Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-25-2023, 03:17 AM   #1
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Anyone running DS2500?

Is anyone running the DS2500 on a G80/G82? If so, what are your street and track impressions, especially compared to OEM pads?

I've heard they're good dual-duty pads, but this car is also really heavy with a lot of power, so it probably pushes the limits of a pad like this, but then again the OE pads haven't been amazing on track for me either. I don't want to go with full race pads since I still daily the car, so I'm looking for the most reasonable compromise.

I believe the product codes are FCP5301H on the front and FCP4381H on the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 03:23 AM   #2
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Go EBC Bluestuff for dual purpose pads. They are a lot better than the DS2500s. Im running EBC Yellowstuff for street use and their stopping power is considerably greater than OEM. Makes less squealing as well (still squeals a little bit but nowhere near as bad as OEM) and dusts less (the dust is also super easy to wash off).
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1140.00
      03-25-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Go EBC Bluestuff for dual purpose pads. They are a lot better than the DS2500s. Im running EBC Yellowstuff for street use and their stopping power is considerably greater than OEM. Makes less squealing as well (still squeals a little bit but nowhere near as bad as OEM) and dusts less (the dust is also super easy to wash off).
I'm seeing a lot of mixed feedback for the EBC blues. There are a good number of folks that have said it did not stand up to track use. Seems like on the street/track scale, they lean a bit too far on the street side. Especially worried given the weight + horsepower of the G8X.

Also considering more track-focused pads like the carbotech XP10/XP12, so if anyone has used those I'd appreciate some feedback as well.
      03-26-2023, 08:39 PM   #4
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
I'm seeing a lot of mixed feedback for the EBC blues. There are a good number of folks that have said it did not stand up to track use. Seems like on the street/track scale, they lean a bit too far on the street side. Especially worried given the weight + horsepower of the G8X.

Also considering more track-focused pads like the carbotech XP10/XP12, so if anyone has used those I'd appreciate some feedback as well.
The EBC Yellowstuff is more comparable with the Ds2500s and I feel on these pads for spirited street driving or canyon runs, the fade can start building up.

The Bluestuff is definitely better than the DS2500s as they have a friction co-efficient of 0.52 nearly all across the temperature range. DS2500s has a peak of 0.4 and drops down as the temperature climbs. The Bluestuff has more metallic content so the brake dust would be similar to OEM as well. Even from cold, they bite really well and are comparable to the Ferodo DS1.11s.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 03:30 PM   #5
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Go EBC Bluestuff for dual purpose pads. They are a lot better than the DS2500s.
What data are you basing this statement on, or is this just your personal opinion based on your own car? We have many, many thousands of extremely satisfied Ferodo DS2500 customers in North America, across an enormous range of vehicles (everything from Miata, to GT3, to GT-R, and everything in between). From what we've seen, they are the best dual-purpose pad available at any price, anywhere in the world. That is based on testing performed on a brake dynomometer at our facility, and our data shows that the DS2500 trounces most other pads of similar type in max operating temp/fade resistance. It also has excellent road manners, such as low noise.

As a general rule, DS2500 tends to be far more stout than OEM pads. They typically have a much higher max operating temperature than OEM pads and are much more fade-resistant.

Below is a detailed article I wrote on the current most popular Ferodo Racing pad compounds:

Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?

There are many variables that determine just how much brake pad you need for your situation, and the situation is different for every car, every driver, every track, and every situation. There is no one single solution that works for everyone. A brake setup one person may find perfectly adequate...the next driver may burn down in the three laps on his car, under the conditions in which he is driving it. Some factors that determine how much heat you'll need to deal with in your brake system:

Driving skill/style (hard or easy on brakes)
Track layout- tracks vary tremendously in how much heat they pour into the brakes
Number of consecutive laps
Speed reached at the end of each straight (related to corner exit speed and horsepower)
Tire size
Tire compound
Suspension setup/alignment (how much rubber is being put on the track)
Brake Disc size
Brake Disc number of vanes/airflow capacity

Generally speaking for the G8x M3, I would characterize the DS2500 as more of a sport pad than a track pad. It will almost certainly perform better than OEM on track (we have yet to see an OEM perform better), but it does have its limitations on a vehicle this heavy and powerful.

For example, if you were going to run your G8x M3 on an easy braking track, on street tires, and you tend to be easy on your brakes, I wouldn't expect any issues. However, if you tend to be hard on brakes, are running R Compound tires, and plan to tackle Watkins Glen or Road America, I would absolutely suggest one of Ferodo's more heavy duty compounds. Unfortunately, the other Ferodo compounds aren't available just yet...something we are working on.

You can find the Ferodo DS2500 (along with our other brake solutions) on our site here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...pound%20Brakes)
Appreciate 1
stormlv928.00
      03-28-2023, 02:38 AM   #6
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
What data are you basing this statement on, or is this just your personal opinion based on your own car? We have many, many thousands of extremely satisfied Ferodo DS2500 customers in North America, across an enormous range of vehicles (everything from Miata, to GT3, to GT-R, and everything in between). From what we've seen, they are the best dual-purpose pad available at any price, anywhere in the world. That is based on testing performed on a brake dynomometer at our facility, and our data shows that the DS2500 trounces most other pads of similar type in max operating temp/fade resistance. It also has excellent road manners, such as low noise.

As a general rule, DS2500 tends to be far more stout than OEM pads. They typically have a much higher max operating temperature than OEM pads and are much more fade-resistant.

Below is a detailed article I wrote on the current most popular Ferodo Racing pad compounds:

Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?

There are many variables that determine just how much brake pad you need for your situation, and the situation is different for every car, every driver, every track, and every situation. There is no one single solution that works for everyone. A brake setup one person may find perfectly adequate...the next driver may burn down in the three laps on his car, under the conditions in which he is driving it. Some factors that determine how much heat you'll need to deal with in your brake system:

Driving skill/style (hard or easy on brakes)
Track layout- tracks vary tremendously in how much heat they pour into the brakes
Number of consecutive laps
Speed reached at the end of each straight (related to corner exit speed and horsepower)
Tire size
Tire compound
Suspension setup/alignment (how much rubber is being put on the track)
Brake Disc size
Brake Disc number of vanes/airflow capacity

Generally speaking for the G8x M3, I would characterize the DS2500 as more of a sport pad than a track pad. It will almost certainly perform better than OEM on track (we have yet to see an OEM perform better), but it does have its limitations on a vehicle this heavy and powerful.

For example, if you were going to run your G8x M3 on an easy braking track, on street tires, and you tend to be easy on your brakes, I wouldn't expect any issues. However, if you tend to be hard on brakes, are running R Compound tires, and plan to tackle Watkins Glen or Road America, I would absolutely suggest one of Ferodo's more heavy duty compounds. Unfortunately, the other Ferodo compounds aren't available just yet...something we are working on.

You can find the Ferodo DS2500 (along with our other brake solutions) on our site here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...pound%20Brakes)
Basing my statement on two factors: my personal experience with my old F80 M3 and my current Lotus Exige 410 Sport, and the brake friction co-efficient rated for the pads.

DS2500s are a great pad but they are not better in braking performance than EBC Bluestuff. EBC Bluestuff is comparable to Ferodo DS1.11s. Both of those pads have a brake friction co-efficient of 0.52 across a wide temperature range. The DS2500s peak at 0.4 and drops from there as the brake temperatures climb. Same with the EBC Yellowstuff which are comparable with the DS2500s, they also peak at 0.4ish and drop as the brake temperatures climb. Then even looking at strictly track pads, we can see that EBC Orangestuff has similar brake friction co-efficients to the Ferodo DSUNOs.

I have tested EBC Bluestuff and Ferodo Ds1.11s on my old F80 M3 (which had m2 competition 2NH BBK) and I can state from my personal experience that the Bluestuff is marginally better than the DS1.11s on cold bite, and the DS1.11s has better brake fade resistance and performance when they get really hot. I feel the same when I tried them both out in my Lotus Exige Sport 410. I have yet to try the DS2500s on the G80 M3 but I can assume that they would be very similar to the Yellowstuff that I am currently running.

On my old F80, EBC Yellowstuff and Ferodo DS2500s are very similarly matched and I can't decipher any differences between the two (maybe that the DS2500s has a little more brake dust than the Yellowstuff) I can recommend both EBC Yellowstuff and DS2500s for anyone who wants dual purpose pads (light track usage).

Since the OP was asking for suggestions on a dual purpose pad that can withstand a bit heavier track usage, I recommended the Bluestuff because I feel that that pad is more street-friendly mainly due to its superior cold bite as compared the DS1.11s, and that it is a very capable moderate track usage pad as well
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:34 AM   #7
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

I'm 99.9% Sure the OEM pads on the GT Performance Pack Mustang 6P Brembos were Ferodo DS2500's. They had excellent stopping power and didn't fade at Road Atlanta the 2 times I was on track there, and they never, ever squealed. Brake dust was just as bad as G8X OEM, if not a little worse, but I'd swap them out if I could get the brakes to make no noise like they were on my mustang.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 06:33 AM   #8
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I'm 99.9% Sure the OEM pads on the GT Performance Pack Mustang 6P Brembos were Ferodo DS2500's. They had excellent stopping power and didn't fade at Road Atlanta the 2 times I was on track there, and they never, ever squealed. Brake dust was just as bad as G8X OEM, if not a little worse, but I'd swap them out if I could get the brakes to make no noise like they were on my mustang.
Yep many car manufacturers use the DS2500s as their OE pads. I know my Lotus also uses DS2500s from factory. EBC Yellowstuff and DS2500s are identical in braking performance, the former has less brake dust and is a lot easier to clean off (light hosing down and they are gone). The DS2500s brake dust gets quite literally impregnated onto the wheels, it gets bothersome to clean them off just like the G8X Oe pads
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 08:56 PM   #9
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

I run them for the street and auto x on my s2000 and rx8. Amazing feel, quiet, quick to heat up and decent on dust. Track use is ok with heat management on 200tw tires; they dont stop working all at once. I plan on run them on the m3 unless I buy easier to clean wheels.

I can’t compare the dust to many other street pads, but I’ll say the m3 needs the wheels washed 3x more often than the body and the other cars are the opposite.

Buy with confidence, im picky.
Appreciate 1
ember.m4257.00