BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #45
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Excited that I received my midpipe. Great construction.

NOT excited that they cut it into 3 pieces unlike what was shown in their video and website. Could have come as 1 piece in a smaller box than what I just received a front mount intercooler kit for the STI.

Also not psyched that the sent 2 pot-metal clamps instead of 4 of the SS BMW clamps

As soon as my QuickJack arrives I will throw this on and no more neutered G82
Appreciate 1
Fugazii234.50
      08-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #46
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Couple observations. 1. Its a true x which is good for exhaust scavenging and resonance cancellation (not a kiss). This is a positive for me 2. Whats the part number for the bmw ss ones? I will be driving in snow and dont want these rusting over hard
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #47
Soylent
Major
Rep

Looks like BMW 7560780 45Nm
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #48
Soylent
Major
Rep

Heads up on the clamps for the catback pipe to x-pipe connection. They are larger. Approximately 75 mm versus the 70 mm that fit the x-pipe to muffler connection. The 75 mm should be BMW 7560781 45 NM. I would measure yours when you get it as a pair of clamps, on ebay, is $100.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #49
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ill just take whatever comes in the box ��
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #50
Soylent
Major
Rep

Ok. Not that cost always correlates with quality. BMW clamps are SS and $50 each. Pot metal clamps are $7 each.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #51
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Ok. Not that cost always correlates with quality. BMW clamps are SS and $50 each. Pot metal clamps are $7 each.
As long as ss including nuts n bolts im ok with it. The only reason id go bmw if for ss. Im not sure what pot metal is.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #52
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
As long as ss including nuts n bolts im ok with it. The only reason id go bmw if for ss. Im not sure what pot metal is.
The metal looks to be rolled steel. Not stainless. Not galvanized. Like the surface of an unpainted roll bar. The block is aluminum and bolts look galvanized, not stainless

I will probably run the pot metal ones. If they start rusting then swap out for the BMW clamps.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #53
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I pm’ed psi those are stainless supposedly. But i see what you are saying.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #54
Soylent
Major
Rep

Maybe. Could be unpolished? Time will tell I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #55
Sean@PSI
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
Excited that I received my midpipe. Great construction.

NOT excited that they cut it into 3 pieces unlike what was shown in their video and website. Could have come as 1 piece in a smaller box than what I just received a front mount intercooler kit for the STI.

Also not psyched that the sent 2 pot-metal clamps instead of 4 of the SS BMW clamps

As soon as my QuickJack arrives I will throw this on and no more neutered G82

HI! - Thank you for purchasing our mid-pipe. We had to start cutting the exhaust to avoid freight shipment of the exhaust due to the length restrictions caused. Freight shipping limits where our product can be delivered and increases cost.

The BMW clamps will only work where it connects up to the OEM exhaust on the rear and the other (2) clamps are Vibrant T409 Stainless Steel and not pot metal.

They do physically look different from the OEM but are not low quality whatsoever.

Here is a link to the clamps:

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...e1246ca22bb453

Enjoy it and let me know if you have any more questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #56
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
HI! - Thank you for purchasing our mid-pipe. We had to start cutting the exhaust to avoid freight shipment of the exhaust due to the length restrictions caused. Freight shipping limits where our product can be delivered and increases cost.

The BMW clamps will only work where it connects up to the OEM exhaust on the rear and the other (2) clamps are Vibrant T409 Stainless Steel and not pot metal.

They do physically look different from the OEM but are not low quality whatsoever.

I'm surprised you guys didn't go with vibrant rear clamps too, 1176. Guessing the BMW clamps may be cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #57
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
I'm surprised you guys didn't go with vibrant rear clamps too, 1176. Guessing the BMW clamps may be cheaper?
BMW Clamps are more $ actually, and we wanted as many OEM pieces as possible.
Appreciate 1
PLife647.50
      08-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #58
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post

All good. The more I look at those clamps the better they look. They are longer than the BMW and have a nice sleeving action. Can't wait to get this on Friday after work. The pipes and welds are top notch.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #59
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

I received mine today. Very well packaged. I'll be installing mine tomorrow. Delivery leadtime was 8 weeks. A nice addition to the M4. The next wait for me will be an ECU tune when the tuners are able to unlock it which is only a matter of time.

Last edited by TexasEd; 08-05-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #60
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
I received mine today. Very well packaged. I'll be installing mine tomorrow. Delivery leadtime was 8 weeks. A nice addition to the M4. The next wait for me will be an ECU tune when the tuners are able to unlock it which is only a matter of time.
Hey TexasEd I am local and interested in purchasing one of these? Are you by chance in DFW? I would love to hear yours in person.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #61
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
Hey TexasEd I am local and interested in purchasing one of these? Are you by chance in DFW? I would love to hear yours in person.
I live near Austin but you are welcome to come down anytime.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #62
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK I have now installed the PSI midpipe on my 2021 M4 Competition. I ordered the midpipe in early June and it was delivered last week. I was very impressed with the professional packaging. PSI used heavy cardboard and strapping for the container and very substantial bubble wrap for the interior packaging to protect the contents.

The quality of the material and craftsmanship of the welds is first rate. The hanger locations were accurate and the bolt-on flanges were a perfect fitment. The included four clamps were the exact size with a nice snug fit on joining the pipes.

OK now for the install. I am not a young man but rather a guy in his 70's who is in good physical condition. I knew that I could handle the work if I simply took my time which I did do. I backed the rear wheels up on a ramp and used a heavy duty jack with stands for the side of the car to get the clearance that I needed to access the front exhaust flanges. They detached easily as did the hangars (one on each exhaust). I next removed the heavy aluminum plate that supports the rear resonator. In order to cut the two pipes I needed an electric saw which I did not have so I purchased an inexpensive reciprocating saw at Harbor Freight for $29. It was a simple and quick cut. I then attached both the right and left pipes to the exhaust flanges and both hangars. I next slid the pipe clamps onto the front and rear center section pipes and tightened them down. The installation was then complete. The setup was super tight with no wiggle at all. I am happy with my install and while it was not difficult it was a little strenuous for an old man. You young guys can probably handle it with no problem.

OK now for the trial run! I took the car out to a nearby highway for testing where I could drive slowly and then accelerate to higher speeds. All I can say is that I am 100% satisfied with the sound!! It is a vast improvement in all aspects of how the car sounds and accelerates when compared to stock. When driving normally the car is subdued but when accelerating the growl and rumbles show up; when putting the car in sport mode the sound kicks up to a deeper and throatier level. The exhaust that I removed weighed approximately 31 pounds on my scale. I did not weigh the midpipe but I would guess it weighs about 10 pounds.

I can safely state that those who choose to install the midpipe modification will be very happy with the results. I am very picky and was undecided on the modification until I actually drove the car. The midpipe modification is in my opinion money well spent.
Appreciate 2
m20e30871144.00
LuckyBrand1249.50
      08-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #63
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK I have now installed the PSI midpipe on my 2021 M4 Competition. I ordered the midpipe in early June and it was delivered last week. I was very impressed with the professional packaging. PSI used heavy cardboard and strapping for the container and very substantial bubble wrap for the interior packaging to protect the contents.

The quality of the material and craftsmanship of the welds is first rate. The hanger locations were accurate and the bolt-on flanges were a perfect fitment. The included four clamps were the exact size with a nice snug fit on joining the pipes.

OK now for the install. I am not a young man but rather a guy in his 70's who is in good physical condition. I knew that I could handle the work if I simply took my time which I did do. I backed the rear wheels up on a ramp and used a heavy duty jack with stands for the side of the car to get the clearance that I needed to access the front exhaust flanges. They detached easily as did the hangars (one on each exhaust). I next removed the heavy aluminum plate that supports the rear resonator. In order to cut the two pipes I needed an electric saw which I did not have so I purchased an inexpensive reciprocating saw at Harbor Freight for $29. It was a simple and quick cut. I then attached both the right and left pipes to the exhaust flanges and both hangars. I next slid the pipe clamps onto the front and rear center section pipes and tightened them down. The installation was then complete. The setup was super tight with no wiggle at all. I am happy with my install and while it was not difficult it was a little strenuous for an old man. You young guys can probably handle it with no problem.

OK now for the trial run! I took the car out to a nearby highway for testing where I could drive slowly and then accelerate to higher speeds. All I can say is that I am 100% satisfied with the sound!! It is a vast improvement in all aspects of how the car sounds and accelerates when compared to stock. When driving normally the car is subdued but when accelerating the growl and rumbles show up; when putting the car in sport mode the sound kicks up to a deeper and throatier level. The exhaust that I removed weighed approximately 31 pounds on my scale. I did not weigh the midpipe but I would guess it weighs about 10 pounds.

I can safely state that those who choose to install the midpipe modification will be very happy with the results. I am very picky and was undecided on the modification until I actually drove the car. The midpipe modification is in my opinion money well spent.
Great write up. Motivates me to put them on today. I was planing on using a reciprocating hack saw as well. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #64
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great write up. Motivates me to put them on today. I was planing on using a reciprocating hack saw as well. Glad to hear it worked for you.
You won't regret the install. Be sure to cut at the center dimple (there are three dimples on each pipe). I'm storing my oem exhaust in my garage for now but when trading or selling I doubt the dealer/buyer will want it.

Notwithstanding the slight horsepower improvement the weight savings is also a positive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #65
Soylent
Major
Rep

Quote:
You won't regret the install. Be sure to cut at the center dimple (there are three dimples on each pipe). I'm storing my oem exhaust in my garage for now but when trading or selling I doubt the dealer/buyer will want it.

Notwithstanding the slight horsepower improvement the weight savings is also a positive.
Roger on the center dimple. I was going to keep the stock exhaust for trade in time. In California they will probably need it due to smog testing. It will have to go in the garage next to my 2 son's stock exhausts. I feel like an auto parts horder.
Appreciate 1
m20e30871144.00
      08-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #66
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep

Little bump highlighting our beautiful in-house fabrication!

Appreciate 4
Patton2502938.00
tom @ eas8109.00
ChrisM41614.00