BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-20-2023, 01:54 PM   #67
randomjohn
Rep
Drives: C43

I went for the 3rd option aka soft top

Partly because I wanted it, but moreover the waitlist for G82cx seemed like forever…but if I were to get a coupe this would be a tough choice. I personally like sunroof, as it keeps the cabin more brighter, although CF certainly wins with exterior coolness.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #68
BigRedG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I had sunroofs on my last three BMWs and I love having it. However, the G80 will be my first M car and I love the the look of the CF roof. I really want the CF roof so no sunroof this time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:25 PM   #69
TomzBmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18x5-11z4-23m3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [9.83]
2011 BMW Z4 3.0  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
My M3CX is my first car in 30 years without a sunroof and I don’t miss it, but I have other vehicles with them and an older Z4 hardtop convertible if I need wind in my thinning hair. For me, it was the beautiful contrast with SSG, my carbon fiber exterior package and brighter full KO interior that swayed me to not pick the sunroof. I wouldn’t stick my nose up if I passed another G8x with their sunroof open.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #70
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomjohn View Post
I went for the 3rd option aka soft top

Partly because I wanted it, but moreover the waitlist for G82cx seemed like forever…but if I were to get a coupe this would be a tough choice. I personally like sunroof, as it keeps the cabin more brighter, although CF certainly wins with exterior coolness.

You got the ultimate sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 06:02 PM   #71
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

Love the CF roof after having had a sunroof my last 4 cars. My main reason for previously having them is I’ve usually had black interiors and it really lightens it up with the sunroof. But since I got KO on the inside it’s plenty bright. I rarely opened it to let the wind in, more just for light.

IMO light colours that contrast with the CF look awesome. Dark exteriors less so. For the interior if its also dark, it might be worth going with the sunroof to have it feel lighter and open. Of course it’s your preference in the end no matter what any of us say. But I sure do love the oook of PB with a CF roof.😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Joachim326.50
      03-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #72
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Mine with sunroof. I didn't want another convertible and my wife wanted some way to open the roof. I would have ordered the sunroof anyway, as having a fixed roof is a waste, IMO. I like form and function in my fun cars, and a carbon fiber roof has no function.
      03-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #73
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Mine with sunroof. I didn't want another convertible and my wife wanted some way to open the roof. I would have ordered the sunroof anyway, as having a fixed roof is a waste, IMO. I like form and function in my fun cars, and a carbon fiber roof has no function.
Regardless of your opinion, the carbon fiber roof has both form and function.

Function: to reduce weight and lower the car's center of gravity
Form: to look badass
      03-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #74
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

If it had a pano roof, I'd have gone for it no question. The opening is kinda small that I went with CF roof
      03-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #75
achawla10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2019 BMW m850  [0.00]
I went with sunroof and glad I did! I have purple so now more of the car is purple. On the inside , the increase in amount of sunlight is really nice.
I’m only a few days in but very happy with my decision
Appreciate 1
kooft168.50
      03-21-2023, 03:59 PM   #76
TheFwed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 xdrive Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by achawla10 View Post
I went with sunroof and glad I did! I have purple so now more of the car is purple. On the inside , the increase in amount of sunlight is really nice.
I’m only a few days in but very happy with my decision
I also went with sunroof. Looks nice with Skyscraper gray and I really like the additional light.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:22 PM   #77
beden1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmann View Post
Regardless of your opinion, the carbon fiber roof has both form and function.

Function: to reduce weight and lower the car's center of gravity
Form: to look badass
You "may" only notice the lower center of gravity if on a racetrack, whereas a sunroof has an actual noticeable function. My personal feeling is the carbon fiber look has been overused for a while now, so "badass" may just actually look bad!
CoonsA208.50
m.dreamin1608.00
      03-21-2023, 07:43 PM   #78
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
You "may" only notice the lower center of gravity if on a racetrack, whereas a sunroof has an actual noticeable function. My personal feeling is the carbon fiber look has been overused for a while now, so "badass" may just actually look bad!
Obviously the aesthetics are subjective, though I’d venture to guess you’re in the minority to say it looks bad. What I was pointing out was that it’s totally incorrect to say there’s no function. If you take a pill to lower you cholesterol, you might not notice it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t functional.
      03-23-2023, 06:46 AM   #79
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Obviously the aesthetics are subjective, though I’d venture to guess you’re in the minority to say it looks bad. What I was pointing out was that it’s totally incorrect to say there’s no function. If you take a pill to lower you cholesterol, you might not notice it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t functional.
Not sure the same is applicable. If you do not notice the cholesterol level change with the pill you’re taking, doctor will most certainly switch the meds to another pill that actually does something to the number.

Driving two G8x, one with, one without, side by side, every day driving, city, highway, even track (for most of us) will have absolutely no noticeable differences in performance, i.e. lower CG and a few lbs lighter setup. It is all about the “coolness” of the CF. The sunroof option has the function. I am glad that BMW is offering both options for those that prefer the functionality of the sunroof
Appreciate 1
beden1511.00
      03-23-2023, 10:28 AM   #80
brinkmann
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M2C View Post
Not sure the same is applicable. If you do not notice the cholesterol level change with the pill you’re taking, doctor will most certainly switch the meds to another pill that actually does something to the number.

Driving two G8x, one with, one without, side by side, every day driving, city, highway, even track (for most of us) will have absolutely no noticeable differences in performance, i.e. lower CG and a few lbs lighter setup. It is all about the “coolness” of the CF. The sunroof option has the function. I am glad that BMW is offering both options for those that prefer the functionality of the sunroof
I think you're actually highlighting why the analogy is applicable. The difference in cholesterol is measurable, not noticeable in the sense that you'd say "oh, wow, my cholesterol feels lower!" Yes, a different course of action would be prudent if the pill didn't lower the level, but you'd have to do a blood test to determine this. Similarly, the weight savings from the carbon roof is measurable, not necessarily something one (an average driver) would notice under normal circumstances.
      03-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #81
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think you're actually highlighting why the analogy is applicable. The difference in cholesterol is measurable, not noticeable in the sense that you'd say "oh, wow, my cholesterol feels lower!" Yes, a different course of action would be prudent if the pill didn't lower the level, but you'd have to do a blood test to determine this. Similarly, the weight savings from the carbon roof is measurable, not necessarily something one (an average driver) would notice under normal circumstances.
True, however, the weight savings are less than 0.5% with the CF roof.
The Cholesterol measurement with effective medicine should be much more significant.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:41 AM   #82
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Love the CF roof after having had a sunroof my last 4 cars. My main reason for previously having them is I’ve usually had black interiors and it really lightens it up with the sunroof. But since I got KO on the inside it’s plenty bright. I rarely opened it to let the wind in, more just for light.

IMO light colours that contrast with the CF look awesome. Dark exteriors less so. For the interior if its also dark, it might be worth going with the sunroof to have it feel lighter and open. Of course it’s your preference in the end no matter what any of us say. But I sure do love the oook of PB with a CF roof.😉
Damn, that PB looks like San Marino in that picture, really awesome!
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #83
static_void
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Competition xDrive

Sunroof here! Love it and wouldn't have it any other way. It's such an enjoyable feature for me, although I do love the way the carbon roof looks. Popping/tilting the sunroof open is one of my favorite things to do and reminds me of my dad's BMWs when I was growing up. He would always drive his E34 and E46 that way and I just grew to love the look. The car is fast enough. I'm not chasing hundredths of a second around any tracks so I am happy with my choice and use it essentially daily - even in the cold.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
OtoPA376.00
Allerum311.00
tju213.50
BuckysBMW171.50