BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-22-2023, 02:44 AM   #133
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

I saw a video the other day on the new Ferrari Purosangue, they’ve realised that as most people use CarPlay or android, there’s no need to install a sat nav in the car at all. With fully customisable widgets and apps, this makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:43 AM   #134
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
I saw a video the other day on the new Ferrari Purosangue, they’ve realised that as most people use CarPlay or android, there’s no need to install a sat nav in the car at all. With fully customisable widgets and apps, this makes a lot of sense.
Fine until you run out of cellphone service … which I do in the mountains
Appreciate 1
lfdal541008.00
      03-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #135
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Android + wild west = good luck with that! BTW IMO Android sucks and not safe. BMW has seriously gone to hell.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 06:14 PM   #136
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF90M5C View Post
To be honest, I kinda hate AA and CP. I don’t like having what looks like my phone on the screen of my car.
Thankfully iDrive 8 is good looking!
Appreciate 1
Davesrb184.00
      03-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #137
sfi4
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered), Polestar 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
No, ID9 is the future with BMW having already talked about the commitment to Android moving forward.

If anything, X1 is getting it first so BMW can use lower end buyers as guinea pigs before potentially angering all of their buyers.
Honestly I think it'll be a while before we're missing much. My understanding from all of this is that, at least initially, the UX will be nearly identical between the two, but with different underpinning operating systems.

Having used Android Automotive OS in our Polestar, honestly it's kind of a dog right now. It's great to have Google Maps and a real voice assistant, but it's not clear whether or when BMW is going to take advantage of these (and its assistant is not bad, if not yet incredible). Other than that, I've found it to be pretty buggy and with nowhere near the functionality of iDrive 8. Sometimes it freezes or crashes entirely, and I've had cases where it's taken out even basic functions that have been run through AAOS, like turn signal sounds. The app store may as well not be there — don't expect Android Auto levels of participation from developers for the moment.

There's lots that AAOS can theoretically offload from BMW and handle on its own, but I'm not sure you really want it to yet. By the time a lease ends... maybe.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 02:51 PM   #138
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Android + wild west = good luck with that! BTW IMO Android sucks and not safe. BMW has seriously gone to hell.
You realize that iDrive 9 is based on Android right? 95% of mobile phones in the world use Android. Apple BTW is based on Unix OS, it's just a template on top of the OS.

Do you use Apple maps? Apple search? Apple is a marketing company, really good, but far from being a top notch technology company.

I think BMW after not supporting Android initially, they saw their mistake and turned that decision around. Now they are basing the whole iDrive platform on Android OS!

Last edited by walketed; 06-19-2023 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joachim317.50
      06-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #139
Minieggs
Registered
Rep
Drives: Golf R32

Any more news on next generation Apple CarPlay? I was supposed to be in cars this autumn
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #140
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
You realize that iDrive 9 is based on Android right? 95% of mobile phones in the world use Android. Apple BTW is based on Unix OS, it's just a template on top of the OS.

Do you use Apple maps? Apple search? Apple is a marketing company, really good, but far from being a top notch technology company.

I think BMW after not supporting Android initially, they saw their mistake and turned that decision around. Now they are basing the whole iDrive platform on Android OS!

1) Using Apple Car play you can still use google maps.

2) As per automotive operation systems, it is a fight between linux (tesla is using it) & Android Automotive (GM/Ford and almost all Chinese car companies), it is extremely hard for a car manufacturer to maintain an in-house automotive OS, it's all about the community and their eco systems.

A universal android automotive operation system has great benefits/advantage to smaller car manufacturers but it makes decisions even harder for bigger names, so they will have to support both in quite long time which doubles their efforts and costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 03:07 PM   #141
epr73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post

Apple maps has actually gotten pretty nice. Also I have yet to come across any other ecosystem that does continuity as well as apple. All my apple devices do such amazing things together that I want that continuity experience to flow into my car.

I really dont care about the OS because I am curating and perfecting the content on my phone and I dont want to have another tablet device that I need to resign into everything to have things function.

Also I have a cheap $200 wireless carplay box from aliexpress I bought 4 years ago in my 15 Audi A8 tdi and I am so surprised how incredibly reliable its been. As soon as I turn on the car, 95% of the time, it doesnt fail to auto connect and brings my entire phone and nav up. Its made the car feel modern again. I really dont understand how any 2024 car doesnt have reliable carplay connections. Ive recently rented a 2023 330xi and 2023 audi a6 and both of their wireless carplay functions were garbage (audis more than bmws) Seems like oems are making their infotainments too complicated for their own good.

hopefully idrive 9 solves these issues, but really I just want better phone integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #142
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
If you include the Supra that makes it 5, it uses iDrive 6 🤯
For some reason I assumed the Supra would have the same iDrive 7 as the G29 Z4 as they are basically the same car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:58 AM   #143
Dschlosser15
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Just got 8.5 installed at the dealer because of some software issues I have been having with my 2024 X5 4.0i. Have to say the new interface is quite nice! Only thing I’d like to know how to do is rearrange the widgets in the stack. The one issue I have found is while in comfort mode with navigation set in my HUD the top 1/4 of the writing is cutoff when the directions go to a single line. This goes away when the HUD changes to full map view.

To soon to tell if my other issues have been resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 06:49 AM   #144
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschlosser15 View Post
Just got 8.5 installed at the dealer because of some software issues I have been having with my 2024 X5 4.0i. Have to say the new interface is quite nice! Only thing I’d like to know how to do is rearrange the widgets in the stack. The one issue I have found is while in comfort mode with navigation set in my HUD the top 1/4 of the writing is cutoff when the directions go to a single line. This goes away when the HUD changes to full map view.

I dont know if its possible, but try holding down on one of them ? I found that worked in the all apps menu, but never saw it documented
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #145
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschlosser15 View Post

Strange upgrade behaviour.
Here https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30378874 another X5 owner states no UI change after 8.5 upgrade.
      08-15-2023, 07:53 AM   #146
jjomaa
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I believe most people here complaining about idrive 8 have not upgraded their vehicle yet to give it a chance. It’s a lot cleaner than its predecessor. The fact that people are complaining about being distracted when interacting with the touch screen and driving are just creating controversy cause they’re bored. We all interact with our smart phones (which are touch screens and lack buttons much like most vehicles manufactured these days) while driving so what’s the difference between being distracted by your phone display and the infotainment?

As for the OTA update I can’t see why they would allow you to upgrade to 8.5 when the screens look identical even if there are hardware differs inside. A 5 year old iPhone can still upgrade to the latest OS with different outdated hardware. The only time they disallow people to update to latest OS is when they decide or the hardware becomes so outdated that the OS would not perform up to one’s standards with regards to speed and performance. Had this issue with a 2015 MacBook updated to latest OS and slow as molasses.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:57 AM   #147
tgrundke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M340xi; '16 GTI Autobahn

Garage List
2023 M340  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Fine until you run out of cellphone service … which I do in the mountains
Bingo. Lots of people forget about this. I spend a decent amount of time in mountainous areas, and unless you cache all your Google maps ahead of time, you're screwed with GPS on an iPhone in those locations.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 10:59 AM   #148
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrundke View Post
Bingo. Lots of people forget about this. I spend a decent amount of time in mountainous areas, and unless you cache all your Google maps ahead of time, you're screwed with GPS on an iPhone in those locations.
It's insane that Porsche charges you $2000+ for nav/connect and/or annual subscription. No wonder they're the most profitable car company in the world at least from an operating margin percentage. I remember when my Audi fancy maps stopped working, and they wanted an annual fee for the good-looking maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #149
gunmike1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

So I may have been BS’d, but when I picked up my week 26 build G80, which was the last week of 2023 M3 production, my CA said I had Idrive 8.5M. That seemed totally against everything I’ve read about the Idrive 8.5 roll out. The screen does look like what I see in the first post where it talks about Idrive 8.5M, but frankly I’ve never been in front of an Idrive 8 screen to even notice a difference. If I could easily check my head unit number I would know for sure, but I’m not aware of a way I’d be able to do it myself without going to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #150
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmike1 View Post
So I may have been BS’d, but when I picked up my week 26 build G80, which was the last week of 2023 M3 production, my CA said I had Idrive 8.5M. That seemed totally against everything I’ve read about the Idrive 8.5 roll out. The screen does look like what I see in the first post where it talks about Idrive 8.5M, but frankly I’ve never been in front of an Idrive 8 screen to even notice a difference. If I could easily check my head unit number I would know for sure, but I’m not aware of a way I’d be able to do it myself without going to a dealer.
Just take a photo of your Home Screen and the climate controls and share in here
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:29 PM   #151
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

Photo gallery shows a glimpse at IDrive 8.5 in its M version

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/08/16/2.../#lg=1&slide=0
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #152
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
Photo gallery shows a glimpse at IDrive 8.5 in its M version
Red button in conseles should always have a cover, to prevent inadvertently starting a nuclear war!
      08-19-2023, 04:33 AM   #153
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brezzsent View Post
i dunno i think this 8/8.5 thing is overblown to some extent till we get more actual feature detail. my guess is the back end features that run the various modules will essentially be updated equally except in cases where hardware is different, for example highway assistant capable vs older traffic jam assistant only
The UI changes in 8.5 already demonstrated are an obvious improvement over version 8, irrespective of feature updates.

I’ve tried it in the new 5 series and it’s great.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 08:06 AM   #154
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

The main thing is actually the amount architecture change from x86 to ARM.

They’ve just added a few tiny changes to the layout to give a front end justification
Appreciate 0