Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Valvetronic Midpipe Install

Hi all. I know, too many threads still exist for this but because I have a UK spec, right hand car and its obviously competition spec, I feel a bit entitled

I received my valvetronic Midpipe a week after ordering. Now, took it to my muffler shop, which has the best reviews. They fabricate their own exhausts as well.

However, it was not possible to connect the downpipes as the the Midpipe would not fit in and touch the gearbox (or whatever it is in the middle). The extension where you bolt it to the body is too long and doesn't align to the screw hole. (apologies if I can't explain it properly). In the end we gave up and I had to return unsuccessfully. Had to use the valvetronic clamps to the rear section of the stock exhaust was cut already. I will need more clamps. Anyone has a part number please?

I am not sure if I have received the Midpipe for automatic. I am sure there are different versions?? Also, I am not sure if the Midpipe would fit the right hand drive car.

I was so looking forward to it but I am not sure what to do now.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic at the time of attempted installation. I can do but will need to hire a ramp. I have taken a pic of the Midpipe. Can anyone who installed let me know if it looks like the one of competition car or manual? As I mentioned, The pipe won't fit the groove (where its meant to sit), it can't be manoeuvred around, even if the downpipes are not connected, the extension (metallic part where the screw goes) is too long and will need to be modded anyway for my car. Any ideas guys/gals? I have the original downpipes.
Attached Images

Last edited by madmedman; 11-18-2021 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

In the UK you guys have OPF filters and stuff that we don't have in the USA, I think you need a European version of the mid pipe. Maybe ask Valvetronic but I think you might have an issue with this. Being a US based company I doubt they have made a European version yet

I know R44 performance are in the UK and have US/UK versions of stuff, as do Supersprint who are based in Italy

Even if this did fit, you would get an error code on your dash without the OPF version I believe. I would probably try ask Valvetronic to take it back or see if they have a solution, or try sell it to someone on here in the USA
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:07 AM   #3
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Did you check with valvetronic that it fits to an Euro spec opf/gpf car?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
In the UK you guys have OPF filters and stuff that we don't have in the USA, I think you need a European version of the mid pipe. Maybe ask Valvetronic but I think you might have an issue with this. Being a US based company I doubt they have made a European version yet

I know R44 performance are in the UK and have US/UK versions of stuff, as do Supersprint who are based in Italy

Even if this did fit, you would get an error code on your dash without the OPF version I believe. I would probably try ask Valvetronic to take it back or see if they have a solution, or try sell it to someone on here in the USA
Thanks Barry,
I have the opf related errors sorted. Got the deleter and needed to weld holes to this to connect sensors.

The problem is the actual midpipe fitting and connection to the downpipes. I believed both the right and left hand drive car's exhaust systems would be the same. Hence I ordered. I did ask valvetronic if they had a uk supplier but they didn't.

If you dont mind me asking, is your car competition or 6mt. Your exhaust seems exactly like mine. I just want to ascertain mine is not for a manual. I read somewhere there are different versions of the midpipe, I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimM3 View Post
No I didn't. I only asked them if they have a UK supplier and they said they didn't and I needed to order from them. I thought the cars were basically the same apart from the opf/gpf issue which I was able to overcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #6
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
No I didn't. I only asked them if they have a UK supplier and they said they didn't and I needed to order from them. I thought the cars were basically the same apart from the opf/gpf issue which I was able to overcome.
A picture of the exhaust of you car would be helpful to compare it to a non-opf ones
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe ask them if there should be a UK version or if they are the same?

Mine is a US Spec Comp (auto)

I don't think there is any difference between auto and manual in terms of exhaust spec

Maybe it's just a fitment issue if there is no difference between US and UK, I'm not sure. Worth calling Valvetronic
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #8
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A picture of the exhaust of you car would be helpful to compare it to a non-opf ones
Thanks. I am going to hire a ramp and will make a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Maybe ask them if there should be a UK version or if they are the same?

Mine is a US Spec Comp (auto)

I don't think there is any difference between auto and manual in terms of exhaust spec

Maybe it's just a fitment issue if there is no difference between US and UK, I'm not sure. Worth calling Valvetronic
Thanks. Its good to know yours is also Comp spec. I was worried that there are different versions of the pipe.

Its on me that I believed the only difference between EU and US specs would be the fact that there would be an OPF instead of the CATs. Even the stock exhaust looks very identical despite being no OPFs in the US version.

I will call valvetronic about this. I have emailed them already. Could it also be that fitment is an issue? But I guess that is difficult to answer unless I get it up on a ramp.

It may be that my muffler guy hasnt done a G82 install yet and I need to find someone else to give it another go before I jump to conclusions.
The midpipe is so good looking that I am even thinking of putting it up as a decoration in my garage

Thanks guys for the input.

Last edited by madmedman; 11-18-2021 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
akenation
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 Xdrive

Do you run oem downpipe ?
I know that SSR Downpipe and Valvetronic mid pipe don't fit together.
You must have a flex pipe on your downpipe first.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here you must be able to see how your exhaust(uk opf) looks like.
Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      11-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akenation View Post
Do you run oem downpipe ?
I know that SSR Downpipe and Valvetronic mid pipe don't fit together.
You must have a flex pipe on your downpipe first.
Hey. I have OEM downpipes. The first downpipe was flexible when the tech showed it to me this morning. The second downpipe couldnt fit flush and moving the midpipe was not possible.

Quote:

Here you must be able to see how your exhaust(uk opf) looks like.
Thanks. Watched that video so many times. From the looks of it, the only thing there are the suction hoses for the opf sensors. I have fittings already that would need welding to the midpipe but i have to make sure it fits first.

I have a car ramp booked for monday and will make a video. I also have got an appointment with Deutch tech who made the R44 exhaust so will see if they can fit it. I dont mind a bit of modding as long as it would fit.
Appreciate 1
DimM3302.00
      11-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #12
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

I have this exact issue and I'm beyond pissed about it. I waited months and months, and it is miles off fitting.

I took it to a very reputable shop in the Bay Area, but they couldn't get it to fit - there wasn't enough flex in the flexible downpipe relative the positioning of the valvetronic pipe. Maybe it's a downpipe issue from the factory, but they were adamant it wouldn't fit, and spent a long time trying to make it work.

I've been back and forth with valvetronic issue on it, but they said the downpipe is fine so either return it or figure it out, basically.

When did you get yours? Mine shipped mid-October, and valvetronic insists there's no issue with a particular batch, but I wonder
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
madmedman275.00
      11-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #13
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So i have hired a car ramp on monday and will take matter into my own hand

I have checked youtube for underbody videos of both UK and US spec cars and i see they look exactly the same. I will post screenshots from two videos, evolve's exhaust installation video, i hope they wont mind and another picture posted by ashiifi here on bimmerpost.

Valvetronic got back to me very promptly and i am going to make a video and send to them. I am really hoping that this is compatible with my car and I envy you all who have installed this already.

Just a question, are both the oem CATs flexible?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I have this exact issue and I'm beyond pissed about it. I waited months and months, and it is miles off fitting.

I took it to a very reportable shop in the Bay Area, but they couldn't get it to fit - there wasn't enough flex in the flexible downpipe relative the positioning of the valvetronic pipe. Maybe it's a downpipe issue from the factory, but they were adamant it wouldn't fit, and spent a long time trying to make it work.

I've been back and forth with valvetronic issue on it, but they said the downpipe is fine so either return it or figure it out, basically.

When did you get yours? Mine shipped mid-October, and valvetronic insists there's no issue with a particular batch, but I wonder
Hi Pantagathus.

Exactly same issue as yourself. In fact i read your post after i posted my last one. My muffler shop however took an hour trying to figure it out and gave up. same problems as you have highlighted. I have a EU spec car and thought, maybe its my car or I got the wrong midpipe.

I received mine about a week ago. Could it be a problem with a particular batch?

Edit: Just checked your post and I got mine at exact time as yours. Could be from same batch.
Perhaps, this needs mandatory downpipes?

Last edited by madmedman; 11-18-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post

I took it to a very reputable shop in the Bay Area, but they couldn't get it to fit - there wasn't enough flex in the flexible downpipe relative the positioning of the valvetronic pipe. Maybe it's a downpipe issue from the factory, but they were adamant it wouldn't fit, and spent a long time trying to make it work.

Can you please update whenever you can?

I should have taken pictures or made a video. I was so disappointed when the muffler shop couldnt install it that i said *** it.

For some reason, I remember the flexible downpipe was not connected as I was moving it around when I had a look. And the other downpipe was connected but not flush. So i guess in my case it was an issue with the other downpipe connection and not the first (flexible one). When I come back from work its already dark and i cant fit under the car. This is torture. Man i wish i had a well lit garage where i could lift the car and check.

Is the short downpipe moveable to a degree? Im asking because the muffler shop did not disconnect or fiddle with the downpipes at all. Could there be hope still?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys/Girls

Just a quick question please, before I get the car to the lift tomorrow.

How do I rotate the stock downpipes? Any videos? Asking in case I need to do that to install the valvetronic mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #17
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Small update.

Put my car on the lift today. Really easy to get the stock mid pipe off. The previous muffler shop had already cut the stock exhaust. It was asymmetrical though. Took just a few minutes with an impact gun.

Took the front end of the valvetronic midpipe. As soon as I connected the mid pipe with downpipes, the gear box was in the way. The side extension for the bolt was not aligned. See first video.

Both the downpipes would not sit flush with the midpipe. Tried to screw them tight, rotating between the screw so they are evenly tightened. There was a point beyond which, the bolts would start to slide no matter how hard I tried. Got the car down and started it. Clear leak from both connections. See second video.

I couldn't get the midpipe to be straight and aligned as in some other videos. You can hear the exhaust leak.

Sorry the videos are not oriented properly.

The fact that the bolts are almost completely tightened gives me confidence that all hope is not lost.

For my European friends who are thinking of installing this or other US spec mid pipes, check the pictures below for the bung/connection you would need welded into your midpipe so you can connect the opf sensors. The external thread size is M14X1.5.

I guess I am just unlucky my midpipe has fitment issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:40 AM   #18
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Small update.

Put my car on the lift today. Really easy to get the stock mid pipe off. The previous muffler shop had already cut the stock exhaust. It was asymmetrical though. Took just a few minutes with an impact gun.

Took the front end of the valvetronic midpipe. As soon as I connected the mid pipe with downpipes, the gear box was in the way. The side extension for the bolt was not aligned. See first video.

Both the downpipes would not sit flush with the midpipe. Tried to screw them tight, rotating between the screw so they are evenly tightened. There was a point beyond which, the bolts would start to slide no matter how hard I tried. Got the car down and started it. Clear leak from both connections. See second video.

I couldn't get the midpipe to be straight and aligned as in some other videos. You can hear the exhaust leak.

The fact that the bolts are almost completely tightened gives me confidence that all hope is not lost.

For my European friends who are thinking of installing this or other US spec mid pipes, check the pictures below for the bung/connection you would need welded into your midpipe so you can connect the opf sensors. The external thread size is M14X1.5.

Sorry I don't have much to add or say, but thanks for the info. I am looking to do a exhaust mod myself at some point in the future (I am also a UK spec owner like yourself, so with OPF etc).

Please keep us updated if you manage to get the Valvetronic midpipes to fit
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #19
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Sorry I don't have much to add or say, but thanks for the info. I am looking to do a exhaust mod myself at some point in the future (I am also a UK spec owner like yourself, so with OPF etc).

Please keep us updated if you manage to get the Valvetronic midpipes to fit
Will do. Will know for definite by this Friday. I wrongly thought the rate limiting factor for me would be connecting the opf sensors. Once you have no fitment issues, anyone with basic welding skills would be able to install the connections and all you need is to hire a lift for two hours and all done.
Appreciate 1
Sbm007612.50
      11-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #20
G80_Soom
Freude am fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3 6MT IOMG/KO

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Small update.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble brotha. I was one of the first to install the VT mid-pipe on the stock downpipes with absolutely no issues. Fitment on point. I wonder if it's because your Euro spec may have a little difference to US. The only time I had an issue is when I went to SSR catless downpipes which are not flex. It would not fit with the midpipe perfectly. My shop had to custom weld another piece of pipe to make it perfect. It was well worth it though as the sound is incredible. I hope you can work with Austin and the team at Valvetronic to make this work!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #21
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80_Soom View Post
Sorry to hear you're having trouble brotha. I was one of the first to install the VT mid-pipe on the stock downpipes with absolutely no issues. Fitment on point. I wonder if it's because your Euro spec may have a little difference to US. The only time I had an issue is when I went to SSR catless downpipes which are not flex. It would not fit with the midpipe perfectly. My shop had to custom weld another piece of pipe to make it perfect. It was well worth it though as the sound is incredible. I hope you can work with Austin and the team at Valvetronic to make this work!
Thanks very much mate. I am still hopeful I will be able to have the midpipe fitted. I have checked and both the US and EU cars are the same. No difference at all and the pipe should have fitted without modification, especially to stock downpipes. There are others with US cars who have the exact fitment issues, possibly a faulty batch, I am not sure. I have requested valvetronic to send me another front section but no reply in a few days. I guess I have to fork out more bucks to fabricate a part of the front section to have it fit. Its a big bummer
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks very much mate. I am still hopeful I will be able to have the midpipe fitted. I have checked and both the US and EU cars are the same. No difference at all and the pipe should have fitted without modification, especially to stock downpipes. There are others with US cars who have the exact fitment issues, possibly a faulty batch, I am not sure. I have requested valvetronic to send me another front section but no reply in a few days. I guess I have to fork out more bucks to fabricate a part of the front section to have it fit. Its a big bummer
I have sent them an email regarding a different request, they have not responded yet. I normally get a response from them same day.

They must be running behind because of the black Friday sale.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0