BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

11-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #23
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Night and day in what way? Performance-wise it's been stated numerous times by reviewers that there's not much between them. If you like the more drama in the shifts then the DCT is better but that's more of a personal thing.
Have you driven them back to back? It will be immediately noticable. I'm fortunate to have a large group of friends that have nice toys and trust each other to swap and drive each other's cars. Its immediately clear how much worse the zf is when going back to back to a dct. It just feels laggy and slow, Especially on downshifts. Bmw dresses it up for noobs with " it's smoother" The only people that don't notice or think that are those that drive their cars very light or are complete noobs. Casually driving it's not as noticable. Shifting constantly at redline it's aggravating .It feels like an eternity when you have to click 3 fn times to downshift down on the zf just to get the lower gear and then it doesn't even shift into the redline but around 4k rpm. What happened to the other 2k rpm? When used to doing engine braking, it's very noticeable. It feels like this to me..." Click to down shift, and wait, nope not yet. Click again, still not ready. Now I'm thinking, just give me the fn gear already, and like a second later, the tranny says, ok here you go now, now it's ok." Annoying as hell. On the Dct, you want the gear, click and there you go, even if it's right into the redline in the next gear at 7k rpm. You want it, no problem, here you go."

If you are going to go there though, literally, every single reputable reviewer has mentioned the zf as being the cars biggest let down, performance wise.

See what Chris Harris thinks of it. Doesn't seem that he thinks it's the same to me

Last edited by wasya152; 11-10-2021 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
THEROK1267.50
CanAutM321115.00
      11-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #24
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
You're completely correct, I'm not sure why people think you're coming here to troll. It's a night and day difference between the DCT and ZF8. I would pay $5K more for the DCT if I could
Same here. Would pay that in a heart beat if I could get Dct.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You're completely correct, I'm not sure why people think you're coming here to troll. It's a night and day difference between the DCT and ZF8. I would pay $5K more for the DCT if I could
Night and day in what way? Performance-wise it's been stated numerous times by reviewers that there's not much between them. If you like the more drama in the shifts then the DCT is better but that's more of a personal thing.
At redline the ZF8 hesitates where the DCT would shift without breaking a sweat. Down shifts aren't as crisp/fast as the DCT. Coming from an M2 it's immediately noticeable for me. If you've never driven a PDK or M-DCT you probably won't notice but for those of us who have it's hard not to.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #26
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
At redline the ZF8 hesitates where the DCT would shift without breaking a sweat. Down shifts aren't as crisp/fast as the DCT. Coming from an M2 it's immediately noticeable for me. If you've never driven a PDK or M-DCT you probably won't notice but for those of us who have it's hard not to.
I’ve driven the ZF8 in an M4C (rwd) and I was pleasantly surprised by the upshifts, but they still lack the crispness of Dct and are way off a PDK car. The downshifts were better than what I experienced in my M5C but still can’t compare on one downshift let alone multiple as this is the area a dual clutch shows it stripes in comparison.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:
I’ve driven the ZF8 in an M4C (rwd) and I was pleasantly surprised by the upshifts, but they still lack the crispness of Dct and are way off a PDK car. The downshifts were better than what I experienced in my M5C but still can’t compare on one downshift let alone multiple as this is the area a dual clutch shows it stripes in comparison.
They are crips but lack the promptness. The predictive pattern for holding heads is good, it's when you're using the paddles that it shows weakness. I think the car is fine but that's my one issue with an outside great vehicle.

It has me considering a Cayman GTS 4.0 or GT4 next with the PDK if I can get an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #28
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
They are crips but lack the promptness. The predictive pattern for holding heads is good, it's when you're using the paddles that it shows weakness. I think the car is fine but that's my one issue with an outside great vehicle.

It has me considering a Cayman GTS 4.0 or GT4 next with the PDK if I can get an allocation.
I have a 718 GT4 in manual and couldn't be happier with it. I think you'd love either the GT4 or GTS 4.0 but it's very few and far between for allocations - I actually think past Q1 '22 the GT4 and Spyder are done for production. I am waiting for either my 992 GT3 or GT4 RS allocation before giving up the GT4.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #29
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I have a 718 GT4 in manual and couldn't be happier with it. I think you'd love either the GT4 or GTS 4.0 but it's very few and far between for allocations - I actually think past Q1 '22 the GT4 and Spyder are done for production. I am waiting for either my 992 GT3 or GT4 RS allocation before giving up the GT4.
I heard the hearing for the manual is very long meaning you need to basically drive it up to redline for any power on top of hitting the 60-70'a in 2nd, is that right? I was thinking PDK for practicality but the car isn't practical so maybe the standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
I heard the hearing for the manual is very long meaning you need to basically drive it up to redline for any power on top of hitting the 60-70'a in 2nd, is that right? I was thinking PDK for practicality but the car isn't practical so maybe the standard.
That is patently false. Even during break-in, the car feels strong to 5K RPM and the powertrain is one of the most explosive I've ever driven at 6,7, and up to 8K RPMs. It is IMO a better engine than the 991.1 GT3 engine. It makes much more torque than the 981 GT4. The gears are long by speed, but that is a normal Porsche thing - the GT3 manual has long gears too but never hampers the fun at all. The manual is so good too that heel/toeing is such a joy.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #31
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Quote:
Have you driven them back to back? It will be immediately noticable. I'm fortunate to have a large group of friends that have nice toys and trust each other to swap and drive each other's cars. Its immediately clear how much worse the zf is when going back to back to a dct. It just feels laggy and slow, Especially on downshifts. Bmw dresses it up for noobs with " it's smoother" The only people that don't notice or think that are those that drive their cars very light or are complete noobs. Casually driving it's not as noticable. Shifting constantly at redline it's aggravating .It feels like an eternity when you have to click 3 fn times to downshift down on the zf just to get the lower gear and then it doesn't even shift into the redline but around 4k rpm. What happened to the other 2k rpm? When used to doing engine braking, it's very noticeable. It feels like this to me..." Click to down shift, and wait, nope not yet. Click again, still not ready. Now I'm thinking, just give me the fn gear already, and like a second later, the tranny says, ok here you go now, now it's ok." Annoying as hell. On the Dct, you want the gear, click and there you go, even if it's right into the redline in the next gear at 7k rpm. You want it, no problem, here you go."

If you are going to go there though, literally, every single reputable reviewer has mentioned the zf as being the cars biggest let down, performance wise.

See what Chris Harris thinks of it. Doesn't seem that he thinks it's the same to me
Interesting my car will downshit right to 7k but everything else I agree with.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That is patently false. Even during break-in, the car feels strong to 5K RPM and the powertrain is one of the most explosive I've ever driven at 6,7, and up to 8K RPMs. It is IMO a better engine than the 991.1 GT3 engine. It makes much more torque than the 981 GT4. The gears are long by speed, but that is a normal Porsche thing - the GT3 manual has long gears too but never hampers the fun at all. The manual is so good too that heel/toeing is such a joy.
Thank you for clarifying that. It's hard to get accurate information sometimes with so many people saying different things.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #33
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that. It's hard to get accurate information sometimes with so many people saying different things.
You definitely need to drive one to see what you like. I prefer normally aspirated cars and love everything about it, the powertrain, sound, handling, etc. After driving my G80 M3 it really makes the GT4 feel like a racecar in comparison. Also, you've got to realize it's, by today's standards, a very light car at 3100 lbs and you can feel this in the handling, braking, and acceleration.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #34
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You definitely need to drive one to see what you like. I prefer normally aspirated cars and love everything about it, the powertrain, sound, handling, etc. After driving my G80 M3 it really makes the GT4 feel like a racecar in comparison. Also, you've got to realize it's, by today's standards, a very light car at 3100 lbs and you can feel this in the handling, braking, and acceleration.
I agree with you, the hard thing is finding one to drive. I'm not sure my wife would be the biggest fan of another coupe but that's something I'll deal with she hated the M2 when I had it prior. I'd still love a Cayman GT4 at some point, I know the RS is coming soon as well.
Appreciate 0