BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

10-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #23
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
If it's in your budget, you owe it to yourself to go for it. If you don't, you'll always wonder. I did, and I'm glad I did, but after a year, I started to get bored of it.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      10-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #24
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
If it's in your budget, you owe it to yourself to go for it. If you don't, you'll always wonder. I did, and I'm glad I did, but after a year, I started to get bored of it.
I seem to get bored of everything after a few years. :
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #25
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I know. I don't want to have FOMO.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #26
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I seem to get bored of everything after a few years. :
Yea, typically it's about 3 years for me before I start getting that itch, especially if there is something new and exciting out that brings on the itch.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #27
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

I hear you on the style of the m8. Before I got my G82 I was totally enamored with the look of the M8. I took this white competition around for the day and it was a blast. (Next to my old 440)

But I did not pull the trigger.

Why?

1. Economics, just wasnt enough wow/$.
2. Back seat is totally useless behind people in the front. Literally no way to have a passenger behind me. Deal breaker for me with two kids
3. Too heavy for the track- I track my G82 2x a month
4. My G82 thats tuned will smoke an m8 now and destroy it on track

But it still is a sexy machine…
Attached Images

10-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #28
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

A few thoughts on the M8- I don’t mean to offend anyone with the M8 or in the market for one, it is an amazing car that has great styling and the performance of a supercar. The car just fills a niche that just never made sense to me personally.

It is a heavy 2 door Gt car. If I am looking for a coupe, I would personally want something lighter and more nimble.

The pricing- I cannot get over how much more marked up the price of a M8 vs a M5 is. Before the 2022 price drop I think it was 145k starting. This would be like the m4 starting at 100k vs the m3. It is the same powertrain in a different body, and not even a lighter chassis at that. The interior is better but not 30k better. The looks are subjective, if one really favors the m8 and hates the m5 styling then the price will be justified, as you shouldn’t get a car you can’t stand to look at. Pricing is the main reason I picked a m5 over a m8gc, if it was only slightly marked up the way a m4 vs a m3 was, it probably would be a coin toss between those two.

For m8 price territory, something like an AMG Gtr makes more sense, which is an actual sports car and still checks off the TT V8 box. Or a R8. Of course a z06 is always a benchmark for v8 coupes, but I am guessing if you are looking for a m8 you want more luxury with the performance.

Now the 2022 m8 starts at 130k, but for the above points above I would only consider one if I found a huge discount on it. I guess bmw is trying to compete with the gt63, but even still the amg has the gtr, which BMW’s lineup has nothing to compare with it. At least Mb gave the gt63 more hp than the e63, however minimal it may be but at least to differentiate them more.

That being said again the m8 is an amazing car with supercar performance, I just don’t prefer heavy 2 doors, and the pricing of it makes no sense to me. Everyone has different personal tastes and situations. For me best to get a slightly used one or a great deal on one like some of the other posters have.

Last edited by will0621; 10-09-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #29
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
I hear you on the style of the m8. Before I got my G82 I was totally enamored with the look of the M8. I took this white competition around for the day and it was a blast. (Next to my old 440)

But I did not pull the trigger.

Why?

1. Economics, just wasnt enough wow/$.
2. Back seat is totally useless behind people in the front. Literally no way to have a passenger behind me. Deal breaker for me with two kids
3. Too heavy for the track- I track my G82 2x a month
4. My G82 thats tuned will smoke an m8 now and destroy it on track

But it still is a sexy machine…
I agree on the price. It was stupid at 150-160k. Obviously not cheap at 130, but at least a little more reasonable in comparison. I hardly have people in my passenger seat, let alone the rear. Single no kids. The only thing that usually sits back there is my work bag which should fit. And it'll never see the track. I still love my G82 but that sexy machine part is what's getting to me about the M8.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #30
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by will0621 View Post
A few thoughts on the M8- I don’t mean to offend anyone with the M8 or in the market for one, it is an amazing car that has great styling and the performance of a supercar. The car just fills a niche that just never made sense to me personally.

It is a heavy 2 door Gt car. If I am looking for a coupe, I would personally want something lighter and more nimble.

The pricing- I cannot get over how much more marked up the price of a M8 vs a M5 is. Before the 2022 price drop I think it was 145k starting. This would be like the m4 starting at 100k vs the m3. It is the same powertrain in a different body, and not even a lighter chassis at that. The interior is better but not 30k better. The looks are subjective, if one really favors the m8 and hates the m5 styling then the price will be justified, as you shouldn’t get a car you can’t stand to look at. Pricing is the main reason I picked a m5 over a m8gc, if it was only slightly marked up the way a m4 vs a m3 was, it probably would be a coin toss between those two.

For m8 price territory, something like an AMG Gtr makes more sense, which is an actual sports car and still checks off the TT V8 box. Or a R8. Of course a z06 is always a benchmark for v8 coupes, but I am guessing if you are looking for a m8 you want more luxury with the performance.

Now the 2022 m8 starts at 130k, but for the above points above I would only consider one if I found a huge discount on it. I guess bmw is trying to compete with the gt63, but even still the amg has the gtr, which BMW’s lineup has nothing to compare with it. At least Mb gave the gt63 more hp than the e63, however minimal it may be but at least to differentiate them more.

That being said again the m8 is an amazing car with supercar performance, I just don’t prefer heavy 2 doors, and the pricing of it makes no sense to me. Everyone has different personal tastes and situations. For me best to get a slightly used one or a great deal on one like some of the other posters have.
My dad has a C8. It's an amazing car assuming you can get one (he waited 14 months), but not so practical as a daily driver and a little over the top for me for some social situations like work for instance. I was going to get an AMG C63 until MB decided to stop bringing coupes over here. Fortunately for BMW there really aren't any other cars in the class for the performance and price of the M3/4
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #31
T_Munny
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 and others.

I know this is an old post, but I’ve driven both of these cars quite a bit recently. It’s interesting, because when I’m in the M4 Comp, I’m like, I love this car. Literally. It is so fun to drive. And viciously fast. But when I’m in the M850, I find myself in sort of the same situation. I love the pops and the V8. And it is also wicked fast. But it’s definitely heavier and more luxurious. The back seats are definitely worthless, and as a note, both have been convertibles. I did drive an 840i coupe, and it was impossible to get suitcases or whatever out of the back seats. The convertible makes a huge difference there. The M4 actually works with rear passengers.

I have to give the BMW attributes team props. They find a way to make you want all of their cars, for different reasons. As a daily driver, I’d probably lean toward the M850 because the comfort suspension setup is actually comfortable. But the blistering performance of the M4 comp always puts a smile on my face. It’s a tough choice. If you are lucky, and some are, get both.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #32
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Munny View Post
I know this is an old post, but I’ve driven both of these cars quite a bit recently. It’s interesting, because when I’m in the M4 Comp, I’m like, I love this car. Literally. It is so fun to drive. And viciously fast. But when I’m in the M850, I find myself in sort of the same situation. I love the pops and the V8. And it is also wicked fast. But it’s definitely heavier and more luxurious. The back seats are definitely worthless, and as a note, both have been convertibles. I did drive an 840i coupe, and it was impossible to get suitcases or whatever out of the back seats. The convertible makes a huge difference there. The M4 actually works with rear passengers.

I have to give the BMW attributes team props. They find a way to make you want all of their cars, for different reasons. As a daily driver, I’d probably lean toward the M850 because the comfort suspension setup is actually comfortable. But the blistering performance of the M4 comp always puts a smile on my face. It’s a tough choice. If you are lucky, and some are, get both.
M850 ≠ M8

They are different animals.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #33
SigmaShift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by will0621 View Post

M8 comp is faster or as fast as all of those cars acceleration wise.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #34
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I had the chance to drive the M8 on track at the Performance Center, back to back with M3C and M5C. The M8 looks absolutely beautiful, an eye-catcher for sure. It also is an M car without a doubt from the driving dynamics. In isolation, it is a superb vehicle, a special BMW.

However, compared to the M3 and the M5, it felt less engaging in the dynamics department; changed directions a bit slower, it was a bit more difficult to place it exactly on the track, brakes seemed to object more than even the M5 going down from 100+ mph, builds up the speed more subtly, and the rear seats appear quite useless.

At the same time, it felt to be the better cruiser at high speeds than either the M3 or M5. That is probably its purpose or niche. However, if I was in the market for such a car, I would surely go with an Audi eTron GT or GT RS. I think the Audi has a better interior, better dynamics, and performance, not to mention that the eTron GT family looks better in my eyes.

When I asked the instructors for their preferences, all of them without exception said M3>M5>M8.
      12-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #35
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
I had the chance to drive the M8 on track at the Performance Center, back to back with M3C and M5C. The M8 looks absolutely beautiful, an eye-catcher for sure. It also is an M car without a doubt from the driving dynamics. In isolation, it is a superb vehicle, a special BMW.

However, compared to the M3 and the M5, it felt less engaging in the dynamics department; changed directions a bit slower, it was a bit more difficult to place it exactly on the track, brakes seemed to object more than even the M5 going down from 100+ mph, builds up the speed more subtly, and the rear seats appear quite useless.

At the same time, it felt to be the better cruiser at high speeds than either the M3 or M5. That is probably its purpose or niche. However, if I was in the market for such a car, I would surely go with an Audi eTron GT or GT RS. I think the Audi has a better interior, better dynamics, and performance, not to mention that the eTron GT family looks better in my eyes.

When I asked the instructors for their preferences, all of them without exception said M3>M5>M8.
Having now owned both I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The M3/4 is definitely a more engaging driving experience due to its smaller size, but the looks of the M8 are far superior to the M3/4 and my cars are never going to see the track. I assume the PC instructors were talking about driving dynamics.

For me:
M3/4 > M8 in driving experience/engagement

but

M8 >>> M3/4 in looks

Last edited by snareman; 12-07-2023 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 6
MACHT260.50
eugenebmw1350.00
brava09767.00
Ezmolaw30.00
Vic5518965.50