BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #23
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Nah dude i love watching the ring videos. I'm even subscribed to auto addiction where they show ring crashes, ring near crashes, weirdest cars on the ring lol. I love all that. I really wish i lived in germany. Their roads are the best and they have the ring.

It makes me happy but also sad with the c8 because GM is finally giving us or showing us what else they can do with the corvette, almost as a final farewell before we all go electric. They're basically telling us, "oh you thought we were done after the c7? We got something better!"

I'm glad GM has given it's customers ferrari like sounds and performance (or better) to those who can't actually afford a ferrari lol.

But soon, no more awesome sounds
I'm hopeful ICe engine development continues over the next decade but tapers off as EVs take over. I think we still have time / a generation of vehicles ahead of us.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #24
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
I'm hopeful ICe engine development continues over the next decade but tapers off as EVs take over. I think we still have time / a generation of vehicles ahead of us.
I agree. I mean even after the official year of no more new ICE cars being sold, there's still a used market.

The only thing is that there will be so many EV's on the road, we're all literally going to be left in the dust. Unless we continue to drive the very top of the line performance cars, just to keep up with average EV cars lol.

Crazy how 2 decades or so from now, anyone can hop in an EV, and do 0-100mph in like 5 seconds lol.

Jetsons here we come!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #25
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. I mean even after the official year of no more new ICE cars being sold, there's still a used market.

The only thing is that there will be so many EV's on the road, we're all literally going to be left in the dust. Unless we continue to drive the very top of the line performance cars, just to keep up with average EV cars lol.

Crazy how 2 decades or so from now, anyone can hop in an EV, and do 0-100mph in like 5 seconds lol.

Jetsons here we come!!!
I see EVs as the future, but as they stand today acceleration, enviroment, saving gas and top end tech in the tesla are the selling points.

I'm not sure they envoke drivers cars and satisfy your thrill of driving.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      09-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #26
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see EVs as the future, but as they stand today acceleration, enviroment, saving gas and top end tech in the tesla are the selling points.

I'm not sure they envoke drivers cars and satisfy your thrill of driving.
I'm getting a model Y in spring to replace my daily now. I'm debating if it's worth getting the performance, or just getting the dual motor and buying the 2000 dollar acceleration boost.

I've driven and rode in a handful of teslas. It's an odd feeling at first. Driving feels numb, almost fake. The steering wheel is small compared to most normal cars. The regen takes a bit of getting used to. Some tesla quality is better than others. Even of the same MY.

But i totally get why people adore them. They just love that instant EV torque. But it does taper off around 90. So unless you encounter a plaid on the road, don't be afraid to take on a tesla from a roll.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #27
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm getting a model Y in spring to replace my daily now. I'm debating if it's worth getting the performance, or just getting the dual motor and buying the 2000 dollar acceleration boost.

I've driven and rode in a handful of teslas. It's an odd feeling at first. Driving feels numb, almost fake. The steering wheel is small compared to most normal cars. The regen takes a bit of getting used to. Some tesla quality is better than others. Even of the same MY.

But i totally get why people adore them. They just love that instant EV torque. But it does taper off around 90. So unless you encounter a plaid on the road, don't be afraid to take on a tesla from a roll.
I'm a total tesla fanboy and would use one as a daily. I say you go all out and scrath the acceleration itch. Around a track is where BMW will still win.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      09-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #28
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a total tesla fanboy and would use one as a daily. I say you go all out and scrath the acceleration itch. Around a track is where BMW will still win.
Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #29
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I dont think you're going to see much better than 7:30s from a Stock G8X. 7:12 is nuts.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #30
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I dont think you're going to see much better than 7:30s from a Stock G8X. 7:12 is nuts.
7:12 in traffic btw
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13404.50
      09-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #31
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Damn that thing is a beauty man. Wait so it's for sale again? Or it's still for sale from the time you gave it up? The value went up on these cars man lol.

It's really tempting to sell. But maybe when i get the M3C i'll see where my feelings are lol. Maybe i'm really attached to my c7z because i had it since brand new and technically it's the only toy i have, aside from my crotch rocket.

But even when i get the c8z, there's nothing like the sound of a GM small block pushrod engine. The LS/LT engines GM put out the past decade or so have been astonishing. Incredibly powerful and VERY VERY reliable. I have never gotten a CEL in my c7z EVER. And i don't really baby it. It's the best car i have ever owned. And it has 700+hp.

The car was a lease, gave it back about 4 months ago. Dealer has been sitting on it since... as you can see by that healthy price hike. Nobody is paying that amount for it, but doesn't hurt to ask these days...

i agree, that LT4 was one reliable sob. Lots of 40 rolls and lots of feelings hurt, never one issue.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      09-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #32
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
7:12 in traffic btw
Yeah, that too.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #33
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Yeah, that too.
Just traded my C8 for an M4C Xdrive... It was fun but I wanted a nicer interior and frankly not all the attention that the C8 gets everywhere.

Much less a Z06 flavor that's even more capable - I just drive it to work and back and will probably not ever take it to the track. Just my $.02
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13404.50
bgexpress334.50
      09-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #34
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did the same thing with my C7. I ended up just driving it to work, and Im 6'3, it just got to be a hassle to drive. I was just too tall to fit in it comfortably.

I was all over the C8, for a long time. I watched the event, live, online, on launch day, and couldnt wait to get one. Allocations waned, and I lost interest.

Not to mention, there are a few at work, and while it does look great, I just love turbos, more. And the G8X platform is much better suited for how I like to drive, and the overall interior headroom.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #35
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
The car was a lease, gave it back about 4 months ago. Dealer has been sitting on it since... as you can see by that healthy price hike. Nobody is paying that amount for it, but doesn't hurt to ask these days...

i agree, that LT4 was one reliable sob. Lots of 40 rolls and lots of feelings hurt, never one issue.

I been debating on selling my c7z but every weekend when i drive it, i change my mind lol. This has been going on for the past 2 years. Thought about selling it again this year because the used market is booming right now but i just can't. Dealer offered 62k right there on the spot when i showed up but i couldn't. Mainly because over the phone they were like you can get up 80k for your car!!! Let us see it!!

Found out that was bullshit to get me in the door and i guess they thought i'd drool over the counter offer in person which was 62k but no thanks. Even though 99% of others would jump on it, i wouldn't do it based on not giving them that satisfaction.

I'll keep the car until my c8 z06 arrives. Then i'll decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #36
Traind
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
Just traded my C8 for an M4C Xdrive... It was fun but I wanted a nicer interior and frankly not all the attention that the C8 gets everywhere.

Much less a Z06 flavor that's even more capable - I just drive it to work and back and will probably not ever take it to the track. Just my $.02
An honest post. Most owners of Corvettes and M cars never go to the track. And, if they do occassionally, they don't ever get close to the edge of performance potential the cars have engineered into them. So the numbers and ststs, as much as I love them, are not really relevant for most people.

I am considering these two cars. Have not driven a C8 nor the new M3 (although I am going to the BMW track day in NY in 2 weeks or so). The Z06 for 100k is really compelling. I don't much care for the looks of the C8, but the performance and engine will make up for it I am guessing. But I don't like the attention factor either. That's another drawback of the C8, although eventually they'll be pretty commonplace.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #37
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
I been debating on selling my c7z but every weekend when i drive it, i change my mind lol. This has been going on for the past 2 years. Thought about selling it again this year because the used market is booming right now but i just can't. Dealer offered 62k right there on the spot when i showed up but i couldn't. Mainly because over the phone they were like you can get up 80k for your car!!! Let us see it!!

Found out that was bullshit to get me in the door and i guess they thought i'd drool over the counter offer in person which was 62k but no thanks. Even though 99% of others would jump on it, i wouldn't do it based on not giving them that satisfaction.

I'll keep the car until my c8 z06 arrives. Then i'll decide what to do.
Shocked you saw an offer that low. I’ve seen trade ins recently for 80-82k on Z06. It’s ridiculous. I can’t give up my Z06 M7 though. Leaning towards M3 to replace the daily though.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #38
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
Shocked you saw an offer that low. I’ve seen trade ins recently for 80-82k on Z06. It’s ridiculous. I can’t give up my Z06 M7 though. Leaning towards M3 to replace the daily though.
I don't drive my Z much. Weekends only, rain or shine. So as long as i maintain it the best i can. I figure when it's time to get into the C8 z06, my car should still be worth something still. At least 50k by the time the new Z is ready to come home with me.

I can't fully replace my corvette with the M3 though. They're not the same car obviously. The M3 will just be an addition.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #39
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
I don't drive my Z much. Weekends only, rain or shine. So as long as i maintain it the best i can. I figure when it's time to get into the C8 z06, my car should still be worth something still. At least 50k by the time the new Z is ready to come home with me.

I can't fully replace my corvette with the M3 though. They're not the same car obviously. The M3 will just be an addition.
Agreed. I’m not sure I’ll be able to give up the manual in the Z myself.

Also after owning the the Z I’m just not sure I would need the new Z06. Regular C8 or or the 340 or M3 is all plenty.

I never thought I’d say this but cars are quickly reaching a point where I’m not sure they need more power. The plus side is it makes a lot of the non-GTS/GT models for Porsche more attractive these days as they have also gotten faster.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Salespunk1745.00
      10-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #40
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
Agreed. I’m not sure I’ll be able to give up the manual in the Z myself.

Also after owning the the Z I’m just not sure I would need the new Z06. Regular C8 or or the 340 or M3 is all plenty.

I never thought I’d say this but cars are quickly reaching a point where I’m not sure they need more power. The plus side is it makes a lot of the non-GTS/GT models for Porsche more attractive these days as they have also gotten faster.
I've owned already 3 generations of the corvette, it would be foolish to not try to latest and greatest. GM's first attempt at finally creating the corvette (at least the z06 and up) as a supercar.

The C7 z06/zr1 could be "grouped" with supercars because of the performance but it lacks the qualities of it being an actual supercar.

Even if the new z06 comes out to be naturally aspirated (i hope not), then i think GM is onto something in creating their own GT3/RS like in the z06. Having a weight reduced NA platform that's all about track duty.

However there are so many rumors regarding this, i just can't wait to see what's the truth when they finally debut the car october 26. I already marked my calendar.

Some people said there's like 3 or 4 variants of the z06. And there won't be any ZR1 this time and GM will go right for the heavens and throw every piece of engineering they could at the almighty "ZORA" model. With a twin turbo hybrid AWD producing 1000hp. It'll be insane.

I just hope the new z06 is twin turbo though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #41
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Supposedly the new C8 Z06 was timed at 7:12 in traffic. How do folks think the xDrive G8x will stack up versus the C8 Z06?

Interesting comparison as the price points might be similar ball park.
I think the Z06 w/Z07 will be a 6:5X car. A lot has to do with tire technology and being able to put power down. The G8X, just like every M3/4 is based on a standard high production 3 series chassis. There's only so much you can do without sacrificing the things people expect these cars to have at their respective price points. I think it the measuring stick is the Nurb. I would venture to say they are 30 seconds apart.
You mentioned the xDrive, however is the xDrive actually faster around a track than the lighter RWD car?
Avaley729.00
JPM-3219.00
      10-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #42
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I think the Z06 w/Z07 will be a 6:5X car. A lot has to do with tire technology and being able to put power down. The G8X, just like every M3/4 is based on a standard high production 3 series chassis. There's only so much you can do without sacrificing the things people expect these cars to have at their respective price points. I think it the measuring stick is the Nurb. I would venture to say they are 30 seconds apart.
You mentioned the xDrive, however is the xDrive actually faster around a track than the lighter RWD car?

Yep just bumping this since seeing that car the Z07 is breaking 7s, so is the GT4 RS....

No comparison.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5468.00
      10-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #43
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've owned already 3 generations of the corvette, it would be foolish to not try to latest and greatest. GM's first attempt at finally creating the corvette (at least the z06 and up) as a supercar.

The C7 z06/zr1 could be "grouped" with supercars because of the performance but it lacks the qualities of it being an actual supercar.

Even if the new z06 comes out to be naturally aspirated (i hope not), then i think GM is onto something in creating their own GT3/RS like in the z06. Having a weight reduced NA platform that's all about track duty.

However there are so many rumors regarding this, i just can't wait to see what's the truth when they finally debut the car october 26. I already marked my calendar.

Some people said there's like 3 or 4 variants of the z06. And there won't be any ZR1 this time and GM will go right for the heavens and throw every piece of engineering they could at the almighty "ZORA" model. With a twin turbo hybrid AWD producing 1000hp. It'll be insane.

I just hope the new z06 is twin turbo though.
I guess it did turn out NA lol.

I'm not mad though. Because at least they extracted the most out of the engine. Plus it'll be the last of it's breed. Something to buy and hold onto for a very long time. That's my goal.
Appreciate 3