BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

05-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #1
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Break in service from non BMW mechanic

Hey all,

I have a local garage that I have always taken my cars too, they re bisch apporvd and the main mechanic cam runner up in bosch mechanic of the year. Id much rather takemy car to him for the break in service.

He has all the equipment to log the service with BMW etc and is BMW approved.

would BMW do anything extra that my guy couldnt he can reset the service shcedules etc, etc?

ALso in the UK something I wasnt aware of, is the 1st service included I assumed not?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkeygolbin View Post
Hey all,

I have a local garage that I have always taken my cars too, they re bisch apporvd and the main mechanic cam runner up in bosch mechanic of the year. Id much rather takemy car to him for the break in service.

would BMW do anything extra that my guy couldnt he can reset the service shcedules etc, etc?

ALso in the UK something I wasnt aware of, is the 1st service included I assumed not?
... um the schedule maintenance has always been complimentary for 3 or whatever years it is now and xx,xxx miles including the 1st for M cars. Didn't they explained this to you when you bought the car? I wouldn't mind taking it to that guy if BMW UK works with him, but I would take the complimentary services to BMW dealers. Just covering yourself just in case something happens to the car, BMW themselves were the ones you were taking to so they have no excuse not to fix it. Dealers (at least in America) can find excuses to void warranty (like blaming work from other mechanics). I've always taken my cars for their scheduled maintenance work until the warranty is over, use the resources that you paid for (price included with the purchase of the car). Use the money on mods instead.

Last edited by E90M3velocity; 05-07-2021 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkeygolbin View Post
Hey all,

You gonna void your warranty like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3velocity View Post
... um the schedule maintenance has always been complimentary for 3 or whatever years it is now and xx,xxx miles including the 1st for M cars. Didn't they explained this to you when you bought the car? I wouldn't mind taking it to that guy if BMW UK works with him, but I would take the complimentary services to BMW dealers. Just covering yourself just in case something happens to the car, BMW themselves were the ones you were taking to so they have no excuse not to fix it. Dealers (at least in America) can find excuses to void warranty (like blaming work from other mechanics). I've always taken my cars for their scheduled maintenance work until the warranty is over, use the resources that you paid for (price included with the purchase of the car). Use the money on mods instead.
Nop they never explained it. My last car was an m140i and paid for servicing.

Not sure if its different in the UK - I mena if its free I will take it to BMW themselves.

If thats the case can you use a different dealer to the one I bought it form?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:09 AM   #5
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

Just called dealer and BMW U and nop not free in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

Also the BMW dealership say wont effect thewarranty (ive never actually used BMW I always se the same guy for my cars as a good friend and amazing mechanic).

Only thing it may effect is final resale value - but this is kind of covered by the GFv
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Oh the complimentary services are a North American thing? If your BMW dealership says its ok to get the car service by your dude, then I would get that in writing.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:30 AM   #8
snarkeygolbin
Private
Rep

In the UK its law that manufacturers cant demand you get the servicing done at certain dealers. BMW's site and hand book says as long as they are BMW approved.

Wierd how NA gets in included, BMW wanted 486 quid / aabout 650 usd for the service and they had to find out what it needs as my local one has not done one yet.
Appreciate 0