BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-24-2023, 03:57 PM   #1
Emtoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C Buyer

Does the M4 CSL have ASD fake engine sound and do we expect the G80 M3 CS to have it

Does the M4 CSL have ASD fake engine sound and do we expect the G80 M3 CS to have it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #2
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
It does, in spades compared to my X5M. It even has what sounds like fake drone. I coded ASD off using Bimmercode and just got back from a 2 hour canyon blast. It is much much better. The burbles from the real exhaust are pretty loud in Sport+ that I question why they felt the need to make ASD so pronounced. Oh, I do have catless DPs so that accentuates the natural sounds. With ASD coded out and the button off, the car is very quiet. Button on and in Sport+ it is amazing with the Ti rear box and no (or very little) ASD.

Regarding the CS, you have a different environment with full back seats so not sure how much of my observations will translate, but just regarding fake ASD CS buyers should expect the worst (unless you are into that sort of thing). I'm convinced BMW is on a campaign to condition the masses using ASD for future hybrid/EV models.

Last edited by Hit_Apex; 03-24-2023 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
Emtoo370.50
lovesm3s127.00
      03-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
lovesm3s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
It does, in spades compared to my X5M. It even has what sounds like fake drone. I coded ASD off using Bimmercode and just got back from a 2 hour canyon blast. It is much much better. The burbles from the real exhaust are pretty loud in Sport+ that I question why they felt the need to make ASD so pronounced. Oh, I do have catless DPs so that accentuates the natural sounds. With ASD coded out and the button off, the car is very quiet. Button on and in Sport+ it is amazing with the Ti rear box and no (or very little) ASD.

Regarding the CS, you have a different environment with full back seats so not sure how much of my observations will translate, but just regarding fake ASD CS buyers should expect the worst (unless you are into that sort of thing). I'm convinced BMW is on a campaign to condition the masses using ASD for future hybrid/EV models.
What downpipe did you go with?

The CSL may be the first car I left the ASD on for now to experience it as it was intended. Still breaking in but it doesn't sound as annoying as other cars. I plan on taking it out.
      03-24-2023, 05:54 PM   #4
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:

They didn’t put it in f8x CS but they did with current gen? Lmao
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 06:00 PM   #5
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
They didn’t put it in f8x CS but they did with current gen? Lmao
I don't know how old you are - probably young enough to eventually own a performance EV with augmented audio (and potentially enjoy) before your death. Progress? That is certainly arguable. Will augmented audio be standard and expected in the future? Undoubtedly yes.

Not so subtle reminder how long it's been since the F8x CS was designed.
      03-24-2023, 06:14 PM   #6
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how old you are - probably young enough to eventually own a performance EV with augmented audio (and potentially enjoy) before your death. Progress? That is certainly arguable. Will augmented audio be standard and expected in the future? Undoubtedly yes.
Old enough not to let you know my age.

Old enough to know anyone who can afford to buy these cars will potentially be petrol heads/serious BMW enthusiasts and will NOT want BMW to input augmented sound into a car essentially built for the track with a barely road legal chassis. It’s just fake and not appreciated. Hence you deleted it 🤭

I certainly don’t want it in my g80 CS that I have on order, and was very comforting to BMW deleting it out of the f8x CS.

AND dude seriously, are you saying BMW took a step in the right direction by implementing fake sound in the CSL to gear up for EV’s? I hope not 🤭 Maybe they can save that for the next M5 hybrid V8

if you seriously think all EV’s will be making ICE engine sounds coming out of their speakers 30/40 years down the line, I highly doubt it! Maybe short term, yes. Our generation will die out and the next will not appreciate an ICE engine as we once did.
Appreciate 4
Hit_Apex2369.00
PipeM3196.00
Joachim328.00
      03-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #7
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesm3s View Post
What downpipe did you go with?

The CSL may be the first car I left the ASD on for now to experience it as it was intended. Still breaking in but it doesn't sound as annoying as other cars. I plan on taking it out.
I love that you made this comment. That should be the default setting until you experience the need to change it. I blame years of track time, time trials and club racing, for shaping my preferences. I need a visceral, organic driving experience to feel safe pushing the limits in a machine with this level of potential. That's just how my skills developed and how I'm calibrated. While the laws of physics have not changed, performance has grown exponentially and so have the consequences for error. You need to feel confident behind the wheel. If ASD supplements that, don't change a thing. If years of Gran Turismo has prepared you for augmented communication with the physical world, than exploit it. Everyone is different, just because an old track junky says ASD sucks, doesn't mean it is wrong for you.

Last edited by Hit_Apex; 03-24-2023 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
lovesm3s127.00
holmar888289.00
      03-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #8
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
AND dude seriously, are you saying BMW took a step in the right direction by implementing fake sound in the CSL to gear up for EV’s? I hope not
No I hate everything about it. I do believe BMW has become increasingly lazy with their implementation of special models. If not lazy, than overridden by their bean counters to change too many aspects. I am still bugged they couldn't at least upload a CSL picture into MyGarage. I've been staring at a 320d with 'photo not available' for 9 months. Don't get me started on the rushed and poorly executed ordering protocols dealers were/are expected to comply with for the CSL/CS. This lack of thoughtfulness on current special models is a reflection of what the culture has become. It's a marketing exercise where the engineers come second but I do believe they fought hard along the way. I'm not bitter about the end product though. The CSL is extremely impressive - there is just some cheese that needs to be trimmed.
      03-24-2023, 06:48 PM   #9
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I hate everything about it. I do believe BMW has become increasingly lazy with their implementation of special models. If not lazy, than overridden by their bean counters to change too many aspects. I am still bugged they couldn't at least upload a CSL picture into MyGarage. I've been staring at a 320d with 'photo not available' for 9 months. Don't get me started on the rushed and poorly executed ordering protocols dealers were/are expected to comply with for the CSL/CS. This lack of thoughtfulness on current special models is a reflection of what the culture has become. It's a marketing exercise where the engineers come second but I do believe they fought hard along the way. I'm not bitter about the end product though. The CSL is extremely impressive - there is just some cheese that needs to be trimmed.
Okay good, we’re on the same page. I though for a second we weren’t!

I agree with everything you’ve said. Here in the U.K we weren’t even allowed to pick the colour of our paint, only the brakes and wheels. Secondly, a lot of our dealers didn’t even know the process of ordering for the CS. A lot are still taking orders believe it or not and there has only been 75 cars allocated. No more is coming. Only the dealers who were allocated the stock know the deal. I feel sorry for all the people who still think they can get one and are parting with money only to be told 3/4 weeks later they can’t get one when their dealer is finally up to date on the situation. The process is broken. It’s flawed. It’s unacceptable. Especially for a company like BMW who’s new adopted price point should warrant some class and customer focus. They do make fantastic cars although with some flaws, but nothing can be perfect, but there is still something about them that you say is “lazy”.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2369.00
      03-24-2023, 07:30 PM   #10
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
I love that you made this comment. That should be the default setting until you experience the need to change it. I blame years of track time, time trials and club racing, for shaping my preferences. I need a visceral, organic driving experience to feel safe pushing the limits in a machine with this level of potential. That's just how my skills developed and how I'm calibrated. While the laws of physics have not changed, performance has grown exponentially and so have the consequences for error. You need to feel confident behind the wheel. If ASD supplements that, don't change a thing. If years of Gran Turismo has prepared you for augmented communication with the physical world, than exploit it. Everyone is different, just because an old track junky says ASD sucks, doesn't mean it is wrong for you.
I think the main purpose of ASD is to excite the NPC crowd (excuse the term), for ppl who don't know much how a car works and are mostly looking for instant thrills investing the least amount of effort, hence the direction towards cost cutting measures that feel or give the impression of being more advanced and accessible but are not. Thinking of the big id8 screen and the ZF8 here.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 3
Hit_Apex2369.00
RugbyBro7601.50
lovesm3s127.00
      03-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #11
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Why would a fully EV make fake ICE sounds? If anything the full EV should make fake spaceship warp drive sounds or some Tron techno type shit.
Appreciate 3
wavyyyy1045.50
      03-24-2023, 08:53 PM   #12
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Why would a fully EV make fake ICE sounds? If anything the full EV should make fake spaceship warp drive sounds or some Tron techno type shit.
The takeaway is conditioning to fake sound. It would be weird to start with millennium falcon on a pure ICE car.
      03-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #13
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
The i4 with iconic sound actually makes noises like that in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #14
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb View Post
The i4 with iconic sound actually makes noises like that in sport mode.
iconic sound? Is that a BMW option? 🤭🤭
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 10:36 PM   #15
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Posted this in the track chat thread but here’s what unfiltered S58 sounds like ripping around VIR. Shows how incredibly synthetic the street car induction noise is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
NPC
I quite literally spat my food out
PLF693766.00
LuckyBrand1296.00
      03-25-2023, 07:20 AM   #16
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Yeah I can get on board with that!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 05:07 PM   #17
kbb
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 24' M3cs, 23' 911 GTS

Quote:
iconic sound? Is that a BMW option? 🤭🤭
Yes. It’s standard on the i4 M50.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 11:06 PM   #18
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

I really hate that this might be true. Fake noise, awful. Love that my f80 CS doesn't have it. Was really hoping that they kept if of like all the previous CS models
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 11:07 PM   #19
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post

Yeah I can get on board with that!
What transmission are they using in the race car? Can't be the zf?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 04:01 AM   #20
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Yeah not sure. I'm sure it's not stock and beefed up no matter what is used.
      03-26-2023, 04:22 AM   #21
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

ASD; I hate the idea but love the implementation.

After living with a straight-piped NA mid-engine V8 that revs to 9000RPM and pumps out 130dB at full throttle, pretty much the pinnacle of street car exhaust sound inside and out, I must concede that I enjoy a well-done simulated sound experience without all the headaches (literally and figuratively) that come with aftermarket exhaust hardware. Fumes, neighbors, CEL, smog checks, police attention, warranty.

Doing it “for real” is obviously better, but I’m totally OK with ASD. For now, at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #22
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
No way. I believe it is an Xtrac sequential box.