BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
rm56well
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 comp

moonroof is not a option for us in the UK as we only get the M3 competition. if it was a option I would have gone for it and wrapped the roof in cf.
      12-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #24
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

For me, I would not even consider ordering one with a sunroof. The carbon roof is one of the best features with new M cars. But its your car and you should order what you want. If you dont plan on keeping it long term though from what Ive seen its harder to sell one with a sunroof on previous models. But with the current market anything is selling like crazy.
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019140.00
Jobe10176.50
      12-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #25
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Still, it's not that serious as some make it out to be, especially on a vehicle that's already edging 4,000lbs..

These cars ain't exactly track stars, so I'm not going to do mental gymnastics in an attempt to convince myself that it is and miss out on a free and potentially useful option.

However, carbon fiber does look pretty cool but the novelty wears out pretty quickly..

No judgment to anyone that goes either way but this is just my humble opinion on the subject.
youre not wrong on the weight savings making a minimal impact on a vehicle at this weight level.

I personally dont like the headroom loss (especially with a helmet) and I dont think there are many CF roofs on cars costing less than $100K so I am pro CF.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #26
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Quote:
The carbon fiber roof only saves 3.3lbs over the steel version, so its performance benefits is insignificant.

Therefore, I much rather opt for the moonroof at no charge and gain an actual feature.

One drawback of opting for the moonroof is you can't get the M Driver's package, which is no bigger since the Autobahn doesn't exist in the US, so this is moot.
That is true about the steel, but i dont think they are including the moonroof glass and components so it would probably be a little more.
Yeah, with the moonroof components, it's more like 50 lbs. Still not a lot….but definitely more significant than 3.3 lbs. Kind of misleading on BMW's part to make it sound like a difference of "only" 3.3 lbs.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      12-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Quote:
The carbon fiber roof only saves 3.3lbs over the steel version, so its performance benefits is insignificant.

Therefore, I much rather opt for the moonroof at no charge and gain an actual feature.

One drawback of opting for the moonroof is you can't get the M Driver's package, which is no bigger since the Autobahn doesn't exist in the US, so this is moot.
That is true about the steel, but i dont think they are including the moonroof glass and components so it would probably be a little more.
Yeah, with the moonroof components, it's more like 50 lbs. Still not a lot….but definitely more significant than 3.3 lbs. Kind of misleading on BMW's part to make it sound like a difference of "only" 3.3 lbs.
That's from an internal training document which is really not intended for public viewing or any form of marketing, so they have no motive to mislead their own employees about the actual weight.

I'm pretty sure it's not a 50lbs gain; the glass and mechanisms are not that heavy and you have to also deduct for the opening they cut into the steel top, to incorporate the moonroof.

I say it's no more than 15 to 20lbs max, if that..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
For me, I would not even consider ordering one with a sunroof. The carbon roof is one of the best features with new M cars. But its your car and you should order what you want. If you dont plan on keeping it long term though from what Ive seen its harder to sell one with a sunroof on previous models. But with the current market anything is selling like crazy.
You are right that a sunroof can impact the value (or desirability) of the vehicle, but probably not as much as a convertible roof does. Convertibles are just not in demand and I think buying an M4 convertible would be an absolute huge loss if I tried to sell/trade in a few years.

Everything depends what I see for a trade value on my X6. I have an expected small loss in mind, but if it exceeds that then I'll just keep the X6.

Rob
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      12-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #29
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

I never even thought about the sunroof. I've had one in every previous car for the last 20 years and probably opened it less than 10 times so this time with the CF roof option that was for sure going to be my choice.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      12-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #30
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I'm just curious how many have ordered and went with a sunroof as opposed to the carbon roof? Of course the carbon roof is beautiful, but I'm a sucker for having a sunroof and fresh air driving. I was tempted to get an M4 Convertible for this reason, but I prefer the M3 styling. I ordered an M3 xDrive.

I am not tracking the car and never will. It's a daily driver as well. I have lots of time to change my order, but decided to get some feedback first.

Pics would be a plus...

Sorry, more searching and I found this:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=1842755

Rob
Uh, if you're a sucker for a sunroof, then just order the damn sunroof.

I did, and have zero regrets. Love all the light, and love to tilt it to let some air in without having to crack the windows.

...and I will be tracking my car.

I actually had mine wrapped with a c/f material, and now people think I actually have a c/f roof, with my moonroof. Even the dealer thought I "replaced the roof". So if you simply want the aesthetics of a c/f roof, you can have that too.

So, if you're a long time sunroof fan like me, I'd get it.

The biggest downside for me is that a sunroof G8X has a max speed of 158 mph, instead of about 180 mph with the c/f roof, due to a little less rigidity. I miss that extra top end. Don't ask me how I know. Note: At about 145 mph, the moonroof automatically closes along with the sunshade if your speed continues to climb.

Last edited by KevinGS; 12-20-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 5
nathanm4683.00
Jim B1895.00
kooft168.50
      12-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #31
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I've had a sunroof in my last few vehicles (X6, Z4, M340I, X3, Golf R)... I didn't like the sunroof on the X3 because it created a lot of wind noise to the point of being annoying to have open at 70kph+ speeds. The M340I and X6 are a lot better in that regard. The Z4 with top in place, but windows down had a lot of annoying wind buffeting like the supra owners complained about. I did not like top down driving with the sun overhead because it just got too hot in the summer. Top down was fabulous in early morning or evening though!

I sold my 2020 Z4 M40I and regret that big time. The original idea was maybe to replace my X6 40i with an M4 xDrive convertible since I can only afford 1 vehicle at this time. Now I'm sitting with an order for an M3 xDrive and no sunroof... I've fallen off tangent with what I originally wanted and I don't know if that's good or bad.

There's no rush since the order is waiting for allocation still. I really need to think about this.

Rob
I would cancel the order.
      03-18-2023, 07:36 AM   #32
Kwills3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: DG/FR M3 (patiently waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
My wife has had 3 M4 and all three have had manuals and a sunroof. we both feel a bit claustrophobic in cars without em....
Look who it is!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 08:42 AM   #33
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
What is the "feature" of it, except the looks/contrast on the lighter painted cars? On the darker ones, like black ,Tanz, etc., you don't even notice the contrast. The weight savings/lower CG is such a minor "benefit" for 99.9% of the G8x owners, it is not worth mentioning.

The Sunroof is actually a "feature" that has a purpose.
I ordered with the CF roof because it goes well with Aventurin contrast and in TX, May through October, sunroof is not usable, then again December through March...
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      03-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #34
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Uh, if you're a sucker for a sunroof, then just order the damn sunroof.

I did, and have zero regrets. Love all the light, and love to tilt it to let some air in without having to crack the windows.

...and I will be tracking my car.

I actually had mine wrapped with a c/f material, and now people think I actually have a c/f roof, with my moonroof. Even the dealer thought I "replaced the roof". So if you simply want the aesthetics of a c/f roof, you can have that too.

So, if you're a long time sunroof fan like me, I'd get it.

The biggest downside for me is that a sunroof G8X has a max speed of 158 mph, instead of about 180 mph with the c/f roof, due to a little less rigidity. I miss that extra top end. Don't ask me how I know. Note: At about 145 mph, the moonroof automatically closes along with the sunshade if your speed continues to climb.
Question regarding your CF wrapped roof….did they leave the shark fin body color? Or, was the shark fin somehow also wrapped? I’ve heard that’s the issue with trying to wrap the roof after the fact….the fin doesn’t wrap well. I’m considering the same thing fyi….
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #35
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

Waiting on my Toronto red with sunroof and SS insides. I use it all the time.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      03-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #36
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

Sunroof for me. Not planning on tracking. Not insanely obsessed with carbon fiber like some people are.. it’s nice don’t get me wrong. I went with carbon fiber trim and the carbon fiber exterior pack, but I feel like some people would order the entire car in carbon fiber if they could. I’m also coming from a G83, so I gotta have a little fresh air coming in every now and then!
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      03-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #37
thecakeisalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 G80x

Having had sunroofs or glass roofs on my last 4 cars, spec-ing a sunroof was a no brainer. Don’t care for carbon exterior bits here except maybe the front intakes, but there was no way to spec those separately.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #38
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

If I were you I wouldn’t even think twice and I’d order the sunroof.

I ordered the carbon roof as I love the look of it, especially with SSG.

Even though the top of the car is the last place you want to add weight, unless you are going to track the car all the time and are looking to gain every tenth of a second you can, it doesn’t matter at all.

Get the sunroof.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #39
CigarManNY
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

No sunroof for me.

I'm bald.

Case closed
      03-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #40
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Carbon roof helps with lower center of gravity, chassis rigidity and the absolute coolness factor. Given it's also one of the few ways it distinguishes the car visually from the regular 3/4 series, it's a complete no-brainer. I thought I'd miss the moonroof but I never do. The carbon weave though, every time I see the car -- chef's kiss.
DO4441408.50
Psychos1s523.50
      03-18-2023, 02:55 PM   #41
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Carbon roof helps with lower center of gravity, chassis rigidity and the absolute coolness factor. Given it's also one of the few ways it distinguishes the car visually from the regular 3/4 series, it's a complete no-brainer. I thought I'd miss the moonroof but I never do. The carbon weave though, every time I see the car -- chef's kiss.
1) g20 has the option for the CF roof
2) the g80 is completely different and distinguishable from the g20: front, hips, rear, wheels - everything is different… roof cannot even be seen unless you’re standing next to it…
Appreciate 1
The Nerd425.50
      03-18-2023, 03:20 PM   #42
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
1) g20 has the option for the CF roof
Not in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
2) the g80 is completely different and distinguishable from the g20: front, hips, rear, wheels - everything is different… roof cannot even be seen unless you’re standing next to it…
You can definitely see the roof on the G82 clearly from behind and from the front in another sedan. It's super obvious in almost every situation unless you're lying flat on the ground next to it I guess.

You can also see it on the G80 just fine - as evidenced by the thousands of posts and dashcam videos on Instagram and YouTube.

I don't know - while I know the differences, I'd automatically associate seeing the colored roof with the moonroof with a regular 3 series. And when I see the other parts from behind, I'd scrutinize for a few seconds whether it's a franken build of a poseur 3 series first before coming to a conclusion. Even then it always feels like looking at a "diluted" car to me. Carbon roof = part of being an authentic pure-bred M in my mind, but to each their own.
DO4441408.50
Jobe10176.50
      03-18-2023, 04:03 PM   #43
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

The reason I did not is because you actually get a lot more room in the cabin without the sunroof.

I never used it anyway.
Had it in my 340i, literally never used it.

A fair amount more space in the CF roof cars, cabin feels bigger.
Appreciate 1
kjx3197.00
      03-18-2023, 04:22 PM   #44
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Not in the US.

You can definitely see the roof on the G82 clearly from behind and from the front in another sedan. It's super obvious in almost every situation unless you're lying flat on the ground next to it I guess.

You can also see it on the G80 just fine - as evidenced by the thousands of posts and dashcam videos on Instagram and YouTube.

I don't know - while I know the differences, I'd automatically associate seeing the colored roof with the moonroof with a regular 3 series. And when I see the other parts from behind, I'd scrutinize for a few seconds whether it's a franken build of a poseur 3 series first before coming to a conclusion. Even then it always feels like looking at a "diluted" car to me. Carbon roof = part of being an authentic pure-bred M in my mind, but to each their own.
Wow, so important to be different from G20!
You really spend any time thinking if the G80 is real or someone is posing?
And then…makes you feel great that it is a real one, or…?

The point I am trying to make is sunroof has the functionality, the CF has zero functionality for 99% of us. What you are describing above is totally irrelevant to me, I can care less if someone is posing or driving a real G80.

1% would benefit if slightly lower CG on track and slightly more headroom without (open) sunroof!
Appreciate 0