BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

10-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #23
BushwoodCC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

To each his/her own I guess. I take the M3/M4 on styling over the RS5 any day of the week. I just got the 2022 M3 Comp XDrive and it just has a presence that the Audi does not IMHO. I saw an RS5 on the freeway the other day, and couldn't tell it was anything until I saw the badging on the back...which I guess if you want it to be low profile, then maybe it's the car for you. But you're not really a low profile guy if you are trying to choose between an RS5 or an M4, LOL! The RS5 took off on the fast lane to flex, but I easily kept up with it in my M3. Anyway, my vote is for the M3 actually (not the M4), but get what you want. I know that I had the same feelings when I saw my car for the first time. I have no buyer's remorse on my purchase (at least not yet), and am loving every minute behind the wheel. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #24
CanesM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Twilight Purple/Ivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I was close to getting an RS5 2+ years ago (sportback) but decided two wait a year or so for the G80 M3 to come out... It ended up being 2+ years specially that I want AWD but I'm so happy I waited. The RS5 is a very nice car but in my opinion it doesn't have the character of a BMW which is what most of us BMW fanboys expect. And of course there's the killer performance of the G8x

I noticed you're listing "cooled seats" as an advantage for the BMW. Keep in mind those are only ventilated seats (not really cooled) and I've heard mixed reviews on their effectiveness. I specc'd them in my car because I think they'll help but I don't expect them to be a game changer...

It appears the RS5 will work well for you but I strongly recommend you take one out for a test drive.
IMO, the ventilated seats are worthless. I have them and I can't even tell when they're on.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #25
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I was close to getting an RS5 2+ years ago (sportback) but decided two wait a year or so for the G80 M3 to come out... It ended up being 2+ years specially that I want AWD but I'm so happy I waited. The RS5 is a very nice car but in my opinion it doesn't have the character of a BMW which is what most of us BMW fanboys expect. And of course there's the killer performance of the G8x

I noticed you're listing "cooled seats" as an advantage for the BMW. Keep in mind those are only ventilated seats (not really cooled) and I've heard mixed reviews on their effectiveness. I specc'd them in my car because I think they'll help but I don't expect them to be a game changer...

It appears the RS5 will work well for you but I strongly recommend you take one out for a test drive.
IMO, the ventilated seats are worthless. I have them and I can't even tell when they're on.
I've used them a couple of times and they made me more comfortable on a long drive in 80F+ weather.

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #26
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I was all about the RS5, until I started looking deeper into them. 444Hp just doesnt do it for me. This is one of the things that kept me out of the F80. And then watching this video, until the end, shows you why, when you barely tune it, its already done for.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #27
Nexus_One
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS

I test drove a fully loaded RS5 a few weeks ago, and the first thing I noticed was the torque-steer, especially at speeds over 65mph. It just didn't feel settled like I wanted it to, honestly my Camaro feels a hell of a lot better to me at higher speeds. The lack of a usable headrest also turned me off, that and no cooled seats, and the iPad on the dash.

That being said, it is a gorgeous car, especially with the carbon fiber package.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #28
mdz
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

I test drove RS4, which is technically exactly the same as RS5.

In my opinion in terms of handling, road feel, emotions it's more a competitor for m340i. M3 is much more aggresive, stiff. In comfort mode rs4 without pushing is in my opinion almost indistinguishable from normal A4. And it understeers since engine is screwed to front bumper. Torque steering is present aswell.

Also interior looks a bit outdated with tablet glued to center console (A4 of this generation is already in production for 5 years). It's also not as ergonomic to sit in as in BMW or Merc C-class, i.e. due to center armrest pushed far behind or not-adjustable headrests.

It's also more expensive than M3.

Only highlights are exterior (looks great!) and power (but it's still not as fast as new M3).

If you want ultra fast car, which is also very good over bumps it might be a good idea. But still, you can have m340i for almost half the price of RS4/RS5.
      10-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #29
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim_atx View Post
To each his/her own I guess. I take the M3/M4 on styling over the RS5 any day of the week. I just got the 2022 M3 Comp XDrive and it just has a presence that the Audi does not IMHO. I saw an RS5 on the freeway the other day, and couldn't tell it was anything until I saw the badging on the back...which I guess if you want it to be low profile, then maybe it's the car for you. But you're not really a low profile guy if you are trying to choose between an RS5 or an M4, LOL! The RS5 took off on the fast lane to flex, but I easily kept up with it in my M3. Anyway, my vote is for the M3 actually (not the M4), but get what you want. I know that I had the same feelings when I saw my car for the first time. I have no buyer's remorse on my purchase (at least not yet), and am loving every minute behind the wheel. Good luck.
This. I can never tell the difference between Audi models; you never know if it’s just an appearance package or what. The RS5 is way too tame in the looks department for me.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113227.00
      10-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #30
AJM1125
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

After previously owning a 2019 C63s AMG and a 2015 M4. I was intrigued by the RS5, looks great in and out, performance is there, as well as practically, but with that being said, I feel that with the current car market being the way it is stirred me away from the car. Examples that were low miles and clean were low to mid-ish 70s and the car would have been an 18 or 19 (sport-back). With that being said, I pulled the trigger on a G80 competition, paid just a bit more than it would have been for a used Audi. (Got the M3 brand new).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #31
mjbernatz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 4.0

If you value exterior aesthetics over performance and you feel the Audi looks better, then get the RS5. The rest of us will enjoy seeing your front end in our rear view mirrors.
Appreciate 0