home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Theoskay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

Are winter tires necessary?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are winter tires necessary for my G82 Comp Xdrive?

I live in NY and this car will be my daily driver, however it won't see much snow as I also own a truck. I won't be going to the track or anything during the winter either, so are winter tires really necessary?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoskay View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are winter tires necessary for my G82 Comp Xdrive?

I live in NY and this car will be my daily driver, however it won't see much snow as I also own a truck. I won't be going to the track or anything during the winter either, so are winter tires really necessary?
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
GJBFI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 competition Xdrive

[QUOTE=Ilyam5;28299800]
Quote:

Tires aren't just for accelerating, they're also for braking and turning. Just because an AWD car has better traction does not mean it will brake faster.
Appreciate 3
MannyS357.00
pc8331.50
      11-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #4
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
If the car comes with summer tires I would not drive it at all during winter. Even on all seasons I would not push it
Appreciate 2
SintAFM208.00
      11-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

A good all-season like a ps4 a/s is actually better than a winter in cold dry and cold wet, if you're going to drive through winter but have another vehicle for snow and ice. A dedicated winter is of course the best in snow and ice. Summers are unusable in any winter condition. Tyre-reviews has lots of good data on this stuff.
Appreciate 4
Lexura314.50
par__m3451.00
MannyS357.00
      11-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:

Any temp under 39 degrees Fahrenheit is dangerous for driving on summer tires. Add wet conditions and your asking for trouble.

I had a front drive VW Corrado with summer tires. Got caught in 2 inches of snow. My car did a 180 degree spin at about 30 mph. Was very scary.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
c3j3gable
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Winter tires aren't just for snow either. Summer tires in cold, even dry, weather stiffen up and are not as useful. Winter tires are a different rubber compound and stay softer in colder weather and will provide better grip in all cold conditions. I believe all seasons are a three season tire, nothing beats a winter tire in winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Any temp under 39 degrees Fahrenheit is dangerous for driving on summer tires. Add wet conditions and your asking for trouble.

I had a front drive VW Corrado with summer tires. Got caught in 2 inches of snow. My car did a 180 degree spin at about 30 mph. Was very scary.
It also isn't binary. Summer Tires aren't happy clams at 39.1 degrees and suddenly a disaster at 38.9 degrees. They gradually become a problem as temps drop.

It's nice that modern BMW's (and other cars) give us such an easily accessed Tire Temp display. It may not be entirely accurate, but you can watch your tires take longer and longer to warm up right until you get to the point where they basically don't pick up any heat at all (or lose the heat they had when they were snug and happy in the garage).

Don't risk your car and your life (and the lives of everyone around you) to avoid spending 1200 bucks or so.

Last edited by bri1042; 11-27-2021 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post

It also isn't binary. Summer Tires aren't happy clams at 39.1 degrees and suddenly a disaster at 38.9 degrees. The gradually become a problem as temps drop.

It's nice that modern BMW's (and other cars) give us such an easily accessed Tire Temp display. It may not be entirely accurate, but you can watch your tires take longer and longer to warm up right until you get to the point where they basically don't pick up any heat at all (or lose the heat they had when they were snug and happy in the garage).

Don't risk your car and your life (and the lives of everyone around you) to avoid spending 1200 bucks or so.
I was using 39° as starting point when things start to really go bad yes it's a progressive problem as the temperatures get cold

My point was summer tires are bad way before you get to freezing temperatures
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
DRKNESSAudiDad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Nope based upon what you’ve written OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #11
Lexura
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Jahre Edition

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Jahre  [9.50]
2022 BMW X5M   [0.00]
Quote:

Nope not needed. All Seasons would do if you are not driving thru blizzards or any inclement winter weather. And if you have a dedicated winter vehicle.
      11-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #12
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:

Absolutely if it comes with summer high performance tires. The factory summer tires will be worthless as tits on fish in a 1/4" of snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #13
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Do you need a winter specific snow tire? No. But you absolutely do not want to drive your summer tires in anything near or under 45 degrees. The rubber hardens up and you lose significant traction when turning and braking. I am going with Continental all-weather tires for the late fall through spring.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Are they necessary? Yes?

Are they mandatory? Umm it depends.

The reason why i say it depends is because it all depends on what you're doing with the car during winter. Summer tires when it's below 40 are essentially useless but that doesn't make the car undriveable IF, IF the roads are completely dry. Like if you don't drive like a looney, you can get from point A to point B on summer tires in winter. Recommended? Hell no. But you can do it.

You said you have a truck for winter, when it actually snows so it's up to you if you wanna spend the 1200+ bucks on a winter setup.

As for me, i have other cars to use so this winter, i may or may not put a winter setup on my M3C. However as of today, 33 degrees out, i just came back from a drive in the M3C, with the hockey puck hard michelin pilot 4S tires that came with the car. I rather drive it just to drive it, even like grandma, than for the car to sit. It's not snowing out. It's not raining out. And i've done this plenty of times in even more powerful cars during winter. I have never had an issue. Hell last winter i had cup2's on my 700hp+ C7Z and i drove it during winter months, ONLY when the roads were dry.

If you're going to think about all seasons, might as well get winters.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #15
Theoskay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Are they necessary? Yes?

Are they mandatory? Umm it depends.

The reason why i say it depends is because it all depends on what you're doing with the car during winter. Summer tires when it's below 40 are essentially useless but that doesn't make the car undriveable IF, IF the roads are completely dry. Like if you don't drive like a looney, you can get from point A to point B on summer tires in winter. Recommended? Hell no. But you can do it.

You said you have a truck for winter, when it actually snows so it's up to you if you wanna spend the 1200+ bucks on a winter setup.

As for me, i have other cars to use so this winter, i may or may not put a winter setup on my M3C. However as of today, 33 degrees out, i just came back from a drive in the M3C, with the hockey puck hard michelin pilot 4S tires that came with the car. I rather drive it just to drive it, even like grandma, than for the car to sit. It's not snowing out. It's not raining out. And i've done this plenty of times in even more powerful cars during winter. I have never had an issue. Hell last winter i had cup2's on my 700hp+ C7Z and i drove it during winter months, ONLY when the roads were dry.

If you're going to think about all seasons, might as well get winters.
This was especially helpful. I am coming from a C7 GS that I drove year round with summer tires. Only took it out on dry winter days and as you pointed out, happily drove it like a grandma rather than getting no play for 3 months.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      11-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #16
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
Do you need a winter specific snow tire? No. But you absolutely do not want to drive your summer tires in anything near or under 45 degrees. The rubber hardens up and you lose significant traction when turning and braking. I am going with Continental all-weather tires for the late fall through spring.
I'm a huge fan of DWS 06 Plus…
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #17
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I had the same conundrum. Wasn't sure what to do. I went with a full on winter wheel and tire combo but given the amount I drive (for pleasure only), I could have probably just put all seasons on the stick rims.

I think you need all seasons at a minimum.

FWIW I have the OEM 829M winter set up (Michelin Alpin 5 tires) and it's really excellent. Very comfortable, no loss of driving dynamics for usual road use and I have the piece of mind now that if I need to drive in snow and ice I can, but I'm looking forward to getting the summer set up back on

In hindsight the all seasons may have worked but if we take a trip to the mountains or Canada like we did recently I don't want to be worrying about my wheel set up with my family in the car for the sake of a few grand, most of which I will be able to recoup when you factor the reduction in wear on the summers (Summer tires will wear out fast below 40 degrees)

Summer set up at the bottom looks much better obviously!! I miss it already!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #18
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This was especially helpful. I am coming from a C7 GS that I drove year round with summer tires. Only took it out on dry winter days and as you pointed out, happily drove it like a grandma rather than getting no play for 3 months.
Exactly. I could never own nice cars and just have it sit all winter. No fucking way lol. If you were driving a near 500hp RWD sports car with TONS of low end torque and basically a featherweight in the rear, you'll be ok in a sports coupe that's AWD. I think you're already accustomed to this. Just don't drive like a maniac and you'll be fine. Especially since you have a truck to take on the harsher winter conditions.

I learned a lot of discipline driving my corvettes during winter. Never had a winter setup ever for my corvettes. Although i do have michelin pilot sport A/S tires on the C7Z now lol. Only because i thought i'd be driving it a lot more than usual, until i got the M3C. I didn't even take out the C7Z today And today was nice and sunny out. Tomorrow i will though lol.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

[QUOTE=GJBFI;28299850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

Tires aren't just for accelerating, they're also for braking and turning. Just because an AWD car has better traction does not mean it will brake faster.
Amen to that! The 30-year-old me learned that lesson the hard way in his 3-week-old Audi 90 quattro .. sliding into a stop sign, because AWD doesn't help a damb bit braking or turning during deceleration.

OP, at least get all-season tires (because you're too late this year to find winter tires that'll fit G8x). That video in post #2 drives home the difference the right (or wrong) tires make.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #20
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Also, if you have the Pirelli's, they are pretty clear about not using them below 45°F:

The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are
optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these
tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below
45° F or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random
surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All
Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F, UHP summer tires are
not recommended for lower temperature conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #21
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
Also, if you have the Pirelli's, they are pretty clear about not using them below 45°F:

The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are
optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these
tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below
45° F or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random
surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All
Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F, UHP summer tires are
not recommended for lower temperature conditions.
That pretty much applies to any summer tire, no matter the make.

The compound in summer tires turn rock hard when temps drop, that's why people refer to them as hockey pucks.
Appreciate 1
superbrew134.00
      11-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #22
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
That pretty much applies to any summer tire, no matter the make.

The compound in summer tires turn rock hard when temps drop, that's why people refer to them as hockey pucks.
Of course, but sometimes people need to see an official release from a company versus the vast experience of people who drive in these climates.....
Appreciate 0