G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

08-20-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Pacific Raceways - Driver Training and Parade Laps (BMW CCA)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW CCA Puget Sound held their final car control clinic of the year at Pacific Raceways (WA state) on Friday. I've done many car control clinics, M Track Days, driven around multiple tracks, etc. - but I wanted to do this to test my skills, keep them fresh, and to also exercise M Traction Control on my '22 M4.

Key takeaways:
- It is incredibly difficult to get this car to drift controllably on wet surfaces (skidpad) with all nannies turned off and in 2WD mode. It's understeer galore followed by snap oversteer (180 degrees+). I'm easily not skilled at this having had no real world opportunity to try this out before (other than in go karts and old video games).
- M Traction Control at levels 0, 3, 5, 7 and 9 were tried, but it was only level 9 that helped with getting some semblance of a drift going. There was limited opportunity to keep trying setting combos.
- The car is incredibly well-handling in all exercises - accelerated like crazy in short distances and superlative braking/cornering.
- The car constantly thinks it is in an accident situation under heavy braking and: (a) pulls the seat belts back and holds, (b) moves the passenger seat upright, (c) closes windows. There's no way to turn any of this off even in 'track mode'. Great for safety, not so great for tracking / HDPE. The other G82 that showed up did the exact same thing.

See how well the car can handle at around 70 mph in emergency handling and braking (not to mention how fast it reached that speed):

There were many such exercises (slalom, braking, braking with avoidance, braking into corners, parade laps, lunch, OVAL racing). There were more skilled drivers than me and I'm sure the G82 made me look better than I was against F8X cars. Absolute 100% endorsement of M xDrive, the tires, the brakes, the chassis, software, everything.

The instructors from BMW CCA / Porsche CA (they wear different hats based on whose event it is) were great. Very helpful in instruction and thorough.

Here's the 'lazy' parade laps video around Pacific Raceways (6 laps, hitting a max of ~90 mph governed by instructor cars in the front, middle and rear):

m3wannab117.00
Lupeskew472.00