BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #331
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4GTS View Post
Hey folks,

I ordered an M3 xdrive in Nov 2021 but, for whatever reason, that car was never built. In the interim I decided to buy a 718 GT4 with the view that it would be shielded (to an extent) from depreciation - had that 3 months and the engine died due to what I expect to be an oil pump failure - it's at my dealer now waiting for a post-Christmas tear-down to determine root cause.

All the while, I had my BMW dealer keep an eye out for M3 xdrives and I've luckily found one in my close-to-perfect spec:

M3 drive 50 Jahre
Lime Rock Grey
Full Silverstone
Ultimate Pack

I expect to take delivery in early Jan. Will post a few pics.
What's the ultimate pack? Are you sure it's a Jahre? They only come in one interior configuration.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #332
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
What's the ultimate pack? Are you sure it's a Jahre? They only come in one interior configuration.
This is what Canada calls the Ultimate Pack:
Quote:
Ultimate Pack ( Heated Steering Wheel, Electric Bootlid, Comfort Access, M Carbon bucket seats, Driving Assistant Professional, Laserlights, Parking Assistant Plus, Driver Recorder, M Carbon Exterior )
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 02:58 AM   #333
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Looks like OP is from UK and their £11,250 ultimate package brings in Laser lights, CF package and CF bucket seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #334
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Looks like OP is from UK and their £11,250 ultimate package brings in Laser lights, CF package and CF bucket seats.
Isn’t the M3 Jahre exclusive to North America? And only options for the cars CCBs and carbon buckets?
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #335
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn’t the M3 Jahre exclusive to North America? And only options for the cars CCBs and carbon buckets?
You are right. NA received 50th Jahre M3s whereas Europe and China got 50th Jahre M4s. Not sure if OP is mixing up the information in his post.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #336
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Hi. It's only the Jahre badges, my mistake. I assumed because it was a BMW specific color, that it was. BMW UK built car. Collect on Wed!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #337
skumar55
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 4 series

What is the new M3 Competition X drive car compared to the M340i car in terms of petrol? I do 250 miles a week in the UK, mixed driving, 2 days motorway, 5 days local driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #338
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

G80X Review

I finally got a chance to test drive a G80 Xdrive Comp today after searching around a little while for a car that was used, already broken in and ready to be driven. I drove an Xdrive Comp and the salesman let me drive it pretty much in any way that I wanted so I got a very good feel for the car in a lot of different conditions. I always want to get a test drive in before ever touching an order on a car as often the car feels different in testing vs how it really is (and I am glad that I did).

Let me go ahead and just preface this by saying I came away with very mixed opinions. I was super excited about the G80 after all of the reading that I was doing, folks talking about it and just general enthusiasm for the car. Let me also say that I formerly owned an M2 Comp, often drove a family members F80 Comp and had numerous tuned sports cars in the past.

I guess to start, I’ll just go ahead and say I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. I set that car in Sport Plus Throttle, Max tranny shift mode, sport tranny, sport suspension and comfort steering (that’s my preference). I also set the car in 4WD Sport which partially disables DTC and lets DSC get a little more aggressive.

Chassis / Suspension– The car felt phenomenally well planted and almost glued to the road. We did a number of bends that I purposely accelerated into to see how the car would react and was blown away by the grip, handling and just general composure and stability of the car. As far as the negatives here – well unfortunately the car does feel a bit heavy and large… it doesn’t hide the weight as well as I thought it would. You can definitely feel you are moving next to 3900 lbs of car. That makes the car feel very isolated and almost digital… I had this consistent lack of feeling in the car… as if it’s too safe or too planted and almost like I am on rails. I hated that my m2 comp was the exact reverse of that but the M2 felt more connected and alive if that makes more sense. There was just too little drama in my opinion.

Engine / Transmission – This was the part that really confused me… the car traps 121 MPH in the ¼ mile so I know exactly what that would feel like but in some weird way, it didn’t feel that way at all. Again, I think that goes back to the isolation of the car and the way the torque curve in the S58 is so high up. The S55 in my M2 comp just felt like it had far more punch down low and you really needed to punish the S58 to feel the power but even climbing the top of the rev range and banging gears, it just didn’t feel all that fast to me. This brings me to my next point – Transmission, where are these folks that compare the DCT to the Auto? I am sorry there is no comparison. The Zf8 is an awesome gearbox but it doesn’t remotely have the drama or down shift speed of the DCT… in fact, there is significantly more hesitations during shifts up and down and the worst part is that when you floor the car, it almost feels like it stops you for a second and your head bounces forward whereas with the DCT, your head would bounce back which felt far less restrictive in terms of acceleration.

Interior / Comfort – I think the interior is fantastic – it’s an awesome blend of comfort and sportiness and the suspension is very well damped where I thought it was comfortable even in sport mode.

Overall – I think BMW created an amazing performance car but somehow someway, its missing some sort of “IT” factor, or factor of excitement where the driver is just too isolated from the experience. I never thought I’d feel this way about an M car… perhaps I should look into a RWD Comp to have more drama? Or something wilder altogether?
      05-20-2023, 06:42 PM   #339
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Overall – I think BMW created an amazing performance car but somehow someway, its missing some sort of “IT” factor, or factor of excitement where the driver is just too isolated from the experience. I never thought I’d feel this way about an M car… perhaps I should look into a RWD Comp to have more drama? Or something wilder altogether?
I sold my G80 rwd last fall for a similar reason. Its a great overall product and perfect DD but was too refined for my liking and missed the special feeling which i was expecting in the last ICE M3. I have summarized my thoughts in the first post of the below thread.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955191
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #340
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I sold my G80 rwd last fall for a similar reason. Its a great overall product and perfect DD but was too refined for my liking and missed the special feeling which i was expecting in the last ICE M3. I have summarized my thoughts in the first post of the below thread.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1955191
I read your post and agree with everything.

I think ultimately the problem is that BMW created a car that can do it all and appeals to everyone... this creates a VERY GOOD overall package but unfortunately not one singular thing that I would argue sticks out as being excellent in terms of being a performance car.

You can imagine that me coming from an F87c and jumping into the AWD model, I was EVEN more dissapointed... i'll try to find a rwd comp to drive as maybe it adds more drama but this is just simply too clinical of an experience imho... and at 90K as a fun car, I can't have that... I have an X3 for that lol.
      05-20-2023, 07:46 PM   #341
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I read your post and agree with everything.

I think ultimately the problem is that BMW created a car that can do it all and appeals to everyone... this creates a VERY GOOD overall package but unfortunately not one singular thing that I would argue sticks out as being excellent in terms of being a performance car.
Last fully ICE M3 which has a longer production run than previous M3s. I believe BMW developed this platform with a wider audience in mind so that they can milk more money and sustain it for the longer run. With the current demand and 60% first time M owners (as documented in the other thread), i would say they are spot-on on their target.

Quote:
You can imagine that me coming from an F87c and jumping into the AWD model, I was EVEN more dissapointed... i'll try to find a rwd comp to drive as maybe it adds more drama but this is just simply too clinical of an experience imho... and at 90K as a fun car, I can't have that... I have an X3 for that lol.
I would expect your comments to be similar even with G80 rwd.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10159.00
      05-21-2023, 02:48 AM   #342
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
I would expect your comments to be similar even with G80 rwd.
You guys should try an M4 CSL. When I drove the M3 Competition, I thought it was a lovely car, but I couldn’t reconcile the price with the experience. I thought it handled well, was lovely inside, sounded nice but for me something was missing.

The M4 CSL feels nothing like the standard car. If you listen to or read the reviews of it (even the negative ones) you’ll pick up on this. The chassis is way more communicative even at low speed, the steering has more feel and the transmission is excellent, I don’t know exactly what they did with it but it’s way better than the transmission I tried in the M3. Interestingly, BMW uses the transmission in their GT4 race car, so it’s undoubtedly very capable, just tuned differently for different applications.

In its more aggressive modes, it’s an absolute monster. To say it’s fast feels like a massive underrepresentation of its capability. The brakes are mighty but could have a bit less assistance (one thing that none of the UK journos mentioned and was in fact universally praised). In fact having read the reviews my biggest disappointment with the car was the brakes, not stopping power but the feel of the pedal. Anyway, once you’re into a corner the car is amazing, you can feel what’s going on at the back, the balance is beautiful. I reckon you’d both love it.

In one of the more recent EVO articles, they compare the G81 M3 to the CSL and imply that the G81 is the better car? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I think that a lot UK journos were so put out that the CSL weighs 1625KG, they forgot to asses it properly and then told their mates.

All truly great drivers cars only need to be driven a few yards to feel the exquisite quality of their damping. Porsches (especially GT cars), Lotus, Caterham, Ferrari all have this, so does the Toyota GR86 (honestly that is a magnificent driver’s car) and the CSL has it too. I simply can’t wait to take it on a track day and see what it’s really capable of.
vj1233790.00
      05-21-2023, 03:02 AM   #343
breezyrc15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4CX

If you want to make the car feel raw, there’s just a few things you need:

1. Solid monoball bushings for the front
2. Xhp flash for the transmission
3. Midpipe and/or downpipes
4 Optionally coilovers

The car transforms. Coming from a 991 GT3, I’ve never had more fun that I did with my modified G82 Competition.
Appreciate 1
F80SRT695.50
      05-21-2023, 07:01 AM   #344
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
You guys should try an M4 CSL. When I drove the M3 Competition, I thought it was a lovely car, but I couldn’t reconcile the price with the experience. I thought it handled well, was lovely inside, sounded nice but for me something was missing.

The M4 CSL feels nothing like the standard car. If you listen to or read the reviews of it (even the negative ones) you’ll pick up on this. The chassis is way more communicative even at low speed, the steering has more feel and the transmission is excellent, I don’t know exactly what they did with it but it’s way better than the transmission I tried in the M3. Interestingly, BMW uses the transmission in their GT4 race car, so it’s undoubtedly very capable, just tuned differently for different applications.

In its more aggressive modes, it’s an absolute monster. To say it’s fast feels like a massive underrepresentation of its capability. The brakes are mighty but could have a bit less assistance (one thing that none of the UK journos mentioned and was in fact universally praised). In fact having read the reviews my biggest disappointment with the car was the brakes, not stopping power but the feel of the pedal. Anyway, once you’re into a corner the car is amazing, you can feel what’s going on at the back, the balance is beautiful. I reckon you’d both love it.

In one of the more recent EVO articles, they compare the G81 M3 to the CSL and imply that the G81 is the better car? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I think that a lot UK journos were so put out that the CSL weighs 1625KG, they forgot to asses it properly and then told their mates.

All truly great drivers cars only need to be driven a few yards to feel the exquisite quality of their damping. Porsches (especially GT cars), Lotus, Caterham, Ferrari all have this, so does the Toyota GR86 (honestly that is a magnificent driver’s car) and the CSL has it too. I simply can’t wait to take it on a track day and see what it’s really capable of.
The M4 CSL is at a price point that would put me into something like a 911 Carrera GTS... which I would prefer no doubt... not that it's my price range either way.
      05-21-2023, 10:07 AM   #345
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
The M4 CSL is at a price point that would put me into something like a 911 Carrera GTS... which I would prefer no doubt... not that it's my price range either way.

I had a 997 GTS when it was new and I loved it! It’s one of the best cars I’ve owned. The CSL reminds me of that car.

I’ve also had a go in a 991.1 GTS and a 991.2 GTS, I don’t think either is as fun to drive as the 997 GTS, now it’s possible that the 992 GTS is a significant step up, in some ways I’d expect it to be given the amount of tech borrowed from the Turbo. In fact it’s the one car I’d like to have a go in to see if it’s as good as I hope it is, so I don’t blame you for wanting one over a CSL.
      05-22-2023, 06:26 AM   #346
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyrc15 View Post
If you want to make the car feel raw, there’s just a few things you need:

1. Solid monoball bushings for the front
2. Xhp flash for the transmission
3. Midpipe and/or downpipes
4 Optionally coilovers

The car transforms. Coming from a 991 GT3, I’ve never had more fun that I did with my modified G82 Competition.
I’m about to get rid of my second F82 and pick up my G80cx this week. Loved my F82s but need a 4 door AWD for family duty/winter/skiing etc etc….loss of DCT was a big one for me. Is the XHP flash worth it? Any issues with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 06:55 AM   #347
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M4 View Post
I’m about to get rid of my second F82 and pick up my G80cx this week. Loved my F82s but need a 4 door AWD for family duty/winter/skiing etc etc….loss of DCT was a big one for me. Is the XHP flash worth it? Any issues with it?
i URGE you to drive the car beforehand... if you already have and it's for you, that's fine... but it doesn't feel like an F80 gen car at all
      05-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #348
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
i URGE you to drive the car beforehand... if you already have and it's for you, that's fine... but it doesn't feel like an F80 gen car at all
I know man. I have. I’m making a compromise for the wife. The car does feel isolated and the loss of DCT is a shame. Trying to look at the positives. The interior is sweet and having AWD will be a plus for ski trips etc etc….. I haven’t had an AWD car as my own car in like 12 years. The wife has been wanting me to get a 4 door AWD car for quite some time and I’ve been resistant. It’s the best 4 door sedan on the market at the moment unless I pony up for an ///M5 which I’m not prepared to do.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10159.00
      06-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #349
Damion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: In the Market 4 G80

So I Might get crap for this but here it goes:

the g80 is not the f80 and if it was everyone would complain that there is nothing new to the car, i personally was not a BMW fan for many years, I have currently a CT5 V and before that a Hellcat and i will say i was impressed with the new G80 M3 yes it is more refined and more of a DD than a track toy, but i think we are losing the point here. ICE cars are going away and you know every manufacturer is going to do their last big boy car with all the bells and whistles.
i look at the M3/M4 base and comp as the base model of the car as we already see the M4 CSL and now the M3 CS. i think we will see one last big push of powerful ICE cars with this chassis and then all electric.

long and short= love the car for what it is and love the fact that you can change it to fit you
      06-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #350
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
So I Might get crap for this but here it goes:

the g80 is not the f80 and if it was everyone would complain that there is nothing new to the car, i personally was not a BMW fan for many years, I have currently a CT5 V and before that a Hellcat and i will say i was impressed with the new G80 M3 yes it is more refined and more of a DD than a track toy, but i think we are losing the point here. ICE cars are going away and you know every manufacturer is going to do their last big boy car with all the bells and whistles.
i look at the M3/M4 base and comp as the base model of the car as we already see the M4 CSL and now the M3 CS. i think we will see one last big push of powerful ICE cars with this chassis and then all electric.

long and short= love the car for what it is and love the fact that you can change it to fit you
Agree in general but we will have an M car heavy hybrid "transition-period" prior to all electric.
      06-07-2023, 01:36 PM   #351
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

Do you all think the G80/G82s will be the last ICE of the 3 and 4 series?

My gut says yes, but obviously that means nothing. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #352
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter2099 View Post
Do you all think the G80/G82s will be the last ICE of the 3 and 4 series?
Yes and this was officially confirmed last year.
https://www.motor1.com/news/590983/2...ustion-engine/
Appreciate 1