp. Even if not everyone cares about the mechanical changes, they should still be there.
The M2 CS some significant hardware changes relative to an M2C (CFRP structural roof, adjustable dampers, M4C engine tune). M5 CS didn't. The M3 CS gets 75lbs of weight removal through CFRP hood, transmission tunnel, titanium exhaust. CSL strut brace, unique engine mounts, unique camber settings, unique dampers and anti-roll bars (thats all hardware). Thats very similar to what was done with the M5 CS. The M5 CS just had different front and rear seats.

Its not "0 hardware changes" it was "no significant hardware changes". And that question was asked to compare to the M4 CSL, which had a completely different chassis set-up to the M4C (for both front and back).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #72
sleepyrye
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30

Amazing
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:06 AM   #73
RTC3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Performante,Z4 M40i,Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Are you really that naive to think that the M3 CS is only a M3 Competition xDrive with a bit more boost pressure and some nice carbon parts on it? C'mon.

The chassis has been completely overhauled (even if BMW doesn't make a big deal out of it), new programming for the gearbox as well (faster shift times), stiffer engine/gearbox mounts, improved cooling for engine/gearbox (not sure how but I guess we'll find out soon) and the weight reduction may not be significant but BMW certainly optimized and tweaked a few parameters in the ECU, so this isn't only about a bit more boost but also a slightly different drive feel (more direct, sportier).

And this is just the stuff we know about because the M3 CS is a 2024 model and BMW improved a lot of things but they don't brag about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:28 AM   #74
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC3000 View Post
Are you really that naive to think that the M3 CS is only a M3 Competition xDrive with a bit more boost pressure and some nice carbon parts on it? C'mon.

The chassis has been completely overhauled (even if BMW doesn't make a big deal out of it), new programming for the gearbox as well (faster shift times), stiffer engine/gearbox mounts, improved cooling for engine/gearbox (not sure how but I guess we'll find out soon) and the weight reduction may not be significant but BMW certainly optimized and tweaked a few parameters in the ECU, so this isn't only about a bit more boost but also a slightly different drive feel (more direct, sportier).

And this is just the stuff we know about because the M3 CS is a 2024 model and BMW improved a lot of things but they don't brag about it.
Yes! I’m so naive!

Did you even read my post where I said “they change a whole bunch of things about the car”?

I was being sarcastic - the OP was about the silly paint etc

Get off your soapbox
Appreciate 0